Welcome to SHIELD

qandols
qandols Posts: 1,173 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
I have a hard time understanding why these nodes have to be so damn stupid? I mean I have to use a loaner Warhead, Lockjaw and someone third (I use champed Blackbolt because of charged tiles). I have tried four times and keep getting stunned and killed over and over. Warhead dies nearly immediately each time and I retreat in sheer disgust. This is no demonstration of Warheads abilities at all, just annoyingly stupid. Edit: A tip. If you have a decently leveled Silver Surfer, use him. Then they can stun away as much as they like and you go after red and blue and wear them down.

Comments

• Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2020
    I managed to do it using a champed Mordo as my third, since he rainbows with Negasonic and does stuff with charges tiles too.  But yeah, the stunning stuff with Iceman and Switch are extremely irritating, no matter who the event is for.  I've always had the best luck targeting Switch first then Iceman, but it's still always a drawn out fight that is just a pain regardless.

EDIT:  I forgot that Lockjaw isn't a terrible partner since his green floods the board with charged tiles to help fuel Negasonic and Mordo, along with getting his yellow going.  The problem I kept having was similar to the OP's where Lockjaw just kept getting stun-locked to be any kind of benefit to the other two.

I suppose Apocalypse would be a good third as well, since Negasonic has the mutant tag to help prevent Apoc from being stunned.  Unfortunately, I don't have him anywhere close to an effective setup to see how well it would have worked.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just just whaled the last node of Mordo, Thing, Starlord.  It was not worth it to me to find a team that would work.  

The 4* node you can bring just about any 5* and match damage away the nodes
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    This event is particularly hard because neg is noticeably weaker than many recent 4* releases (e.g., polaris, hellcat, legion, etc).  It also doesn't help that Thing just got a mild buff.  I whales'd it to bank the win, but I am still experimenting to find a team that can do it straight up. 
    I have tried a bunch of AP suppression/denial with characters like Yelena, prof X, bobbi, valk, wasp, and peggy.  So far valkyrie is still the best, but neg doesn't put out enough damage to survive. I will post if I find something that works well.  Yelena is also pretty good for suppressing the ai's ap, especially if you play conservatively, but offense is a problem with this team.  Ultimately, there are several viable strategies to suppress this team, but I have not yet found one that also permits me to reliably generate red ap (which is literally the only source of offense to speak of in this node for most players). 

• mbaren
    mbaren Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    wymtime said:
    I just just whaled the last node of Mordo, Thing, Starlord.  It was not worth it to me to find a team that would work.  

The 4* node you can bring just about any 5* and match damage away the nodes
    I always forget about whales.  Thanks!  That got it done, no problem.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Can also try characters with invisibility. So far 4*Professor and Legion help even thought they still need luck. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    I was getting stunned and killed 4-6 times before I realised what was happening. I blame it on my reading of articles while making my matches. The goon was feeding purple and yellow. After taking care of that goon, the node was easy to complete. I used Karnak, who isn't the best partner, but he does the job.

As for Day 3 nodes, 4* Wasp (3/5/5) definitely work. Aim for 8 blue ap, follow by black charged tiles, yellow, red and finally green matches. If you want to speed up, use +2 blue ap. Use Storm's yellow to create more black tiles, while using her green to destroy tiles to make matches. I stun Starlord first usually, followed by whoever is the next dangerous.
    By then, you will have a lot of black ap, thanks to Storm turning black basic tiles into black charged tiles. What's more, Wasp's black power (cost 7ap) stuns enemy for 3 turns when you have 8 blue aps and she also saps enemies' ap randomly per turn. By then, using Negasonic's red power twice will likely down the enemy. When two enemies are left, you can start using her green and Storm's yellow to try to make more black tiles or change the colour of TU tiles to her cd's colour. Gather red and boom. There's your win. I have tried her twice without wiping and my Storm isn't champed.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 723 Critical Contributor
    Try the 5* mode without whales. I had to do that because after using 10 healthpacks and almost all my invisibility characters I was out of option when Mordo can SINGLEHANDLY fefteat all my team - each with one power. Just beautiful. Its not challenging. Its frustrating.

