New PVE: Why are the Devs so cruel to us?!

Comments

• Friarbundy
    Friarbundy Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    The main problem with the Kaecilius node is the complete and total lack of imagination it represents.  He's already got a PVE event.  The only positive about map one is that there are no Dark Avenger, but I fully expect Norm and the gang to show up during the event.  Why?  Complete and total lack of imagination.
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    The main problem with the Kaecilius node is the complete and total lack of imagination it represents.  He's already got a PVE event.  The only positive about map one is that there are no Dark Avenger, but I fully expect Norm and the gang to show up during the event.  Why?  Complete and total lack of imagination.
    God help me if we get Sentries...
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    What would you suggest as an alternative?

Because new characters for PVE events cost money, and what I see is a clever way to re-use assets (nothing new created for the first sub event, and it "revisits" one of the most popular Story events, building upon the light story arcs unique to MPQ) while avoiding things players don't like (Mindless Ones are at a minimum, no Join Forces node, no Dark Avengers, and they stripped out the Sentries present in the original story) AND doing some things we've been asking for (both the Avengers teams and the Kaecilius fight make this sub a tiny bit more unique to break up the monotony of all the other sub events out there).

Oh, and this is our... third new PVE event this year? and we spent years clamoring for more of them? and none are Dark Avengers focused? I see all sorts of success there.

I mean, I get it. I wish we could snap our fingers and magically drop in Sentinels and Hydra and maybe a group like the Masters of Evil or something more far out there (Skrulls? Kree? Chitauri? the Brood?), or new goons for existing groups (you could add a new ninja or Maggia or two, maybe some lieutenants like Gorgon/Hood, spice up what we already have). But that stuff costs more money and development time than what they're giving us, AND it doesn't result in a direct return to the game (unless they start requiring paid access to events, which I believe people shouted down the one time it was mentioned as an option).

The reality is that imagination is what's allowing us to get three new events in one year without any of them being "another Dark Avengers event."
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    What would you suggest as an alternative?

Because new characters for PVE events cost money, and what I see is a clever way to re-use assets (nothing new created for the first sub event, and it "revisits" one of the most popular Story events, building upon the light story arcs unique to MPQ) while avoiding things players don't like (Mindless Ones are at a minimum, no Join Forces node, no Dark Avengers, and they stripped out the Sentries present in the original story) AND doing some things we've been asking for (both the Avengers teams and the Kaecilius fight make this sub a tiny bit more unique to break up the monotony of all the other sub events out there).

Oh, and this is our... third new PVE event this year? and we spent years clamoring for more of them? and none are Dark Avengers focused? I see all sorts of success there.

I mean, I get it. I wish we could snap our fingers and magically drop in Sentinels and Hydra and maybe a group like the Masters of Evil or something more far out there (Skrulls? Kree? Chitauri? the Brood?), or new goons for existing groups (you could add a new ninja or Maggia or two, maybe some lieutenants like Gorgon/Hood, spice up what we already have). But that stuff costs more money and development time than what they're giving us, AND it doesn't result in a direct return to the game (unless they start requiring paid access to events, which I believe people shouted down the one time it was mentioned as an option).

The reality is that imagination is what's allowing us to get three new events in one year without any of them being "another Dark Avengers event."
    And I believe there’s a bigger context here that you’re missing. People had high hopes that the lack of communication, updates and development (pushing out new characters aside) meant they were saving “the good stuff” for anniversary. Maybe they’d fix the broken characters (Bish/Cap), roll out an updated support circuit, buff Hulk and Wasp, give us a couple feeders, SCL10, an answer to dilution, awesome “can’t miss” vaults and deals, something... Anything. 

What we got was a fresh coat of paint for Devil Dino/Medusa (if you pay for it), a fresh coat of paint on the load screen, a fresh coat of paint for Shield Sim, and a fresh coat of paint for 12 days of Xmas. Oh and zero communication. 

There are obviously a lot of players disgruntled with anniversary, the devs, and the state of the game. Some people were hoping that with the lack of communication and overall disappoint everywhere else in anniversary, that maybe we would be getting a run 1 “places of power” type PVE where it’d be raining rewards and give that special anniversary feel to sort of “turn it around”. I haven’t joined the new PVE yet, and am ultimately fine with them “shuffling the deck”. It’s all the same grind to me. Another fresh coat of paint? Whatever. 

My issue is that you talk about the time, money and development it takes to create a PVE from scratch? Fair enough. But when ALL we get is fresh coats of paint during anniversary it makes me wonder where all those resources (development time, money, etc.) are being put. That’s my big issue. In a bigger context it kind of sucks to get paint and nothing else (like seriously, even the bundles are stingier despite dilution being worse). Happy anniversary MPQ!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does Spidey 2099's blue ability increase the damage (75%) dealt to Kae when enemy strike tiles are being matched?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    supergarv said:
    Sabertooth is great against him, plus tons of other 4*. 
    Does Sabretooths board destroy actually hurt K when a strike tile is removed that way? Or is his utility only possible board shake? Sure, if board shake counts there are many 4's.

I tested.  Sabretooth is useless in this fight.  Stick with some combination of Elektra, Coulson, Patch, Quicksilver.
    He worked pretty well for me in SCL9.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    I used 3* Wolverine, Domino and Sabretooth. It works well for me. Lots of black tiles to feed Sabretooth. 

Spidey 2099 helps to increase the damage that Kae takes by 75% too. So, he's not useless.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't realize that Kaecilius wasn't a one and done node until hours later...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I generally run Kraven/Elektr4/board shaker (main event can be fun) on Kaecilius fights. Kraven keeps the strikes in check, so you can take as long as you care to to find them.

