Shield training __________________________________.

jtsings
jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
Just wanting to gauge people's thoughts on Shield Training.  If you have any other comments please feel free to explain.

Shield training __________________________________. 160 votes

Is an easy way to get a cover for a new character and it's very easy for me to have all the required characters
7%
neodukePongierdvargas1LLohmDaredevil217[Deleted User]bluewolfMushroomGenius808crackninjaMomo988Chrynos1989Acemontiero 12 votes
Is an good way to get a cover for a new character but it's somewhat difficult for me to have all the required characters
11%
afsplatsinnerjflLoosieCT1888jackstar0liminal_ladDukeUpdateZombionicdoomKGBDyingLegendjneidusJwallyrZolomkk3thessrandomhero1090skittledaddydingoMoonKnightmarcoseirasf 19 votes
I don't pay much attention to getting all the required characters for Shield Training: if I have them, I have them, if I don't, I don't.
5%
divouneMalcrofWarbringaammenellHalleckHoundofShadowpeterdarkGodzillafan67 8 votes
I like or used to like Sheild Training but I don't like the requiring of new characters that I've not had enough time to collect enough covers for.
58%
PorkBellychamber44Wonko33zonatahuntNeuromancerBearVengertrat73xKOBALTxMojoWildIridiousrbdragonPunter1HoutroZommyGDwymtimeRealstuff_NameChangeabmorazAXP_ismesymphonix81steakleather 93 votes
It's too much trouble trying to gain the covers required for characters in Shield Training, so I've given up on Shield Training
11%
KolencefirethorneTiggidaZootSaxArctic_OnehalirinKhanwulfJackTenrecLilithTenebraecaptainheathRentedPandaMaxPowersEd_DragonriderIron1OmegasedTarelgethSection8frankThisisClemFandango 19 votes
I'm a 5* player so I don't really need the Sheild Training cover for a 4* character, unless it happens to be a 4* that works well with my 5* champs.
0%
theomen 1 vote
I'm new to MPQ or I don't enough 4* characters at the required level to participate in Shield Training for the new character cover.
3%
RhipfJormagundBurceeNeoktheone111MCH111 5 votes
I don't play in Shield Training
0%
None of the Above
0%
Other (please explain)
1%
BowgentleBigSoftieFFgrumbLEGO 3 votes

Comments

• crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Is an easy way to get a cover for a new character and it's very easy for me to have all the required characters
    It is easy for me to have all the required characters, but I still don't like that more often than not they are requiring a very new character
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like or used to like Sheild Training but I don't like the requiring of new characters that I've not had enough time to collect enough covers for.
    It is possible to keep up if you prioritize it, but I decided to prioritize chasing fed 5*s instead. Now more often than not I’m 2:3 and that’s largely ok in the end.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2019
    Other (please explain)
    It’s not necessarily hard for me to have the covers needed for a new character but as I get more and more tired of the shitful pvp rewards in general I find myself not caring. 

I also understand that my experience is not like everyone else’s and would have to say that overall the need for such new characters isn’t good. If...... and it’s a huge one...they made the new toon available to at least purchase some covers for it would make way more sense to me. It would still cause angst but at least they’d get some cash to go with the anger and resentment they get.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Is an good way to get a cover for a new character but it's somewhat difficult for me to have all the required characters
    The new characters required has been a pattern lately. However it’s still super annoying to have to get those covers in time.
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    It's too much trouble trying to gain the covers required for characters in Shield Training, so I've given up on Shield Training
    I successfully chased the required 10 covers a couple of times, but as others pointed out, it really does not matter, having the 1 extra cover to chase 10 for the next.  So I give up.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't pay much attention to getting all the required characters for Shield Training: if I have them, I have them, if I don't, I don't.
    I think you need only 9 covers for certain distribution. 
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    You need 10 covers for a required character, so with human torch we have had little or no time to get him adequately covered 

the knock on effect of this means that we are already 1 cover down for 2099 spidey 

i had managed to catch up after the last shield training but because they changed the order I only have 4 covers and I think I’m going to get 2 from dp v mpq plus 1 from the next event, meaning I’m still 3 short though 
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    I've put in place some scheme to increase the odds for me. Tracking which will be next Shield Training latest required characters. Set bonus hero on second next (not next because I will not have enough time to cover him anyway...), and pray to the RNG gods.
    I worked once on ten attempt. I usually finish at 6 covers.

