Who is CL10 PVE Actually For?

Comments

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    Tony_Foot said:
    PiMacleod said:
    I have yet to lose, a fight in SCL 10 PvE, but remember im only progression.  That means....

4 clears of EVERY NODE.  

I thought it was 5? I’m seriously tempted to try next one for BRB shards. Can I do 2 clears each day of everything lazily and make it?
    They said 5, but im not sure if they mean just non-essential nodes or what.

Because im right here... And i can tell you from my own experience, just do 4 clears of EVERY SINGLE NODE, and you got it.

Edit:. With exception of that obligatory loaner node.  I only do that one once.  Maybe i should put it like this...  Clear every node until the timer appears.  There.  That covers it.  :)
  • bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    I did one node with 4* Carol, RG4 and Worthy Cap. It's surprisingly effective when you rack up 100k in strike tiles. 
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Soooo.....has anyone actually beat that challenge node a 5th time? Black Bolt was my 22nd 5* champ as of a few hours ago, and I have meta characters out here getting clapped left and right. On a pick-3 node. Where I’m bringing all 5s. Sure, my highest underneath my boosted PX is a 457 IM46, but I figured I’d at least get more than one enemy down before I get demolished.
    Yes.  I did the full 7 (8 for the 48 hour sub) that would be part of normal progression.

I did end up using boosts on 6+ clear of the challenge nodes.
    Team:
    Okoye L459
    5* Thor L455
    5* Prof X L453

Boosts brought:
    +1 Red & Yellow AP x2
    +1 Team-up (x2) AP x2
    +1 All AP x2

With the boosts it was very doable, without the boosts it felt like a slot machine, very luck based.
  • Jexy
    Jexy Posts: 52 Match Maker
    I only play 4 clears of every node and usually place top 200 at worst but now I'm barely top 600.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    Jexy said:
    I only play 4 clears of every node and usually place top 200 at worst but now I'm barely top 600.
    SCL10 is not a place for the lazy, maybe-I'll-clear a few nodes crowd.

If you are in SCL10 and want placement you'll need to work for it. I suppose that's why the decent rewards extend so far down.

The question is how full brackets will get, it would suck to be one of the last 500 to join if you care at all about placement.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,092 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are people going to be playing up again for SCL10 Honour Amongst Thieves new character release?

Asking for a friend. :*
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,414 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Are people going to be playing up again for SCL10 Honour Amongst Thieves new character release?

Asking for a friend. :*
    Ha!  I am absolutely not.  And I have a champed BRB.  No desire to play the game that much for the rewards.  I'm fine with SCL9 for now.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Soooo.....has anyone actually beat that challenge node a 5th time? Black Bolt was my 22nd 5* champ as of a few hours ago, and I have meta characters out here getting clapped left and right. On a pick-3 node. Where I’m bringing all 5s. Sure, my highest underneath my boosted PX is a 457 IM46, but I figured I’d at least get more than one enemy down before I get demolished.
    I was able to do 7 clears every day with BRB, prof X, and Gladiathor.  Once I used Hawkeye, worthy cap, and 5 star Dr strange when I got low on health packs.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    For me.

Stats:
    Day 1183
    19 5*s champed.
    Can't realistically chase placement because of tiny kitty stupid time slots.

Since I can't chase placement I might as well go to the highest SCL to get the best progression rewards.  I'm not thrilled about the extra time clears took, but it reminds me of what my clears were like with a less developed roster and without all-stars like Strange, Thanos, Gritty, etc.  My hope is that there will be some power ramp up in coming characters that will slow clears down again (and the crazy conspiritist in me thinks this is the first herald of 6*s coming).  But even if there is no power ramp up I'll stay in 10.  Worst case I'll completely through out optimal clears, because as I said the devs won't let me realistically compete for placement anyway.

I'm a little scared to see what SCL 10 looks like when I don't have the 5E champed (my PX was for the first event), but I can't imagine it would be enough for me to go back down to 9.

