5-star Carol Nerf?

Options

Comments

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MegaBee said:
    It's probably confirmation bias, but it feels like I'm running into PvE teams with the Gamma Siphon team-up a lot.
    Nope.  Definitely not confirmation bias.  Gamma Siphon team ups are very prevalent in this current PVE.
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I actually like this move . First off , none of you used her until Polaris so you all hated her .  It’s like you liking someone now because they have a new car or toy that benefits you . ( I never rostered her in the first place because if you’re useless to me by yourself primarily , how you play with others is irrelevant).  As far as doing it unannounced, it’s a smart move because most people come here to complain how much they hate this game and this is just giving dozens of players the opportunity to do what they enjoy most on the boards . Four pages of vitriol in one day is like an all-you-can-eat buffet . Kudos devs .
    Even if this is how you actually feel there are probably more-productive, less-trollish ways to express this sentiment. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I actually like this move . First off , none of you used her until Polaris so you all hated her .  It’s like you liking someone now because they have a new car or toy that benefits you . ( I never rostered her in the first place because if you’re useless to me by yourself primarily , how you play with others is irrelevant).  As far as doing it unannounced, it’s a smart move because most people come here to complain how much they hate this game and this is just giving dozens of players the opportunity to do what they enjoy most on the boards . Four pages of vitriol in one day is like an all-you-can-eat buffet . Kudos devs .
    I used her without Polaris. Further, I did not use her with Polaris. So...they nerfed my third highest 5* which was already mediocre without a word. Maybe stop projecting your own feelings onto everyone else as if that is the only relevant perspective.

You gripe as much as anyone, only about your fellow players instead of the devs. 
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I used her before Polaris.

I'm not sure what you believe you've accomplished with this comment though.

No, it's not smart to do this unannounced.  It's uncaring and communicates that the players don't matter.

The vitriol is justified.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You trade in 1 protect tile for 3 more on the board. You will likely chase blue and use BRB's blue ability first to flood the board with protect tiles.

Since he destroys the middle two rows, the two rows above will simply move down. Also, I remember that if a chunk of tiles (grouped together) are destroyed, the probability of same coloured tiles falling also increases.  This means cascades happen more frequently. On top of that, he deals at least 28000 AoE or a total of 84000 damage for three opponents with his green power once you have 5ap in all colours, which isn't difficult because the opponents will be stunned anyway. After the entire board destruction, you will get back 30 blue and 30 green ap, plus any cascades.
    Once you flood the board it would work fine, the trick is just going to be flooding the board in the first place, or more specifically flooding the center two rows and keeping them flooded. I have a 4/3/1 bolt at lvl 300, and he has 3* levels of health (~15k). I just took that team into Clear 5 of the challenge node, and made the mistake of letting Bolt stay in front. He died on turn-2 when Carbage match-damaged him to death in the same turn. Maybe if he were champed it would be a different story.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    oh boy... this is what I come back to after an extended weekend vacay (at home vacay, but still..)

You nerfed my Carol.  My first champed 5*.  The person I REALLY tried to find usage for, using her red passive.  And of course, ever since Polaris, I used her with BRB/Polaris to obliterate Challenge Nodes.

Seemingly, this change was made ONLY to get rid of the Winfinite.  But if that's the case, then why is it NOT a problem to do it with the arguably EASIER 4* Thanos?  3* Hulk?  Any Storm that's not 5*?  even 1* Juggs?!  What, because they have a smaller health pool??  But they start even easier than Carol's did!  She needed the health pool in order to wait for the right (or luckiest) time to strike!!

Even then, she was the weakest link in that team.  BRB has its supporters and haters, due to a cheap and powerful (some say "OP") blue power, and a yellow passive that is completely game changing.  Polaris... do I need to explain it?  She's pretty darn OP, if not broken.  And then there's Carol, who you only used for this combo, or if it was one of your ONLY 5* CHAMPS.

Now... thankfully, I've come a long way since then.  I have 18 of these 5* champs.  I have other options.  This will not hinder me.  All I need to do is change my saved team from including her, to instead 4* Thanos.  Which, btw @Michael1957... if you really think people only started using Carol was because of this, then what are your thoughts on 4* Thanos?  I mean... I'm pretty sure his usage rate shot through the roof once this 'winfinite' was discovered.  I'm sure it's gotta be a similar thought process for you, right?  But I won't argue with you that Carol wasn't thought of too much before hand -- she was only ranked just above W5sp (sorry @Mr_F) and Banner.

In the end -- I don't understand this decision.  You (the devs) leave the less-impressive 5*s alone and don't buff them to decent levels.  Sure, you just recently touched up Archangel, but none of us are impressed with it, and none of us have found a "must-use" team for him.  He's just got his paint job touched up, is all.  HOWEVER --- the players find a loophole that we can use for a VERY undervalued 5*, and you change it?  Even when there are 4* and lower options that can achieve the same thing?  ....huh. okay.  

