Who is CL10 PVE Actually For?

pheregas
pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
I am 100% curious and serious about this question.  We've clamored for new game nodes, for rewards updates, for rewards increases.  CL10 has been "coming soon" for so long it had become a joke.

That being said, I've been playing this game every single day since almost the beginning.  I'm 2,170 days in.  There are definitely people that have been here longer, but probably not a ton.

I spent money in the early days, used to have VIP for quite a while, have purchased multiple bundles.  In hindsight, I'm ashamed to have taken part in buy clubs.  I've dropped off spending to pretty much nothing in the last couple years because well, "I gave at the office" in the first few years and the lack of current spending had more to do with a silent protest of the way that the game has been handled the last couple years.

That's a pretty long preamble to setup the title...  Who is CL10 PVE Actually for?

I have several max champ 4s, have a fully functioning 3* farm with every 3 max champed, have every single 4* champed (except Northstar, but he's at 10 covers now so why bother getting him higher for now) and all but five 5*s champed (two of which are Sinister at 3 covers and Carnage at 5/2/2 with 4 saved covers).

And I still can't finish CL10 without wiping on the Challenge node 4 times during final grind.  I have yet to finish all 7 wins per node during either sub this inaugural PVE.

I will be dropping back down next PVE, most likely to the dismay of players with less developed rosters than me.  I could care less about reduced rewards.  It doesn't matter what CL you play, they've cut the rewards, so what's cutting back a little more?  After 6 years of grinding, I want to grind less, not more.  I don't want to play 2+ hours every day.  I JUST WANTED BETTER ACCESS TO A HIGHLY DILUTED SUPPLY OF 4S and 5S!  

Apologies.  This got a little ranty.  I'll get off my soapbox.  And maybe I'll find a different game to waste my time with.  

Comments

• steakleather
    steakleather Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    It's for me! Day 2189, VIP since the beginning, 21 champed 5*s. I love it. I do want to play 2 hours or more everyday.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Im only 1670 days, i have 5 championed 5 stars and I've handled the event okay. Just takes a little bit longer. 

I dont play for placement only for progression 

I can only imagine how annoying some PVE events will be at CL10 though
  • pheregas
    It's for me! Day 2189, VIP since the beginning, 21 champed 5*s. I love it. I do want to play 2 hours or more everyday.
    More power to you then, my friend. 

Maybe if PVE wasn't timer based, I'd feel much differently.
  • pheregas
    Im only 1670 days, i have 5 championed 5 stars and I've handled the event okay. Just takes a little bit longer. 

And maybe there in lies the rub.  I've been playing for placement and competitively for so long that when CL10 dropped, I figured it was going to continue to be like that.  Maybe mitigating my expectations would have helped.

Then again, making the Challenge node a one-time non-repeatable fight (as initially advertised), may have left me with more realistic expectations as well.  If I would have known ahead of time about that mess, I may not even have gone CL10 at all.  It still doesn't answer who this is for, though, except maybe those that have lots of free time or those that don't care about placement.  (Not hating, just summarizing above responses).
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    I'm not 100% sure it's "for" me, but i'm planning to play it. I'm progression-only, so it's not time-critical at all, aside from needing to clear it 4x in 24 hours. I wish PVE worked like Prologue, where you just progress through the events and then advance to the next one when you get there rather than the whole game economy being on a timer. And if we're doing that, just have it be 1x clear. I really liked those Boss Nodes in Support Circuit, it would have been great if the challenging node were more like that.
  • steakleather
    steakleather Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    pheregas said:

And maybe there in lies the rub.  I've been playing for placement and competitively for so long that when CL10 dropped, I figured it was going to continue to be like that.  Maybe mitigating my expectations would have helped.

Then again, making the Challenge node a one-time non-repeatable fight (as initially advertised), may have left me with more realistic expectations as well.  If I would have known ahead of time about that mess, I may not even have gone CL10 at all.  It still doesn't answer who this is for, though, except maybe those that have lots of free time or those that don't care about placement.  (Not hating, just summarizing above responses).
    Oh yes, I absolutely only play for progression. Who needs the stress of a timing-based placement system in their lives? I started enjoying the game much more when I had that realization. 

Play your way. Do what's fun for you.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    For me.

Stats:
    Day 1183
    19 5*s champed.
    Can't realistically chase placement because of tiny kitty stupid time slots.

Since I can't chase placement I might as well go to the highest SCL to get the best progression rewards.  I'm not thrilled about the extra time clears took, but it reminds me of what my clears were like with a less developed roster and without all-stars like Strange, Thanos, Gritty, etc.  My hope is that there will be some power ramp up in coming characters that will slow clears down again (and the crazy conspiritist in me thinks this is the first herald of 6*s coming).  But even if there is no power ramp up I'll stay in 10.  Worst case I'll completely through out optimal clears, because as I said the devs won't let me realistically compete for placement anyway.

I'm a little scared to see what SCL 10 looks like when I don't have the 5E champed (my PX was for the first event), but I can't imagine it would be enough for me to go back down to 9.

All of this said, I certainly wouldn't complain if they dialed the difficulty of 10 back some, but given there are players with 550s that probably have no problem with this content, I'm not expecting that to happen.

• Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Conditionally for me as well. Depends on the shards on offer and who I have rostered for the challenge. I don't care about placement, really. T100 is achievable enough.
  • BagPuss
    BagPuss Posts: 73 Match Maker
    I'm not 100% sure it's "for" me, but i'm planning to play it. I'm progression-only, so it's not time-critical at all, aside from needing to clear it 4x in 24 hours. I wish PVE worked like Prologue, where you just progress through the events and then advance to the next one when you get there rather than the whole game economy being on a timer. And if we're doing that, just have it be 1x clear. I really liked those Boss Nodes in Support Circuit, it would have been great if the challenging node were more like that.
    Worked like prologue so you play at your own pace, nodes can be challenging, restrictive even but as you only hit one that's okay.

