*****Heimdall (The Gatekeeper) *****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited October 2020 in Character Details
2020-07-08--NC-Heimdall-all-sizes1200x628-Fbpng

Heimdall (The Gatekeeper)

5-Star Rarity 

Affiliations: Heroes

"Gifted with the All-Seeing Sight, Heimdall has the honor of protecting Asgard as its Gatekeeper. With his enchanted sword he controls the Bifrost, carefully guarding passage between the Nine Realms. Sensing hints of a new threat arising, Heimdall will do everything in his power to protect his people." 
(Abilities listed at level 255, followed by 450)
17925 Health / 72048 Health
 175 |  200 |  225 |  27 |  29 |  25 |  111 |  4.0x
 700 |  800 |  900 |  106 |  114 |  97 |  445 |  4.0x
The All-Seer - 6  AP
Heimdall's divine foresight senses early threats to his people so he can prepare for them accordingly. Fortifies 3 chosen basic or friendly special tiles and heals Heimdall for 1046 health. (Max level 4203 health)
(PASSIVE) Other friendly powers cost 1 AP less for every 2 Fortified tiles in that power's color (to a minimum of 3 AP.)
  • Level 2: Restores 1308 health. (Max level 5254 health)
  • Level 3: Restores 1569 health. (Max level 6305 health)
  • Level 4: Other powers cost 1 AP less for every Fortified tile in that power's color.
  • Level 5: Restores 2008 health. (Max level 8070 health)
Prismatic Cleave - 10  AP
Heimdall swings his enchanted sword Hofund, rending his enemies with the strength of the Vanir. Deals 2241 damage, plus 672 damage for each color of Fortified tile on the board. (Max level 9006/2702 damage)
  • Level 2: Deals 2465 damage, plus 739 damage for every color of Fortified tile. (Max level 9907/2972 damage)
  • Level 3: Deals 2689 damage, plus 806 damage for every color of Fortified tile. (Max level 10807/3242 damage)
  • Level 4: Deals 3137 damage, plus 941 damage for every color of Fortified tile. (Max level 12608/3783 damage)
  • Level 5: Deals 4034 damage, plus 1210 damage for every color of Fortified tile. (Max level 16211/4864 damage)
Bifrost Bridge - 8  AP
Heimdall spirits his allies away on the Bifrost for safety. Sends Heimdall's allies Airborne for 1 turn. When they land, they gain 2 AP in their strongest color.
(PASSIVE) While Heimdall has no active allies, he takes 15% less damage.
  • Level 2: Heimdall takes 20% less damage.
  • Level 3: Heimdall takes 25% less damage.
  • Level 4: Allies gain 3 AP in their strongest color.
  • Level 5: Heimdall takes 33% less damage.
Release Schedule

Release Events:

Introducing... Heimdall - September 10 - 17

• Rewards Iso-8 and a Heroic Token

• Heimdall (The Gatekeeper) Shards in Placement rewards

Thick As Thieves  - September 10 - 15

• Rewards tokens to the Vigilant Heimdall Cover Store

Cosmic Chaos - September 14 - 18

• 2020-09-14 07:00:00 - 2020-09-18 02:00:00

• Heimdall (The Gatekeeper) Shards in Progression rewards

Lethal Intent - September 10 - 14

• 2020-09-10 20:00:00 - 2020-09-14 03:00:00

Stay Bifrosty - September 13 - 16

• 2020-09-13 08:00:00 - 2020-09-16 15:00:00

• Rewards tokens to the Vigilant Heimdall Cover Store

Offers

Release Cover Store:

Vigilant Heimdall Cover Store - September 10 - 19

• Chance to get Heimdall (The Gatekeeper). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls

Special Limited Vault

<NAME TBD> - September 17 - 22

• 40 Items

• 1x <NAME TBD Legendary Store Token

• 1x 4-Star <CHARACTER TBD> cover

• 3x Random 3-Star covers

• 6x Heroic tokens

• 4x 2500 Iso

• 6x 1000 Iso

• 5x 500 Iso

• 14x Two stars

Special Legendary Store

2020 Vision - September 17 - 22

• 15% chance to get Heimdall (The Gatekeeper), Hawkeye (Clint Barton), and Jessica Jones

• Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points

Comments

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks very interesting.

