Best 5* character in the game?

Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
I know this is almost impossible to determine because some people value PVE more, some PvP. Some value those who play well with others, some will give higher points to those who need no friends. More weight on defense, or to those lightning fast on offense?  

Whatever your criteria, feel free to vote for who you think the best in the game is!

[I would also like to do one for the “second tier” (I feel Jessica is right between tier one and two) of DD, BB, Strange, Hela, Doom, Parker, Storm (am I missing anyone else?). 

Best 5* character in the game? 124 votes

Jessica Jones
6%
Thanosgrunth13LLohmMETT-T dependentShintok17kk3thessVengeanceBobdvol 8 votes
Kitty Pryde
19%
PuceMooseGrimSkaldchrisHMrBowersdivouneChipster22jackstar0heybubDukeUpdatejym010Screen Monkey0_FahrenheitProjectus2501BigSoftieFFhelix72AlexNapalmWarbeast_7Scofietmckn131spidyjedi84 24 votes
Okoye
40%
afsplatPorkBellyYasurusinnerjflPunter1DeNappapillaroffaith23moss04rdvargas1jreddGlockomaoptimus2861tiomonopheregasWeltenzeichnerhodayathinkjgomes32KGBJaGoFreelancer 50 votes
Thanos
3%
xKOBALTxsambrookjm[Deleted User]Madrox 4 votes
Thor
29%
Dragon_NexusPolaresKolenceIridiousatomzedrdevil32frachrBasepuzzlerCHRISJNWarbringaTony_FootWEBGASJackDeath666The Viceroy ReturnsbluewolfPants1000StraycatMushroomGenius808brontag1Bubba3210 36 votes
Other (please explain)
1%
acescrackedMalcrof 2 votes

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Okoye for me.  She needs a partner to truly excel, but that is true of all meta characters in the post-gambit world.  And okoye has the most viable partners (just about anyone who generates yellow, and/or can proc her black repeatedly for little/no cost).  And with the right partner, she excels at trivial pve nodes, hard pve nodes, and pvp offense.  Her only 'weakness' is PvP defense.  But that is arguably a player benefit, since we fight her so often in pvp.

My rankings:

(1) Okoye
    (2) kitty (but she drops precipitously if grocket is changed)
    (3) Thor
    *Gap*
    (4) thanos (not actually very good, but uniquely important for clearing pve quickly)
    *Small Gap*
    (5) JJ
    (6) DD
    (7) GED
    (8) Hela
    (9) strange (maybe should be higher, but so squishy)
    (10) Parker
    (11) Storm/cable/hawkeye etc
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Thanos
    As you said in the first post, it depends on what I'm trying to do.  The one I use most frequently is probably Thanos, as he clears up those lower leveled nodes very, very fast.  He doesn't team very well with Okoye, as she gets stunned before her Team up AP bonus is applied to Court Death.  So if I had to pick the best one for me, I'd got with Thanos.  Okoye is a strong #2, but she needs someone to team with to make her better.

if I'm not using Thanos, it's Dr Strange for the goons that spit out countdown tiles every other turn.  With him, Okoye really shines.

My Kitty Pryde is at 2/2/2, so I can't say I've had the chance to ever use a champed one.  She's best when paired with a particular 4-star, as has been covered to death in these forums.
  • AndiTi
    AndiTi Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Okoye
    Okoye also. She makes any character with cheap damage powers dangerous, and makes good characters monsters. Also her heal not only makes her have a ton of staying power, but indirectly feeds black. I often fire yellow when I don’t need her heal just to see if I can squeeze an extra TU match or two before firing someone else’s power. Despite this, she is not OP on defense, which is.a stellar example of good 5* game design:  feeling very powerful in the hands of the player no matter their roster while not not creating imbalance overall.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Thor
    I don’t have Kitty champed, but I have to go with Thor.  Okoye is great too, especially together, but on PVE essentials when I have the boosted 5 champed, I always take the boosted 5, the essential, and Thor.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor
    I say Thor. With anyone else he is still great, with Okoye he is a beast. Self acceleration is ridiculous and both his red and green pack a serious punch.

I think the case for Okoye is strong as well, but she is the best support character in the game IMO. Thor takes it for standalone. 

Kitty, JJ, DD, Hela, GED, in that order for the remainder for me. I don’t have Thanos but he isn’t very impressive to me when I face him in battle.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Thor's green passive might be the single best power in the game right now.  5ap/turn in predictable colors is awesome (it's a bigvpart of why Gambit was OP all by himself). And Thor is almost certainly the character I would take first if I just had to win a single match.

But I think drawbacks about Thor in terms of sustainability dip him down under okoye.  He must be at half health, which is both a bit of a pain to manage and also means that he plays much squishier than he really is. Additionally, to grind with him (and this game is ALL about grinding) you must have someone to tank for him, which requires either a 5* partner, or keeping him soft-capped.  Plus, on his own, his damage output is good but not actually great.  His red can hit hard with some strikes, and his aoe is solid.  But he doesn't become an offensive beast without okoye. 

