Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Thor
    Vhailorx said:

(7) GED
    (8) Hela

May I ask why do you think GED is so good? He is decent but the 7th best? Hela is far better and you put him before her.

Also people forget GG all the time, and he is a monster, also better than GED (his black is better, his purple is amazing and his yellow can fortify all countdowns and repeaters).

Spiderman is also amazing, and people forget about him. Also better than GED IMO (really cheap powers and all build to amazing crits, and stuns). And he pairs great with Okoye.

Second tier chars for me are are:

DD, BB, Strange, Hela, GG, Parker, HE

Hela is bordeline Tier one, she is very, very good, I am loving her (her only problem might be that she doesn't get much from being paired with Okoye, but if Gritty did not exist she would be BFF with Kitty).

PS: I voted Thor, but I have had a really HARD time deciding. Okoye is also amazing and Thanos is a must for PvE (if not using Gritty which would be a must then).
  • Polares
    Thor
    OJSP said:
    Polares said:
    May I ask why do you think GED is so good?
    Probably because of the true healing.
    Then OML would be far better :P (if that is the only reason).
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor
    I went with Thor, he can singlehandely save a PvP match, I'm not so keen if Okoye is my last character standing. I also loved him on release before he became meta, so it is a no brainer to me.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Other (please explain)
    Polares said:
    OJSP said:
    Polares said:
    I am on the GED train as well, it's not just true healing, it's also team healing, a big nuke, ap stealing.. i've had a single AI cascade heal him from 8k to full. His match damage is also so high that at levl 435 he tanks yellow over a level 460 OML.

The way i am using him, even not champed, full rainbow with JG (champed), add in OML (champed), in shield training, i am getting defensive wins. Who would you kill first? The 2 true healers,or the one that comes back from the dead..
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor
    Doesn't OML's healing no longer work once his team mates are down? At least Doom would still stand a chance to get healed in the same circumstances.
  • Rhadamanthus23
    Rhadamanthus23 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Okoye
    "Best 5* Character in Game" can be taken in many ways. The one way Okoye is not, is in single-combat - as folk have already said. But, how often do you have 1v1 combat? Only after your team has failed. So, while it's a vaild argument against her, it's not the best. Most other 5*s aren't so hot when they've lost their team, either. Thor is still able to hold his own - but if you started with him at 50%, you've got to finish from a point of weakness. Kitty left alone might have already raised the special tiles enough to hold on... but removing those tiles can hamstring her worse than Thor. And sometimes, you have the painful task of needing to match them away, yourself.

Okoye seems to be best, even when non-champed and you are stuck in 3* land. Just a single black cover can change your game, making your teams competitive against 4*s. I broke that down, here. And, she just gets more useful with each new cover (Black, especially) until you're in 5* land and are making full-meta teams. So, she's useful at a very early stage, for more people, and has a longer span of usefulness. Thor and Kitty have very limited usefulness until champed (or with lucky color/power coverage).

When discussing how well we did, every time someone says, "Okoye + <insert nearly any character> is devastating!", someone must always add the caveat, "Sure, but every character is devastating with Okoye." This is more a testament to her being the best support character, than the best character as a whole. Granted, while her Red can be very powerful, especially boosted by her Black, it's not cheap... her Black is better used teamed with someone else. Her true heal is great - but only for herself.

By what I'm saying, you can guess that I feel Thor and Kitty are excellent, but not the best. After them, I'd have to say that Hela would probably be fourth, in my mind.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor
    Malcrof said:
    Polares said:
    OJSP said:
    Polares said:
    I am on the GED train as well, it's not just true healing, it's also team healing, a big nuke, ap stealing.. i've had a single AI cascade heal him from 8k to full. His match damage is also so high that at levl 435 he tanks yellow over a level 460 OML.

The way i am using him, even not champed, full rainbow with JG (champed), add in OML (champed), in shield training, i am getting defensive wins. Who would you kill first? The 2 true healers,or the one that comes back from the dead..
    I like GED as well, but he is nowhere near top tier. I think I would eat that team for breakfast in ST. It wouldn’t really matter the order but I would take out Doom first, then OML, then JG. This could be done with Okoye, BB, Sabertooth (Don’t have champed Thor) or Kitty, Rocket, Bishop. 