Is this the sort of thing where we aren't allowed to see behind the curtain?  Is there a grand plan in place where this really makes sense?  Man, I sure hope so.  But honestly -- what plan could that possibly be where a less-useful version of a 5* is better than what we used to have? 5* Mags doesn't look like he's providing that answer, if there's one at all.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2020
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    she was only ranked just above W5sp (sorry @Mr_F)

None taken. I can not take offence when true is spoken about my favourite 5*.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5* Carnage is going to be tough because of his extra big match damage, ap gains and attack/strike tiles. 

I tried this team a few times, and maybe more practices will help you to get a feel of the "timing".  If it still doesn't work out for you, then I guess it's better to stick with Th4nos. If you get a lot of teamup power that you want from your alliance, I think 3* Storm might be even more useful with her random tile destruction that also gives you 14 random ap gain and her yellow power that helps you earn teamup ap faster.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    what are your thoughts on 4* Thanos?  
    Just wanted to say that I've been trying to convince people Th4nos was better than everyone thought he was for awhile now, but even I wasn't using him all that regularly.
  • PiMacleod
    Options
    5* Carnage is going to be tough because of his extra big match damage, ap gains and attack/strike tiles. 

I tried this team a few times, and maybe more practices will help you to get a feel of the "timing".  If it still doesn't work out for you, then I guess it's better to stick with Th4nos. If you get a lot of teamup power that you want from your alliance, I think 3* Storm might be even more useful with her random tile destruction that also gives you 14 random ap gain and her yellow power that helps you earn teamup ap faster.
    I tried it with 5* Carnage, and it mostly worked for me... but there's a level of uncertainty.

Carnage's power costs 9, yet only destroys 7 tiles.

Eventually, due to Polaris, the board becomes YOURS.  All tiles are yours.  This means that Carnage doesn't get the extra turn.

If you fire off Carnage's power, and you only destroy 7 tiles (no cascade), then you only made 7 green AP.  You can actually run out of green AP!

However, this is forgetting the option of Polaris blue.  If you stun lock the enemy team first, then there's nothing they can do, and when you run down to less-than-9 green AP, you just skip a turn where the opponent does nothing, and go again.

It's still viable -- just... has a hiccup in the middle.  :P
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    no need to cry here, nobody is listening... 
    i just keep my wallet closed. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    PiMacleod said:

I tried it with 5* Carnage, and it mostly worked for me... but there's a level of uncertainty.

We were talking about using this Danver5-less winfinite against the SCL10 carbage challenge node with Bolt in 3rd. 

I went over to simulator, and got the results I expected. It takes a long time to get Bolt moving because you can't engineer protects in the center 2 rows on purpose. I killed off the opposing Polaris and Kitty with BRB before I'd even gotten enough green to start the Quasi-Sonic Winfinite.
  • PiMacleod
    Options
    @ThaRoadWarrior

my bad.  didn't see the connection there.  :hushed:
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    @Demiurge_Anthony I appreciate the update to the Magneto thread, any chance we can get an official stance on what happened to Captain Marvel Galactic Warrior soon?
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    what are your thoughts on 4* Thanos?  
    Just wanted to say that I've been trying to convince people Th4nos was better than everyone thought he was for awhile now, but even I wasn't using him all that regularly.

There are so many characters in the game now that there are a lot of characters that get totally ignored even though they are well designed and sneaky good. It's a shame and makes me long for the days when they forced you to choose from a specific group of characters when playing certain PvE events. Those were annoying when rosters were small, but now they'd probably be a blast.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Yeah that is terrible stealth nerf for a character that was already not good.  Ridiculous, just when I thought they were taking the game in the right direction you get stuff like this. Garbage since there are so many other ways to get winfinite.  If the devs want to stop that then they need to nerf Polaris, but they won't because they want people to chase her and invest in her before they nerf her.  
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't have 5* Carol at a useable level, not to mention any of the "winfinite" characters at a high enough level to really be a threat, but I will say this stealth nerf is really messed up without any kind of announcement here or in-game.  It just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth and if something like it happens again, I'll just cut my losses and stop playing.  If the developers want to just change the rules to their game without giving the people that play it notice, that's their choice.  As a person playing it, though, I will say it is a breach of trust and how long until they decide to start diving into shadier tactics?
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't have 5* Carol at a useable level, not to mention hui any of the "winfinite" characters at a high enough level to really be a threat, but I will say this stealth nerf is really messed up without any kind of announcement here or in-game.  It just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth and if something like it happens again, I'll just cut my losses and stop playing.  If the developers want to just change the rules to their game without giving the people that play it notice, that's their choice.  As a person playing it, though, I will say it is a breach of trust and how long until they decide to start diving into shadier tactics?
    This presumes everyone reads the forum . I know for myself I played for over 2 years before knowing the forum even existed . So I’m used to flying blind into the next event or week . I also know over half of my alliance doesn’t bother reading it either , as most of us are just casual players who enjoy a great fun game for free. I consider the forum an optional bonus to the game but even if they closed it I’d keep playing with no loss of enjoyment.