Placement discussion

jp1
jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
How about making placement an obtainable goal for those of us who can’t schedule our lives around MPQ? 

It it feels a little backhanded that the same hectic work schedule that has let me support the game financially has also stopped me from progressing as far as placement is concerned.

There really must be a fair way to deal with this, why not change it so points are influenced by how much damage you take? That would really mix up the PVE Meta. Perhaps extra points could be earned for using more of your roster? Just spitballing here, neither of those options would be particularly helpful to me personally...at least they would be accessible to everyone though.

Anyone have some suggestions that don’t involve scheduling your work/sleep/family time around a mobile game?

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    jp1 said:
    How about making placement an obtainable goal for those of us who can’t schedule our lives around MPQ? 

It it feels a little backhanded that the same hectic work schedule that has let me support the game financially has also stopped me from progressing as far as placement is concerned.

There really must be a fair way to deal with this, why not change it so points are influenced by how much damage you take? That would really mix up the PVE Meta. Perhaps extra points could be earned for using more of your roster? Just spitballing here, neither of those options would be particularly helpful to me personally...at least they would be accessible to everyone though.

Anyone have some suggestions that don’t involve scheduling your work/sleep/family time around a mobile game?
    Placement is very attainable for all rosters sizes just drop your scl.  It won’t matter how you restrict play.  They have rosters fundamentally faster than yours and a far more nuanced understanding of ever facet of the game.  Even if you made it puzzle, they can solve it faster.  Even if you could schedule your time,  you’ll see how much more efficient they play.

Edit:  let restate this way.  There is no way to avoid rosters that are fundamentally stronger than yours without dropping down multiple scl.  The game is mature enough that massive rosters exist throughought scl 6 and higher ( which coincidentally aligns with scl restrctions).  Even though you maybe eligible to play high level scl s, your roster and knowledge of the game is insufficient to compete for the high placement tiers.  You could certainly tweak scheduling etc, but your really just pretty caking one mega whale over another.  There is no schedule tweak that will allow a 4* roster compete against a level 470 5* player.
  • jp1
    Who is “they” you are referring to? How could you possibly know they could solve a puzzle faster than everyone else? Etc...

Im sorry, but that post was both condescending and far too vague.

Why would I drop SCL for placement? Better still, why should I have to? The point I’m making is that the game caters to those with a flexible schedule. Just wondering why that is.
  • Phumade
    jp1 said:
    Who is “they” you are referring to? How could you possibly know they could solve a puzzle faster than everyone else? Etc...

Im sorry, but that post was both condescending and far too vague.

Why would I drop SCL for placement? Better still, why should I have to? The point I’m making is that the game caters to those with a flexible schedule. Just wondering why that is.
    Just go look at any top20 lb.  they all have wide and deep rosters. In the last May June puzzle which scored on specials. The winners had very advanced and deep rosters and could play every combo team devised.  Even there the only advantage was that the specific team was not known.  That advantage lasts exactly 1 event and the. Every whale can play that combo at max champed status.

you drop scl because it’s the only roster limit in the game.  That’s the only way a smaller roster beats a bigger roster.

it is true that the game caters to flexible schedules and flexible rosters.   That’s the real whale advantage.  You can’t compose a team that a mega whale won’t already have at 550/370
  • jp1
    Phumade said:

Edit:  let restate this way.  There is no way to avoid rosters that are fundamentally stronger than yours without dropping down multiple scl.  The game is mature enough that massive rosters exist throughought scl 6 and higher ( which coincidentally aligns with scl restrctions).  Even though you maybe eligible to play high level scl s, your roster and knowledge of the game is insufficient to compete for the high placement tiers.  You could certainly tweak scheduling etc, but your really just pretty caking one mega whale over another.  There is no schedule tweak that will allow a 4* roster compete against a level 470 5* player.
    I have nine 5* champs including most of the best, highest level is 472. A great deal of my roster in the 4* tier is well over 300 with many inching towards max champ. 

How did you make these assumptions about my roster?

Of course there are stronger rosters. There are also weaker rosters placing well above me in events because they can get up at 3am and grind.
  • Phumade
    jp1 said:
    Phumade said:

I have nine 5* champs including most of the best, highest level is 472. A great deal of my roster in the 4* tier is well over 300 with many inching towards max champ. 