All of this said, I certainly wouldn't complain if they dialed the difficulty of 10 back some, but given there are players with 550s that probably have no problem with this content, I'm not expecting that to happen.

I have 23 5s champed and I can't see this being designed for people like me (or you). And I also don't play for placement (just a bit more when new 4s are released), just for progression. I just want to be able to get all 5s.

The time requirement is nuts. Matches are way harder, if you make a mistake or have a bad cascade you can easily be wiped (on the second day of this event Mystique god a cascade, got her blue out, another cascade and then killed my champed ProfX and Thanos). And all of this with ProfX champed!!!! When Carnage is featured next, or any other 5 I don't have champed is just going to be impossible (Disclaimer: I don't have a champed Kitty, I guess I will need to play worthyCap + HE)

I think I will get more shards for random 5s (those initial 50 and 75 shards from progression), but not enough to get real progress though (maybe one or two covers AT MOST), but I will get way less CPs, so most probably I will need more time to get to the 250 pulls for latest.

Thing is, I didn't want to sink more time in the game! And even worse, just to get slightly faster progression (assuming reaching max progression). We obviously all have different ambitions with the game, but I want more fun time, not more time sinked! 

I would love scl10 if was harder BUT it would require less completions (same difficulty as the 4th time and 5th time, but just two clears needed to max progression would be much much better).

So, I don't think this is for you or for me. People with 500+ level chars? Yeah, they will enjoy the extra rewards, even though they will probably not enjoy the extra time needed. But we will see, if they add more buffed5s (+100 levels) it might actually improve for players like you and me.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally day 2242 
    non champed 5* BRB and sinister.

i will give advice on the challenge nodes I used Thor Professor and Kitty for the first 2 subs.  I ended up to use one health pack per clear.  Once I got more protect times out Prof took 1 damage per turn and I was able to do full clears and Kitty saved me from goon damage.

for round 3 I was terrified Doom would have a black feeder.  I ran Kitty Ice Professor X.  Kitty has rank 3 Lockheed support putting out protect tiles and buffing them at the start of the fight.  I was able to stun lock Doom with Ice and Prof X yanked and took almost no damage.

i have noticed some CL10 might take a little more thought to than just powering through the event.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been milking the stuns myself; on clear 4 in the final challenge node, I similarly with with Doom/Iceman/Profe$$or X, and once you stun Doom (and keep him there), it wasn't so bad.

Probably worth noting:
    SCL10 release events have full covers down to t200, then there are various shard rewards to the release character all the way down the reward tree.
  • bluewolf
    I've been milking the stuns myself; on clear 4 in the final challenge node, I similarly with with Doom/Iceman/Profe$$or X, and once you stun Doom (and keep him there), it wasn't so bad.

Probably worth noting:
    SCL10 release events have full covers down to t200, then there are various shard rewards to the release character all the way down the reward tree.
    If your goal is covers for the new 4, SCL9 does the same thing (covers to 200) although shards stop at #800.  Which in SCL9 is probably very low effort anyway.

I wish the covers went further down in SCL10, assuming that it will probably be the most competitive SCL in general.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2020
    I've done most nodes with Profx5, 5storm and Iceman5. A healthpack used here and there, but I tend to avoid most damage by having Prof tank, Ice at 5 yellow to jump in front, and 5torm to clear all the yellow countdowns with her green.  Mind you Prof is super boosted and that is making it easier.

Reconsidering SCL10 for the next one, as I don't even have BRB rostered. 

I am 1830+ days in (I missed a month or two - started in October the year this game came out). I have 4 rostered 5* champs (Prof, Storm, Ice, Okoye) and most 4*s champed, with only one above 300. I am what you may consider a relatively casual, but committed played. FTP since they nerfed 4*Wolverine immediately after I managed to fully cover him (yeah, it's been a while)! I think I've spent maybe $30 in total prior to that. 

