Apocalypse: Savior of MPQ or Gambit 2.0?

Options
Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,922 Chairperson of the Boards

So... there has been a LOT of talk surrounding Apocalypse and his mechanics. There hasn’t been this much buzz around a character in a long time (probably Kitty?).  I know it’s early and at this point we’re just theory-crafting, but I’m curious what people think based on initial impressions.

Gambit 2.0?

Apocalypse has three crazy good active abilities that cost only 7 AP each! If there is some sort of formula used to create balanced characters, it was clearly tossed out the window with Apocalypse. All three of Apocalypse’s powers can be fired after a single match-3 in said colors if you bring boosts; and each power is insane for the cost

Black will do 38k-46k damage with 4 protect tiles on the board to remove (which BRB gives passively). That’s enough to take away 75%+ health from all but Bill, Iceman, Carnage, Thanos, and Sinister. He takes 90%+ health from 20 5* characters and can straight one-shot 8 of them!

Red does a ridiculous 16k damage to the lowest health opponent for 7 AP. But with a repeater on the board, the damage is over triple that and he does over 51k!  Again... enough to one-shot almost half the characters in the tier. 

His yellow not only boosts his own ability, but also tacks ~8800 damage to any friendly powers. So those multi tap and cheap ability characters get way way better with A-Poc. 

I didn’t even mentioned the friendly heal, protect tile spam, stun immunity, ignoring enemy protect tiles, or the fact that he has the highest health and match damage in the tier by far. Apocalypse is power creep on crack. His insane damage numbers, cheap AP costs, and super high health means that you can lose half your team to a bad cascade. The cries of “nerf” and “Gambit 2.0” may be justified, given that he broke the power curve compared to every other character in his tier both on offense and defense. 

Savior of MPQ?

For anyone who thought the quick hop Thorkoye and defensive Bill/Kitty/Bish metas would never be usurped, Apoc came in with an answer to just about everything you can throw at him. His red can easily bypass the pesky -1 damage that boosted Bill protect tiles cause pretty much every other damage dealing power. His stun immunity (with a proper partner) laughs in the face of Worthy/Bishop stun teams.

The painfully slow spam/buff/stun meta is now being “cleansed” by this wrecking ball that has a counter for everything. Oh and while playing our reigning fastest team (Thorkoye) puts a huge target on your back that summons copious amounts of retals from people avoiding Bish/Bill/Kitty teams... Thorpocalylse can likely hop just as fast, hit more teams without any hiccups, and make people think twice about hitting back thanks to Poc’s presence. Finally, where most of our metas have been characters that work best with a handful of characters only, Apocalypse is arguably one of the most versatile characters in the game, working well with a TON of partners. Meaning that the meta may open up to include several Apoca-based teams!  For those who wanted a shakeup to the meta and a much faster PVP experience, Apocalypse may in fact be the savior MPQ has been looking for. True to his character, you could argue he’s here to cleanse the game. 

So what do people think? Is he broken? Is he “the answer”? Is he all of it? None of it? I’ve included a poll, but would love to hear other people’s thoughts!

Apocalypse: Savior of MPQ or Gambit 2.0? 67 votes

Apocalypse is the new old Gambit
50%
KolencexKOBALTxIridiousatomzedwymtimeDeNappaAXP_ismeejmusgrunth13JangoLorejackstar0The rockettCaptain_CarlmanThe Viceroy Returnsrg72DyingLegendevariste_tacoBubba3210Tenebraebowla33 34 votes
Apocalypse is here to save the game
17%
PolaresscotteezeddicusTony_FootJackDeath666HoundofShadowKingart813dingomarcoseirasfIIAlonditeIIPhyxiusCrone 12 votes
Why not both?
20%
ThanosUNC_Samuraiy4747TalestummyGoBucsGobluewolfKGBbk201Rod5soontirAnonhelix72AlexNapalmshap328 14 votes
None of the above
10%
PorkBellyrdvargas1Kross[Deleted User]Hilkfurbear00000658_2 7 votes
Other (please explain)
0%

Comments

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the main thing apocalypse outlines is how much power creep has ruined the original 5 star group. 

They need to take a break from releasing characters for a bit, and refresh some of the original 5 stars, cause they arent even in the same league. It's safe to say old man Logan and gambit could be brought back to what they use to be. 

