Week 7 — 5* boost week (Jean Grey, Killmonger, Mags and Storm)

Options
Phumade
Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
Hmmm. Interesting.   These 5* are fairly recent.  Tbh I never really played these char on their debut.  They were always 3rd options even on there debut.  I’ll be interested to really try them out

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,174 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looks like chronology has gone out the window. Don't mind though, it's fun to mix and match 5*.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,211 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This seems curated somehow.  Phoenix wants to make match-5s and Killmonger wants to punish you for making match-5s.  I don't know if there are other similar connections.

Anyway!  Killmonger should get used quite a bit, I think he's a little above mediocre but he never cracked the meta. 

I honestly have no idea what Magneto even does.  I don't think I've seen him in PvP once and I don't think I've ever used him.

Storm is secretly kind of ok.  She's frequently the MVP of puzzle gauntlet...I'm not sure how she'll play in PvP though.  She's another one I don't think I've ever seen.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Options
    All three can potentially create match-5 via changing of tiles colours and Killmonger counters all of them. That's the theme that I see. What's more interesting is to see whether they change the boost level for pvp.

1 cover 5* at 255 gets boosted by 113 levels.
    Baby champed 5* gets boosted by 119 levels.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Looks like chronology has gone out the window. Don't mind though, it's fun to mix and match 5*.

Multiple reasons in my opinion.
    For starters if you go by order then you are gonna have weeks with multiple top tier characters boosted making it even harder for those without. As an example at one point Iceman, Professor X, Carnage and Beta Ray Bill were all released in a row. If you get any combination of those boosted at the same time its gonna be rough. Apocalypse and iHulk were only separated by Yelena. Wanda, Colossus and Knull all in a row etc.
    This way also gives older and newer players a chance to have boosted at the same time. In my alliance there are some that only have older champed 5s and some that only have newer champed 5s. This way both can have some skin in the game.
    And last the newer characters already have more health and match damage anyways so this possibly narrows down on having so many heavy at the same point down the road.

• Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Yeah it’s great to see them stepping in so soon and tinkering.
    I saw someone saying that skipping characters was a nerf alert.  To me, totally the opposite.
    It’s  a recognition of how those shouldn’t be boosted and how this is proposing a counter meta that will play out over time.  
     This will keep Okoye and Apoc and Kitty viable for the future.  
    Doesn’t mean now and then they couldn’t toss it in to mix things up, but those characters really shouldn’t be part of any regular schedule.

It all definitely needs tweaking and this is a great sign that they realize that.
    I would even propose that maybe 1 or 2 god boosts each round, rather than 4.  Even 3 would be better than 4.  4 is too many.  Hopefully between this and maybe playing with boost level will result in something good for everyone,
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looks like I am going to be mostly dead in PvP this week! Will have to see how my unboosted champs match up.
    I was looking forward to some boosted JJ. :( Oh well, she will turn up at some point.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2021
    Options
    3 of them are mutants. That could be a connection.  

I have all of them champed but J5an. So it will be a good week for me, I do really like killmonger's power design. His red and pink powers deal a surprising amount of damage with 5 covers.

Will be interesting to see if the boost makes m5gs in any way scary. All I remember is he made a bunch of protect tiles and maybe did some special tile conversion shenanigans. 
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    My Mags is at 1/2/2 so pretty pathetic. I think his blue can hit pretty hard but of course you need yellow AP and Mags does bugger all to help you get it when he is airbourne.
    I am always wary of fighting Killmonger - he can get out of control at a moments notice. Mine is again a sad bench warmer. So Storm and Jean will have to try and step up,although I already know that Jean cannot from first round. Storm isn't champed but at least is well covered so she might be able to do something.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The first pvp of the new season features the Queen of critical tile, America Chavez. Killmonger is going to have a field day with her. Throw Colossus in and let opponents match all the critical tiles.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is a total bloodbath and the MVP is Killmonger. Next pvp without chavez should be a little less bloody and randomly and less health pack eater.
    But what a funny event lol!
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For those in America’s PVP is the boost still 100 levels?
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The boost is as high as in the previous weeks.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    119 levels as always.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Maybe the answer is just simply having 5* PvP. One God boosted essential and maybe the other boosted 5's that week get 50 levels. It will still mean 5* domination for those who have champs but it might open things up a little and some of the 5's have never even had their own PvP event.
    Whoever decided to pair Chavez with Killmonger was a bit of  a sadist though!
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Maybe the answer is just simply having 5* PvP. One God boosted essential and maybe the other boosted 5's that week get 50 levels. It will still mean 5* domination for those who have champs but it might open things up a little and some of the 5's have never even had their own PvP event.
    If they reduce the boost level, nobody will use the boosted 5s.  The majority of these guys really need +100 levels to be usable at all -- at +50 all the meta 5* completely outclass them.

They could fix this by redoing every single 5* in the game so they're as good as the meta 5*, or they could...address...the 3-4 guys who are way too good, but one of those options takes them a very long time and a ton of effort, and the other option upsets the players.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    If they reduce the boost level, nobody will use the boosted 5s.  The majority of these guys really need +100 levels to be usable at all -- at +50 all the meta 5* completely outclass them.
    This! I got nervous in the other boost thread when someone said they were only boosted 9 levels, though that’s because it was a special themed PVP. Glad we’re back to our regularly scheduled god boosting!
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    What if...the 5* boost list is being curated based on the PvP events that week?  Like, for the AC event, choosing Phoenix and Killmonger as partners/counters for AC makes sense.

The next event will be the Electro debut.  I wonder if the feature after that will have some synergy with Storm and/or Magneto?  Or does Electro have some synergy with those guys?
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So this will be the first week where I don't have one of the boosted 5* championed, and 3 of 4 are really low covered. do I now have to start whining that its not fair ;)

Still loving using characters I've never bothered with, will probably just be in PVE this time but still fun 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Killmonger is absolutely *obscene* with the boost applied.  This is the perfect example of a character who's mediocre and completely ignored, who becomes one of the best in the game when boosted.  If you don't have him this week you might be in trouble.

I'd think long and hard about skipping (or just getting one cover of) any future mediocre 5*, especially now that the boosts are less predictable. 

Ronan might be bad compared to the meta guys when he's not boosted, but +100 levels is just a totally different story.
  • Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I liked it when Daredevil was in it. I liked it still when it was Archangel... even though I don't even have a single cover of him yet.

But now... hmmm not so much.