Anniversary is coming...is it time to champ Devil Dino?

Comments

• Palookaville
    Palookaville Posts: 83 Match Maker
    I'm gonna wiggle wiggle outta it
    I remember when I championed Devil Dino, I was so happy. He was considered a "Meat Shield" and people would not attack you because he had just too much darn health to bother with.

And the 5*s came along and Devil Dino a joke.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,761 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other - please indicate preferably with a dinosaur reference

Chomped him as soon as I could!

And in 5 years I'll be able to do the same for Taskmaster!

• RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Rawhrr! Chomp chomp!!! Yes!!!!
    In a perfect world, Taskmaster could learn the Tiny Arms attack.  I would turn animations back on for that. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Devil Dinosaur is Champed!!!!!! Now to go chomp in the 2014 Grittyfest!
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Only if he gets his Nextwave costume...
    Image result for nextwave devil dinosaur
    That'd be "she" and "her," respectively, my good man. Or, obviously, "they" and "their."

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other - please indicate preferably with a dinosaur reference
    Yepyep said:
    That'd be "she" and "her," respectively, my good man. Or, obviously, "they" and "their."

Where does this come from?  I've seen on this forum people referring to DD as a she, but even the game lists him as a "he".  Is this some Odinson/Jane Foster thing that happened in the comics?  
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    Doesn’t Nick Fury say her in the game?

i definitely saw it somewhere 

the character is a he in the comics as far as I can tell 
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Devil Dinosaur's in-game bio uses male pronouns.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Where does this come from?  I've seen on this forum people referring to DD as a she, but even the game lists him as a "he".  Is this some Odinson/Jane Foster thing that happened in the comics?  

There was a comic (Heroes for Hire, circa 2007) where Devil Dinosaur was found with a clutch of eggs, with the assumption that DD had laid the eggs.

I don't think it has ever been brought up again, with later comics referring to the character as male.

• ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    He was one of earliest high level 4s.  I ran him in PVP with champed Carol and Peggy, to bring purple and be a shield.  So I have a soft spot for DD.  And you'll get champ levels during special events from time to time (Howard maybe more so)
    First PvP he was winnable, whales had him maxed and it was just such a slog to chew through 19k health
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2019
    Bowgentle said:
    I'd totally buy that for 80 bucks.
    then it will cost 99,90.
    don't worry, they probably add some elite tokens. and some supports.

don't really care about anniversary chars - taskmaster is the only exception. Howard and Dino covers imo are a waste of roster space.
    task is the same, will never use him, but he will be champed.
    because Deadpool. 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    jamesh said:

There was a comic (Heroes for Hire, circa 2007) where Devil Dinosaur was found with a clutch of eggs, with the assumption that DD had laid the eggs.

I don't think it has ever been brought up again, with later comics referring to the character as male.

From HowStuffWorks:

"But eggs aren't always the best indicator. It might seem like a skeleton perched atop a nest of eggs belonged to a female, but it's just as likely that male dinosaurs, like male emus and ostriches, were the ones that did the brooding."

Because science.

• therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    How many saved covers do you have?

• Yepyep
    Yepyep said:

Hey, sorry, I was away all day. It's a good question. I was just tossing it out there for fun, mostly, but also because reptiles have an intermediate sex, not uncommonly (in my understanding, and my language is probably inaccurate but I think it conveys the point well enough). Some reptiles, at least, can reproduce with just a female by means of a form of cloning. A male cannot do this. So I think the thought is that DD was solo, if there was reproduction then they must have been female.

See this, roughly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis

• Yepyep
    helix72 said:
    jamesh said:

From HowStuffWorks:

"But eggs aren't always the best indicator. It might seem like a skeleton perched atop a nest of eggs belonged to a female, but it's just as likely that male dinosaurs, like male emus and ostriches, were the ones that did the brooding."

Because science.
    Obviously, this is logically sound. Male incubators are not that uncommon.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_incubation
  • helix72

Not sure if the question was directed at someone in particular, but I personally have 22 saved covers for my fully covered Devil Dinosaur. And with only 25 4*s left to champ on my roster, he will be champed last, even after Talos and Emma. And likely bumped down further as new releases get full coverage. However, at the rate I get 5* covers, I suspect I will champ DD before I champ my first 5*, so he has that going for him.
  • Yepyep
    helix72 said:

Not sure if the question was directed at someone in particular, but I personally have 22 saved covers for my fully covered Devil Dinosaur. And with only 25 4*s left to champ on my roster, he will be champed last, even after Talos and Emma. And likely bumped down further as new releases get full coverage. However, at the rate I get 5* covers, I suspect I will champ DD before I champ my first 5*, so he has that going for him.
    After Talos? Wowzers, that’s some hate! 😂 I’ve got 9 saved. 

I’m well past any urgency about which 4* is champed next. Sadly. It’s a slow slide into nada who art in nada, I fear... I only have a few 5s champed, but nada lurks in every corner. 
  • helix72
    Yepyep said:

After Talos? Wowzers, that’s some hate!

Talos at least I'm interested to see how he works paired with America Chavez and Hood. Talos tanks Purple, Blue, and Black which is a perfect complement to America's Red, Yellow, and Green. Since they cover the rainbow, Hood will sit in the back and take no damage while stealing AP. Then both America and Talos have powers that boost match damage which will go along nicely with all the crits that America will be pumping out. Juice it up even more with supports and...wowzers.

Devil Dino...I can't think of a single use for him that I'm even remotely curious about. Even assuming he's the next CoT featured character (I'm guessing based on the H4H store), I'll just slap my level 200 Chewie support on him, deny the enemy any AP that matters, and watch all the attack tiles do the heavy lifting.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    helix72 said:
    Devil Dino...I can't think of a single use for him that I'm even remotely curious about. Even assuming he's the next CoT featured character (I'm guessing based on the H4H store), I'll just slap my level 200 Chewie support on him, deny the enemy any AP that matters, and watch all the attack tiles do the heavy lifting.

Against a Lv222 2/2/2 Squirrel Girl you don't even need to do that much.  Denying yellow spares the minimal annoyance that causes, but otherwise it’s as straight-forward as they come. 

With Devil Dino, if “because dinosaur” isn’t reason enough to level him/her, you’re probably right to leave DD until last.  ...unless there’s an Anniversary Shield Training. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    helix72 said:
    Yepyep said:

After Talos? Wowzers, that’s some hate!

Talos at least I'm interested to see how he works paired with America Chavez and Hood. Talos tanks Purple, Blue, and Black which is a perfect complement to America's Red, Yellow, and Green. Since they cover the rainbow, Hood will sit in the back and take no damage while stealing AP. Then both America and Talos have powers that boost match damage which will go along nicely with all the crits that America will be pumping out. Juice it up even more with supports and...wowzers.

Don't sleep on Dino. I fought a Dino, 3* Carol and 3* Cap team in 2014's pvp and my Gritty/Juggs team got utterly destroyed. It was pretty bad, like Jurassic Park sequel bad.