Introducing legion (day by day discussion)

13»

Comments

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, the point was that it would be nice to not have to wait for a cover. It’s no secret that those of us transitioning into 4s get a lot of ground on new 4s, usually able to champ them before they leave latest rotation. If you can’t access CL10 for PvP, you have to get shards/covers for placement which is hard to do on a fledgling 4* roster. Otherwise, you’re slogging 40 wins before the PvE event.

The devs should know the limits of our ability to perform for the new release and adjust rewards so that rosters who are developing their 4s aren’t locked in to specific slices based on the availability of the new 4*. Either a bonus amount of shards in the featured PvP or some other avenue of getting at least one cover before the new character is featured in an essential node that doesn’t require a 5*. It’s another QoL issue for rosters not as developed as those who can play SCL10.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    For new release PvEs, players can gain cover even for top 50 or 100 even in SCL 7.  I think top 100 shouldn't be that difficult?
  • krakenoon
    @HoundofShadow

It’s not that I won’t get a cover from the PvE, it’s that I’m locked in the same slice or later for the upcoming event.
  • HoundofShadow
    So, you are playing different slices for both consecutive PvEs?
  • krakenoon
    I would like the ability to.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Valkyrie is once again the MVP of WtS node 4.
    With one purple match and a Bounty, you can immediately shut down the green production.

One green repeater and match damage is enough to trigger Bounty every turn.

Keep the purple AP above the red until there are repeaters on all the colors you want to deny.
    Then you can switch to red, and it does 40-50K a shot.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Day 3 was easy.

I wonder why ghouls or monsters are used as part of his animations.
    Each animation for his powers is a different persona of his multiple personalities. 
    Who is the octopus guy? Looks like a mind flayer or something from Lovecraft-world. And very cool!
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    krakenoon said:
    I would like the ability to.
    The 4* covers in new releases are very generous as far as placement goes.  I played in SCL9 where the T200 get a full Legion cover; I am not sure if it's that generous down to SCL7.

But, a major reason (I assume) they hand out so many covers for new 4s is simply because they are very likely to require you to buy a roster slot (or sell a character, I guess).  A good portion of the time, that equates to someone spending some money on HP.  It's a win-win as players get something to work on (add covers) and the devs like keeping you playing.

You also get a cover from progression (or 2 (or more) - whatever it is you get in your SCL of choice) and you have the 40 wins option in PVP.  I realize that players sometimes like switching slices but I don't think the current system is  player-unfriendly as far as getting those covers for a new 4.  
  • krakenoon
    @bluewolf

Hmm, not sure how to communicate what I want to here. IF I were able to play PvP SCL10 or place well in America’s event, I would have been able to roster Legion before the end of this PvE event. Since I do not have a developed roster or the time to pump into PvP (nor can I really be competitive there) I have to wait for the placement rewards in DvM to roster him. I just think it would be nice to be able to roster him before finishing the event so I can choose a different slice if needed.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited June 2020
    You see the Legion & Friends Vault or the Deadpool vs MPQ HP store? That's the solution for your specific scenario. 

I suspect you are playing at slice 5 in PvE because if you were to play slice 1, you could choose slice 2-5. Slice 2: 3-5 and so on. Playing slice 5 would require you to choose only slice 5 for new releases or classic 4* that you don't have. 
  • krakenoon
    By the same token, the DvM store is a solution as well, which is to say no solution at all. I’m in slice 4, which means I could have maybe lucked out & hit a flip, but not likely, so yes I am stuck in slice 4/5.
    Not sure if your advice was meant in good faith, but my point is people in the 4* tier should have better options for getting a cover before the event ends. Not on any merit of deserving anything, just a clear QoL improvement for those of us who struggle.
  • shobi6669
    shobi6669 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    krakenoon said:
    @bluewolf

Hmm, not sure how to communicate what I want to here. IF I were able to play PvP SCL10 or place well in America’s event, I would have been able to roster Legion before the end of this PvE event. Since I do not have a developed roster or the time to pump into PvP (nor can I really be competitive there) I have to wait for the placement rewards in DvM to roster him. I just think it would be nice to be able to roster him before finishing the event so I can choose a different slice if needed.

You can definitely do it.  I was in last slice for DvMCU and I chose the 1st slice of Lost in Time.  The legion cover is the 6th award at 4500 points.  It may make you do the nodes in a different order than you are used to (prefer?) (is optimal?) but by doing the other nodes first, especially the 5* and challenge nodes, you can get enough points to get Legion in the 1st part of the 1st sub and do his required node in every sub.  I do not know if the points work out that you can do this for every event, but I did it on this "overlapping" event since I had to pick slices due to work that overlapped for a bit.  Good luck!
  • HoundofShadow
    edited June 2020
    You don't need to catch a flip to get top 100 placements for new release events. I have entered the first bracket of a slice and played 6 hours after it started for a few times in the past and I still could get position 5x after doing the optimal clear. At the end of the event, I was at 2x or 3x in SCL 7.

Assuming you are playing in the same slice for both events, the rewards will come in after you do 4 clears of 3* and 2* essentials. Then, you can start doing the 4* essential. Before shards was introduced, I had to wait for the 4* cover via placement rewards for characters that I don't have. It doesn't affect your placement a lot to get the cover 5 minutes later.

I think this is more of a niche scenario. New 4* covers are dropping like candies after the introduction of shards and you don't need to play SCL 10 PvP to get new 4* release shards. Since you are waiting for a flip which takes hours to happen, you would have received your placement rewards by then. So, I'm confused why that is a problem.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had a good time stalling the match so I could see how long a "tail" I could get on Legion's attack tile generating power - for some reason it was rather fun watching it dive and dart around special tiles/team-ups, leaving a tail of attack tiles in its wake. It finally ended up in a corner with no open basic tiles and expired, but it was entertaining while it lasted.  
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    The JJ 5E on day 3 was insane, I thank whomever suggested Valkyrie as the third which made it slow but easy .
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, my JJ was downed by Thing after three moves. Even with Legion invisible Star Lords purple will nibble away at the rest of your team. I have no patience for troll nodes and refuse to play them.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    For the third day I'm thankful that Legion has invisibility. I got hit by Thing, Mordo and Star-Lord but only one of SL powers does any damage if invisible (Sleight of hand, I think).

I did however fail first time, bc my invisibilty tile was matched and then it's basically game over.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Dogface said:
    For the third day I'm thankful that Legion has invisibility. I got hit by Thing, Mordo and Star-Lord but only one of SL powers does any damage if invisible (Sleight of hand, I think).

I did however fail first time, bc my invisibilty tile was matched and then it's basically game over.
    You can have multiple invisibility tiles plus enforce them . Deny AOE colors until they’re down and use the AP drain x3 on any AOE power. Red yellow and green provide your offense 
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Day 3 was a bit harder to complete with Valkyrie (compared to Day 2), due to the difficulty of getting Bounty on any targets besides Thing. But it still works, and if anything, makes it even more fun to play.

One lapse on purple AP, and Sleight of Hand took out JJ/Valkyrie, so I really had to scramble for the win after that. Never did get enough black for invis, but that made it all the more interesting to solve.

Definitely going to play this one multiple times just for fun.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    krakenoon said:
    @bluewolf

This is by design. If only something like 15-20% of the player base are able to get that cover before the first event where the new character is required, odds are good that a non-negligible portion of the remainder will spend to get them from the vault.