***** Darren Cross (Yellowjacket) *****

Options

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Options
    If Invis protected you from AOE, he'd be meta, but since it doesn't (and really it maybe shouldn't, just saying that's the meta right now) I agree he might not be.
    It should NOT protect from AoE, some chars would be pretty borken otherwise.

Devs created Airbone for that. Sadly there are very few good airbone chars (another recent example of how to add a pretty awful airbone power was 5* Magneto).

iHulk is pretty tricky, his black makes a lot of sense with the rest of his kit, but it is true than on its own it is awful. AW black is different though, he always does more damage to the other team than to himself (as it is AoE damage), and we have always had self-damage chars so I think that power is ok. You need 6 black for him to start damaging himself (at one cover), so if you have problems with that, dont collect black or spend it fast. You might not like self-harm chars, but as a power it is ok.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's hard to find characters that have a black power that costs less than 6 though. By the time you get more than six AW is consuming one per turn so it's harder to get your black powers off to drain the AP. I fully agree about ihulk being a different, and much worse, kettle of fish but AW is, to my kind at least, badly designed. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can can eventually see a 5* character with a similar power to Quake or nightcrawler.  Both are really good anti AOE for the 4* tier.  If a 5* comes out who can hit hard and be a good anti AOE they could be meta.

as it is for a non meta character Yellowjacket is pretty good
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I don't know where they got that comment from but I saw it mentioned a few times over the past years.

As for Yellow Jacket, you  can't stack his black power and the additional damage applies after the calculation for both green hits. However, his blue power adds x damage to each hit of his green power.

I think many might have missed that Yellow Jacket has to be the one who makes those three coloured matches in order to increase the turn of his invisibility. If you have other characters tanking one of those 3 colours for him, then it might be a big deal. At least, this is how I interpret this part of his ability.

"If Yellowjacket makes a Black, Blue, or Green match while Invisible, he stays Invisible for an extra turn."

His best and only build is 5/5/3, because green at 5 covers destroy 1 more enemy SAP tile and deals an extra 398 damage for each hit. So, it's not worth sacrificing the other 2 excellent powers for a 5 in green, unless you have someone in mind for either black or green.
  • LakeStone
    LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
    Options
    mbaren said:
    Shouldn't that black power be "Cross YouR Heart"?
    Yes, that's correct.  Fixed that copy just now.  Thanks!
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Well, that was pretty interesting.  Ant man is a pushover and its easy to explore the character. 
    As I thought its possible to store 2 times adding the damage.  Then even he deals his 3500 damage while firing his black.
    Then I went invisible and he released the 2 charges with it.
    That mean he could do huge damage with green while being invisible and storing 2 times black. Not needing any multipliers helping him, although being slow. And nuking matches while invisible.  I think this is a pretty funny character who can do big (small? :D )things on his own. 

About my champed characters,  among my almost 15 characters Im using 9 of them usually on pve, perhaps all of them if things get thight and health packs are needed.
    I could use more or them if I was not always in hurry and trying to save time. 
    Sometimes it happens that I forgot to use that 4* who was so good on that same node last time, because I really wanted to play with that last 5*.
    And Im happy on champing with them and playing them. 
    On pvp of course its limited to 3, but that is just normal. 
  • Polares
    Options
    After playing him I will say, he is decent, he is also fun, but nothing else. As a stand alone char he is no better than 5* Spidey Peter for example, and he doesnt have a great team to fit in, so again, just another decent char that wont be used very much when he is not featured. The only thing he might make him special is his blue power, that invis might be useful at some point in some crazy hard node in scl10.

Regarding the roster. In PvP you must use the best chars possible if you want to win, no way around that. PvE was a bit more open in the past, but now at scl10 I would say you also need to use the best chars, so yeah we are kinda forced into using the same best 5s everywhere. We use Okoye, Thor, Apoc, BRB, Kitty and Hulk everywhere and there is not that much space for anybody else. 

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares said:
    After playing him I will say, he is decent, he is also fun, but nothing else. As a stand alone char he is no better than 5* Spidey Peter for example, and he doesnt have a great team to fit in, so again, just another decent char that wont be used very much when he is not featured. The only thing he might make him special is his blue power, that invis might be useful at some point in some crazy hard node in scl10.

