***** Killmonger (Erik Stevens) *****

Options

Comments

• LHammer
    LHammer Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    I like that he has next-generation Teen Jean AI.  She would only entice you with potential fives on the starting board but he actually drops fives in for you after you move with an immediately match for your crit tile.  How considerate of him.
    I'm 0 for 2 against him because he keeps wiping me with surprise jackpot cascades before I can do anything.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kross said:
    Forgive me if this has been asked, (and forgive if my explanation is poor) but...

If one side makes a match 5, and KM locks the crit tile, but there are already 2 color gems surrounding the crit, does the player get a crit match 3, and then the crit tile unlocks and will allow for another crit match?

Seems like this could double crit damage.

And would KM then generate 10 red AP? and do double his damage?

As the video shows, KM did double dip and took 10 red AP from Thor.
    P.S. I'm working on videos, should have more up this afternoon. If anybody has team ideas LMK.

• RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Thanos said:
    Kross said:
    Forgive me if this has been asked, (and forgive if my explanation is poor) but...

If one side makes a match 5, and KM locks the crit tile, but there are already 2 color gems surrounding the crit, does the player get a crit match 3, and then the crit tile unlocks and will allow for another crit match?

P.S. I'm working on videos, should have more up this afternoon. If anybody has team ideas LMK.

Looked more like 2 separate crits matched by the enemy, as opposed to 'double-matching' a single locked crit.
    So that's just the passive triggering on 2 separate events, but we'll soon see how it works otherwise.

Would love to see a fight against Chavez when she's creating crits against you each turn. 
    Maybe KM with Prof X & Onslaught in SIM. And hopefully a decent duo with Sinister as previously mentined.
    Otherwise, any team that feeds KM red to see how killer that can be. Thanks!
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

(4) the purple is most reminiscent of 3* doom's purple.  if you forget about it early in the match, it can really come back to bite you.  but if you pay attention to ap denial and manage your casting, it's not too hard to play around.
    At least with Doom's purple, you know it's only on purple, with KM his traps are on 3 colors.  Can't really play around that too much.  Maybe it was just bad luck, but it took me 4 times with the loaner to down him.  Purple and red powers galore.  

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanos said:
    Kross said:

Helpful video, thanks Thanos.  great work as always!
    Some additional things I would like to know:
    (1) how does his black passive function when the opponent makes a match-5 that immediately results in one or more cascade matches including the critical?  Also, how does it resolve when a tile-spawning power creates multiple critical matches at once?
    (2) How does his red passive interact with thor's green passive (or other tile destruction powers)?  If you play him with halfthor against an opponent with green as the strongest color, is thor's green match damage improved, or only KM's?  If you play him with halfthor against an opponent with red as the strongest color, does thor's passive tile destruction to extra damage?
    (3) thorkoye is probably the most common tile-spawning team in 5* land.  How well does KM's black shut down multi-casts of okoye's yellow? 
    (4) otherwise, seeing him against the standard 5* meta teams, as well as chavez and karnak would be nice.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    Options
    My 5* BP kills KM too fast so I used my other 2 BPs. What I learned...

- Getting hit by KM’s Purple hurts. Denying purple from him needs to be a priority. 
    - the crit that’s locked doesn’t have a ring around it or anything. You just can’t move it. But you can easily match it with the tiles around it. But.....
    - getting hit with his red power hurts too. Which is fed each time you match the crit if you have more than 5 red. 
    - if you match a crit and have 5+ red, he steals but doesn’t do the other damage. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

(4) the purple is most reminiscent of 3* doom's purple.  if you forget about it early in the match, it can really come back to bite you.  but if you pay attention to ap denial and manage your casting, it's not too hard to play around.
    At least with Doom's purple, you know it's only on purple, with KM his traps are on 3 colors.  Can't really play around that too much.  Maybe it was just bad luck, but it took me 4 times with the loaner to down him.  Purple and red powers galore.  

It took me 2x. But the loaner is a **** 3* only boosted to 310. 3* powers don't scale well as Rage of the Panther only did 5k damage at L310 which is wasted since it's an AOE in a 1v1 battle. The only real useful power is his Yellow for the strikes which you need to win.
    Interestingly I got match 5's in both battles. In one case I only had 3 red AP and it didn't seem to punish me for matching the locked crit. So maybe a locked crit doesn't count (vs an unlocked crit) since the damage wasn't multiplied either.
    One unusual thing did happen in my first battle. Late in the fight I had 6 Yellow and made a yellow match. But on my next turn I was back to 6 Yellow and wasn't able to use Battleplan. I might have won had I been able to cast it. Not sure what happened to my AP.
    KGB
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    Vhailorx said:

