** Daken (Dark Avengers Wolverine) ** [PRE 2014-09]

Comments

• Does anyone have another strategy for Daken that uses 2* characters? My GSBW is only 1/3/1 and quite weak atm. Perhaps Daken/Thor/Storm?

I use Daken 2*/Storm 1*/ and the other just depends on who is available and who is out for healing. Daken creates killer RED strike tiles when you match the GREEN for Storm. Plus as long as you keep enough yellow on the board, he usually heals more than he's been attacked (exception of cascades), which keeps him generally at full health. Between his RED stike tiles and Storm's strike tiles, it makes quick work of your enemies. I generally use the 3rd Random character as a tank when I know the AI is about to set off a special ability.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    To counteract this nerf, they really need to introduce the third skill for THIS Daken. It simply makes no sense for Lazy Daken to have a third skill all worked out while the original Daken is left capped at level 69.
    This is a very reasonable suggestion.
  • Konman wrote:
    And Daken gets neutered, max level strike tile dropped from 38 to 24. Was Daken even on the list for nerfing?

I agree. However, given that he is a Black/Purple, the active must be Blue (Seeing how everyone else with that combo has that). They could convert his passive to Green and give him an active Red.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    It's a nerf. Let's go to the surveys. Where did I put those? Oh yeah.

Poll: Next Villains to add to the game
    Poll: Next Heroes to add to the game
    Poll: What character is the most fun to play?
    Poll: What character is the most fun to play? (original)
    Poll: Which Opponents are the least fun to fight?

In that last poll, Daken is the runaway favorite for being the least fun opponent. So he had it coming. However, as mentioned at the Daken (Dark Avengers Wolverine) page,
    To counteract this nerf, they really need to introduce the third skill for THIS Daken. It simply makes no sense for Lazy Daken to have a third skill all worked out while the original Daken is left capped at level 69.

That way, he can join upper echelon of the 2* characters. In the event, some of the many opponent Dakens should get this ability now, just so we can see what he's like.

Now lets compare the Healing and Heat powers. Here's the 3* version, as it is known.
      Healing & Heat - Black Passive
      (PASSIVE) Daken’s healing factor allows him to recover 3% of his health every turn. If there are fewer than 9 Blue tiles, the terrible drug “Heat” kicks in, and he loses 3% of his health instead.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Heals 5% per turn. Level 3: 7 Blue tiles to avoid “Heat”. Level 4: Heals 7% per turn. Level 5: 6 Blue tiles to avoid “Heat”.
      Max Level: Heals ???HP/"Heat" ??? damage

Here's the 2* version.
        (PASSIVE) Daken’s healing factor allows him to recover 3% of his health every turn. If there are fewer than 8 Yellow tiles, the terrible drug “Heat” kicks in, and he loses 3% of his health instead.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 2: Heals 4% per turn. Level 3: 7 Yellow tiles to avoid “Heat”. Level 4: Heals 5% per turn. Level 5: 6 Yellow tiles to avoid “Heat”.
        Max Level: Heals 146HP/"Heat" 88 damage

Notice the difference? The 3* version relies on Blue tiles, while the 2* version relies on Yellow tiles. The 3* has a Blue power which converts blue tiles to green.

The 2* version should maybe convert yellow tiles to green, if he gets a third cover.
      • Ice has announced a slight nerf of Daken.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7084

The 2 strike tiles created by Daken at level 5 of Pheremone Rage are now 90% of the power of the strike tiles created at level 4.

Ex - The old level 69 Daken could produce 2 strength 38 tiles. Now he produces 2 strength 24 tiles.
      • ErikPeter
        ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
        The 3* version relies on Blue tiles, while the 2* version relies on Yellow tiles. The 3* has a Blue power which converts blue tiles to green.

The 2* version should maybe convert yellow tiles to green, if he gets a third cover.

I don't think 2* Daken needs AP/cascade generation. However, without something, post-nerf, I doubt he'll see much use as he is now closer to balanced with level 69 (Bullseye) instead of 85.

I think they could create a new power with the same thematic idea, but make it simple direct damage. A yellow or green "Heat Crash" could remove every strike tile on the board (converting them back to basic tiles) and do damage, either per tile or just a flat 1600 or something. It could be useful in the strike tile meta (if it affects enemy strike tiles too) and give him something to do with his AP, but mostly useful as a moderately damaging finisher (since you're ruining your strike damage). For the cost, Green synergizes better with his powers (and tile damage), Yellow would be better if it needs a decent drawback.
      • Pwuz_
        Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards

I kinda figured that was already part way through the pipeline and this is just a step in that direction. If they add in a 3rd skill, and he levels to 85, couldn't that leveling increase that strike tile strength back to the pre-nerf level?
      • I've noticed that Daken tiles appear before the cascade for players, but after the cascade for the AI, which has sometimes resulted in them getting a strike tile when I could not. If there is no open tile before the cascade, but one drops, the AI gets a tile and I won't (when we both have a Daken).
      • Spoit
        Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
        That's intentional. If there are 2 or less reds and no more drop, you get the strikes and the AI doesn't
      • Bumping thread with a link to the new announcement: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12333

Third skill will be, unsurprisingly:
        Chemical Reaction - Blue 5 AP
        Daken springs a trap, but his addiction to "Heat" threatens to push him over the edge. Damages the target for 100, converts two blue tiles to green, and converts up to 2 friendly Strike tiles to Basic tiles doing 50 damage per strike tile converted.
        Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Increases cleared Strike tile damage to 54.
        Level 3: Increases cleared Strike tile damage to 58.
        Level 4: Converts up to 3 Strike tiles.
        Level 5: Up to 4 friendly Strike tiles converted for 73 damage.
        Max Level: 515 base damage, 373 per strike tile, up to 4.
      • The nerf hammer to any cover that has any WORKING AS INTENDED ability continues to strike. And of course Logan's family receive the most hate as they are the only family that has the privilege of True Healing TM. Here's the NERF.
        ** Daken (Dark Avengers Wolverine) **
        Old
        Pheremone Rage - Purple Passive
        (PASSIVE) Daken releases a scent that sets his enemies on edge, using their anger to his advantage. Whenever anyone makes a Green match, add a Red Strike tile to the board.
        Level Upgrades
        Level 2: +10% Strike tile strength
        Level 3: +10% Strike tile strength
        Level 4: +20% Strike tile strength
        Level 5: Creates 2 Strike tiles at 90% of base strength.
        Max Level: Creates 2 Strike tiles at 28 strength.

