Has Apocalypse change the meta?

Options
atomzed
atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
Following the excellent discussion of Apocalypse pros and cons in the new meta, Apocalypse is no longer in God-mode, and we can review how he has changed the meta. 

Has Apocalypse change the meta? 75 votes

Yes, Apocalypse team is the new meta, the other meta teams have been overtaken.
0%
No, but he has created more variety to the meta.
56%
ThanosPolareszonatahuntkillercoolthedarkphoenixatomzedSnowcaTTGrimSkaldwymtimeNajboljiMrBowersaxmossChipster22jackstar0rdvargas1liminal_ladKross[Deleted User]The Viceroy ReturnsSteve111 42 votes
No, the meta remains the same.
16%
sinnerjfl_VittoTony_FootJackDeath666Captain_CarlmanBorstockrobertbahbowla33BigSoftieFFChrynos1989MrPlowRavaaja 12 votes
Maybe. its too early to say.
26%
KolenceWil88stevenbruleAXP_ismegravelAlfje17DyingLegendMadScientistsoontirPalookavilleAres76skittledaddyMadroxAndiTiGreenroomMichael1957PhyxiusKungfullama12JexyMr_F 20 votes
Others: please specify
1%
Bad 1 vote

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I voted the second option (No, but he has created more variety to the meta). 

After playing against him, he is strong on defence, but is not scary. The other meta teams (like Thorokoye, Britty, Bishop-BRB) still remains viable against Apocalypse. 

I used different teams against Apocalypse, and i can play in my normal way. he didn't feel too difficult, even though a bad cascade and inability to deny yellow is going to cause me to lose the game.

I don't have a champ Apocalypse yet, so i can't comment how he plays on offence. but i heard good things about him.
  • Feliz
    Feliz Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I played against a champed one, made me think but not impossible to beat. I like him actually, good variety.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I couldn't float as high with god boost apoc and BRB as I can with BRB Kitty, so I switched back and had a much better time of no hits again. I regret breaking hoard on Apoc and ihulk but it's done now and they can join the others I have and never or rarely use.

ihulks my own fault, I took him up too high at 430 and he tanks too many colours for pve. I was only concentrating on not tanking red over okoye and forgot about purple blue.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tony_Foot said:
    I couldn't float as high with god boost apoc and BRB as I can with BRB Kitty, so I switched back and had a much better time of no hits again. I regret breaking hoard on Apoc and ihulk but it's done now and they can join the others I have and never or rarely use.

ihulks my own fault, I took him up too high at 430 and he tanks too many colours for pve. I was only concentrating on not tanking red over okoye and forgot about purple blue.
    People may actually be more likely to attack an apoc right now when he is still somewhat rare in the wild and people want to experiment. 

It wouldn't surprise me if apoc doesn't enter the defensive meta (hard to do so without a strong passive). But overall I basically fall into the "it's too early to tell" camp.  It was  3-4 months after BRB came out before brbitty became  really hard to avoid in PVP. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've had zero trouble against him so far while running BRBitty.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2020
    Options
    He isn’t broken enough to be meta.

Bill = broken beyond belief.
    Bishop = that horse is long been dead.

Much to Apocalypse’s chagrin he’s a well designed character without a broken mechanic.

Carry on with Britty and Bishop/Bill. It’s all there is to use.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Apocalypse is great on offense but not great on defense.  I still see a lot of BRB, Kitty/Bishop teams.  I also see a lot of IHulk, Okoye teams.  

I would relate Apocalypse to an Okoye type character great on offense but bad on defense.  I love using him even at 451 he is super fast with 1/2 health Thor but the AI plays him poorly.  This is what the meta characters should be like instead of BRB/Kitty teams that just take forever to play
  • Kross
    Kross Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options
    I champed him last night and starting playing around with him. I tried some teams and his yellow/black combo can do some crazy damage, especially if you put him with Okoye.

My feeling was he's strong, but no where near as game changing as original 5* Gambit or Bishop was.

But I do loving using him so far.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I haven't really seen alot of people using him. Give it a month or two then we will see if he shakes it up.

