R199 New Feature: Bonus Shard Forced Timer

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:
    gahcior2 said:
    (in the case of heroic packs) does the timer of both 3* and 4* resets when you get either of those or is It just from the tier you got the bonus shards from ? Also thanks for the update , this is a very nice change.
    The timer is combined for any/all pulls. Past analytics of knowing *what* is pulled after the fact, the game doesn't really differentiate between pull "types", so it'd be difficult to make it know to avoid or weight specific pull types.
    So if a player pulls from an LL and get a bonus 4* shard, your 5* shard bonus will reset? Am I interpreting that correctly? If that’s the case, it will be extremely extremely unlikely to get a bonus 5* shard, as the 4* rate will just be higher. 
    What he is saying is that there is not a 4* and 5* bonus shard timer. There is just a single LT bonus shard timer. Once you get bonus shards of any kind on an LT draw it resets to 0.

So what you wrote is essentially correct/ This is assuming 4* bonus shards happen more often than 5* bonus shards on LT draws. We don't know that for a fact but it's very very probable that it's true.

KGB
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cool, this is a great addition!

It would be cool to have something like this in LTs. I still remember the dark times when I managed to open 50+ LTs in a row without pulling a 5 ... Heart breaking and depressing ...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX said:
    gahcior2 said:
    (in the case of heroic packs) does the timer of both 3* and 4* resets when you get either of those or is It just from the tier you got the bonus shards from ? Also thanks for the update , this is a very nice change.
    The timer is combined for any/all pulls. Past analytics of knowing *what* is pulled after the fact, the game doesn't really differentiate between pull "types", so it'd be difficult to make it know to avoid or weight specific pull types.
    I thought pulls were pre-determined out to effectively infinity? shouldn't it have the information available to it out until the cows come home about whether you're getting a 4* or 5*? Presumably that same table would have historical data available to it as well.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Can anyone tell me If this counter has a time limit? Example: I  do 33 pulls without bonus shards. Probably my next pull will have a bonus. What if I do that pull months later? Will the counter still be in 33? Or does it reset after some time? 
  • Edgeman
    Edgeman Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    IceIX said:
    gahcior2 said:
    Does it mean the chance to have the 3star bonus and 4star bonus are the same? Also, can we have 3star and 4star bonuses from one single pull?
  • grenadier
    grenadier Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2020
    I thought pulls were pre-determined out to effectively infinity? shouldn't it have the information available to it out until the cows come home about whether you're getting a 4* or 5*? Presumably that same table would have historical data available to it as well.

I've heard this idea before, that the game somehow knows what its going to give you before the "roll" happens.  Sounds like **** to me though.  For one thing, the contents of the packs change over time.  For another, it just seems to violate the spirit of "this is random" that the game implies.  Can someone explain a little more about "predetermined" outcomes here?

Good job on the shard timer though.  I too have yet to notice any bonus shards at all, so putting a limit on it, forcing shards to pop at some outer maximum number of pulls seems only fair.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Can anyone tell me If this counter has a time limit? Example: I  do 33 pulls without bonus shards. Probably my next pull will have a bonus. What if I do that pull months later? Will the counter still be in 33? Or does it reset after some time? 
    As with resets on pack changes, there aren't any plans to have a time limit on these counters although it's technically possible.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    grenadier said:

I've heard this idea before, that the game somehow knows what its going to give you before the "roll" happens.  Sounds like **** to me though.  For one thing, the contents of the packs change over time.  For another, it just seems to violate the spirit of "this is random" that the game implies.  Can someone explain a little more about "predetermined" outcomes here?

Good job on the shard timer though.  I too have yet to notice any bonus shards at all, so putting a limit on it, forcing shards to pop at some outer maximum number of pulls seems only fair.
    The way it's said to work is that there is a table someplace with the currently available characters in it, assigned to some value. Allegedly the game has pre-rolled using a psuedo-random generator all your pulls out into forever, and you'll get 4* at Table Position N or 5* at Table Position Y or whatever is appropriate for the store you're pulling from. What specific character that actually shakes out to be is determined by who is in the store at the time of the pull. Any time a new character is slotted in alphabetically based off of Primary Name, the numbers change, but the pull still calls into whatever table location it was always going to call into. So at the very highest level, whether or not a pull is a 5* or not is known, as would be if it's cover color 1, 2, or 3. The way Bonus Heroes worked, and one assumes this new bonus shards feature, people say, is that those truly were random chances every draw rather than being pre-determined.

*edit* looks like @KGB got there first. quick correction though - it's not based off of oldest in the case of the 5*s I'm told, but alphabetical by primary name. so BRB won't get replaced with next oldest, it'll go in alphabetical order. so Today's Beta Ray Bill would get replaced by whoever is alphabetically first after that. So Havok in this case. 

