Speed up the mana bonus notification/"pop-up" please?

13»

Comments

• Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    I think all development should stop until this is fixed. This is easily the worst thing in this game. I'd rather see Throne of Eldraine delayed for a year than for this to continue.
  • JamesGam
    JamesGam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    So there is no point to the "visual aid" feature if it doesn't turn off these things.  

And delete the mana bonus animation feels more appropriate. Deleting code is easier than modifying right?
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh man I forgot about Dampening Sphere until this past weekend.  It feels like it takes an hour for that damn support to finish animating.

Please either remove this horrible feature or make it so the game can still run while it's happening.  Please.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, this feature is poorly implemented. More things people didn't ask for being prioritized over stuff the game needs.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi Everyone.

If everything lines up as planned, then the mana bonus notification should be updated in 3.9 to allow for it to occur parallel with other actions.
    JamesGam said:
    -snip-

And delete the mana bonus animation feels more appropriate. Deleting code is easier than modifying right?
    I understand that this is probably more of a quip than a legitimate question, but I personally wouldn't consider deleting code to be any easier than modifying it (although it certainly depends on the extent of the code, of course)

It's like deleting a few cells from an Excel sheet that contains a bunch of formulas referencing cells all over the place and across different tabs. Sometimes you get lucky and those cells aren't being referenced in any formula. Other times, you delete those cells and all of a sudden you discover that one of the formulas on another tab was referencing it, and now it's broken.

Sometimes it's better to take the time to analyze and improve a feature than to just go...
    jtwood said:
    Yes, this feature is poorly implemented. More things people didn't ask for being prioritized over stuff the game needs.
    One of the concerns we hear, particularly from new players, is that game play can be confusing to understand sometimes. While we know that veteran players like yourself are well aware of card and game mechanics, we're constantly looking for ways we can help other players understand exactly what's going on during a match.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone.

If everything lines up as planned, then the mana bonus notification should be updated in 3.9 to allow for it to occur parallel with other actions.
    Thank you Brigby for this (and a much needed chuckle).
    Brigby said:
    One of the concerns we hear, particularly from new players, is that game play can be confusing to understand sometimes. While we know that veteran players like yourself are well aware of card and game mechanics, we're constantly looking for ways we can help other players understand exactly what's going on during a match.
    Responding to this, I (and probably many others) understand that some features need to be geared toward new players who don't know what they're doing.  However, the implementation is what is extremely frustrating.

The mana bonuses could have been included in the Card Display System, and thus able to be turned off by players who do not need the reminder.  Or they could have been build to happen parallel with other actions like they will be now.  It is baffling that nobody on the dev team noticed how much the game slowed down as a result of the notifications (or that they did notice and thought it wouldn't be an issue).

I believe the complaints about things "nobody asked for" is more an expression of frustration that new content that isn't seen as a high priority by many here on the forums is being rushed out in a way that negatively impacts their game experience while changes that are being frequently asked for (even simple ones like fixing Agrus' missing Legendary tag) are seemingly ignored.
  • JamesGam
    JamesGam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone.

JamesGam said:
    -snip-

I understand that this is probably more of a quip than a legitimate question, but I personally wouldn't consider deleting code to be any easier than modifying it (although it certainly depends on the extent of the code, of course)

It's like deleting a few cells from an Excel sheet that contains a bunch of formulas referencing cells all over the place and across different tabs. Sometimes you get lucky and those cells aren't being referenced in any formula. Other times, you delete those cells and all of a sudden you discover that one of the formulas on another tab was referencing it, and now it's broken.

Sometimes it's better to take the time to analyze and improve a feature than to just go...
    jtwood said:
    Thank you for replying. I understand what you are saying. And lol for the gif. 

With that in mind, for newer players, the mana symbol increase has to be moved somewhere more noticeable like towards the middle of the screen - it is too easy to be mistaken for a freeze.  

For veterans, when the visual aid is "off" the animation needs to be completely invinsible without causing any waiting time for the invisible background animation to finish (the important part is that the game doesnt hang as the mana bonus processes in the background) and/or fast-forward the entire thing at 20x 

Thank you. 
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    My main issue with "features" like this is that it feels like it went untested or un"played" through enough scenarios. That, in turn, brings me back to the question of who actually plays the game on the D3 side and/or has the chance of seeing issues like this...

Just seems like Oktagon QA is just doing what they're told and not paying attention to any side effects of what they're testing... Never a good thing....

Glad it's at least getting a rework, though...
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    starfall said:
    Brigby said:

*Oktagon changes one thing in code, something else breaks*

"Well, you have to remember that code is very interwoven and it's very hard to change one thing without changing something else"

*Oktagon changes one level objective but all identical level objectives elsewhere in the game remain unchanged*
    This is why I keep asking them to do impact analysis....