Options
124»

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bonus Heroes
    I don’t know about “hands down”.

I tracked my last 778 pulls from Latests/Classics (excluding pop up stores but I know I’ve gotten BH there too). Under this new system I’d have gotten 2,334 shards or 4.67 covers. 

How many BH did I actually get? 12. That’s almost 3x as much. Now I know this is incredibly lucky, but my overall 5* pull rates have been below the expected rates. BH were a nice “balance” to that. Now... it’s just more grinding out for what amounts to yet more progression-based awards. Yay?

I will agree that there are pros and cons to both but I think the overwhelming majority preferring the old method in this poll to the new is due to the fact that while the developers gave us something we asked for (colorless covers), they took away something we didn’t ask them to and in the process created a whole new set of problems. Lower odds, a grindier game, more micromanaging that somehow results in less flexibility 90% of the time (that 10% more flex is with the dreaded 5/5/X 5* build), opening tokens taking twice as long, increased dilution (instead of getting 1 of 90 4* characters you can get pieces of 1 of 90 characters!).

I think the whole thing was poorly thought out. BUT they can now monetize BH and indirectly sell 5*s directly (figure that one out lol), so there’s that. 
  • Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Why not both?
    GJormagund said:
    You honestly have to look at it from a scientific point of view
    in a world without luck and standard deviation, bonus heroes would mean one every 280 pulls (15% chance for 5*= 1 every 7 pulls, 2.5% for bonus heroes on every 5* pull= 1 every 40 5*, 7x40=280), with shards, 280x3=840, means 1.66 covers for 280 pulls

I believe your initial assumption is wrong.  Say you pulled 140 classics/latest under the old rules.  At odds of 1 in 20 you would expect 7 bonus heroes.  Therefore 1 of the 7 assuming an even distribution should be a 5 star.
    Under your model you pull 280 times and expect 14 BH with 1 in 14 being 5 star and 13 in 14 being 4 star.  Clearly at 1 in 7 chance of a 5 star and 6 in 7 chance of a 4 star you'd expect the 14BHs from 280 pulls to give you two 5 stars and 12 4 stars.
    I don't know where you got the 2.5% or 1 in 40 odds from?

This gives approx one 5 star in 140 pulls under the old system and 1 in 166.66... under the new system.  This makes much more sense than a jump from 1 in 280 down to 1 in 166.  We'd probably all be embracing shards unreservedly if that was the case!
    I’m pretty sure the odds for a 5* bonus hero was 1:40 in all stores

also im only referring too 5*, since that are the ones people wail the most about
    It was 1 in 20 for every pull.  5 stars were 15% of pulls.  That boils down to about 1 in every 133 pulls for a 5 star bonus hero, assuming RNG was good to you.  It's now about 167 pulls for a 5 from shards.  
    While it "feels" bad to need the extra 34 pulls, this ends up being an extra 5 star cover every 670 pulls on average.  If your BH rates were low, it evens out or shards are better.  If your rates were high, maybe you lose more than 1 in 670.  But factor in an unusable color and shards win hands down. 
    You really sure with 1 in 20? Wow, then my memory is super wrong, then of course BH were much better (in a world without luck and deviation), still I stay with the statement that people can’t complain anymore about randomness of drops being rigged
    Thats the thing with luck, absolutely unpredictable, I mean normal lottery has a chance of 1 in 63.000.000 and still every once and then some luck dude wins the jackpot
  • BuzzedLightbeer
    BuzzedLightbeer Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I see no reason why we can't get a sparkly Bonus Shards! with smashing sound effect.
    This is not a bad idea in my mind at all, actually.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bonus Heroes
    Bonus Heroes

Blue is my favorite color
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bonus Heroes
    Shards just feel slow.... It also donest help that there is only a few ways to earn them right now.

I feel like it would have been more well received if they hit the ground running and put shards everywhere.

Placement rewards ( PVP/PVE), Shards for vault pulls, adding shards to deadpool token pulls etc.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm actually up on covers since the change went live spending as I go. It "felt" like it was going to be a huge step back looking at the numbers, but the reality so far appears to be that the regular earnings (at least when opening as you go) make for a very predictable growth pattern. Since shards went live, I've been earning a much higher than previous pulls-per-day rate of 3.23 than my usual 2.5, I guess I was on a streak of good rewards. Also the incidental shards from event tokens and heroics seem to be adding up some. I'm basically getting a 4* cover every week like this.

So I've pulled down 126 5* shards (123 went to Okoye, but 3 accidentally went to lumbercap due to a mis-click) and 835 4* shards (all went to Chavez as planned), and 2,574 3* shards (Most to Spid3r-Man, i briefly switched to Dar3devil to backfill a max-champ i sold, and then landed one out of a vault and now have 79 "wasted" shards sitting on him). 

I still feel like the 5* rate is glacially slow, even though it's more predictable now. I'm trajecting at 1 every 56 days, assuming they don't come up for shard deals along the way. Those shard deals effectively knock 2 days/parcel off of my wait time on a 5*. I could see that being worth it for certain characters if I had the HP to do it.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Shards
    I went with Shards mostly based on a realization that I only had today.  My numbers aren't precise yet, but they should be close enough.  

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the resource store and saw Prowler Shards being offered at a pace of 20 for 115 HP.  Sure why not, I bought 20, then I had a chance to buy another 20 shards at like 125 or somewhere around there.  By the time I had bought my fifth set of 20, the price was 185 for the next set.  All told, I spent somewhere around 700 HP for 100 Prowler shards.  

Well lo and behold, Prowler is back in my store today, so I spent another 700(ish) HP to get Prowler up to 200 shards.

Long story short, when I hit the fourth round of Prowler in the hero store, I'll have spent around 2800 HP for a specific 4* cover.  

Sign me up!

• IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Why not both?
    It really should have always been both. Bonus heroes to provide sudden bursts of progress, Shards to serve as "XP" to the next level.

Even if they reduced the rate at which both were accrued, I think we'd feel better about the two systems together than either one meaning the exclusion of the other.
  • Sleepy72
    Sleepy72 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Or could have changed bonus heroes to a cover of your choice instead of a random one. And why annoy people having to open shards after every damn token. Just have a pop up when ever enough shards have been reached for a cover.