The best thing for a game like this is a healthy diverse meta. Is it achievable, maybe. I want to use my entire arsenal of tricks, instead of the same characters combos for eternity. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,333 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why not both?
    Shaking up the meta?  Probably good.

But either they power creep him, or you'll just see him everywhere in the near future.  I'm not sure he's the same as Gambit, as maybe there will be a good counter or two, but I guess we'll see there.

I predict people in 3/4 land will be sick of him very quickly.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A champed Apocalypse and yet his CP store is not even out? Someone faced a champed iHulk in shield simulator before his CP store was out. I wonder if it's the same person.

Apocalypse will definitely shake up the meta in PvPs.

In PvPs, the two main challenges are either getting stun-locked or getting tortured fighting against BRB/Kitty. It seems like Apocalypse was created to address both metas. 

With Apocalypse/?, even though he has high hp, but matches should be faster than facing Bishop or BRB/Kitty. This reminds me of Thorokoye dominating in PvPs in the past, but they are easy to beat. 

In 4* land, I rather face him than Prof Match-4 who Signal Boosts my team at least 3-4 times on average per fight.The amount of ap gained is ridiculous and throw in America Chavez, who is a common teammate of his, and you have critical tile going off every turn, and she will also hand you a ticket to the Multiverse.

I find that he's a really good single champed character for transition to 5* land, especially when he is teamed up with characters who can multi-tap on his yellow.  Sabretooth, Valkyrie, Human Torch, comes to mind. What's more, this beast is not dependant on other teammates. He self-feeds. Firing his black twice should be enough to end most matches.

Even though the power creep is there, at least they gave us something that a lot of players asked for, characters that are as powerful as what they had been potrayed in comics. I think not many people wanted to see Weakapocalypse in this game.

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I voted for option 1. 
    Mainly I will be proved wrong, which I will be Glad. 
    My worry is that Apocalypse is the full package. It has so much health, great match damage, low ap moves, and a skill set that complements each other. 
    The danger with such a character is that he tower so high about the rest, that you need to have him to compete in pvp.
    Fight4thedream make some interesting points.... the game does have more tools for us to deal with such a character now.  I think whether his is at an gambit-level of disaster, depends on how he plays in defence mode. If Apocalypse is AI proof, then we will witness frustration.
    Is apocalypse AI proof? Can you deny 3 colours, and take out his massive health before that? We should see.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,720 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the point being missed is for over a year people complained the top of the meta was stale, the only way to continually move on from that is power creep. You want to eat through kitty and BRB teams well here's what you have been asking for. You want to stop bishop well here it is. The other options which are nerfs which never go down well when you have spent months/years on a plan to get a character.

This signals the start of 5.5* in my opinion, you know the thing everyone wanted with 4*s that they will now complain about. People need to stop banging on about reworks to silver surfer or Jean at this point, making one of those meta just increases the CP pressure on newer players and possibly old.

The only way to play this game now is to hoard for Meta and let others slide. Sped up releases are wonderful in my opinion as fewer people will have them all and allow some variation. No good has every come from everyone having them all champed.

Apoc is here to move the game to 5.5. Excellent.
  • bluewolf
    Options
    Why not both?
    By the way, word is that Apocalypse's black is, indeed, supposed to be destroying protects and ensuring the A+B team synergy.

The in game description includes the standard disclaimer "Destroyed tiles do not deal damage or generate AP" so I assume he is bugged at the moment from both what people have heard and their own description.

So you really should expect that the A + B synergy will be in full force once they fix him.
  • atomzed
    edited May 2020
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    By the way, word is that Apocalypse's black is, indeed, supposed to be destroying protects and ensuring the A+B team synergy.

The in game description includes the standard disclaimer "Destroyed tiles do not deal damage or generate AP" so I assume he is bugged at the moment from both what people have heard and their own description.

So you really should expect that the A + B synergy will be in full force once they fix him.
    Sigh that’s what I am worried about. It will elevate A+B team to tier 1. 
    Boost +4 black. Match 1 black. Cast Apocalypse black, Kill off one enemy almost instantly. Generate 4 blue and 4 green. Cast BRB blue to finish off the enemy, if it is still standing. 
    That’s around 60k worth of damage on T2. Even gambit 1.0 takes a while to reach that damage level. 
  • atomzed
    Options
    658_2 said:

As an aside, I noticed the guy running Apoc switched from BRB to PX as the event went on, which I thought was interesting. 
    He’s probably fighting the wave of Bishop + BRB team, so he needed the stun immunity. 
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If Apocalypse is as good in reality as he seems to be in theory, then perhaps they are doing us a favor in moving up his release, since that will leave him in tokens for longer than the 4/5/4/5 rotation would normally allow for. 