Unfortunately it took everything i had to Finish Apoc before he was cast into Classic Purgatory. So i wont have enough time or resources to fully cover him.

Maybe in 4 years i'll be able to use him.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    When you say “they get +2 AP in their strongest color,” does that mean each character that returns gets +2 AP, or just +2 ap in the collective highest power. If the former, and they both have the same highest power, would that translate into +4 AP?
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 677 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2020
    Yet another movie based appereance...
  • ejmus
    ejmus Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Exciting support character! AP Boost/Minimize is always fun.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    I can't think of any other 5* character that can fortify friendly special tiles or basic tiles. I think being able to choose the tile to be fortified is new. With Shuri, you are looking at a total of 9ap reduction in your powers, except for Heimdall who gets only 3ap reduction from Shuri.

You can deal a maximum of 45395 with his red power. Shuri will make this happen a lot more easily.

Gaining 6 ap for 8 yellow ap seems a little broken. So, I think it could be 3ap at most.

I'm going with either 4/5/4 or 3/5/5.

Heimdall is definitely a support character with only one offensive power, which is dependent on fortified tiles on the board, so I don't think he's going to be a fit in the meta tier. However, he will be in the fun tier with Shuri.

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sounds like true heal, which I love. The numbers on the healing are predictably low. He seems interesting though and the fortified tile angle could pay off with the right partner. I’ll pull as usual, he is not a skip for me.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Badass blue power. They gave him a combination of Mr. Fantastic’s old blue and 4* Widow’s yellow. He may finally be my replacement for Reed to go with Shuri and 5* Daredevil. 

And that yellow..... if your other characters are stunned, does that mean they’re not “active”? And I gotta know more about that AP gain. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't think of any other 5* character that can fortify friendly special tiles or basic tiles. I think being able to choose the tile to be fortified is new. 

You mean nobody else can just create empty fortifications? Because more than a few characters in the 5* tier can fortify tiles (hawkeye, Cable, Goblin come to mind) but they don't do it to basics. I think that power up to now has been unique to Shuri. 
  • HoundofShadow
    Yes, that's what I meant. The rest that you mentioned have specific conditions attached to them, or it's temporary due to those CDs expiring. I'm thinking of those with no condition attached to them.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the look of Heimdall, and his Shuri-like powers. He'll be a terror with BRB/Polaris i suspect. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't quite see the best strategies off the top of my head, but these powers strike me as the sort that can be exploited with clever team building.
    Blue: targeted fortification is new and should be something that we can have a lot of fun experimenting with.  add in true heal (on a blue active too, which is unusual) and ap cost-reduction? blue is perhaps the most interesting power in the kit.
    Red: pretty boring straight damage power on its own, but add in the ap-cost and damage shenanigans that you can play with blue, and this might play better in practice than it does on paper.  But this might end up being be the 3-cover skill because there are so many good red powers in 5* land that you are likely to have a better outlet for this ability on most teams.
    Yellow: 33% DR is nice, and combine with his true healing and high health pool, he might be an effective tank.  add in the AP arbitrage offer by this power and I think this power may play up in practice (much like 4* punisher's green) even though it looks clunky on paper. 
    I also note that the super high match damage trend continues.  With 70k health and true healing, this seems like demi's first attempt at a truly sustainable tank since Okoye. And I think he will be pretty good at that; 8k is a bit low if you intend to absorb big damage, but the 33% DR should make it play better if deployed well.  Unfortunately, I don't see enough offensive output for him to play in the meta by himself.  Using him to make other powers VERY cheap (imagine Apoc, but his red and black both cost 3ap!) does seem like a viable strategy though.  I think he will be very good or maybe even meta-adjacent (with the caveat that I tend to value true healing very highly compared to the playerbase at large). 
    Additionally, it seems pretty clear to the me that the character design team(s) at Demi is/are in a good place right now.  for more or less the past year the characters have been interesting and useful, but not obviously OP, with only a few outliers.  (sadly, many of these good characters have been 4*s with accordingly low marginal value to the game overall).  So well done, demi!
  • HoundofShadow
    This is going to be a modification of my IM40, Shuri, and Mysterio team from the past.