Im sure it could be done with a number of other teams as well. I think it says a lot that I wouldn’t include my highest level 5 in any of them and that just happens to be GED at lvl 472.

Its a great concept for a team, I just think JG and OML are too squishy. However, if it is scoring you wins...that’s hard to argue with. Maybe I’m missing something.

I’ve most definitely had my butt handed to me by teams I went in thinking would be easy...more than once.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Okoye
    I only have 2 5* champs, so my experience comes mostly from facing 5*s in opposition and using partially built 5*s. Spending a few seasons with just Ghost Rider: Robby Reyes champed, I can solo any other similarly leveled 5* with him, but I don't think that makes him best or even good necessarily. I imagine most 5*s could do the same (maybe not Wa5p - she seems truly trash-tier).  

I went with Okoye because she turns every team into a 5* offensive team, and she has a true heal. Kitty absolutely needs a buddy, and a specific kind of buddy at that. Her damage is attrition based. When you're fighting a Kitty team, you aren't trying to kill Kitty, you're trying to get rid of the special tiles. Once those are gone, you can leave Kitty till whenever. Okoye on the other hand, needs to be dealt with directly (and quickly), because she could be a problem with even a 1* sidekick (hypothetically). Generally speaking, I imagine most of us with transitional rosters are going to prefer support 5s because they force-multiply our existing rosters over individually strong characters. Is half-health Thor going to be a good single-5*? My 2/0/2 couldn't say with any authority.

Regarding Doom, as my other 5* champ, I think a lot of people slept on him in the early evaluations since he doesn't seem exciting on paper. He has a team burst heal that comes with a cascade-creator, a steal-n-heal passive, and a legit nuke on black that comes with the scorched earth passive of wiping the board of specials if he does happen to die. You could do a LOT worse transitioning to the tier than on the coat tails of Doom.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Okoye
    Last season, I took Okoye to 2k in sim with 1* Spidey and a rotation of 2* CM, and Peggy (never using Peggy’s actives). That team can not handle Gritty, but it took down everything else, and I mean *everything* else. 480+ Thorkoye/JJs went down at least 80% of the time, and a few 500+ in there too. “Best” is hard to answer, but it’s pretty cool to be able to use almost my whole roster and have a fighting chance every time.
  • jp1
    Thor

Regarding Doom, as my other 5* champ, I think a lot of people slept on him in the early evaluations since he doesn't seem exciting on paper. He has a team burst heal that comes with a cascade-creator, a steal-n-heal passive, and a legit nuke on black that comes with the scorched earth passive of wiping the board of specials if he does happen to die. You could do a LOT worse transitioning to the tier than on the coat tails of Doom.
    For sure, he is better than many give him credit for. Not a benchwarmer, I put him at #7 just behind Hela and only because she is faster. 

If his his black and yellow were just a couple AP cheaper he would be a serious contender. He is also a lot of fun when boosted.
  • Polares
    edited June 2019
    Thor
    Malcrof said:
    Polares said:
    OJSP said:
    Polares said:

Don't get me wrong, I like him, but I still think Hela, GG and Spidey are better.

AI plays GG really bad, but Spidey and Hela are also very dangerous on the AI;s hand. Spidey with Okoye is amazing, all his powers are cheap, and when you fire Spidey's green with Okoye is really really nasty. But I will agree GED in defense is better than in offense.

In the player's hand though, those three are better than GED IMO. Those three are killing machines, their damage output is amazing, GED can get close to that.

If just GED yellow was 8AP ... :(

PS: And from your question, Doom, OML then Phoenix. OML doesn't heal as much as he used to when there is just one team mate left (he should really be unerfed, at least he should be able to heal as he used to). If using Thoryoke then I dont even need to chose I kill the three of them at the same time :P

PS: I love the character GED even more, SWII was amazing, the best Marvel event in a loooooooooong time (maybe since House of M?), so I was really hoping for him to be meta. A bit disappointed he is not. But I opened my hoard to get him because I love the char.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Okoye
    Okoye makes just about everyone better.  And she might be the best 1v1 cover in the game.

