Class of 2018 - what about 2* and 3* players?

Comments

• Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 723 Critical Contributor
    Its PVE. You can choose whatever SCL you have unlocked. Some with all characters championed can go even down do SCL1 and play them there being top 10.
  • Southside84
    Southside84 Posts: 93 Match Maker
    The better question is why a 5* champ player would go to SCL1.  What's top placement, a 2* cover?  The points can't be that high...
  • BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    You're both right.
    I'm mainly a pve player. That's exactly why I didn't notice that you have free selection possibility at pve.
    I mean, as an example, I know that a top50 placement in scl9 is quite sure if I have time to play. So I can see that at infinite pursuit that will earn me 1 Polaris cover. To get that at scl6 I would have to win. Lower than 6 I don't get it at all. So why should a 5* player even think on stepping down to 6?
  • BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    In my opinion the first day of balance of power was the fun day which lasted until the teams changed to be all Polaris + xy.
    2018 from the beginning was long time championed ThorKoye teams. So every few hours I look there, do some skipping and go away. The first event for quite a while where I don't even try to get to 19 wins and I'm happy to not see it again until same time next year.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel bad. On the one hand, I feel like a few extra available characters would have been nice for the newer folks. On the other hand, being able to run Thorkoye+Valk for the quickest 75 wins ever made this PvP the most fun I've had in a very long time in this game.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    That year was almost all offense and is probably the greatest year with regards to 5* characters as three of the top 5 in the game were all released in 2018 (Thor, Okoye, Kitty) not to mention standouts like Jessica, Chavez, and Valkyrie. I imagine it’ll be tougher when the more defensively annoying 5* roll out, as well as slower ones. But yeah 2018 was like a golden era for MPQ! Fun to go back and appreciate those characters. Also glad Grocket is locked out since all you would see is Gritty otherwise. 
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    The better question is why a 5* champ player would go to SCL1.  What's top placement, a 2* cover?  The points can't be that high...
    The only reason I can imagine a 5* player going to scl6 or lower is because they are burned out, or have severe RL issues, but for some  reason do not want to quit their alliance that demands full progression minimum. So they pick the absolutely fastest way to get those points, scl1. What they should do of course, in my opionion,  is take a sabbatical, instead of bullying lower players like that. many alliance groups have casual alliances with only daily play requirements, so let them join those for a while.

That there are so many champed 5* players in scl7 t10, playing for ranking is already somewhat annoying to the 4* players there, but at least I can see how it might make a little bit of sense if they really need 4* covers more than 5* shards, though scl8 would probably be a better option for that given they have the roster to be fast enough there. But anything below 7 is bullying and inappropriate, in my opinion, and players doing that should really consider better options.
  • Speed283
    Speed283 Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Class of 2019 is way worse for newer players than Class of 2018. Looks like a boring few days for me!!   This sucks!!
  • bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Class of 19 is rough even for vets. Lots of defense and slow repeater characteristics. 

4s might be better than the 5s (outside of PX Ice). 
  • Daredevil217
    Worse how? I imagine it gets easier (or at least more inclusive) each year just because anyone who started in 2018 (or earlier) and collected characters was also doing so in 2019.

Or is it just the character selection is worse? But if that’s the case, I imagine you are also fighting weaker opponents as well. 

(I haven’t joined yet)
  • Speed283
    Yup... I started this year and had stronger characters in the Class of 2018 pvp.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I'm with @bowla33. Be glad you don't have to play this painful slog of an excuse for PvE as a 5* player. It is not fun. It is not fast. It is not easy.
  • Speed283
    Helix...are you referring to Unbeatable Power?
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    helix72 said:
    I'm with @bowla33. Be glad you don't have to play this painful slog of an excuse for PvE as a 5* player. It is not fun. It is not fast. It is not easy.
    I haven't started it yet but im dreading it after looking at the character list. My only champed 5 star out of this bunch is prof x, and he's one of my lowest level champed 5's
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Speed283 said:
    Helix...are you referring to Unbeatable Power?

No, Class of 2019 PvP. I mistyped PvE, sorry for the confusion.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a deep 4* player, Class of 2018 allows me to beat champed 5* players with much higher frequency. I saw a lot of champed Jessica Jones and Okoyes via retal nodes. I simply hit them back without thinking unless their characters look like 550. Class of 2018 gave me a lot of confidence to go after 5* players. This year is probably the last time they will get featured. So, goodbye to Class of 2018.

Moving on, I'm not sure about Class of 2019. Looking at the list, I would play Prof X, GED and Iceman/Hela/Storm If I were a 5* player. It won't be easy to retal against 5* players in Class of 2019 due to Prof X and GED.
  • Speed283
    Hound: that’s great, can’t wait until I’m there! Yes, Class of 2019 is difficult. I don’t have ProfX, Hela, GED or Storm - gl to you 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2020
    I don't have them well covered. For 4* players, Class of 2019 is equivalent to Class of Juggernaut. At least Sabretooth and Ronin is anti-Juggernaut with their cheap powers or attack tiles. Throw in Black Cat to stun Juggernaut and steal some aps.
  • Daredevil217
    Class of Juggernaut... hahaha. 

In the 5* tier it’s interesting to see how the power creep shift, especially in terms of defensive prowess has ramped up. 
    2018- Jessica was it (and Kitty though she was declawed without Grocket in the PVP)

2019- The annoyance ramps up with Iceman/Carnage/Professor/Doom

2020- Healthpack central with IHulk/Apocalypse/BRB/Onslaught. 
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    Class of Juggernaut... hahaha. 

In the 5* tier it’s interesting to see how the power creep shift, especially in terms of defensive prowess has ramped up. 
    2018- Jessica was it (and Kitty though she was declawed without Grocket in the PVP)

2019- The annoyance ramps up with Iceman/Carnage/Professor/Doom

2020- Healthpack central with IHulk/Apocalypse/BRB/Onslaught. 
    Looks like Carnage is not Class of 2019.  

Also interesting:  Spider-Man 2099 is in the background of the Class of 2019 PVP, but is not a playable option.