I do understand that this event is not created so that everybody could finish it. Still, to me, the first cover should be easier to fetch, even for casual players.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    don't really care. 
    it's a single cover, and most of the time for a character i couldn't care less.
    if the char is strong like juggs or bishop I will try to champ him/her as soon as possible, that single missed  cover of 13 isn't really relevant.
    just annoying, but it's nothing unexpected with mpq
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I usually have to hope for a few BH covers to get enough for this, and with Torch sat at 1/3/5, the prog cover from the release event won't be any help, so the vagaries of RNGesus are all that remain for me.

Usually manage to scrape through, so we shall see. 
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,761 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't play PvP, so never really chased the necessary covers. However until about 6 months ago I always managed to get them through PVE, BH, LT,... Ever since Magik that has not been the case, so I don't really care if I get the covers or not.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I’m a bit peeved about the choice of torch for this shield training. Mine won’t have enough covers to pass muster before the end of the event so I’m not going to waste my time scratching around for him. I understand the hamster wheel incentive at play here but I had hoped that during the anniversary it would use only older characters. 

I don’t think I’ve had enough covers on the right characters for the last three or four shield trainings. I guess I fell behind the curve at some point and haven’t played enough to catch back up again. I accepted a little while ago that I’m never going to be in the upper echelons so this is just a reflection of how much time and/or money I’m willing to put in. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    IMO as it gets harder to accomplish this, it causes players to devalue the character covers more than before.  Which works against them.

As it is, 4's need to be really something special to stand out and feel like someone you should actively chase.  Shield Training creates a "need" to have 10 covers (or 9 with the right spread) for someone in order to not fall further behind on the next one, but dilution has made it very hard for most players.  

So as each new character dilutes the pool, and ST gets harder to qualify for, player interest in new characters will take another small but real hit among more and more players.

I doubt many people are going to spend to chase covers just for ST?  But maybe I'm wrong.  Anyway, it seems like ST is starting to show its age.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    My torch was only 6 covers (got lazy with pve, otherwise may have gotten 3 more from deadpool vs Mpq placement rewards). Would normally pull from latest using bonus hero to get the last cover or so. However, my storm and iceman are championed, which led me to do the unthinkable and pulled from classics instead. 

67 pulls it took to get the required 4 covers (could have stopped at 3 and wait for progress reward from lost in time, but I couldn’t be bothered waiting). Got 3x bonus heroes, two of which were torch and 1x 5*(black widow). Also got 8x 5* covers (a champion level for Thor and Loki, much needed covers for green goblin, dr doom, black suit spidey, black widow and 2x dr ock). Black window can be finished now with champion rewards (though it takes 68x 4* covers). Same for black suit spidey but would require an extra 4* cover to get there. Moved the bonus hero back to Mordo (only 10 covers left to finish strange).
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    SHIELD Training was initially positioned as a nice way for veteran players with deep, established rosters to get a nice boost on the acquisition of a new character, but the continual use of newly introduced characters insures that it's not.  I think I've completed one, possibly two of the events in its entire history, despite having probably 80% and change of the 4* tier champed.

I'll try the loaner node to see how the new character plays, but my assumption every time is that I'm not going to qualify to complete it.  
  • grumbLEGO
    grumbLEGO Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Other (please explain)
    I like the shield training and I can often scavenge the necessary covers but it’s a burden and on the off chance I can’t get the covers together to get the newest character (I am a character hoarder) then it sets me back for the next time. I like the system, I’d just rather we had a bit more time between character release and having that character required at level 209 to get the next one.