I've not tried it yet, but at the 5* Tier, Fi5k is the only one I know who can hand over strikes to the enemy on demand. Certainly not as effective as Elektra/Patch/Sabretooth/Prowler for that though. As an aside, Prowler does do the strike damage and steal the strike, even though it isn't really doing much for you. My Kraven/Prowler/Main Event team got it done
  • Friarbundy
    edited October 2019
    JHawkInc said:

If I could snap my fingers and wish for something, it would probably be money.  But I digest, seriously folks.

I am a software developer and have great respect for the work they do on this game. So much so that I pay for a VIP membership each month to support the work.

If they keep recycling the same things over and over this game is going to wither and die.  And believe me, they know it.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    I generally run Kraven/Elektr4/board shaker (main event can be fun) on Kaecilius fights. Kraven keeps the strikes in check, so you can take as long as you care to to find them.

I've not tried it yet, but at the 5* Tier, Fi5k is the only one I know who can hand over strikes to the enemy on demand. Certainly not as effective as Elektra/Patch/Sabretooth/Prowler for that though. As an aside, Prowler does do the strike damage and steal the strike, even though it isn't really doing much for you. My Kraven/Prowler/Main Event team got it done
    Now you got me thinking if its possible to run Prowler and Fi5k together for that boss....  Match the strike and take it... Then give it back?!  Keep kraven out to keep them weak?  Theres something there, possibly.
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Doesn't Banner give strikes at 5star tier?  I feel like I used him once.

For this, down in SCL7, I used electra, rogue, and tooth.  Rogue's green gives bonus pink for electras leave-a-strike, take-a-strike power to fire more frequently and she tanks, so that was cool
  • Friarbundy
    OJSP said:
    Friarbundy said:
    But I digest,...
    This made me smile. What have you been eating?
    Noob tears!
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doesn't Banner give strikes at 5star tier?  I feel like I used him once.

Attacks. So don’t use Banner....although in a way this is one of the few times where Hulk is not working against you (as much). You get a free match every turn and a lot of the AP you would have gotten is worthless anyway. 
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Regarding fighting against Kaecilius, I used to use Quicksilver, 3*Loki and Patch, now I like using Sabertooth, Domino (5/3/5) and Agent Coulson. Domino can let the board have lots of black to power up Sabertooth's black. The board shake created by this team also help match some tiles.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used 

Coulson (Purple for swaps)
    Sabertooth (Black for enemy strikes)
    Black Suit (negate strike damage)

Black Suit is my most recent champed 5 so it was nice to have a reason to use him. I wasn’t taking a whole lot of damage, but don’t know if it’s because K-sauce wasn’t hitting hard or Black Suit was putting in work.

I think I’ll run Patch for even more enemy strikes instead of Spidey so I can chase three colors that will all do something, and see if I can survive his strikes. 
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used 

Coulson (Purple for swaps)
    Sabertooth (Black for enemy strikes)
    Black Suit (negate strike damage)

Black Suit is my most recent champed 5 so it was nice to have a reason to use him. I wasn’t taking a whole lot of damage, but don’t know if it’s because K-sauce wasn’t hitting hard or Black Suit was putting in work.

I think I’ll run Patch for even more enemy strikes instead of Spidey so I can chase three colors that will all do something, and see if I can survive his strikes. 
    He hits pretty hard when he gets enough tiles out. His AOE almost wiped my team even with Quake on board as well. 

I’d say Spidey was doing his job.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I had no issues running "Team Attrition":

4* Spider-Man 2099
    4* Spider-Gwen
    4* Spider-Man Infinity War

The strategy here is to keep trying to match away the enemy strikes, or set up strike tile matches (he takes damage if he matches them), and if that's not possible, deny black. Now that destroying the strikes via a match-4 or match-5 row clear also triggers the damage mechanic, it's a bit easier. But in the meantime, the two spider-boys (and Gwen's yellow when you get some AP) make lots of web tiles that get matched and provide healing via Gwen. Then even when K gets his nuke off, the two boosted spiders have enough HP to eat it like champs and then get healed back in no time, while the non-boosted IW Spidey gets the damaged reduced courtesy of all the web tiles that are out.

It wasn't hard, but there was at least one where bad strike tile placement made it take seemingly forever.
  • Friarbundy
    I used Magneto, Medusa, and 3* Doc Occ.  All three have board control.  Doc Occ makes attack tiles when you match one of K's strike tiles.  Medusa heals the team when you match Doc's tiles.  Easy peasy with two of the three boosted.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2019
    I was thinking about the Lost in Time PVE.....in a way it is defensible to offer this even as it is full of a lot of repurposed art.

The Best in Class PVE was also debuted.

The past 3 Anniversaries had:

#3:  Boss Rush
    #4:  X-Men vs Apocalypse
    #5: Places of Power

Just one single new PVE (other than the "Class of" PVPs and a couple other new PVPs which take much less time to put together)

So I will be charitable, and wait to see what sub 3 brings, but even if it's also full of repurposed assets, at least they put something different together to play on an ongoing basis as well as gave us some easy 4* covers to collect with a daily node event (Best in Class).

This is not to forgive/forget a number of other failings.....just this one aspect of the Anniversary.

Also, people expecting something different from PVE....why?  Remember that each PVE is encoutered by people with 1* rosters as well as 5* rosters and they need to keep the basic mechanics in place for the casual player.

I of course would like raids again but I suspect those were a terrible experience for 95% of the players.