Admittedly, this is at the cost of Havok, but whaddayagonnado?
  • Kingart813
    Kingart813 Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm super happy about this release!  Very Solid  Character that gives more options to face off against meta teams.  I say keep them coming, and rework some previous characters to shake up the meta and give us variety
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Won't it be fun to see him in every challenge node with a mutant and brb with 600k health by himself at level 650.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the main thing apocalypse outlines is how much power creep has ruined the original 5 star group. 

They need to take a break from releasing characters for a bit, and refresh some of the original 5 stars, cause they arent even in the same league. It's safe to say old man Logan and gambit could be brought back to what they use to be. 

The best thing for a game like this is a healthy diverse meta. Is it achievable, maybe. I want to use my entire arsenal of tricks, instead of the same characters combos for eternity. 
    I'll second the return of gambit to 2.0 status and oml to his former glory.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Apoc will not be as dominant as Gambit.  The 5* tier is much bigger now, so it's harder to dominant everyone so utterly. But even more important is that apoc doesn't have the sort of passive powers that can dominate the game on offense and defense (things like passive ap gen or damage boosting are both fast and ai-proof).

The last time a meta team did not rely purely on active powers was what?  4* thorverine? sentry bombing?  That was 2014/15.  It's just really really hard to dominate all game modes without strong passives.

I think apoc will enter the meta mix on offense, in pvp and maybe even in pve.  He has cheap, good powers and a ton of versatility.  But on defense he seems more likely to be something like gritty, in that he will likely hurt to fight, but can be dealt with reliably, than to be like Gambit 1.0 or stunner bro teams where the only reasonable option is to use a mirror team.
  • bluewolf
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Why not both?
    Aweberman said:
    If Apocalypse is as good in reality as he seems to be in theory, then perhaps they are doing us a favor in moving up his release, since that will leave him in tokens for longer than the 4/5/4/5 rotation would normally allow for. 

Admittedly, this is at the cost of Havok, but whaddayagonnado?
    It's a good point that if the next characters are:  4/4/5/4/5/4/5, that will give Apocalypse 14 weeks in Latests vs 12 for everyone else under a 4/5/4/5 schedule.  So yeah, Havok gets the short end of the stick with a 10 week stay, but that seems par for the course for the guy we really think of as "Cyclop's brother".  He's the Liam Hemsworth of the X-men, lol.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,922 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah but that’s assuming they “course correct” and give us two 4* in a row. Which I have zero reason to believe will happen knowing this company. They’ve already taken the “hits” for this. Might as well keep applying that pressure. I believe if we were getting two 4* to even things out, that would have been part of the whole “our hands were tied” press release. 
  • bluewolf
    Options
    Why not both?
    Yeah but that’s assuming they “course correct” and give us two 4* in a row. Which I have zero reason to believe will happen knowing this company. They’ve already taken the “hits” for this. Might as well keep applying that pressure. I believe if we were getting two 4* to even things out, that would have been part of the whole “our hands were tied” press release. 
    They never tell us anything, historically, in terms of expected characters, rarities, etc.  The only change recently has been telling us at the beginning of the month that we can expect another character that month, and I think they have been telling us it will be a 5 recently, since they have been releasing a 4 first then a 5 (until Apocalypse).

To be fair to them, I suspect they err on the side of caution in terms of "what if something blows up and we can't release that same character a month from now?".

However yes, it would be foolish to expect two 4's in a row at this point.  We will see what they do and if they are committed in a balanced release pattern in terms of adding to the different tiers.

All that said, a little communication about this would go a long way.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    The last time a meta team did not rely purely on active powers was what?  4* thorverine? sentry bombing?  That was 2014/15.  It's just really really hard to dominate all game modes without strong passives.
    Even both of those used Hood in Pick-3, if I’m not mistaken.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZootSax said:
    Vhailorx said:
    Even both of those used Hood in Pick-3, if I’m not mistaken.
    Sentry bombing more or less required sentry to proc the CDs early.  So it's a bit of a cheat to call it an active-only strat.  But it would have been viable with just Hood's black, so I think it counts.  Thorverine was definitely a true, active-only meta.