Why hello the mythical Guantlet event (original not the watered down version of the last two runs) !

It had all of those and felt like something rewarding as you would have to change team. Some people complained because of the difficulty, the community works them suggest other combinations to try. Being locked out of a node becuase you didn't have the right character was a problem but they could have offered alternate paths so you can progress, but only full rewards if you do anything.

Why don't we have this now? 
    Player engagement dropped as you could take your time / difficulty.

- Engagement = more play time. 
    - More playtime is better metrics for game
    - more importantly more chances for the player to buy things. You can't feed pokemon, loot boxe addiction with the odd dabble of desperate buys if you have enough time to think about things.

Back to here. 
    Cl10 applies to the mid game people, there is some feel of progression. Time is not the issue as people have mentioned. If more puerile quit Cl10 then even better. 

The vets will take it until it's too much. 
    The mega whales don't like it, but hey 550s make it less painful. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I thought they said:

The Shard updates to Comic Packs have paved the way for an update that brings a newer, more difficult mode for players that are itching for harder fights and better rewards. 
     :D 
  • bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    I'm day 1586. 34 5* champs (5 classics and Sinister remain)..14 maxed 4s..

But outside of Okoye at 502, 460-470 the majority of those 5s.

PX was a great lure to CL10 but without his added match4 damage and especially that red 70k nuke, CL10 is going to feel like a serious drag.

I think we'll find outside of 530+ BRBs that the next event will be nearer 45mins each side of a slice and that may be a death knell for a lot of people. 
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Soooo.....has anyone actually beat that challenge node a 5th time? Black Bolt was my 22nd 5* champ as of a few hours ago, and I have meta characters out here getting clapped left and right. On a pick-3 node. Where I’m bringing all 5s. Sure, my highest underneath my boosted PX is a 457 IM46, but I figured I’d at least get more than one enemy down before I get demolished.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    Soooo.....has anyone actually beat that challenge node a 5th time? Black Bolt was my 22nd 5* champ as of a few hours ago, and I have meta characters out here getting clapped left and right. On a pick-3 node. Where I’m bringing all 5s. Sure, my highest underneath my boosted PX is a 457 IM46, but I figured I’d at least get more than one enemy down before I get demolished.
    After bombing with Thorkoye and my Prof (just bad luck, I think) I got a bit creative as I was out of health packs.

I used Prof Iceman and Storm (I think that worked once).

Once I used Gritty and Doom, the healing works better than you think.  If you have him.

I went the long route one clear and did Worthy/HE/JJ.

(this is against the Cmag/Mystique/doombot node.)

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have yet to lose, a fight in SCL 10 PvE, but remember im only progression.  That means....

4 clears of EVERY NODE.  

And my roster isnt this badass thing like @broll's sounds like...

I dont need to say how long ive been in the game for.  Most of you know it, and if not, you can check the daily resupply FAQ.  ;). I honestly dont bother remembering it exactly...its around 2300 or something.

I dont spend more than the $2 a month to keep the active bonuses going.

And yet, 8 5* champs now, all 460 and lower.  And killed SCL 10.

Its all thanks to Professor Gritty, obviously, and abusing the Jubilee version of his purple.

I said this in another topic... We'll see what its like when someone like Wasp or Banner or Doc Ock is the 5E.  But for now, i got this.  And i would think plenty of you might have this down as well.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hell, I asked this question about CL9.

I gave it a try once or twice when a really powerful 5* was boosted, but I still found it a massive chore, a tedious grind and thoroughly unrewarding compared to 7 or 8. So I just never bothered.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited February 2020
    Playing smart with X can take you a long way, boosted or not. It’s easy to forget the color you choose with his Purple adds a few of that color to the board in addition to the immediate effect. I’ll often pick yellow just to help Okoye pick up a little extra, or I’ll pick the most prevalent color on the board and set up some cascades. He is for sure very top tier offensively, and I think if you have him champed he will show up for you regardless in SCL10. I actually really like him with Nightcrawler/Okoye in PVE, that’s a great chaos team.
  • DirionScrab
    DirionScrab Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    It is also for anyone past Cl 120  with a reasonable roster  and little time for PvE who can clear the trivial nodes to reach 2 4 star covers they need  for little effort ignoring the rest.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    I have yet to lose, a fight in SCL 10 PvE, but remember im only progression.  That means....

4 clears of EVERY NODE.  

I thought it was 5? I’m seriously tempted to try next one for BRB shards. Can I do 2 clears each day of everything lazily and make it?
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    The hottest thing in these SCL 10 PvEs is in my opinion the 250 shards you can earn for the featured 5-star just by progression. But if this new SCL was made so difficult that it only aimed at the top players with level 550 5-stars why should they care about it? The can't make a level 551 ProfX out of it. For players like me with only 6 5-stars champed and the newest characters like BRB and Carnage at very low levels and only 4 covers each I will have a very hard time to gain that 1/2 cover. And when they end up with 5 or 6 covers after leaving latest that's not a big deal either. When someone rotates to Classics you will probably not see him again in over a year. Which is also a problem for all current classic 5-stars. For example my OML is at 11 covers. He could be featured in August 2020 for the the first 1/2 cover and again in october 2021 for tve second 1/2 cover. Will we even play this game 21 months? 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Just like lower SCLs are 5 not counting the 5e node, but 4 if you do count the 5e node, SCL10 is only 4x clears of everything if you include the challenge node (and the 5e node). You only have to do those required team up starter nodes with a yellow circle 1x in either case. I can confirm this in SCL10, just did it myself.