The 4* I had to use Apoc. I just cant win with 4*. At least... mine are all under 286. So ya know.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    I find the Peggy/Deadpool/Venom node much harder than the Thing/Starlord/Mordo node because of Peggy.  Luckily you don't need to complete the Peggy node to get max progression (ie move on to day 3). So I tend to skip it (the only time I beat it was with Polaris which says how great she is) and all I am out is the 1 CP reward.
    This is the first Shield Training where I had to whale the Thing/Starlord/Mordo node. Negasonic is too weak with too little life to survive any hit. I'll try the 4* Wasp later when it doesn't cost me a healhpack just to see if I can do it (are you using any Supports?).
    KGB
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 723 Critical Contributor
    I mathed them to deaf with my 2/5/0 Apoc. 5e made me to swear.
  • Vhailorx
    edited September 2020
    I got it (thing/mordo/star-lord) done straight up with wasp (I have a champed wasp around lvl 310, and a 1-cover storm). My suggested strategy:
    (1) boost +2 blue asap and try over and over until you get a board that allows you to collect 6 more blue ap one the first (via cascade) or second turn.
    (2) play VERY conservatively, as an enemy cascade is WAY worse for you than just about any other outcome.  avoid leaving high-value matches to the ai, and pay attention to their ap (plus whatever color wasp is about to steal). 
    (3) wherever possible collect red and black (bearing in mind that this is less important playing conservatively). Storm's black charged tiles should be a priority, both because you need the black and because letting the ai have it is very risky.  Neg can eat one cast of the black if the board doesn't have too many charged tiles out, but more than that is likely a wipe.
    (4) once you have 14-21 black and 18 red, AND have destroyed 6 charged tiles, stun the ai team (first star lord, then thing, and mordo if he has enough ap to be dangerous. this consistently did not proc thing for me, somehow). 
    (5) cast red x2 on star-lord.  This should kill him. 
    (6) while the enemy is stunned, chase charged black matches as much as possible.  use Neg's yellow if the board is unfavorable.  If you can collect 14 black every three turns, you can stunlock the ai team. 
    (7) While doing the above, use red and green to drop mordo.
    (8) finish thing at your leisure
    if you can keep them stun locked for a while, then wasp will eventually drain almost all their ap, and you can generally afford to let them have a move or two if you are short on black. But be wary because there will likely be a lot of charged tiles on the board by now, and if they get lucky you might be in trouble.
    Using this strategy, I am about 1/10 so far.  so be prepared to use a pretty good number of boosts and healthpacks.
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Ok, i've been on this for almost 2 hours now.  How do you get past the deadpool, venom, peggy node.  Getting destroyed being stuck with **** characters that take forever to be able to use powers, especially since the enemy won't go more than 2 turns without getting a 3 billion match cascade and then firing off every power over and over and over.  So many time they practically take me out in one turn
  • Vhailorx
    Ugh said:
    Ok, i've been on this for almost 2 hours now.  How do you get past the deadpool, venom, peggy node.  Getting destroyed being stuck with **** characters that take forever to be able to use powers, especially since the enemy won't go more than 2 turns without getting a 3 billion match cascade and then firing off every power over and over and over.  So many time they practically take me out in one turn
    Medusa worked just fine for me.  Chase your CD to get as many attack tiles out as possible, and use whatever you can to get a charged tile that will proc lockjaw's passive.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:

Yep yep.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:

(4) once you have 14-21 black and 18 red, AND have destroyed 6 charged tiles, stun the ai team (first star lord, then thing, and mordo if he has enough ap to be dangerous. this consistently did not proc thing for me, somehow). 

It's virtually impossible to trigger Thing's Yellow. He's not Bishop with a fixed amount of damage, his scales so it's something like 15k or more before he'd jump. Essentially only Neg's Red after you have matched about 5+ charged tiles.
    You clearly got a TON of matchable Black. I tried once just now and had a 30-40 turn game where I only ever was able to collect enough Black to stun Starlord 2x (the AI never fired Mordo's Black at all). I got Wasp Blue going on turn 3 or 4 and it definitely helps keep their AP under control but unless you get a very good board with Black you won't be able to make it work. When I died I had Starlord down to about 1/3 health, Thing and Mordo at about half. Your 1/10 tries says how lucky you need to be.
    KGB
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    wingX said:
    Can also try characters with invisibility. So far 4*Professor and Legion help even thought they still need luck. 

This. I used Onslaught to beat the Thing/SL/Mordo node. Kept using purple to go invisible and blue to set up match 4s and 5s.

Took forever but I beat it and Onslaught barely took any damage.

I'm convinced he isn't nearly as bad as some may think.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    With the Lockjaw-required node you can also use Okoye and let Lockjaw's passive damage chew everyone up.

For the Storm-required node you can bring whoever the tinykitty you want plus: +2 TU AP, +2 ALL AP, and a WHALES team-up from alliance. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't use any support because if my strategy involves certain support, it won't be useful because not everyone will have the same support.
  • Vhailorx
    edited September 2020
    KGB,
    Of my ten-ish tries, I got the engine started (ie wasp's drain was going and I could fire her black at least once) about half the time.  I had 2 very long matches, one of which ended on a very lucky ai cascade, one of which ended for lack of enough red/black to drop mordo before he killed neg, and once I succeeded. 
    Obviously, a black starved board won't work.  But if you have at least 1 black storm cover, her charged tiles are enormously helpful for keeping everything going.  And if you don't have a black storm cover, maybe let  mordo cast black once to see if you can get extra black that way.
    I'm not saying it's a ideal strategy, just that it can work with some luck, even for those without 5* rosters.  Most of the other suggestions I see on the boards were 5*s like apoc, or yelena and/or a champed storm.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just started today after reading this thread. Did the 5* nodes first. 

Decoy/Mockingbird/Riri-used half Thor to fuel Nega. Lost him to cascades when Storm got selflessly intervened by Riri and sent airborne. Despite losing Thor the other two were able to finish the job.
    Thing/Star-Lord/Mordo- Used Yelena to punish the opponent and keep their AP pools in check with both her traps and her passive. Storm was the battery with her yellow and provided board control removing problem colors with her green. While Nega was the main damage dealer. You definitely had to be strategic with regards to tiles on the board and opponent AP pools but easily doable. 
    Beat both nodes first go-round and took out the opponents in the order I listed them. 
    For reference- Storm is level 454, Yelena 451, and Thor 440. 
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Ugh said:
    I used Okoye and Rockjaw chomped then to death