Week 7 — 5* boost week (Jean Grey, Killmonger, Mags and Storm)

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow, now I see why so many say that the pvp is a bloodpath. KM black passive is just the MVP.
    I actually play the game differently when playing against KM. To make sure my Chavez don’t generate critical tiles I didn’t boost any ap and leave all match 4 and Match 5 to the AI. I will let them generate the critical tile and leave it to them to match. 
    Colossus was crucial to reduce the damage from a match critical.
    MPQ play so differently.  
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed said:
    Wow, now I see why so many say that the pvp is a bloodpath. KM black passive is just the MVP.
    I actually play the game differently when playing against KM. To make sure my Chavez don’t generate critical tiles I didn’t boost any ap and leave all match 4 and Match 5 to the AI. I will let them generate the critical tile and leave it to them to match. 
    Colossus was crucial to reduce the damage from a match critical.
    MPQ play so differently.  
    I agree completely!  Killmonger totally warps the game, and this PvP is very different and refreshing.  The really fun thing about it is that it's not random at all.  Sometimes AC throws a crit into a match, but a lot of times she doesn't, and you need to trick the AI into making those matches.

I'm not quite as afraid of making critical matches because I'm using Phoenix to take them and she can resurrect.  You can also load up on red AP to avoid getting socked by Killmonger.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magneto slaps so hard when you prioritize his blue. I sent him airborne with 30 yellow in the bank and he came down and killed a full health colossus followed by a full health electro. The power still has a flat tire for not generating yellow every turn he is airborne, but boosted he is a lot of fun.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magneto slaps so hard when you prioritize his blue. I sent him airborne with 30 yellow in the bank and he came down and killed a full health colossus followed by a full health electro. The power still has a flat tire for not generating yellow every turn he is airborne, but boosted he is a lot of fun.
    Prioritise his blue? I think you meant prioritise his yellow. I have an issue with saving enough yellow so that his blue can maximise the damage. 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor

Yep. It's a shame he's not a villain because he could have worked every well with Electro.  

Mine deals something like 9700 dmg per yellow ap threshold.  It's nuts when boosted.  

I noticed when doing the chavez pvp, the most commonly used boosted was Killmonger, then a few storms and almost no M5gs and J5ans. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,083 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've always been a points player but that didn't work out in Chavez' PvP. The sad thing is that once I realised I had done 32 battles without even crossing over 800 I decided to try and go for Wins but it was too late with the time left and I could only get up to 37 wins. Strangely I was out unshielded without a single God boosted character in the last 40 minutes and never got hit once so either I was flying under MMR or everybody was literally shielded up.
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 728 Critical Contributor
    This is the 1st week I'm missing the "meta" boost in Killmonger, he's one of my worst covered, languishing at 5 covers with Heimdall & Daken.  

So no surprises, this week has been my least favorite in terms of boosts so far. 

In PVE I resorted to old classic Thorkoye/Polaris on some nodes.  Compare to prior weeks where I mostly used at least 1 or 2 boosted characters for PVE help.

Playing Chavez's PVP was a question of skipping to avoid opponents KM, the crit-happy Chavez was a liability against opponent KMs I quickly found out.  Since 5* boosts appeared I've been chasing 1200 most PVPs, yesterday I sneaked 1k and shielded.  See the same happening in the next 2 events.

Missing KM is less of the issue, more that Storm & Mags lack synergy as both need yellow to shine and are 1 trick ponies.  Mags has a delayed nuke, which can do good damage but takes soo long to pull off.  Storm has the AOE but needs to fire yellow first for decent damage.  Their other powers are really underwhelming.  My Jean is 4/4/4 so usable, but she's so outdated in terms of health and damage she struggles.  

Roll on next week!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bit the bullet and went in with +50% critical boost and + 50% yellow/red match damage boost against Killmonger in Chavez PvP. I used more healthpacks but it worked for me.
  • entrailbucket
    edited July 2021
    The America Chavez event was 100% Killmonger, or at least, everyone who had him ran him.

The Electro event was absolutely *wild*.  I saw all 4 of the boosted guys in all of the different possible combinations, plus multiple different teams with a boosted 5* and a meta guy, plus the regular meta teams.

From 0 to 1200, I don't think I saw more than two different players running the same team.  I can't recall that ever happening before.
  • DAZ0273
    Apocalypse, Iceman (again), Kingpin, Loki are up next.
  • HoundofShadow
    Apocalypse and Iceman then.  :D
  • DAZ0273
    Boosted 5* Black Widow (along with all others) for first PvP event too although not sure how many levels she will get but potentially another messy one.
  • HoundofShadow
    Good luck to those without a usable Apocalypse. This will be an Onslaught. 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    Boosted 5* Black Widow (along with all others) for first PvP event too although not sure how many levels she will get but potentially another messy one.

The Xman boost for the Xman pvp some events ago barely gave any levels atall. Hopefully the 5star black widow characters don't get a big boost (hate fighting them).  

Boosted Apoc. hahahaha. Teams are going to need a lot of upfront damage / ap boosts to be able to atleast stun or kill him.
  • DAZ0273
    Srheer0 said:
    DAZ0273 said:

The Xman boost for the Xman pvp some events ago barely gave any levels atall. Hopefully the 5star black widow characters don't get a big boost (hate fighting them).  

Boosted Apoc. hahahaha. Teams are going to need a lot of upfront damage / ap boosts to be able to atleast stun or kill him.

With Iceman boosted too, you might have to kill or stun him first as Apoc will be immune. Lucky Quicksilver in MPQ  is not a mutant as he is the next PvP!
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,219 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's really sad when I saw a 550+ Jean and thought that was a winnable fight.  Whereas I was skipping the other 3 at 400ish... 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    What a great event for Killmonger.  Aside from the obvious with pvp.  You could also run km Chavez on the pve essentials.  As a 75k nuke,  you could let the ai chase the crit and speed wipe the enemy.  It’s a lotta levels for him to get back to 600, so won’t go outta my way to chase, but I’ll def look for ways to play him in the future.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is anyone else having cascade-related bugs with that black passive though? I've been watching it, and there were a large number of matches where I'd fire off red, end up with 2 stable crits, and then watch the enemy killmonger cascade into them a lot of times, and then sort of feel like they ended up with all the red AP at the end of it and I was left holding the damage bag. Very odd. I can't tell if it's just a mirror match thing, a cascade thing, or some combination, or if it's even truly going on, but it doesn't feel "right" a lot of the time.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is anyone else having cascade-related bugs with that black passive though? I've been watching it, and there were a large number of matches where I'd fire off red, end up with 2 stable crits, and then watch the enemy killmonger cascade into them a lot of times, and then sort of feel like they ended up with all the red AP at the end of it and I was left holding the damage bag. Very odd. I can't tell if it's just a mirror match thing, a cascade thing, or some combination, or if it's even truly going on, but it doesn't feel "right" a lot of the time.
    Yes sometimes happened to me. It seemed AI wasnt doing damage criticals cascades or I could be pretty toasted. And AI wasnt killed in exchange. 
    It seems KM will be one of the few 5*s I will be playing on his event from the beginning to the end.
    I will miss his 45k extra nuke damage. 
  • entrailbucket
    I'd say Killmonger and Archangel are the biggest surprises so far.  Killmonger is closer to usable unboosted but I don't think he's quite there. 

He's just outside the meta tier though, with guys like Daredevil and Iceman.  I wonder who else from the newer characters will be in that group?