***** Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) *****

Options

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Another 2 days and all will know.  :D

If it works like how you interpret it, this ability is actually a first in the game. I can't think of any existing character who deals x hit based on the number of ap. The closest I found was Ares and Mordo, but they deal only one hit of x damage multipled by the number of ap.
    The closest power I can find to this is Spider Man Peter Parker's Arachnid Agility that does microhits based off the number of web tiles on the board. It's worded with (max 5 hits) at the end, an explicit maximum, but there is an implicit maximum of 10 hits on Magneto due to it being tied to the AP cap/3. This again raises the "boy wouldn't it be nice if..." argument for consistent wording of mechanical power behavior across all characters.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Even assuming it is individual blows (I guess thank your lucky stars for Bishop's gelding), how much better does that make this character when the optimal damage requires 10 blue and 30 banked yellow?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,722 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I want his Yellow "damage upon returning from Airborne" to be a passive thing, so that if others send him airborne (Heimdall, Carol, Gwenpool, etc) that it would still happen.  

But that's too much awesome, i guess.  :tongue:
  • Demiurge_Anthony
    Demiurge_Anthony Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hey all,

I have made a few edits to the original post:

• Some text was missing from Magneto's power Polar Coordinating. The power will deal a maximum of 8 times per cast (The text "up to 8 times" has been added).
    • I updated the names and the contents of the offers.
    Thanks!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Taganov said:
    Even assuming it is individual blows (I guess thank your lucky stars for Bishop's gelding), how much better does that make this character when the optimal damage requires 10 blue and 30 banked yellow?
    Extremely good if you have Thor-Koye in play. I don't know how else you'd bank up 24 yellow in a reasonable amount of time (anymore). Bishop/Mysterio would have been a fun accelerant for him. Potentially Kitty/Thor as well. Maybe Nightcrawler/Onslaught could engineer a very yellow board while he's airborne?

But also you don't actually need all 24 yellow banked up anymore, right? If you have an accelerator in play you just need any number. It doesn't appear he burns the yellow either, so a sufficient blue battery could keep that power working. He could be the 5* Vulture.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Actually, you need to bank up 24 yellow ap because there's a cap of 8 now. With this clarification, C5rol's nerf has nothing much to do with him.

With Thorkoye, if you have 15 teamups , it's about 25k of damage multiply by 8. 

• slow
    slow Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    my thoughts on 5* chars with repeater tiles (Gambit re-balanced, Carol, OMDaken) all bummers. The new Magneto... they are like pre-nerfed chars sighhhh...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    His strongest color is Blue, so you can't use Valkyrie or Jessica Jones to feed him yellow.

Kitty/Profe$$or X is probably going to be a very durable team with Magneto in the middle
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    His special store turns out to be Kitty Pryde and Captain America (First Avenger). This is good for those looking to finish up either character or chasing one of the meta.

How does your team of Kitty/X/Mag work?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Goes hard on damage reduction mostly. You need some seed specials, but X has internal damage reduction as well as AP tax on opponents, Magneto makes tiles and boosts protects, and Kitty scales whatever.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    yeah but I don’t know that any of my baby champs will tank for him, but supports can surely help
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    General thoughts:
    (1) more extremely high match damage.  At this rate, we will be hitting 1000 match damage in early 2021.  Kind of comical that the older 5*s are still just sitting there with their 500-600 match damage.  I think that something should be done about this endless power creep.  I much preferred the initial plan for 5*s that was previewed in 2015 but never implemented: having different classes of 5* match damage (assault, support, etc).  Instead it's just another carrot tied to a stick making us chase the shiny new toys. 
    (2) Another entry into the "squishy and hard to hide" category (hi 5* DP!). this is bad place to be, especially when passive insta-damage dominates the meta.  I think this will severely limit his utility for everyone who doesn't have their classics up near level 500.
    (3) His kit seems meh, though it is also complex enough that the copywriters really struggled to explain it concisely.
    Blue looks flashy on paper, what with doing up to 60k+ damage (and with the possibility of multiple ticks to be boosted), but it costs 10 ap, and requires collecting another 24 yellow ap to really hit hard.  Plus you have to wait 3 turns to make it happen (because his airborne stint stupidly gets longer as you get more covers).  So all of that together suggests to me that the power just isn't going to be especially useful in practice.  nice when it works, but not worth the effort when there are so many alternatives that can hit similarly hard for less AP and be spammed too.  Also, it maxes out at 4 tiles converted and can't be spammed, so it's a pretty terrible yellow battery power. 
    His yellow is a difficult one to parse.  Seems like the player picks a color and converts basic tiles of that type into protect tiles, BUT if they pick a color that already had a friendly special, they just boost the specials.  It's nice and cheap at 6ap, which is good in a vacuum, but in practice weakens mags as a defensive character because the ai will always use the yellow ap before dropping a blue nuke.  for players, this seems like a fine support power, but if you want to produce cheap protects, I would rather use BRB, and if you want to buff friendly tiles, kitty seems MUCH more efficient.  so I can't really see myself designing a strat around this active yellow.  The passive is nice, especially in this passive, insta-damage meta.  But protect tiles are still the weakest tile type, so passives that want me to invest in protects (rather than using them as fuel for some other effect a la Apoc or BRB) don't seem terribly meta to me. 
    His red seems noticeably weaker than several other, similar powers in the game (Ice green, or OMD black) in that it is more expensive, produces fewer tiles, and requires enemy specials to convert to become really threatening.  It's certainly not a bad power at all, but 5* land is full of good reds, and this is just one more for the list. 
    He seems to be a bit of a miss to me, not especially good enough at anything to be highly valued for players, though he may be a pain to fight in challenge nodes. 
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    On defense, it does work well too. How can I forget AI's X to hit mutiple match-4 easily in one round. Kitty will likely use yellow and Magneto uses red.  The only thing that might happen is AI's Mag dealing 0 damage after coming back from airborne.  :D
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I just think it’ll be obnoxious to face more than actively hard to beat.

