Roster Slot Sale

Comments

• killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:

There are those of us that carefully structure our roster slots and don't go overboard with duplicate characters.  I wouldn't want to see my hard work be for nothing by having less thoughtful players being rewarded with a roster slot sale to further encourage their slot hoarding ways.  Wisely structuring your roster is part of the game strategy.

Just say NO to roster slot sale

Troll post is troll-y.

There is literally no downside for players if in-game resources cost less. 

speak for yourself

And it's not cool to label people as a troll just because their opinion differs from yours.  Can people no longer have a discussion without immediately attacking the other side?  Grow up man.

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards

And it's not cool to label people as a troll just because their opinion differs from yours.  Can people no longer have a discussion without immediately attacking the other side?  Grow up man.

This is how politics work in this country.  Why would the internet be any different? ;) 
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rhipf said:

There are those of us that carefully structure our roster slots and don't go overboard with duplicate characters.  I wouldn't want to see my hard work be for nothing by having less thoughtful players being rewarded with a roster slot sale to further encourage their slot hoarding ways.  Wisely structuring your roster is part of the game strategy.

You do realize that a roster slot sale would benefit you as well. You may not need slots for duplicate characters but unless you only have 3 slots and rotate characters in and out of those slots you will eventually need a new slot. I don't see how having a sale on slots diminishes your "hard work" or "wisely structur[ed]" roster.

I don't spend my HP frivolously.  I play until I have no health packs and then take a break.  I don't use a bunch of HP on shields in PVP.  I play for top HP rewards.  I've adapted my game around not wasting HP so that I can have some when I do need a roster slot for new releases.  Why should other people who can't manage their HP properly be rewarded with a bail out? 
    There is no advantage to not having the roster slot sale from a superior player's perspective, which is what you have established that you are in your posts. Everyone's price would be less for roster slots.  It saves you resources, in fact, if you say you are so superior in managing your HP, then you should actually be in a position to take even more advantage of this than most players by buying more roster slots at a discount compared to the less superior players. If you are afraid other players will outspend you and gain an advantage in the game....guess what they are doing so with or without a roster slot sale, so why would you not want a sale that you can benefit from?
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,918 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    ***Mod note: Removed posts for inappropriate comments. Please refrain from throwing labels at such as "troll" or "white knight" as it does nothing to add to the discussion and is simply used as a means to belittle someone else's ideas. 

If you disagree with someone and think it worth your time to engage in a discussion then do so but stick to the issues being discussed. Otherwise, I advise to simply move on to more worthwhile or enjoyable things. Any further derogatory comments will result in the closure of this thread and issuing of a warning. Thank you.
  • killahKlown
    edited February 2020

This is how politics work in this country.  Why would the internet be any different? ;) 
    Ha!  True true
  • killahKlown
    Warbringa said:
    Rhipf said:

You do realize that a roster slot sale would benefit you as well. You may not need slots for duplicate characters but unless you only have 3 slots and rotate characters in and out of those slots you will eventually need a new slot. I don't see how having a sale on slots diminishes your "hard work" or "wisely structur[ed]" roster.

I don't spend my HP frivolously.  I play until I have no health packs and then take a break.  I don't use a bunch of HP on shields in PVP.  I play for top HP rewards.  I've adapted my game around not wasting HP so that I can have some when I do need a roster slot for new releases.  Why should other people who can't manage their HP properly be rewarded with a bail out? 
    There is no advantage to not having the roster slot sale from a superior player's perspective, which is what you have established that you are in your posts. Everyone's price would be less for roster slots.  It saves you resources, in fact, if you say you are so superior in managing your HP, then you should actually be in a position to take even more advantage of this than most players by buying more roster slots at a discount compared to the less superior players. If you are afraid other players will outspend you and gain an advantage in the game....guess what they are doing so with or without a roster slot sale, so why would you not want a sale that you can benefit from?
    I am not a superior player.  You assume too much.  My roster sucks.  I do not place well in pvp or in pve.

I do not spend money on HP.  What I do is manage my rewarded HP intelligently.  Why would I want any kind of sale to happen that would allow my competition who do not manage their resources wisely to benefit in a way that I would not?
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am not a superior player.  You assume too much.  My roster sucks.  I do not place well in pvp or in pve.

I do not spend money on HP.  What I do is manage my rewarded HP intelligently.  Why would I want any kind of sale to happen that would allow my competition who do not manage their resources wisely to benefit in a way that I would not?
    I only read what you are posting, I made no assumptions about your roster.  
  • killahKlown
    Vhailorx said:
    MPQ (and economics) is not a morality play.  sometimes benefiting everyone equally, even those who didn't behave 'correctly,' is actually better for everyone. 