It took me 2x. But the loaner is a **** 3* only boosted to 310. 3* powers don't scale well as Rage of the Panther only did 5k damage at L310 which is wasted since it's an AOE in a 1v1 battle. The only real useful power is his Yellow for the strikes which you need to win.
    Interestingly I got match 5's in both battles. In one case I only had 3 red AP and it didn't seem to punish me for matching the locked crit. So maybe a locked crit doesn't count (vs an unlocked crit) since the damage wasn't multiplied either.
    One unusual thing did happen in my first battle. Late in the fight I had 6 Yellow and made a yellow match. But on my next turn I was back to 6 Yellow and wasn't able to use Battleplan. I might have won had I been able to cast it. Not sure what happened to my AP.
    KGB
    Yeah, I get that the loaner was 3*... but to your last point, has that happened a lot?  I swear there are matches where I'm one match away from using a power, and then after the AI's turn I'm short AP.  It's happened enough that I don't think it's in my head, but then again cabin fever makes Waddles something something... 
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Poor BP got trounced on my first try, second attempt I backed out of. Won it on the 3rd with about 1100 HPs left. I agree purple denial is important, unless you somehow have a team that can fire a power every round (Legion maybe). Also, the crit tile manipulation is pretty crazy.

Any word on how Karnak works against Killmonger? He’s not making match 5s neccisarily and I’m assuming he isn’t allowed to destroy the locked crit tile?
  • KGB
    Options
    KGB said:

KGB
    Yeah, I get that the loaner was 3*... but to your last point, has that happened a lot?  I swear there are matches where I'm one match away from using a power, and then after the AI's turn I'm short AP.  It's happened enough that I don't think it's in my head, but then again cabin fever makes Waddles something something... 
    It's happened to me several times in the last few weeks. The first few I thought I had the same cabin fever. But it's happened frequently enough now that I know it's not in my head especially since you've experienced the same thing. Like most veteran players I know which AP pools need 1 more match to fire an important power so there is no way we are imagining it. I wish the game had a replay mode or a way to make my Android phone auto-record a video of every battle that would then get deleted the next time you started another battle (ie just record last battle).
    Some combination of events causes the AP loss to the player.
    KGB
  • Thanos
    Options
    Been busy today but here's a couple more videos to hold you all over until tonight.

• KGB
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Played a couple more times hoping to see the mysterious AP loss (didn't happen).
    But I can confirm that locked crits don't count against you. In other words KM doesn't take 5 Red or punish you with damage if you match a locked crit. At the same time the Crit doesn't give the crit multiplier.
    So he won't punish players ala Teen Jean as long as you match the crit immediately when it's locked (this also denies it to KM's team). It makes his Black much more defensive in nature (ie prevent crit damage against KM's team) unless your facing America/Karnak type teams and definitely means I'd run it at 3 covers if I ever did cover him (no urgency for me since he's not meta).
    KGB
  • RickOShay
    Options
    I've been trying to analyze the play through with half Thor,, and the acceleration of red looks great as you'd expect.
    But Thors accumulation of green & yellow may be slowed a bit due to his god mode avoiding tiles with KM's traps on them. 
    Green is kind of a big deal when running Thor, and you don't really want to leave him in front by making those matches.  Need to see more play I guess, maybe in Introducing...

Also, those cascades for both teams were just nuts. Thanks for those vids so far!
  • Thanos
    Options
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What are your thoughts so far thanos?  He certainly doesn't seem bad, but I also don't see him doing significantly better than the existing meta teams.  Am I missing something?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After watching the Thanos videos and playing with him in his introducing event he feels like a 5* Karnak.  His best ability seems to be his red where he can throw out the critical tiles to create cascades doing extra damage.  This generates more AP for more powers.  His black is very hit or miss and only shined against America.  His Purple is a nice outlet in VS but in PVE it has been hard to get a lot of trap tiles out.

from the videos he came across as useful but not meta or necessary.  I don’t see him as a great defensive character against cascades and match 5’s since in the video when the locked critical tile was matched he did not steal AP or do damage.  

I will still applaud the devs in making an interesting character utilizing critical tiles in a new way.  I think he on the same tier as Havok when it comes to recent characters.
  • Kwahder
    Kwahder Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Does his red create two critical tiles at 4 covers or just one? It only says one ingame.
  • RickOShay
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Kwahder said:
    Does his red create two critical tiles at 4 covers or just one? It only says one ingame.
    Whoa, it also says it creates 1 critical tile at level 5 in-game. Did this change since the videos were produced?

When looking at his Ability descriptions prior to a match his red at level 5 states 'a critical tile'. However, when within a match, the specific ability states 'creates 2 critical tiles'. This IS what happens in the Introducing... event thankfully. But I still worry a nerf could have taken place thereafter for real rostered KM's going forward.

@Thanos
    @IceIX
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    Options
    *edit 

Original post was modified, it is 2 crits at 4 covers yay.
  • Thanos
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    What are your thoughts so far thanos?  He certainly doesn't seem bad, but I also don't see him doing significantly better than the existing meta teams.  Am I missing something?

He's decent but nothing to write home about. I wouldn't bust my hoard specifically for him.
    @RickOShay, He does make 2 crits at level 5. They need to change the wording.