Of course there are stronger rosters. There are also weaker rosters placing well above me in events because they can get up at 3am and grind.
    I have 20 5* over 460 and 40 4*over 360 and I’m considered a guppy in scl 9.
  • jp1
    Phumade said:
    jp1 said:
    Phumade said:

If that’s the case then something needs to be done to level the field a bit so people can continue to progress in the 5* game. Someone with a roster full of 550 5s doesn’t need placement rewards. Maybe group everyone similarly to what you see in PVP.
  • Phumade
    jp1 said:
    Phumade said:
    If that’s the case then something needs to be done to level the field a bit so people can continue to progress in the 5* game. Someone with a roster full of 550 5s doesn’t need placement rewards. Maybe group everyone similarly to what you see in PVP.
    The field is level, I can drop to scl 6 where my avg roster size is definitively better than everyone else’s.   Look at what your typing.  You want to create a scl, where everyone higher than your roster has to compete somewhere else.
  • Phumade
    edited June 2019
    Level 460 is not competing for T5 in scl9, and barely competing against 470s for Top10.  You have to go to scl7 or lower if you want to play for the 4* prizes.

you can wait and pray for a fortunate flip, but bracket information is already widely spread, and at this phase of the game, information on brackets, clear orders, team comps, player distribution is pretty much known to whoever wants it.

• jp1
    Rather than dropping to SCL 6 and snagging all the rewards from younger rosters? Sure, I’m okay with that. 

I wouldn’t mind being locked out of lower SCL levels if the rosters you are describing were locked out of mine. Nevertheless, I was proposing we come up with some ideas that would negate that problem. If you don’t like the suggestions I made, that’s fine. Why not suggest some yourself? 

If if you are happy with things as is, that’s cool too, but let’s not pretend that no solutions could possibly exist to change the structure up. Just because someone has a 550 roster doesn’t automatically  mean they have superior skills, so there are ways to reward players who can master certain aspects of the game at whatever level they happen to be at.
  • jp1
    I just checked the last event I played SCL 9. Number 5 in placement had ten 5 star champs maxing out at 475.

Their roster is not drastically different from mine from a quality standpoint, including the 4s. This is only checking the top 5 as well, since I didn’t place top 100 even though I made full clears in every node, I have to disagree that flexible schedule isn’t a huge part of it.
  • Phumade
    jp1 said:
    Just because someone has a 550 roster doesn’t automatically  mean they have superior skills, so there are ways to reward players who can master certain aspects of the game at whatever level they happen to be at.
    I think you have fundamentally misunderstood the match 3 concept.  Whatever aspect you want to emphasized will always be  mastered faster by a player with better tools i.e. bigger faster chars unless you want to make this random lotto.

unless you just want to say, no matter what size roster you have.  Everyone competes as if that roster only plays at level 270.  
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Phumade said:
    jp1 said:
    Phumade said:

Sheesh, if that makes you a guppy, I must be a tadpole. 

Strange was my 12th 5-star champ about half a week ago, and my highest 4-star is GRocket at Lv. 337. I gave CL9 a go these past few events because OML and JJ happen to be 2 of my 12 champs, and boy did having a champed 5E make a WORLD of difference. Ock, Venom, and Sandman absolutely tore my 5-stars a new one in Venom Bomb when they had to pick up the slack for 2/2/1 Captain Marvel. On the contrary, the "typical" 5-star rosters I saw in those subs were clearing in 30-40 minutes tops, finishing their final grinds in like 20. I was happy to see CL9 come along and take some of the 5-star play with it before I joined that level myself, but even within that, there's a quite a disparity in roster strength. CL10 would hopefully offer rewards more appropriate for that level of play, and encourage less dropping down. 
  • jp1
    Phumade said:
    jp1 said:
    Just because someone has a 550 roster doesn’t automatically  mean they have superior skills, so there are ways to reward players who can master certain aspects of the game at whatever level they happen to be at.
    I think you have fundamentally misunderstood the match 3 concept.  Whatever aspect you want to emphasized will always be  mastered faster by a player with better tools i.e. bigger faster chars unless you want to make this random lotto.