Scolding the spendthrift 'losers' who 'waste' their resources while lording your massive hoard over the plebes is a pointless enterprise.  You gain no effective advantage over other players by being 'smart' with your HP, because your competition will always consist of players who either deploy their resources as well (or better) than you, or just spend enough $ to overcome any efficiency deficit.  You are preening your feathers over something that offers you no benefit.  And you are figuratively cutting of your own nose to spite your imaginary opponents face.
    Why is Losers in quotes?  Nobody called anyone a loser.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a fascinating conversation.  It really is.

Has anbody here not had the option to participate in a roster slot sale before?  If the answer is yes, then you too should be given that option.

If the answer is no, then that was an opportunity granted to you that was not granted to the newer player.  If you chose not to participate, then that was your choice.

I find it illogical not to afford the same choice to others at a different time.  Since there is no in-game mechanic to offer an individual a timed roster slot sale (and nor should there be for exploitative purposes), offering it the the community as a whole is as good as it gets.

One can hoard tokens (and many do.)  One can redeem tokens as they go (as I usually do.)  But while I'm waiting for Prof to vacate Latest, I'm sitting on tokens and CP.  Consequently, my HP supply is critically low.  Even if a sale were to happen today, I'd unlikely be able to participate.  If I could participate, I certainly would as the looming 2k HP per slot tax draws nearer and nearer.

But maybe the next sale around I would/could participate.  Opportunity, choice, and timing.  My play style is no better or no worse than yours and I should be allowed to play this game as I see fit, even if it is suboptimal in some regards (I'm looking at you CL10 discussions).  If you are morally offended by someone saving 20% off fake game currency...  Well...  That seems like something that can easily be gotten over.
  • killahKlown
    OJSP said:
    Well.. I see what you're saying. I have some spare HP too and I haven't bought any roster slots in weeks (or even months?). I have 265 slots and I've been selling my lvl 266 3*s and 370 4*s to roster my new 4*s and 5*s. I only keep some maxed 3*s and 4*s, but I don't particularly have a problem selling them if I already have their duplicates.

The thing is, I would appreciate a roster slot sale too, because that means I'd get to buy more at a cheaper price. In the last sale, I bought 7 at the cheaper price (and I sold some characters too, so I had a few more additional empty slots). I just filled them with MBWs and other 1*s and replaced them with new characters later. You could do the same to benefit from the sale. If others need to buy the HP to take advantage of the sale and do so, then it's good business for the developers too.

If they have a sale now, I can buy at least 10 slots (more if I sell some of my maxed 2*s and 3*s) without spending any money. 
    I appreciate your ability to see it from both sides.  Thank you.
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Rhipf said:

Well, my point is that the nerfed the amount of HP we get in the game recently.  That has lead to some players quitting and it is certainly hurting the newer players on a greater scale.  These players are managing their HP just as you do.  I'd suggest that they be given more roster slots than we were when we started but I'm willing to bet that your response to that would be negative, too. 
  • Chameleon
    Chameleon Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Warbringa said:
    Rhipf said:

"would allow my competition who do not manage their resources wisely to benefit in a way that I would not"
    But.. you *would*.
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker

The reason do we need slot sales is we do play competitively.....not against only with players...but "dilution".

If you dont ride a car...it isnt mean that we should not have the road in the town, right?

p.s. never spend money for the game neither ,now i almost finished rostering all 4s.
    It really pain to passed 3s land
    (took almost 1 year).

So, i totally support to have slot sales to help newer player to get all 3s to get 10hp via ddq .

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    I'm not sure you speak for the entire MPQ community
    What sort of person wouldn't want a roster slot sale? - Mod note: Original comment was removed  for being inflammatory but will let pheregas' comment in response to it stand as it is quite insightful. The original quote has been edited. - fight4thedream
    There is a subset of person who want everyone to work for something the way they did so that everything is on a "fair" playing field.

I could agree, if the person disagreeing couldn't benefit from the deal too. For instance, if it was a roster sale for only new players. 
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    As much as I would like to see a sale, my HP balance is down to 650 (from over 10k a couple of weeks ago). All those offers worked and my smallish stash was spent. Normally would have built it back up fairly quick but I ran out of slots from the last sale and had to purchase 2 more recently too. 
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I am looking forward to the next roster sale, but I do think this is an interesting topic so I wanted to add my 2 cents...
    I completely agree with the idea that if I view my hp management as a competitive advantage and/or skill that sets me apart from my competitors then it totally makes sense for me to be against a roster slot sale.  For those that want to go the economics route...I'll avoid the details and point you to game theory concepts where I am relatively better off vs others even when we collectively are worse off.  This game is a competition, so in this scenario I believe i "win" by not having the sale.
    Coincidentally, I feel one of my edges is my patience to wait for things like roster slot sales and then go all in, so I haven't paid full price on a slot in years.