Marvel Puzzle Quest Sneak Peek: July, 2020 (Updated 7/28/20)

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Daredevil217

I wanted to "Like" your post, but I don't like it one bit.  I mean I like the points, but not the situation.

Hey, remember when they did that Comic-Con video just a few weeks ago when they talked about engaging with the community.....?

Maybe D3go is too busy developing the next game which they hope can be spun up into a profit-generating machine.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was just thinking that the forum is really a dead outlet for them now. Sneak Peak and New Character announcements were basically the last two things we got here, and now we just get New Character posts...sometimes.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once they stop posting the update notes and new character announcements I think they’ll truly be done and it’ll be a player-run fan site. So I guess they could restrict more. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    and it’ll be a player-run fan site. So I guess they could restrict more. 
    Fan? I suppose a fan and air conditioner site. 
    Because other meaning of the word is arguable.
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Even in the character sneak peek they won't reveal who else is in the Wolverine Legendary vault.  It's still TBD.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
  • Bad
    Death too? Who knows, maybe they eat too many beans in a closed room with fans lol
  • chf5868
    chf5868 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2020

That's 5 minutes I'll never get back, but I had a few waiting on updates anyway....

• Stan_The_Man
    Stan_The_Man Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    RIP Sneak Peek. You are missed.

Do you think we'll be getting a boss event later this week, with the Samurai Daken release store?
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    RIP Sneak Peek. You are missed.

Do you think we'll be getting a boss event later this week, with the Samurai Daken release store?
    No one knows , we are now in the proverbial blonde leading the blonde 
  • bluewolf
    It has been months since a new 5s release store ran with a boss event that gave away tokens for it. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ya know, I thought we were all joking about the next sneak being in September..........
  • DoneWithThis
    DoneWithThis Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    I'm not saying the game is dying...

But this his how those topics get started. 
  • Bad
    I'm not saying the game is dying...

But this his how those topics get started. 
    Said the guy who was done with this.
  • DoneWithThis
    Not THIS (or at least, not JUST this)!   :D
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Every year, there are players who predict this game is dying. I think a year or two back, if I remembered correctly, someone floated a rumour that Marvel is closing down Marvel games because one of them got closed down. Unfortunately for them, we are reaching the 7th year soon.

On the flipside, I won't deny that a broken clock is right twice a day. All people need to do is to predict that the game is "dying soon" at the beginning and in the middle of the year, and when it really happens, there will be lots of "I told you so."
  • DoneWithThis
    To be clear, I was not suggesting it's actually dying. I was just making the point that when there is a prolonged silence from the devs, it's very easy to make the leap that there's no point since they know the end date is looming. 

As far as I can tell, it's still making money, so it will be around as long as it's still doing that. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think that's the problem. If we were to add in more context, things could be seen differently. The last time the dev said something about the game was in the live Twitch on 23/07/20. They laid out what they had in store for us:

1) possible new function/ui to choose characters for battle
    2) new healing mechanic with the introduction of Anti-Venom next week
    3) new goons
    4) working on new feature/function coming up for anniversary
    5) something geared specifically towards the more veteran players in the near future. 
    6) new character creation, similar to what they did with Peggy Carter.

Out of these 6 items, 4-5 of them have been fulfilled. No. 5 had some hiccups so it's semi fulfilled. There might be more in store for no. 1. I think what's more important that they have fulfilled most of what they had promised within a month.

The way I see things is that despite not updating the sneak peak thread, some of the upcoming events can be found in OMD thread. Again, sneak peak is not important to me because I'm going to forget most of the details anyway, but I understand it's important to some for planning.

I will start getting worried if zero thread is started in this forum for a month: no release notes, new 4* and 5* character thread. 

• Bad
    I think that's the problem. If we were to add in more context, things could be seen differently. The last time the dev said something about the game was in the live Twitch on 23/07/20. They laid out what they had in store for us:

In fact the game is experimenting from the last year and a half more changes(and surely better)that it had in all his history imo.
    New slice, new minions, new modes, good meta chars variety, and what is coming on the anniversary.
  • bluewolf
    edited August 2020
    I don't think the game is PLANNING to shut down....nor that it is heading there....I hope?  Every game like this (live service or whatever the right term is, a game that provides constant content to chase which keeps the game in operation as people spend to keep up or catch up) will not stop producing stuff until the end.  Even at the point they announced a game shutdown in 30 or 60 days or whatever, I would expect the tail end of whatever content was in the pipeline to continue until that point or close to it.  (Presumably purchases would be discounted as they tried to milk whatever cash they could until the end.)

The fact is that both Demiurge and D3Go depend on MPQ, currently, for the lion's share of their revenue generating activities.  D3Go's other games produce a small fraction of MPQ's revenue and Demiurge may be working on next generation consoles eventually, but who knows what that looks like and the consoles aren't even on sale yet!  Maybe when the consoles are actually on the market and Demiurge can ramp up development more (make money from) them we will see some changes as far as developmental things and effort - it's even possible they are pushing a lot of stuff into the game now that has been on their board/wish list while they have the time/resources/available team members, in anticipation of shifting team members onto console development later this year or in 2021 once the new consoles take off.  This isn't to say that either company would stop working on MPQ soon.  But it's obvious that in the FTP space (and games in general) nothing is permanent.  SEGA used to be one of the Big Two console makers, for example.  Ask Sega Heroes players how happy they are with the sale of Demiurge from Sega back to the original owners.

My belief about recent communications is that Demiurge generates a lot of the posts we see here.  It makes sense that when a new character comes along, or new rules about how SCL10 scoring works, or new minions, etc etc, that the developers (who have a fuller understanding of what they have done/are doing) would produce the communication pieces about those changes.  The publisher posts them here (their role is to maintain the public face of the game and interactions with players, it seems to me). Sometimes (before) they would collect questions and get clarification on issues from Demiurge.  Now they seem to be mostly "post and done".

As far as the Sneak Peek, my understanding over the years is that Demiurge has a document they maintain that they share (presumably still do this) with D3go that allows D3go to create a list of events here and tell us what to expect..  We don't know if that document has been less-maintained (although you would think there would some internal document that Demiurge uses for everyone on the team to see what's coming, and that same document is what they share with D3go, rather than maintaining two documents etc).  So my gut feeling is the Sneak Peek is the thing we (players) most value on a day-to-day basis (given the relative rarity of impactful game changes) and it is run by D3 who has definitely scaled back on their efforts to communicate with us for whatever reasons.  For whatever reason they appear to have decided (or circumstances have dictated) that keeping the Sneak Peek running isn't a priority, at least for now.