***** Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) *****

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's only one hit. His power is similar to Ares's green power or Mordo's purple. 
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Surely it would have been simpler to change Carol's passive to generate red instead of yellow. She retains some self synergy, though not in Bill's league, it removes the possibility of wonky interactions with Magneto's blue and gives Carol the option of matching her strikes to fire red again or leaving them on the board for the damage boost. Problem solved, right?
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    It would be really, really funny if they put Captain Marvel in his release store.... :-)
  • Romanshi
    Romanshi Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2020
    If only they could change his "airborne" power to be a passive... I.e. "Passive: after you get back from being 'Airborne', deal x dmg for each 3 yellow AP" - this way Magneto gets much more potential. Also they could swap red and blue (so red would become passive) - all of 5 recent 5* have an active red power, we need more diversity imho.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    I’m not so sure it is a big single hit like Ares based on that wording; if it’s a bunch of discreet hits that changes things somewhat for me.

@IceIX can you clarify that Blue power as to whether it's a single monster hit or a bunch of individual hits?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Man he looks pretty bad, worse than any of the chars that we currently have in Latest (and as someone already said, those are not great either). Expensive powers, powers that negate his own powers, delayed damage, situational powers and airbone mechanics that are not great.

I was expecting something better for the 50th 5, and also for a 5 Magneto. This is VERY disappointing. And on top of that nerfing C5rol just so they can release these pretty mediocre char is definitely NOT COOL.

Also, why do they keep trying with stupid Airbone chars? That mechanic has never been fun, and in most scenarios is almost as bad as stunning your own char. The only good airbone char is Vulture (because of his passive AP generation clearly offsets him being airbone but everybody else are a fail).
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,015 Chairperson of the Boards
    After sleeping on it, he could be better than I thought. 

His yellow passive with BRBitty.... correct me if I’m wrong but, the increase in shields counts Magneto himself, right? Then it adds ANOTHER 48% with Kitty? Wouldn’t this mean you start out a match basically taking -1 match damage? 

And the other thing is his red with the 2 repeaters..... correct me if I’m wrong but it says “convert enemy strike, protect, or attack tile to a strike tile”. So... instead of removing and making it  a designated strike strength, it makes whatever strength the tile already is, and makes it your right?

He’s not meta but if that yellow passive is how I think it is, I’m not gonna want to fight this dude and slough through a bunch of turns dealing 2* match damage with my 5*s. And then Kitty pumps up the shields each turn? And you have to get rid of 2 shields now because Magneto is an xmen affiliate? That’s a good looking scarecrow to me. 

• MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    He looks useful against Mindless Ones but there are already enough options against them.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    After sleeping on it, he could be better than I thought. 

He’s not meta but if that yellow passive is how I think it is, I’m not gonna want to fight this dude and slough through a bunch of turns dealing 2* match damage with my 5*s. And then Kitty pumps up the shields each turn? And you have to get rid of 2 shields now because Magneto is an xmen affiliate? That’s a good looking scarecrow to me. 

So now there is another who understands it. Another thing, brb clash of worthy will put protect tiles of 600 while the others 2 are alive.
    At 5 red and 5 yellow level, magneto will create 2 repeaters and 2 strikes and with yellow selecting them to turn into 620 strike tiles. Not bad. Still he can select another 2 friendly tiles.
    Those new 5* have a lot of text and almost is needed to study them, but yes.
    Heimdal magneto and brb could be a defensive nightmare, other than britty.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    I’m not so sure it is a big single hit like Ares based on that wording; if it’s a bunch of discreet hits that changes things somewhat for me.

@IceIX can you clarify that Blue power as to whether it's a single monster hit or a bunch of individual hits?

