Anniversary Store

Options

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Sadly I have little of Colossus (6/13) because I listened to forum advice . If you read his release forum from March 9th, 90% of the reaction was “ He sucks ! I’m not wasting my hoard on him “ and yet everyone I face has him champed between 450-460. 
    That’s why I recommend taking forum advice with heaps of salt (I’m aware of the irony that this is advice in itself). Especially take note of who is giving what advice.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sadly I have little of Colossus (6/13) because I listened to forum advice . If you read his release forum from March 9th, 90% of the reaction was “ He sucks ! I’m not wasting my hoard on him “ and yet everyone I face has him champed between 450-460. 
    But he was paired with SW who all people agreed she was a must, while knull is slow. Colossus is a lot better than knull or of course ronan.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,919 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Most of the discussion here about characters seems to happen pre-release, with a very small amount immediately after release, so it tends to mostly be speculation.  Speculation is fun!  But we all get it wrong pretty frequently, because it's pretty hard to judge MPQ characters on paper.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Save up your cp and hope that he appears in anniversary store.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That’s why I recommend taking forum advice with heaps of salt (I’m aware of the irony that this is advice in itself). Especially take note of who is giving what advice.
    That is so odd. I understood Colossus as meta or meta-adjacent, and probably a great solo 5*, after reading these boards. Odd how different people can read the same threads and come to different conclusions. (This is not a brag, I thought Knull would end up being meta. A broken clock is right twice a day)
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Colossus seemed pretty great from the get go. Sadly I was also a loser in the RNG stakes but I got Switch champed so can't complain too much. I believe the forum made a mistake on Deadpool also. And Carnage. And Onslaught. Oh and believe it or not, nearly Kitty Pryde.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Colossus is great but he's too plain or straightforward. There aren't a lot of strategies you can play with him: you either buy time for your other teammates or you match-damage opponents to death. At least his active powers complement each other and he can remove enemy special tile(s), which is great against Wanda. Remove her repeater and unload all your power. 

For lower star players, he helps to reduce those match damage against other 5*. Pair Karnak with him and he won't be afraid of Circuit Breaker taking him out on the next turn.

I think he and Wanda is a gift in SCL 10 Challenge Node. 
  • tupacboy
    tupacboy Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Options
    how many more days till anniversary?  
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    ~65 days.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Remember *everyone* gets to vote in the poll, including children, very casual players, 2* players, players who don't have a 5* rostered and don't know anything about the 5* meta.  One of the winners is usually a character who's popular among Marvel fans but terrible in MPQ.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Remember *everyone* gets to vote in the poll, including children, very casual players, 2* players, players who don't have a 5* rostered and don't know anything about the 5* meta.  One of the winners is usually a character who's popular among Marvel fans but terrible in MPQ.
    *cough* xfw/oml... not the worst, but nowhere near the best.  surprised spidey doesn't get more love since he's arguably the most profitable/popular character... 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,713 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That doesn’t seem true for 5* last year does it?

Okoye apoc and kitty iirc?
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Huh, looks like last year enough powergamer vets voted to cancel them out.

I'm sure all the kids and casuals were very happy with that set -- the 5th most important character from the Black Panther movie, the villain from the worst X-Men movie, and a hero who hasn't even been in a movie yet!

The year before was OML/Kitty/Strange, which is more typical of the votes in the past.

I vote for Doc Ock every year.
  • tupacboy
    tupacboy Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Options
    i wish they did it every quarter... so the newer players have a chance at getting meta 5 star.

i'm 3 years in and can't imagine being a new player now with no real means to compete for at least 2 years... personally i feel that's a LONG time for a mobile game... but I might be in the minority on that.
  • Bad
    Options
    tupacboy said:
    i wish they did it every quarter... so the newer players have a chance at getting meta 5 star.

i'm 3 years in and can't imagine being a new player now with no real means to compete for at least 2 years... personally i feel that's a LONG time for a mobile game... but I might be in the minority on that.
    Taking advice from vets, a new player can favorite a meta 5* character and his 4* feeder. Achieving milestone he can get a lot of extra covers of that 5*. All those bonuses were'nt there for me when I started.
    So the most important thing is to ask for advice.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    One year is all you need to jump into 5* land, depending on how you play.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    tupacboy said:

You've been playing for 3 years -- if a new player could start the game and beat you after a month, how would you feel about that?  Would that be fair? 

Even if you're not "competitive," if you value placement rewards at all, you're competing.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Huh, looks like last year enough powergamer vets voted to cancel them out.

I'm sure all the kids and casuals were very happy with that set -- the 5th most important character from the Black Panther movie, the villain from the worst X-Men movie, and a hero who hasn't even been in a movie yet!
    Kitty was in like 3 of the x-men movies,  and apocalypse was not the villain of dark phoenix :D
  • Bad
    Options
    The best thing that could happen to Xmen is marvel finally owning the rights.
    It is so unfair for those great characters...
  • fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    That doesn’t seem true for 5* last year does it?

Okoye apoc and kitty iirc?
    And this month we had Apoc, Kitty and Deadpool in the fan favourites. OK, Deadpool is hardly meta, but he's still pretty good and I expect part of the reason he's in there is all the people realising they need a cover for him to get the extra spicy token each day. Anyway, I suspect this means that Kitty will be in the next fan favourites store too. When was the last time she wasn't in one?