With IM40, you'll gain 12 red, 12 blue, 9 green and 3 purple ap.

Fire Heimdall's blue power twice. You'll have 6 fortify tiles. Now, you can fire Shuri's red power 4 times, which give you 20-24 fortified tiles and another 6 from Heimdall.

You can now stun all three opponents (if you're lucky) for up to 3 turns because her green power will cost only 3ap. If you have Shuri's Support, you can gain 1 ap for each colour every turn in PvEs if you meet the condition. Repeat the above but use Heimdall's red power instead. If things go wrong, you can always use Shuri to stun the opponent.

Magik could work too if you can keep on spamming abilities and special tiles.
  • Vhailorx
    edited September 2020
    I like the look of Heimdall, and his Shuri-like powers. He'll be a terror with BRB/Polaris i suspect. 

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment re: polaris.  her strength is lots of passive damage procs and flooding the board with specials.  But her tiles by themselves are fairly puny by 5* standards, so she more or less needs a damage booster (kitty, okoye, or Apoc) to really play in 5* land.  Additionally, heimdall doesn't really leverage special tiles or passive damage ticks at all; his strengths are various ap shenanigans to improve active powers, and tanking damage.  plus, polaris and heimdall will always be fighting for blue ap.
    *I think apoc might be a good fit with him (although they do overlap on 2 colors).  Apoc is really good, and even better if his powers cost 6 or less, plus heimdall tanks 2 colors for him, making the team quite survivable.  Add a good blue and/or red battery as the third wheel and this team looks quite strong. 
    *HE might also be an interesting pairing, as he will passively fortify tiles that will make powers cheaper to keep the train rolling.
    *Okoye + IH might be also be a good match.  Both can true heal on different colors (so they won't fight for ap), and IH's red is even scarier at 3ap.  Add in okoye-boosting and IH's passive AOE and this team will really really hurt.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    His blue will either reduce one color power by 3 3 power colors by one.  This will work better for the player rather than the AI which is good.  If his healing is true healing even better.

red solid reminds me of Thor but with fortified tiles instead of special tiles.  

Yellow interesting with the AP generation especially if it gives 6 AP instead of 3.  I think it will probably give just 3 but you never know.  

It seems like the devs are trying to create characters to compete with 1/2 health Thor as AP generators.BRB gives AP with matching protect tiles, Onslaught can give you strong cascade potential after a match 4 and now Heimdall with his yellow and blue.  I am not sure he has a true natural 5* partner and his powers don’t seem OP.  I guess I will wait and see how he turns out.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2020
    So is this why archangel got a buff over weaker 5 stars? Are they anticipating heimdalls sending teammates airborne power to be so awesome that we'll all want to use angel to counter him?
  • Vhailorx
    edited September 2020
    So it's this why archangel got a buff over weaker 5 stars? Are they anticipating heimdalls sending teammates airborne power to be so awesome that we'll all want to use angel to counter him?

I think this makes sense (well, except for the 'sending teammates airborne being awesome'). I am pretty sure there is a track record of older characters receiving reworks in anticipation of new releases, though I can't recall the specific examples now. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I found a team he would work really well with.  Hawkey Coulson Heimdall.  Hawkeye blue once rolling will cost 3 AP and you can run Heimdall 3,5,5.  You can use Heimdall’s red to do massive damage with a ton of fortified tiles out too.  When you get 30 blue AP you could even heal Heimdall back to full health.

you could also try GG teams to help fortify tiles or you could go down to 4* land.  Prowler might get interesting with the fortified special tiles.  

It feels like a stretch to find teams to make great use of his powers
  • TriSentinel
    TriSentinel Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    I like the detail that Hofund's power is tied to the colours of the rainbow (bridge). Nicely done, devs!
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    Good job on an interesting and useful character!
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    I like the detail that Hofund's power is tied to the colours of the rainbow (bridge). Nicely done, devs!
    Holy cats, that's brilliant!!! Good eye -- and good thematic design, devs.

Great design on him overall. Color me very impressed with what a solid self-sustainable character he is, with a bit in his kit for all occasions or any groupings. Excited to roster him!