I think Hound might be right looking at how other multiple hit characters have their powers worded - Valkyrie, Apoc, BRB, Gwenpool all detail how many hits you get.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the only place where this guy is going to be scary is when we have him in a SCL10 node with BRB and kitty at level 550+. But I really doubt this guy will be any good in the players hands (or in normal PvP defense).
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've logged in to simply say, it's about freaking time we have a new Magneto!!! What took y'all so long?
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    I think he's a one trick pony to help you save packs while beating Hulkoye teams, but it only works in pick 3, only with Britty, won't be fast, and you still have to consider who Hulkoye runs as their 3rd (I usually see PX or Apoc, both of which seem fitting):

Let’s say you run Britty + Mags with 5 in Yellow vs Hulkoye (the numbers below are based on my characters’ levels, YMMV), ignoring everything but the passive effects:

Turn 1 you: BRB puts out 4 strength 198 protect tiles. Because Kitty is an X-Men, these tiles get boosted 2 x 48% = 96%, to 4 x 198 x 1.96 = 1552 total
    Turn 1 them: iHulk hits you for 5161 - 1552 = 3609
    Turn 2 you: Kitty pumps up the volume 672 on each strike, which also gets Mags' boost. Assuming none of your shields got destroyed in turn 1: 4 x ( 198 + 672 ) x 1.96 = 6821
    Turn 2 them: iHulk hits you for 5161 - 6821 = 0

Let's say you lost a protect tile on turn 1. Keep in mind Mehneto is an X-Men, so her threshold is 3 tiles not 4:

Turn 1 you: BRB puts out 4 strength 198 protect tiles, but you match one away. Because Kitty is an X-Men, these tiles get boosted 2 x 48% = 96%, to 3 x 198 x 1.96 = 1164 total
    Turn 1 them: iHulk hits you for 5161 - 1164 = 3997
    Turn 2 you: Kitty pumps up the volume 672 on each strike, which also gets Mags' boost: 3 x ( 198 + 672 ) x 1.96 = 5115
    Turn 2 them: iHulk hits you for 5161 - 5115 = 45

iHulk neutralized on turn 2 in both cases. Since you're chasing Yellow to deny Okoye (and maybe Apoc), you should be able to keep the defensive wall up forever. Just don't let Apoc fire Red since it ignores enemy protect tiles. And if Apoc fires black, just use Mags' Yellow to convert them to friendly tiles.

TLDR: one trick pony to partner with Britty when going against Hulkoye teams in pick 3 and save on healthpacks, Healthpacks I now need to use to satisfy my daily quests...
  • HoundofShadow
    Another test is to determine if it's multi hit or single hit is this:

If it's multi-hit, it will deal 10 separate hits. Each hit deals 84590 damage. 10 hits deal 845,900 damage. What's the probability of this happening?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    It doesn't do 10 hits of 84,590, it does 10 hits of 8,459 the way I read it. The number of hits is conditional on how many yellow AP you have in the bank rather than the amount of damage.
  • HoundofShadow
    Another 2 days and all will know.  :D

If it works like how you interpret it, this ability is actually a first in the game. I can't think of any existing character who deals x hit based on the number of ap. The closest I found was Ares and Mordo, but they deal only one hit of x damage multipled by the number of ap.
  • DAZ0273
    Or it does one hit that deals out an extra 8,459 per 3 Yellow AP up to a maximum of 10 incremental increases.
  • DAZ0273
    I think multi-hit powers have limits on activation - for example Ronin should be able to deal an infinite amount of blows if he downs the opponent but he doesn't, it is limited to 3.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    There is nothing worse than an iconic powerful character in the comics being released with a meh kit at the 5* level (looking at you Iron Man, Carol)  :'(
    When Polaris was released and was superb it had me hoping that a 5* Mags was going to be solid to great. Instead we got this. The shame is that a few changes could have made him so much better and more interesting (his Blue could have worked like Rescue Blue turning all enemy specials into Yellow for cascade potential before sending him airborne for the return damage and his Red should have had a passive component like BSSM that made all enemy strikes/protects/attacks be strength 1 for him).
    KGB
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I already thought of consecutive hits but I think that would be too good. Until now all characters doing consecutive hits explained clearly that he deals x hits. Description says for every 3 yellow deals a blow. Its not the same as a hit. It could be.
    If it were consecutive hits his value would increase more than he already is.
    About only britty... I think not. Brb and other one xmen can spam protect tiles of 600, more than enough to face hulkoye. Right now brb clash of worthy with some turns already negates ihulk without TUs.
    Right now he would be more efective on defense than kitty, on the setting Ive pointed.