***** Darren Cross (Yellowjacket) *****

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can only assume that maybe they are using up some inventory? I was also expecting Wanda but then I guess we do have a movie coming out (at some point, maybe!) that has her heavilly featured so they might be waiting for then. I would have rather had now.
    As for Yellowjacket he seems like he might be quite fun to play with a varied kit but obviously he isn't going to do much against the Ihulkoye teams out there smashing him with green passive aoe's every turn for free.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    Bad said:

About this character, is a good work and he can hit hard in the future. 
    My five star roster is littered with such characters. Where I’ve pulled on the advice that they will be good in the future. You know how many of them I’ve revisited since, none. Unless you are a collector there’s zero reason to pull for this or Adam in the hope they get good later. Save the pulls for the hope of something meta or truly top tier and if by some complete miracle they become useful there will be a vault to get them later down the road.

I pull for meta or as good as and the only person I’ve ever regretted missing is Clint when he became part of the cap meta. Over half the 5* I have, I regret getting more than one cover for, what I should have done is get more okoye.
    I am becoming more in line to agree with your line of thinking.  Hoarding for the next big Meta 5* and getting 2-3 5* above 500 will end up to make you gaming experience much better than having everyone at 450.

as someone who has been more of a gotta champ them all one benefit I feel in this approach is when I have champed the 3 LL my PVE experience in CL10 feels a lot easier.  When you have the 5* essential character champed and they are fairly decent PVE is easier and less frustrating.  The same could be said in having a 550 Okoye too.

• mbaren
    mbaren Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Shouldn't that black power be "Cross YouR Heart"?
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 352 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I am very surprised that the new 5* isn't a character from WandaVision, and very disappointed that he doesn't use Swarm tiles, but otherwise I like him much, much more than Mags or Adam Warlock.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    Bad said:

My five star roster is littered with such characters. Where I’ve pulled on the advice that they will be good in the future. You know how many of them I’ve revisited since, none.

C5rol got better after her release and without a buff.
    And they nerfed her for it.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've never really liked this version of Yellowjacket starting from the first time I saw the Antman trailer. It would have been nice to see classic Yellowjacket but I guess we get what we get.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 441 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Rhipf said:
    I've never really liked this version of Yellowjacket starting from the first time I saw the Antman trailer. It would have been nice to see classic Yellowjacket but I guess we get what we get.
    More of the fault of the movie really. Most MCU villians are one-note characters and killed off after they´ve served their purpose. I don´t even remember what happen to Yellowjacket in the movie.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bzhai said:
    Rhipf said:
    More of the fault of the movie really. Most MCU villians are one-note characters and killed off after they´ve served their purpose. I don´t even remember what happen to Yellowjacket in the movie.
    Shrunk out of existence in our reality
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's a good thing you guys don't play Marvel Contest of Champion. If you thought Yellow Jacket is bad/relatively unknown... 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,713 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    Bad said:

My five star roster is littered with such characters. Where I’ve pulled on the advice that they will be good in the future. You know how many of them I’ve revisited since, none.

So yeah backs up my point. So one character in years got slightly better for a tiny amount of time because of a broken release.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    Borstock said:
    Bad said:

So yeah backs up my point. So one character in years got slightly better for a tiny amount of time because of a broken release.

I want you to be wrong. But I don't believe you are.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    Borstock said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    Bad said:

5 spiderman got better... But it's 5 spiderman.

Carnage

Those are the only 2 5's that I think people were like meh,  on release that ended up having some play in meta later on. 

Over all your right though, which tells me something is fundamentally wrong with how they do 5's.

If a 5 isn't good out the gate they'll probably never be good.

This also goes back around to why they need to do a rebalance each season, even if it's just on one 5 a season.

Or releasing characters that have heavy synergy with older 5s
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They said that not every 5* has to be good. They are fine with that. So, it's a conscious decision that they made. 

I saw this being mentioned by other posters before, so all those veterans can help to verify whether the devs actually said that.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They said that not every 5* has to be good. They are fine with that. So, it's a conscious decision that they made. 

I saw this being mentioned by other posters before, so all those veterans can help to verify whether the devs actually said that.
    Yeah, I don't think every 5 needs to be good either, but I think every 5 should have at least one ability that makes them want to get played, 5 wasp being bad but having swarm tokens that are super good is an example I'd use.

you could leave everything about her the same and just what a swarm token does and all of a sudden while not meta or even really good, I might want to play with the character because she has something unique and cool and powerful that has good synergy with something else.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,713 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    Borstock said:
    Tony_Foot said:
    Bad said:

5 spiderman got better... But it's 5 spiderman.

Carnage

Which 5 star spidey? BSSM was already of use in the old man Logan meta. Parker, well I’m still waiting for that 5* web tile partner  :D

5* carnage I found useful anyway, but I could easily not use him for months at a time. Not having him on my roster really would make no difference. Like 17 or so of the others out my 22 champs. I stopped a long while ago pulling for anything not top tier and it’s made zero difference. I can easily get CL10 done and meet my pvp goals. One cover is enough on poor characters.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I’m not sure where that pronouncement was made, but back when the tier was launched 5*s were supposed to be so exclusive that they would be valuable from 1 cover onward. But I think that ship has obviously sailed some time ago.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The whole "useful at 1 cover" schtick was never really true barring a few rare exceptions. Obviously the most notable one was OML Yellow which a low level player could really use to drag out their playtime. I think Kitty does something at 1 yellow too but I got her yellow last so don't really know whether the boost train takes off that low. I had a one cover Hawkeye for the longest time that completely relies on countdown spamming which back then was pretty slim pickings. He was useless.
    I think there is an even bigger issue though.
    I managed to get the wrong colour for a single cover iHulk in black - so not only was I having to tackle the 5E with a single cover 5* but he was actively contributing to killing himself and then coming back from death to help kill my team too! The AI always seemed able to hit him too. It was like smashing yourself in the face with a baseball bat! Adam Warlock has similar (though less bad) issues that demand that you actually have to seek a second cover to stop the bleeding. I think things like this should also be factored into 5* design - not only should new 5* not be "bad", they should not actually be detrimental to play just because RNG screwed you over. With iHulk I wanted more covers obviously but that was not to be my fate until later and he slipped away at a pathetic cover spread but a character like Adam I feel kind'a annoyed that I had to chase a different cover just to stop him being an actual liability when I am forced to use him in multiple PvE and I don't even really like him.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I totally agree on Adam. I have one black cover. Folks with reasonable rosters can work around it but for some people he will be their boosted damage dealer. In the 5e node of scl8 say, paired with a couple of 4*s.

What does he bring to the table there? He harms himself, over and over and over. Not only that but he demands health packs just to keep using him. That feels like bad design. He's no one-black-cover ihulk - that's next level awful - but it's still more a hindrance than a help. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    after playing Yellowjacket multiple times just on the one node of his introducing event I am actually pleased with this character.  His black is true healing and once invisible was really easy to keep him invisible.  I also like his animations.  I don’t know if he will be a big Meta, but when essential in PVE he will be fun to play and more than a meat shield.  When he is essential in PVE I would probably bring him as my 3rd in all hard nodes.  He will be useful and make the game fun when using him.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If Invis protected you from AOE, he'd be meta, but since it doesn't (and really it maybe shouldn't, just saying that's the meta right now) I agree he might not be.