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    They have posted the % in-game, except for iHulk G&M CP store.

Standard:  + ~1% Bonus (3-Star)

Elite:  + ~2% Bonus (3-Star)

Heroics x 1: + ~2% Bonus (3-Star), + ~1% Bonus (4-Star)

Heroics x10: + ~6% Bonus (3-Star), + ~3% Bonus (4-Star)

Heroics x40: + ~5% Bonus (3-Star), + ~4% Bonus (4-Star)

Mighty: + ~3% Bonus (3-Star), + <1% Bonus (4-Star)

Latest: + ~2% Bonus (4-Star), + <1% Bonus (5-Star)

Classic:  + ~2% Bonus (4-Star), + <1% Bonus (5-Star)

Featured 3-Star Token:  + ~1% Bonus (3-Star), + ~1% Bonus (4-Star)

Featured 4-Star Token x 1:  + ~1% Bonus (3-Star), + ~1% Bonus (4-Star)

Featured 4-Star Token x 10:  + ~4% Bonus (3-Star), + ~5% Bonus (4-Star)

Featured 4-Star Token x 40:  + ~4% Bonus (3-Star), + ~5% Bonus (4-Star)

Featured 5-Star Token x 1:  + ~1% Bonus (3-Star), + <1% Bonus (4-Star)

Featured 5-Star Token x 10:  + ~3% Bonus (3-Star), + ~2% Bonus (4-Star)

Featured 5-Star Token x 40:  + ~2% Bonus (3-Star), + ~2% Bonus (4-Star), +~4% Bonus (5-Star)
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is great news, and I'm looking forward to my first bonus shard pull!
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 631 Critical Contributor
    Ok, so I opened 50 Standards just now and got the standard 300 3-star shards. Shouldn't bonus shards have triggered?
  • HoundofShadow
    I wonder how 34 pulls are calculated for Heroic x1? Is it a range of hard coded number, since about was used.

34 pulls = 340 3-star shards and 102 4-star shards.

Has anyone pulled ~34 Heroic x1 to get the bonus shards?
  • axmoss
    axmoss Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Ok, so I opened 50 Standards just now and got the standard 300 3-star shards. Shouldn't bonus shards have triggered?
    Standard Rate is "+ ~1%". 50 standards brings it close to 50%. I think you're gonna need at least 100 pulls to guarantee a bonus trigger.
  • HoundofShadow
    I get where the 34 pulls come from. Simply take 100 and divide by the total % for all rarities. 100 / ~3 gives you 34.

Isn't it too simple?

If that's the case, Heroic 10x almost guarantees a bonus shard within 2 x10 packs.

And 40X guarantees at least 3 bonus shards?

Someone correct me?

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    What would happen with the special legendary stores, would their counter go from release to release or would each one be specific to the particular store?

If it is the latter then it would seem like a good reason to skip them completely unless you were planning to break a hoard on that particular store, so hopefully it is the former instead.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,728 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl said:
    What would happen with the special legendary stores, would their counter go from release to release or would each one be specific to the particular store?

If it is the latter then it would seem like a good reason to skip them completely unless you were planning to break a hoard on that particular store, so hopefully it is the former instead.
    They've said that the counter operates per store/token type.  So yeah, those special Legendary stores would be a skip unless you want those specific characters.  But then that's always the case, right?  I'm pretty sure I've not bothered to pull from a couple.

On the other hand......how quickly you get a some bonus shards (50 is the most likely outcome) might not be the biggest factor in your decision-making about whether to skip a store.  A normal store is always there so if you divert to opening in a special store you'll just get whatever bonus shards trigger a little later.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Anyone knows the % of 5* shards in lattest legends or classic legends. It just says lower than 1%...
  • HoundofShadow
    Their favourite numbers for 5* pull rates are 167 and 250:

1/ 167 pulls = ~0.6%
    1/ 250 pulls = 0.4%

50 bonus 5* shards is equivalent to 17 pulls.

I think setting a range for this +/- 17 pulls might work.
  • bahamut685
    bahamut685 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2020
    I know that this feature "was added to the game" more than a week ago, but was just wondering if we could get an ETA on when it's actually going to be added to the game? More than 75 standard tokens, more than 40 elite, still waiting on fabled "bonus shards" to ever show up. (Also plenty of heroic and LL, but not expecting forced 4*/5* shards to ever actually happen, so was ignoring them/not bothering tracking.)
    *edit: Or was this only implemented for non-Steam? (like numerous features over the years that "oops, only showed up in mobile for X weeks/months before making it to Steam")