I see a whole lot more Okoye/IHulk combos all over the place now and BRB/Kitty are still just as prevalent 
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I fought my first non-boosted Apocalypse in the Onslaught PvP yesterday, partnered with BRB.  The high health pool is definitely intimidating and does leave some time for things to go wrong, but he wasn't too bad to beat.  Since he was partnered with Onslaught, he couldn't be stunned, but the game allowed me to fire Bishop's blue at him, and use the blue just to reduce the opposing AP.  Nothing major, but if he's tanking, Bishop can burn the blue AP without stunning anyone if he has the right partner, rather than hoarding it until someone stunnable is in front.

• 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    With Bishop being broken with both Wiccan and DP it’s really too early to say if he’s changed the meta. I hit a couple big BRB/Bishops with Apoc/PX and annihilated them. That team might not be viable above 900 except for hops anymore (still quite speedy for hops), and that would be a big change in the meta.

Apoc himself definitely not meta, yet. However, he also doesn’t have a good partner, yet. The problem being he’s way slower than he looks on paper. BRB/Apoc unboosted is molasses slow. You need about 10 moves to really get that going. Thor/Apoc is quick, but only a small improvement defensively on Thorkoye. 

That said, they could make a character that speeds him up pretty easily and he’s got huge beast potential. For example, Falcon is surely coming soon with the Disney+ show. If they made him basically a 5* version of Vulture, playing well with both Apoc and iHulk, the conversation could switch instantly.

• 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I just hit a 502 BRB/369 Bishop, a 497 BRB/334 Bishop, and a 478 BRB/370 Bishop, right in a row in Onslaught pvp with my 466 BRB/450 Apoc and 459 PX/Apoc. Zero wipes. Not even close to any wipes. Apoc/mutant eats BRB/Bishop’s lunch. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    This thread has turned into another nerf Bishop / debate on nerfing Bill thread. That’s how powerful this combo is (by the way, Bill is fine, Bishop should be nerfed). 

Apocalypse has the high health to deal with BRB blue hits, the stun immunity to deal with Bishop blue stuns, and the protect tile ignoring to deal with boosted protect spam. Anyone complaining about this meta team and yet NOT voting for Apocalypse as being a part of the meta... you confuse me. 
    Yes, please, nerf Bishop (I also agree BRB is not the problem, Bishop triggering by a simple match3 from a 5 is).

I think he is not part of the meta because his main teammates right now, Thor and BRB are not mutants. So If you play him with them, then he is no immune to stun. If you play him with ProfX or Iceman it is not as good as with those other two. He doesnt play well with Kitty. So in the end some people just prefer to keep running BRBishop or brbitty. 

PS: I think they should have made him immune to stun without any conditions.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I know it doesn't really help those 5* players that want to play exclusively 5* teams but a mutant that makes Defense tiles for Apoc to consume is Magik. Sure, they share a color but at least her purple fuels Red for his other attack. Does Bishop jump in front of Survival of the Fittest when it wouldn't normally target him?
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    **Mod note: Split the discussion on Beta and Bishop into its own thread.

Please keep thread on topic. Thanks!
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Jacklag said:
    I know it doesn't really help those 5* players that want to play exclusively 5* teams but a mutant that makes Defense tiles for Apoc to consume is Magik. Sure, they share a color but at least her purple fuels Red for his other attack. Does Bishop jump in front of Survival of the Fittest when it wouldn't normally target him?
    Another mutant that I think will work well with Apoc might be Cable, ironically enough. He may not produce Defense tiles, but he makes Strike tiles, which improve both of Apocalypse's multiple hits powers and fortifies Apocalypse's repeaters, as to make sure you have protect tiles for black to consume
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Apoc is one of the best characters in the game. While that may not make him meta (usage determines that), he’s great. His best ability is probably the fact that Thorpocalypse runs through BRBitty teams like nobody’s business. Just make sure you match an enemy shield early and deny blue, kill Kitty (maybe deny red a bit), then kill BRB. 

Then vs BRGritty, just add BSSM, and don’t worry about matching shields early. Deny blue, kill R&G first (see if you can not use Apoc’s red on R&G if you can), deny red (there won’t be a lot anyway cuz of Thor), then kill Kitty, saving the black nuke for a one-shot to BRB.