Gotta be Okoye.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Okoye
    jp1 said:
    For sure, he is better than many give him credit for. Not a benchwarmer, I put him at #7 just behind Hela and only because she is faster. 

If his his black and yellow were just a couple AP cheaper he would be a serious contender. He is also a lot of fun when boosted.
    I still have a 4/0/2 Hela at 255, so I haven't spent much time on offense with her. I will say that the champs I've seen in PVP have been especially punishing to Gho5t Rider though. That wolf just chomps out my green for big damage if I'm not careful. 

On Doom's pricing - since you siphon off yellow and black when the opponent matches it, you end up with enough AP to fire those powers off a lot faster than you might otherwise. I'm honestly suprised the Devs didn't swing the needle even farther towards Expensive to compensate. But his black is cheaper and more reliable than Ghost Rider's since you don't have to chase the biggest damager around to get the full 23k out of it.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    OJSP said:
    Polares said:
    True heal is a big part of it.  I am a huge fan of it and may overvalue true healers (just to put my bias on the table). 

But I have had this GED argument with others on the boards.  I think he is a bit underrated by the community, and belongs in the 1(a) group characters that are considered very-good-but-not the-meta.  He does lack a bit in offensive speed. That's why I would never argue that he belongs in the top tier.  But mpq is about grinding too, and GED is very good for grinding.  He is sustainable with his healing, he suppresses the enemy (and fuels himself) on black and yellow.  He only has one offensive ability, but it hits hard enough to threaten a half-Thor or half-dd, which has value.  His burst healing is meh, but also reshuffles the board, which means it's hard for him to be completely screwed by bad board luck.  And he is good on PvP defense (presenting the opposing player with a difficult choice between leaving him for the end and eating 1-2 of his nukes, or pushing through his healing right away (and sacrificing any specials). overall I think the community is just a bit low on him.

But good call for GG polares.  He is a solid second tier 5*.  Good nuke, great utility via fortification and his various bombs.  but he is slow, and has first gen. Match damage. I think he is with IW cap and cable and a few others in the second-tier group. 

And I think I had PP in my top 10.  He seems to me to among the best of the second tier 5*s.  So basically I have the meta tier (the big 3 + Thanos for pve grinding only).  Then a 1(a) group of the good true healers and offensive beasts that lack only a battery (DD, GED, hela, and JJ + strange for pve goons).  Then the second tier of generally good 5* with some drawbacks (pp, HE, storm, etc.). 

Pre-nerf oml might make it into my 1(a) group on the strength of his healing.  But post-nerf oml is too weak and he falls back to the pack. He is still useful if he is your only 5*.  But that is no longer true for many rosters. And his damage output and match strength have been overtaken by power creep.  SS has this same issue.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okoye
    I dont have her champed yet. But hands down Okoye is the most versatile support character in 5* tier. Kitty needs specials, Okoye only needs teammates. 

Okoye makes everyone hit harder and can sustain really well on her own.
  • jp1
    Thor
    I am on the fence the more I think about it. This thread had me asking myself “would I trade my champed Okoye for a champed Thor?” and I don’t think I would.

That puts a pretty big dent in my previous case for him being the best. I still think he is the best standalone but Okoye is just so versatile...
  • Polares
    edited June 2019
    Thor
    Vhailorx said:
    OJSP said:
    Polares said:
    True heal is a big part of it.  I am a huge fan of it and may overvalue true healers (just to put my bias on the table). 

But I have had this GED argument with others on the boards.  I think he is a bit underrated by the community, and belongs in the 1(a) group characters that are considered very-good-but-not the-meta.  He does lack a bit in offensive speed. That's why I would never argue that he belongs in the top tier.  But mpq is about grinding too, and GED is very good for grinding.  He is sustainable with his healing, he suppresses the enemy (and fuels himself) on black and yellow.  He only has one offensive ability, but it hits hard enough to threaten a half-Thor or half-dd, which has value.  His burst healing is meh, but also reshuffles the board, which means it's hard for him to be completely screwed by bad board luck.  

As I said, it is not that I dont think he is good (even though maybe not us much as you do) It is just that the order was a bit off for me. 