On the topic of tanking yellow - my Okoye (451) + 4* Royal Talon Fighter is still only doing 755 yellow, which is only just better than Magneto's 3rd best color.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    There is another thing to take a look to. Description says for every 3 yellow AP when returning to airborne he deals a blow of x damage. 
    Although needing a lot of yellow battery, meaning another team viable with thor on offense. Thorokoye magneto could shine there. Heimdall magneto apocalypse and heimdall using all his blue on yellow although being slow.
    Lots of sinergies.
    I didnt read his hellow passive at level 5 grants 48% improvement. Now that its a bunker. He will shake the meta.
    He is not going to shake the Meta period.  Pair him with BRB/Kitty and you will still be targeted by enemy’s in SIM.  You just need 1 character who can deal with special tiles like Kitty or OMD.  With Okoye his blue will one shot someone if you have 30 TU and 30 yellow AP.  The problem is it only targets come character if they have 100k+ health or 1 health.  His red is not that great as it is a 2 turn repeater tile.  In PVE he is too slow.  In PVP he does not pair great with one character.  In SIM he helps defer a small amount of damage on turn 1 against one team and he will be terrible on defense.  That is called nieche not meta shaking
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It will be very interesting to revisit this thread once people have 5M champed.  Consensus (mine included) is that he is very underwhelming.  But maybe there is some odd combo that will make him part of an incredible team.  I'm not planning to break my hoard for him but I will be ready in case I am wrong.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime said:
    He is not going to shake the Meta period.  Pair him with BRB/Kitty and you will still be targeted by enemy’s in SIM.  You just need 1 character who can deal with special tiles like Kitty or OMD.  
    Daken fills brb AP and needs a lot of AP for do it, and kitty needs time. So its not as easy as it seems to deal with really high protects. There will be damage and time lost, all that if brb doesnt use clash of worthy.
    Still there is a lot of things to explore yet, like if heimdall activates his blue or not, and how AI uses yellow( I must remember AI uses well all ghostpool penance flare). And look what it really means to face protect tiles raised at 96%.
    So it will be nice to revisit this thread in some months, I agree with that.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    It's pretty easy to bypass excessive protects if you have Thor and/or Apocalypse, but in my Profe$$or X team, he'll have the lowest health and a resistance to damage based on active X-Men partners rather than protects, so it might be pretty annoying to try and fight.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    wymtime said:
    He is not going to shake the Meta period.  Pair him with BRB/Kitty and you will still be targeted by enemy’s in SIM.  You just need 1 character who can deal with special tiles like Kitty or OMD.  
    Daken fills brb AP and needs a lot of AP for do it, and kitty needs time. So its not as easy as it seems to deal with really high protects. There will be damage and time lost, all that if brb doesnt use clash of worthy.
    Still there is a lot of things to explore yet, like if heimdall activates his blue or not, and how AI uses yellow( I must remember AI uses well all ghostpool penance flare). And look what it really means to face protect tiles raised at 96%.
    So it will be nice to revisit this thread in some months, I agree with that.

Does OMD proc BRB's passive?  his red power description says 'remove,' but BRB's passive only grants ap when friendly tiles are 'destroyed.'  Usually 'removed' is an action that's treated like overwriting, ie it doesn't proc abilities that key of tile destruction.  Has anyone tested this?
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Why Kitty again in the special store.  She was just in the anniversary store last month.