New
        Pheremone Rage - Purple Passive
        (PASSIVE) Daken releases a scent that sets his enemies on edge, using their anger to his advantage. Whenever anyone makes a Green match, add a Red Strike tile to the board of strength 5.
        Level Upgrades
        Level 2: 6 Strike tile strength.
        Level 3: 7 Strike tile strength.
        Level 4: 8 Strike tile strength.
        Level 5: 9 Strike tile strength.
        Max Level: 46 Strike tile strength.

Old
        (PASSIVE) Daken’s healing factor allows him to recover 3% of his health every turn. If there are fewer than 8 Yellow tiles, the terrible drug “Heat” kicks in, and he loses 3% of his health instead.
        Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Heals 4% per turn.
        Level 3: 7 Yellow tiles to avoid “Heat”.
        Level 4: Heals 5% per turn.
        Level 5: 6 Yellow tiles to avoid “Heat”.
        Max Level: Heals 196HP/"Heat" 117 damage.

New
        (PASSIVE) Daken’s healing factor allows him to recover 3% of his health every turn. If there are fewer than 9 Blue tiles, the terrible drug “Heat” kicks in, and he loses 3% of his health instead.
        Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Heals 4% per turn.
        Level 3: Heals 5% per turn.
        Level 4: 8 Blue tiles to avoid “Heat”.
        Level 5: 7 Blue tiles to avoid “Heat”.
        Max Level: Heals 196HP/"Heat" 117 damage.

New
        Chemical Reaction - Blue 5 AP
        Daken springs a trap, but his addiction to "Heat" threatens to push him over the edge. Damages the target for 100, converts two blue tiles to green, and converts up to 2 friendly Strike tiles to Basic tiles doing 50 damage per strike tile converted.
        Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Increases cleared Strike tile damage to 54.
        Level 3: Increases cleared Strike tile damage to 58.
        Level 4: Converts up to 3 Strike tiles.
        Level 5: Up to 4 friendly Strike tiles converted for 73 damage.
        Max Level: 515 base damage, 373 per strike tile, up to 4.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12333

Oh wow, the new ability is just so original. Thank you so much D3P!!! icon_e_wink.gif

Thanks to the nerf, I don't have to worry about my 5/5/? as the only viable build is the same as Laken's, 5/5/3. D3P is looking after me in the end to eliminate build variety. icon_e_biggrin.gif
      • Once this rolls out, expect Daken to take over 2* land like his lazy self. I am glad I kept my fully covered Daken.

Also, I am going to assume 5/5/3 for this Daken too? Or 5/4/4?
      • Houtro
        Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
        icon_e_smile.gif Now whos the Lazy character!?
      • Nonce Equitaur 2
        Falcon finally feels safe. Some of the protect tiles have values over a thousand.

pPEhvVB.gif
      • HairyDave
        HairyDave Posts: 1,574
        I got some to 650 thanks to a friendly Muscle letting Loki do his thing but that's pretty impressive icon_e_biggrin.gif
      • I'm ready for Daken to be nerfed, but I certainly don't want 2* Daken to gain any more levels.
      • But those enemy 2* daken's will only generate 1 sword instead of 2. Of course it will suck when he uses his new blue ability at only a cost of 5 - see why Juggs is so annoying
      • LoreNYC wrote:
        But those enemy 2* daken's will only generate 1 sword instead of 2. Of course it will suck when he uses his new blue ability at only a cost of 5 - see why Juggs is so annoying
        Yeah, that's actually a really good point and something that I hadn't considered when I saw those changes. One of the things that actually makes Daken somewhat manageable even at high levels is you can leave him for last, because his regen is a pain, and at least then you don't have to worry about getting nuked anymore. Well that strategy's going to go right out the window. And if he's in there with Juggs? Or Ares? Now you have to deny red/green AND blue to avoid taking fast damage? Yeah. That's going to be just **** great and tons of fun when they're level 250+.

The only upside may be depending on how the healing changes actually turn out it should be much easier to match blue, deny his nuke, choke out his healing, and get him out of matches early.
      • I've been out of touch with MPQ for the last 2 months so I don't have a 3* Punk Daken and Im really not familar with him. But why in the world is it that, of all the characters with 2 abilites, D3 decides that it's 2* Daken who will be the first to get a 3rd ability? It's already pretty bad fending off the never ending strike tiles of a super-scaled Daken (2 or 3 star) in PvE's. I can not stand Daken.
      • jojeda654
        jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
        MikeHock wrote:
        But why in the world is it that, of all the characters with 2 abilites, D3 decides that it's 2* Daken who will be the first to get a 3rd ability?

He's not. Spidey, Hood and Mags were all released with 2 skills. As was OBW, but that was pending an app update.

If you mean more recently, then yeah he's the first in quite a while. But then again, he's the first Gold version based on a 2 skill character. If lazy characters are supposed to help with creating new characters faster, porting the new ability to the old character sounds like a good way to do updates. But that's just me.
      This discussion has been closed.