unless you just want to say, no matter what size roster you have.  Everyone competes as if that roster only plays at level 270.  
    Okay, I’m all ears. Enlighten me to how a level 550 champ can automatically move gems in a superior way than a level 450 champ from a skill standpoint.
  • Phumade
    Phumade said:
    . CL10 would hopefully offer rewards more appropriate for that level of play, and encourage less dropping down. 
    What do you think will happen in scl 10?  Players will automatically disperse to ensure even seeding throughout all eligible scl.  Nothing will fundamentally change unless you put new roster gates.  Which could just as easily be done now.

you could intuitively say scl 8 limits chars to 460 and lower.  The first response will be,  how can i Taylor my roster to ensure the greats number of rewards.  Plenty of people already discuss how high to raise their 5* to ensure good mar.  Same thing will happen in pve
  • Phumade
    jp1 said:
    I just checked the last event I played SCL 9. Number 5 in placement had ten 5 star champs maxing out at 475.

Their roster is not drastically different from mine from a quality standpoint, including the 4s. This is only checking the top 5 as well, since I didn’t place top 100 even though I made full clears in every node, I have to disagree that flexible schedule isn’t a huge part of it.
    Your flexibl schedule only means a different 475 whale wins.  
  • jp1
    What? That’s the point...if it weren’t rewarded with greater points if you did partial grind at start and final clear at end that would allow more people an opportunity at placement. Whether they be another 475 “whale” (that whole concept has become too nebulous for me to even follow at this point, are they whales or guppies?) or not. It would t be based solely on your life circumstances allowing you to grind in the middle of the night or during your work day.
  • Phumade
    edited June 2019
    jp1 said:
    What? That’s the point...if it weren’t rewarded with greater points if you did partial grind at start and final clear at end that would allow more people an opportunity at placement. Whether they be another 475 “whale” (that whole concept has become too nebulous for me to even follow at this point, are they whales or guppies?) or not. It would t be based solely on your life circumstances allowing you to grind in the middle of the night or during your work day.
    The difference between 475 and 460 is massive in damage and health.  It probably equate to two less turns per match multipled over 50 matches in a clear.  And honest what makes you think that allowing partial grinds would help the smaller roster?  The 475 player will just do the exact same schedule as the 460 player.

just think it logically.  Whatever change you advocate to improve your placement will just be mirrored by the other bigger roster.

Unless your roster is fundamentally faster i.e. at least 10 levels,  they will just do your same schedule

• jp1
    Sorry chief, I’m not sure we are even having the same discussion at this point. 

The top 5 placement in that event had a roster nearly equivalent to mine. Levels and all... I might make an argument that my fives are even a better assortment. They took 5th place because of partial grinds (which I cannot do because of life) while I didn’t even net top 100 because I have to do my clears when the free time arises.

Now if this was the case part of the time, I’d have no issue with it, they have the dedication to schedule their clears they should be rewarded. However, I think there should be instances in which some other part of the player base can experience placement rewards as well.
  • Phumade
    jp1 said:

The top 5 placement in that event had a roster nearly equivalent to mine. Levels and all... I might make an argument that my fives are even a better assortment. They took 5th place because of partial grinds (which I cannot do because of life) while I didn’t even net top 100 because I have to do my clears when the free time arises.

Now if this was the case part of the time, I’d have no issue with it, they have the dedication to schedule their clears they should be rewarded. However, I think there should be instances in which some other part of the player base can experience placement rewards as well.
    Let me state it this way, what’s so unique about your life circumstance, that would preclude the exact same roster as yours plus 10 levels from doing your same clear pattern?
  • jp1
    Phumade said:
    jp1 said:

Let me state it this way, what’s so unique about your life circumstance, that would preclude the exact same roster as yours plus 10 levels from doing your same clear pattern?
    Nothing whatsoever. My lifestyle barely permits me the ability to complete a full clear, forget about a pattern. The person with the lifestyle who can clear in an optimized pattern is unique and precludes many others from doing the same. Once again they didn’t have 10 levels on me and they took 5th while I was not in top 100.
    The only reasonable explanation (since they also did not have Thanos to cut time) is that they were able to optimize points by scheduling their clear pattern for maximum reward.

Not everyone has that luxury. It would be nice to see a placement at some time during the lifespan of the game, but if things progress the same way those placements will continue to go to the same people every event.