So that leads back to why I put okoye at number 1.  She has a much bigger pool of viable partners (from multiple * tiers).  And it's very very easy to multi-proc her black, which puts her damage efficiency way up into the 4-6k/teamup AP range (it's 3.9k/AP with a simple aoe attack, and even higher if you use sabretooth red or DD purple).  And even better, proc'ing  her black doesn't come the AP. So she just gets stronger and the match gets longer.  And she has true healing, which makes her awesome for grinding (to call out my own bias, I may over value true healing).

As for Thor v. Kitty, I think they are basically interchangeable.  Both need specific partners to dominate, but are unbeatable with their respective partners.  But I give the edge to kitty based on ease of use.  Thor needs a 5* partner and must be kept half dead.  Kitty just needs a 4*.  And she is also part of the current defensive meta team as well as being great on offense.

And jp1: Thanos isn't very good by himself.  But he deserves a high ranking because of the game's scoring system.  His black passive remains the fastest way to clear trivial nodes in the game.  Which is really important to place well in pve.  It's a trick ranking though, as he has relatively little value in any other context.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Thor
    Thor. No doubt for me.
    Okoye is 2nd best, quite a bit ahead of the rest, but it's Thor who is making everyone so fast, keeping Okoye fully healed each match, shaking the board so Kitty ends up with no tiles to buff...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor
    The way I think of it is "If it was a 1v1 situation"
    Thor all the way. While Okoye makes all team members better, regardless of star or level, and Kitty's a beast with special tiles, Thor's good by himself and even feeds his own AP.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor
    Thor. No contest. Self accelerates and denies the other team that AP. Cascades that still collect AP. Easy to hide. 

You only have to see to see how hard it is to keep okoye alive match for match without him, 3* thor pvp is a complete pain using okoye. Even with chavez and Sabretooth it’s thor that accelerates that with okoye.

Remove thor from the game and every 5* released in the last year except kingpin suddenly becomes viable in a team. I’m not sure removing okoye would have the same impact, Thor would still be on that team as such an easy battery is so hard to turn down.

As for ratings, doesn’t really matter. I only use 3 of them. Kitty is the third. Theres those 3 and then everyone else, doesn’t matter if they are just under those 3 or kingpin rubbish, they don’t get used.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Kitty Pryde
    Kitty

I can kill everyone else. Gritty is just a luck game.
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Okoye
    Okoye because she can turn any character into a beast. I’ll sometimes use her and 2* widow. With enough TU ap and a good blue & purple cascade, she could take out a 5*. Then mention her cheap yet strong true heal. I love her. Her support is amazing as well. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okoye
    it's probably a good thing that all the top 5* are good, but with an asterix. thor is good, but great at 1/2 health. kitty is mediocre (she is, don't argue, haha) but is great with special tiles on the board. okoye is good, but great at making everyone else better. those are probably the three best.

overall, okoye is probably the best and most useful. 4 strong colour matches instead of 3. true healing. damage acceleration. some measure of board control with her row destruction. 
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Thor
    For me hands down 5*Thor.  Unlike Okoye and Gritty, he stands alone.  The other two really rely on other characters.  Thor does it all independent of any other character on the team.  Now of course he is only #1 at half health but even when not at half health he is still a solid character.  Gritty is only top tier due to Grocket and Okoye is great but I will take Thor's auto damage every round and AP collection over her supporting boosts.  The two (Thorkoye) combined though are a beast for sure. 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kitty Pryde
    I'm a 4* player, but finally getting Kitty up to 2/5/2 has made me appreciate how beastly her purple power is. She's especially fun against characters that make one strong tile every turn if one does not exist - she'll blow it up, then deal fairly sizable damage, rinse and repeat. I think that Kitty and Jessica are the most fun 5* out there, just in terms of the amusing things that can happen during matches (like matching three damning evidence tiles in one match, for example *cackle*). 
  • CHRISJN
    CHRISJN Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Thor
    PVP wise is thor, okoye, and Kitty (rng is a must)
    PVE wise is Thanos, Kitty (rng is a must)
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    Okoye
    It’s a close call between Thor and Okoye but I went for Okoye because she boosts so many different characters 

kitty is ialso a worthy mention but take away Grocket and she’s not so all powerful 
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I can't really say for sure, since I only have three 5* champs (JJ, Phoenix and Strange), and the meta-relevant 5*s I do have are parked at 300 until I can get them fully covered (in about a million years if RNG is anything to go by). That being said, I do like JJ as her red and black hit hard and her trap tiles can do a good bit of damage. Incidentally, she works well with Phoenix as her purple makes red for JJ.

I do use 5* Thor for PvE, and he does make things faster, it's just a bit awkward to always have to get him down to half health for that green to really become useful. I don't think my Okoye has any use at all yet, until she gets champed, shortly before the Sun expands and the Earth becomes uninhabitiable.
  • JohnnyStacks
    JohnnyStacks Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Thor
    Thor. Hard decision, but if I could only have 1, it’d be him. Okoye close behind.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor
    Thor. When you can generate your own ap, that's everything.
  • Bobdvol
    Bobdvol Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Jessica Jones
    Will someone do a poll for the most useless 5* in game. Please and hopefully thank you.