Festival of fights top picks

Options

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,710 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Omegased said:

Man the negativity on this board is out of control. Why do you even play the game?!?

This is the most unique and most interesting PvP event they've run that I can remember. It's really challenging and forcing us to look at characters we wouldn't normally play with, and we decide we hate it, then complain about the PvP meta. It does my head in.

I play the game because I enjoy it. pvp I play for the rewards I have to get to progress my roster. Increase the pve rewards and I would happily not play pvp again. Unless they removed the names and made it a proper pvp experience.

And you have decided to presume I’m someone complaining about the meta, I’m not I’m happy for it to stay as it is for the next 10 years, where I use no health packs, can speed through the worst bit of the game with Thor okoye and use bishop as a higher floating point to make my final run shorter.

The events this season have been garbage and should have been left as off season events. As such my engagement is down.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As a 4* player my original go to’s were juggernaut or rogue, which was, for the most part, going really well. 

However, I’ve just made the switch to mysterio. You don’t get the stun, but the invisibility and the trap matches are life savers. I’ve been taking down 5*s with him, although you do have to avoid opponents with team damage.

He is remarkably efficient 
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Gladiathor. He is made for this event. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jessica Jones is made for this but I have also used Riri to good effect, she has won a few with barely getting hit. I think I made it to 575 in record time and will be playing more later. Fun stuff.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I appreciate the work that the devs are doing to try to make PVP different or interesting.  PVP has long been the less-played mode for a variety of reasons. The current meta is one of them (especially Bishop and Worthy being annoying to play).

I am curious to see if they have any plan to break up the meta with nerfs or rebalances.  Some newer characters have shaken things up - not always in a good way, at least I don't enjoy them.  But locking people out is a way around the bad feelings a nerf brings with it while changing things up on a short term basis.

It basically comes down to the devs using the old concept of Heroics and applying it to PVP but in some more novel ways (not just the weekly buffed list).  The problem IMO is that the game has 201 characters and newer people have a much, much more difficult time building a broad roster due to dilution and the lack of increase in roster-building resources.  Shards and Targeted Heroes and the rollout so far makes me think that the devs are leaning into making it easier to build specific people since to try to keep up with dilution and making broad development easier would mean pouring a lot more rewards into the game.

The way this event was built is interesting and might not have been for the best.  Making no TU tiles appear (other than powers creating them) means cascades are more likely, which often feels worse to players - especially when you have one character/shot at winning.

It is also interesting in these different PVPs where a meta is quickly zeroed in on but that's the nature of the game.  We always look for the best option (generally fastest) and that becomes what everyone with that option uses.

IMO in this one it's pretty clear that Professor and Doom are the best to use in 5 land, but if you find some other people out you can try out a few others.  I even used CM a couple times because of her airborne ability.

All that said I'm not a giant fan of this 1v1 PVP because the game is designed around teams, and many characters have specific abilities designed around allies.  Hopefully they keep trying different things.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't understand the argument that this event is somehow more interesting and "making you think". How? One or two bad cascades can lose a fight on turn 1. A bad board can lose a fight. It's a one step race.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    I don't understand the argument that this event is somehow more interesting and "making you think". How? One or two bad cascades can lose a fight on turn 1. A bad board can lose a fight. It's a one step race.
    Those comments are 100% about team selection.  This event has a different meta, which is refreshing.  But it also has some weakenesses (e.g., the stuff you mention) that are currently being overlooked.
  • WiDoW0042
    WiDoW0042 Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I’m happy to get to use Loki again.  If you get the purples quick enough, his blacks are hard to avoid and then it’s nuke after nuke after nuke.  I’ve beaten several champed Dooms and PX’s with him.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Borstock said:
    Those comments are 100% about team selection.  This event has a different meta, which is refreshing.  But it also has some weakenesses (e.g., the stuff you mention) that are currently being overlooked.
    I mean, is luck a meta? I can bring anybody I want, if Prof X drops a cascade with multiple 4/5-tile matches, I'm dead.