SCL10 may not be ideal, but it is for players like me. I like the progression boost, and could care less about the placement rewards most of the time. 
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    broll said:
    Yes.  I did the full 7 (8 for the 48 hour sub) that would be part of normal progression.

I did end up using boosts on 6+ clear of the challenge nodes.
    Team:
    Okoye L459
    5* Thor L455
    5* Prof X L453

Boosts brought:
    +1 Red & Yellow AP x2
    +1 Team-up (x2) AP x2
    +1 All AP x2

With the boosts it was very doable, without the boosts it felt like a slot machine, very luck based.
    Sorry I didn't speciffy, I was referring to the Mystique-Magneto-Subject node. Any powers they managed to get off would one-shot my 5-stars, and I couldn't stop everyone. I tried to focus on the goon, eventually I get hit with a Masterstroke by a Mystique being fed black, or a Polarizing Force that immediately takes someone out. I try to focus on one of the movers, and eventually an Unstable Blast manages to get off, also essentially one-shotting someone. I don't have BRB champed so perhaps I just wasn't trying to right team, but I certainly tried every meta character I had. 

Doom + 2 Goons on the last day was much easier to manage with Strange/Okoye/PX, but I'm concerned about dealing with having more tile-movers than goons. 
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    CL 10 is exactly what I want from the game.
    With a mature roster I am presented battles which require thought about team composition.
    CL 9 is just Thano5 kill over and over and over. Super boring.
    Whatever you have to say about CL 10 it isn’t boring match after boring match. 
    It also brings back the “puzzle” in Puzzle Quest. It favors the players who know how to use something besides the caveman’s club of Thano5. I am presented with battles where the wrong choices are punished and the right ones rewarded.
    And they are rewarded these are the best rewards ever offered. Let me repeat ever. I should have to work harder for them. 
    As for the time factor I am playing twice as long for about the same increase in rewards. I am totally fine with that ratio. 
    I give the devs a standing ovation for the implementation of CL 10. 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    Jexy said:
    SCL10 is not a place for the lazy, maybe-I'll-clear a few nodes crowd.

If you are in SCL10 and want placement you'll need to work for it. I suppose that's why the decent rewards extend so far down.

The question is how full brackets will get, it would suck to be one of the last 500 to join if you care at all about placement.
    I think it's also crowded because it's the first time they are running SCL10, and lots of people are trying it. Part of the crowd might drop back down again after this.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sticking it out. It's painful, but oh well. 

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    I am going to try it on Honor Among Thieves @ 10, knowing full well I won't mess with the highest node clearances and just go for progression.  

My challenge node team (no Gritty or WorthyHawk team here) was Thorkoye & Infinity Cap.  I did have to change it up for the final God Doom node to Okoye/Strange/XFDP.  With God Doom's healing it was so hard to keep ahead of it with Okoye matching yellow and black a lot, I needed XFDP & Strange to really bring his health down fast enough.  All predicated on getting enough team ups for Okoye of course. I only did four clears though to clarify on the final day of MR&Gt, since I reached progression, I am not going to bother with the rest of them!
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    It was a slog, but I didn't think it was particularly "difficult." The enemies were just fatter, took more time and could one to two hit me by round 5. I pretty much ran Thorkoye + Featured 5, as I did in CL9. No special strategy. Same brain dead tools brute forcing the same challenges.
    For reference, my Thor isn't even champed and both ProfX and Okoye are sub 560 baby champs.
  • bluewolf
    Taganov said:
    It was a slog, but I didn't think it was particularly "difficult." The enemies were just fatter, took more time and could one to two hit me by round 5. I pretty much ran Thorkoye + Featured 5, as I did in CL9. No special strategy. Same brain dead tools brute forcing the same challenges.
    For reference, my Thor isn't even champed and both ProfX and Okoye are sub 560 baby champs.
    I don't think this is 100% true on the challenge nodes, but my issue has always been the same as yours, that scaled up enemies are just forcing me to do the same thing longer much of the time.

Challenge nodes have been trickier since the margin of error is so small.