One problem on his heal, and one reason why I dont think he is as good as DD or even OML for grinding is that he heals when the other team make blue or black matches, so if the other team dont make those, he doesnt heal (so obviously against feeders he is useless). And even when they do, as you are actively going for black (and maybe blue) they might heal you very little.

I still think Devs should do periodical small fixes to old 5s. Match damage should be improved a bit on old chars, and they should try to tweak some powers to make them better. Some chars dont need a full rework, with just a few tweaks they could be much better (Archangel just needs his blue and green to be 1 or 2 AP less and he would be good, GED yellow should be 8 AP, SS red should be one red cheaper, etc.).
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Okoye
    Doom heals on yellow/black. One trick is just to leave those active matches around for the enemy to get. A match 4, if you can set it up, is ideal because you know they're going to do that one. My Domino isn't high-leveled enough to hang with a 5* team for long (and she is 1:1 overlap with my other champ Ghost Rider), but Doom-ino is a pretty good duo.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Okoye
    Few things in this game compare to the shock and horror I experience when I get smacked for 15K by an attack I would have expected to hit for maybe 5K because I wasn't keeping an eye on how much TU AP Okoye had in the bank. I don't have her champed myself, so I speak moreso as a player that constantly has to take her on in PVP. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards

Ultimately I rank Thor highest because he’s a beast on his own, creates his own AP/cascades, is better on defense than Okoye (we’ve all accidentally let him drop to half health and paid), and supplies Okoye the yellow needed to keep her grinding.  I target Thor first and Okoye last pretty much always.

Not that this means much either way, but it’s interesting that most of Okoyes best partners (sans Thor) are 4*s. Medusa, Deadpool, Sabretooth, Chavez, etc. These teams are so easy to kill because you kill off the low health 4 and leave her for last where she’s easy to finish off.  Thor in contrast pretty much must be paired with a 5 (though I was hitting T5-T10 in CL8 PVE seemingly forever using Thor’s passive to fuel boosted 4* champs before transitioning. So he CAN help others. But it makes more sense for him to fuel his own awesome powers and boost them with Okoye. 

Kitty gets third because she needs Grocket to be effective. Paired with Jessica/Hela/DD, just kill them before they can put out specials and leave Kitty be. 

Thanos is a god and maybe the most important character on my roster. But I give him 4th because he only impacts half the game, making him perfectly balanced... (had to). 

And Jessica in my mind doesn’t quite make the MPQ Mount Rushmore, but is in that next tier (shocked she got so many votes). She’s the best standalone defensive character, but is nothing compared to the combo of Kitty/Rabbit/Tree.

This is my rough ranking. I’m admittedly guessing a lot on the characters I don’t have champed (I asterisked the ones I do have champed). 

Elite/Meta Tier:

1. Thor (Gladiator)*

2. Okoye (Warrior General)*

3. Kitty Pryde (Uncanny X-Men)*

4. Thanos (The Mad Titan)*

Great Tier:

5. Jessica Jones (Alias Investigations)*

6. Daredevil (Matt Murdock)*

7. Hela (Goddess of Death)*

8. Black Bolt (Inhuman King)

9. Doctor Doom (God Emperor)*

10. Spider-Man (Peter Parker)

Good Tier:

11. Storm (Ororo Munroe)

12. Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme)*

13. Green Goblin (Norman Osborn)*

14. Hawkeye (Clint Barton)

15. Captain America (Infinity War)*

16. Loki (God of Mischief)*

17. Cable (Nathan Summers)*

18. Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes)*

Niche Tier:

19. Spider-Man (Back In Black) - Grocket counter

20. Black Panther (Civil War)* - Panthos partner for PVP loaners

21. Silver Surfer (Skyrider)- Bishop counter (unstunnable)

22. Star-Lord (Awesome Mix Volume 2)- Boosts Grocket

23. Archangel (Classic)*- Kills airborne

Meh Tier:

24. Wolverine (Old Man Logan)

25. Gambit (Classic) 

26. Doctor Octopus (Classic)

27. Captain America (First Avenger)

28. Jean Grey (Phoenix)

29. Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)

30. Rescue (Pepper Potts)

31. Iron Man (Mark XLVI)

32. Captain Marvel (Galactic Warrior)*