The way I see it, with only one character in the game, the RNG shenanigans this game throws at you is only magnified, making team selection even less relevant.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Hulkbuster has been trucking other 4* this event. He's an absolute noggin-slapper in a 1v1.

Huge strikes. Servicable Protects. Huge Nuke (for his tier). 
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm with Borstock. I think I'd be way more into this event if team up tiles were present on the board even if you couldn't use them for team-up powers. Losing by "random" cascade isn't introducing new strategies, it's reminding me how frustrating it feels to die from "bad luck."
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GED has been the runaway hit for me. I made it to 1200 unshielded, and I’m currently floating at 830+ pts occasionally having defense wins.

Okoye CAN add TU to the board, but you need to multi fire yellow if you hope to actually collect any of it and use it.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I kind of like this pvp even though it has flaws but it is refreshing, just like the 2v2 pvp event.
    Some of the characters that are good for this event are Mockingbird, America, Ghost, 4*Juggernaut, Riri, Moonknight and if you are in 3 star land, Vision
    Those characters that does direct damage to target, need to tanked, created tiles on the board, take advantage on match-4 really shine here.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,007 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am loving this event and the new family pvp event.  It is awesome with no stuns this event and bishop being locked out of the family event not seeing him on 99.9% of teams and in the family event I actually was able to dust off my old man logan with success.

This event I have been using gladiator thor and I'm already at 900 points with 2 days left.  I may actually climb to 1200 points for the first time ever this event.  It's great being able to use my 5 stars and not worry about "OVERCLOCKED!" your team is now perma stunned.
  • jneidus
    jneidus Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Options
    Borstock said:

I mean, is luck a meta? I can bring anybody I want, if Prof X drops a cascade with multiple 4/5-tile matches, I'm dead. 
    I don't know if luck is a meta, but it is a superpower, depending on who you ask. Domino should really dominate this event.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am loving this event and the new family pvp event.  It is awesome with no stuns this event and bishop being locked out of the family event not seeing him on 99.9% of teams and in the family event I actually was able to dust off my old man logan with success.

This event I have been using gladiator thor and I'm already at 900 points with 2 days left.  I may actually climb to 1200 points for the first time ever this event.  It's great being able to use my 5 stars and not worry about "OVERCLOCKED!" your team is now perma stunned.
    So what you are really loving so far is the elimination of Bishop from PVP.

I mean I like these different events as well, some more than others.  I encourage experimentation over the same old 3* PVP we've seen for the last 5 years or so.

But would unabashedly love a big ol' Bishop nerf so we didn't see him everywhere, especially as you get higher scores and everyone is using him as a free shield/to take less hits.  And I realize that a Bishop nerf is great for 5 players, much less so for 4 players.  It's a tough needle to thread.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,007 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bluewolf said:

So what you are really loving so far is the elimination of Bishop from PVP.

I mean I like these different events as well, some more than others.  I encourage experimentation over the same old 3* PVP we've seen for the last 5 years or so.

But would unabashedly love a big ol' Bishop nerf so we didn't see him everywhere, especially as you get higher scores and everyone is using him as a free shield/to take less hits.  And I realize that a Bishop nerf is great for 5 players, much less so for 4 players.  It's a tough needle to thread.
    I love being able to use my full roster, but I am only able to do that because of the elimination of bishop.  So yes and no.  When bishop is around I have to be incredibly careful in playing against him and really the only team I can use to beat him somewhat reliably is 5 star hawkeye and hammer cap.  Which is a team that is not very fun to play.  I would much rather use 2 of my best champed 5 stars than a not very great 5 star and a 4 star that just happens to make that 5 star infinitely better.

I'd much rather just use my strongest 5 stars and smash but instead I am left intentionally making the weakest matches possible until the enemy team has triggered hammer cap enough to give me enough blue to stun bishop and then cheese the other team to death with hammercap's passive.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    i'm surprised no one has mentioned IM40. No stuns = instant access to his mega AP gen.  I've also tried C4rol, Peggy, Hulkbuster, RiRi, and even Vulture. Everyone is fine; seems like almost any human should be able to beat the computer 1on1 (barring cascades).