Regarding the roster. In PvP you must use the best chars possible if you want to win, no way around that. PvE was a bit more open in the past, but now at scl10 I would say you also need to use the best chars, so yeah we are kinda forced into using the same best 5s everywhere. We use Okoye, Thor, Apoc, BRB, Kitty and Hulk everywhere and there is not that much space for anybody else. 

Here is where I will disagree with you in PVE.  If the 5* who is essential in PVE is fin and or useful I will use them on hard nodes and some times the other essential nodes in PVE.  There are other characters like Kingpin now who is just useless even with the 100 level buff.  I feel Yellowjacket falls into the first category when he is essential in PVE he will be fun to play then will go collect dust. He could even be a character you bring as a 3rd for fun in SIM when messing around
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I can only assume that maybe they are using up some inventory? I was also expecting Wanda but then I guess we do have a movie coming out (at some point, maybe!) that has her heavilly featured so they might be waiting for then. 
    I was hoping for Cardigan Vision. 
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If Invis protected you from AOE, he'd be meta, but since it doesn't (and really it maybe shouldn't, just saying that's the meta right now) I agree he might not be.
    Did invisible used to protect from AOE?  I swear 4PX used to go invis and be untouchable as long as that tile wasn't destroyed.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    it hasn't for quite a long time if it ever did; like some years now
  • Polares
    edited January 2021
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Polares said:

Here is where I will disagree with you in PVE.  If the 5* who is essential in PVE is fin and or useful I will use them on hard nodes and some times the other essential nodes in PVE.  There are other characters like Kingpin now who is just useless even with the 100 level buff.  I feel Yellowjacket falls into the first category when he is essential in PVE he will be fun to play then will go collect dust. He could even be a character you bring as a 3rd for fun in SIM when messing around
    If the char that is featured is good, sure, I would use them too, we dont actually disagree on that. Those extra 100 levels to chars that are good usually makes them great (they jump a tier because of those extra 100 levels). I will also say that depending on who it is, if it doesnt pair well with any of the meta chars, then I might not use it, and go back to meta chars only.

The problem for a lot of players though, is that you dont get those 5s champed until they are going to get out of Latest, and at that point they are just featured once a year :( (but that is another problem)
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime said:
    Polares said:

It makes no difference to me, even with one cover and my baby 5* roster I don’t struggle with hard nodes or essentials no matter who is featured. Variety is good but it’s just another 300 pulls to put 3 more barely used characters.

Of course placement is different in 10 but I don’t play for that only progression.

Will keep on hoarding, I’m at the point where I wish they did a fan fav vault every 4 months or so.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2021
    Options
    The only thing that hurts him currently is he won't do well against ihulk/adam. Which makes him "bad" right now, but he's a good character.

If you aren't fighting a AOE team he's pretty strong and he can fight brb/kitty teams really well.

even then he has a pretty good nuke and can heal.

I'd have to play him a bit more but currently I think he's really good especially with another true healer. What I need to know is if the stores on his black power stack and if they do then him and Okoye looking really nice
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    They don't stack. If you fire his black twice in a row, your black power will deal the "energised" damage. Likewise, your green power benefits from only one energised damage for two hits. The calculation would be (hit x 2) + energised damage.
  • Bad
    Options
    They don't stack. If you fire his black twice in a row, your black power will deal the "energised" damage. Likewise, your green power benefits from only one energised damage for two hits. The calculation would be (hit x 2) + energised damage.
    I checked it. The black power stacks. But its just his final punch. He fires a power like another black or invisibility, final punch from black. He fires green, final punch.
    So his black is only for healing him and a final punch to the next power.
    Storing 2 or more charges, final punch stronger released.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I'm not sure if we have the same definition of stack.  :|

When I said stack, I meant when you fire black twice, your green power won't gain additional two "energised" damage. It will gain only one.

For example, 

1. Fire black and gain energised damage for next power fired.
    2. Fire black again. Deals energised damage and gain energised damage for next power fired.
    3. Fire green. Damage = (green x 2 hit) + 1 energised damage, instead of (green x 2 hit) + (energised damage x 2).

• Bad
    Options
    By the fact is easy to check against ant man, but without using invisibility because that ruined my calculations before. Black its not stacking no matter how many times its fired.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thanks Hound for definitively stating how that works.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,286 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I like him.  But he is very "puzzley" in a good way.  You really need to watch and be careful to fire everything in the proper order to maximize his usefulness.  Which means the AI won't have a clue how to use him so you never want to leave him out on defense.