Recent Outage Compensation Discussion

pheregas
pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
I know that this was somewhat discussed in another thread, but since this is regarding one aspect of the outage, specifically the outage compensation, I wanted to make it separate.

I want to start that after my conclusions, I thought that the outage Compensation was mostly fair.  Here's why:

I took screenshots of my before and after scores from today's S1 end and compared them.  As node rewards don't change (except for points) from sub to sub, I thought this fair.

Iso-8:  I earned 5,020 Iso-8.  (This includes 2 intercepts for 1,000 Iso each, so really 4k from clears).
HP:  I earned 10 from an intercept.

Given the above, the compensation was somewhat fair given that it was 1,000 more iso than we would have earned anyway and 250 HP more.  There could be an argument made though that anyone not in S1 basically double dipped in those iso rewards though.

Now where it is not fair are the event points and the Red-Iso.

Before anyone makes the argument that all S1 was affected so don't worry about the points and placement, let me say the following.  Overgrinders had a distinct advantage for this one sub, but hey, what's one sub?  Maybe a lot, maybe not.

Today's S1 end netted me 9,625 extra event points.  I know subs increase in points per node as the event progresses, but given that I could not actually start the event until 3 hours after it started, I figured that lacking about 10k points in overall total was a fair estimation.  So while the over grinders cleared early and will have less than that, they'll still have a non-zero amount of a point advantage.  I know I usually place t10 to t50 and in the affected sub yesterday, I placed t200, so there were a fair amount of over grinders.  

Where the inequity really comes into play is that the point amounts will be unaffected is slices 2-5.  Which means if an alliance happens to have an uneven distribution of players that play in S1, their overall placement score will be severely impacted by 10k (or more given the 3 hour late start on the next sub) per person.  Any competitive alliances know how tight top 10 can be so this could be significant.  I have no solution to this.  I'm just bringing it up that some alliances may be forced to relocate s1 players if they're too negatively impacted.  Again, not saying that my alliance would do that, but it is something that might happen.

The other item was Red Iso-8.  No compensation was given for Red Iso, yet standard end of sub clears reward 1,750 Red Iso.  Should I contact customer service to be granted this?  The answer should be a resounding yes.  Many S1 players may not have realized this, so I urge them to do the same (unless you are an over grinder and to that I say, DON'T BE GREEDY.)  :)

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there.  Thank you devs for the compensation.  And good luck keeping that new hamster happy and healthy that runs the servers!  ;) 

Comments

• The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here is my example of where I am, and my ally mates. 

I was in 1st place overall, so this would have been an 5LT event for me since we are a top 10 ally.  Now, I am in 4th and will lose 2LTs now. Also we are not planing to make any moves for the end of this event.  Before sub1 grind, we were in 3rd overall and were trending 1-2 for the whole event.  

We have about 6-8 guys between all our ally’s that this hit.  In my bracket we were 1st, 2nd and 5th.  Now we are 4th, 16th and out of top 20.  So they will lose 2LTs as well.  

I am really hoping that they will look at this after the event.   I have screen shots of each sub end and overall to prove where we stand.  It would be nice if somebody would at least give us a nod that they will look at this. 

@Brigby
    @LakeStone

• pheregas
    Just a follow up.  I submitted my ticket to CS and they denied my claim to the Red Iso 8.

What they wrote:

"We apologize once again for any inconvenience.  Unfortunately, we are unable to provide compensation for any rewards that may have been earned had this issue not occurred."

So basically, we broke it, you couldn't play, too bad.  

I've played other games that gave the equivalent of Legendary Tokens (yes plural) for lesser outages.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    @pheregas

They denied Red iso?  Yikes......
  • The rockett
    Well I guess they need to consider s2 now as well. 
  • pheregas
    There's a ton of over grinding in my last s1 sub.  I'm wondering if people are now banking on the servers to be down tomorrow morning.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    There's a ton of over grinding in my last s1 sub.  I'm wondering if people are now banking on the servers to be down tomorrow morning.
    Maybe, or they are just progression players trying to finish?  Seems early to overgrind, but what do I know.
  • The rockett
    Another email back from CS saying they won’t do anything.  I have every SS of every sub and overall to prove where my bracket was going.  This is a joke that NOBODY from Demi or D3 can comment on this and at least say “Hey we hear yea, don’t worry we will get your backs once this is over”. That’s all we would like to hear.  Is this too much to ask for @Brigby @LakeStone ?
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    You did get an answer. Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but still an answer.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The PvE is not even over yet. Probably wait for them to see how they work out the compensation?
  • The rockett
    I understand that it isn’t over, all we are asking for is something to say “yes we know it got messed up and we will look at this after the event”.  That’s it.  Nothing more nothing less.  I am not asking for a total lay out of what will happen and how they will do it, just a nod that they will do something.  
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    I understand that it isn’t over, all we are asking for is something to say “yes we know it got messed up and we will look at this after the event”.  That’s it.  Nothing more nothing less.  I am not asking for a total lay out of what will happen and how they will do it, just a nod that they will do something.  

What do you expect with Brigby gone for Jury Duty?
    You know everyone else is locked up on Mt. Demiurge waiting for the Town Crier to bring them the filtered news from the frontlines.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited March 2019
    Everyone that play the game know that there's an outage. The devs has already indirectly acknowledged that there is a server outage.

LakeStone said:
    Hi Everyone - 
    We apologize for the server issues that players experienced earlier today.  We are currently investigating what caused the issues.  The issues started to occur around 4:21 AM EST and everything was back up around 10:28 AM EST.  Once the investigation has been completed, we will provide further updates.  Thank you for your patience.
    While this is a response to the first outage,I suppose that they have not finished investigating because there were a couple more short outages after that.

Based on past history, I strongly believe that they will work out some more compensations similar to what they did in Jan 19.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/76785/recent-server-outages-1-4-19

Coincidentally, both long outages happened to 7-day events . :o

1882 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    I wasn't even compensated. Fuming. I was down for 6 hours. Ahh well. Have raised a support ticket about it. 
  • pheregas
    My post mortem was that I hung onto 9th.  If you added the missing 8k to my final score, I would have finished 2nd.

I'm not naming names, but it's pretty obvious the people that cleared early on the day s1 died and got higher rankings due to it.
  • BlackWidower
    BlackWidower Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker

Hi Everyone - 
    We apologize for the server issues that players experienced earlier today.  We are currently investigating what caused the issues.  The issues started to occur around 4:21 AM EST and everything was back up around 10:28 AM EST.  Once the investigation has been completed, we will provide further updates.  Thank you for your patience.

FTFY:

Hi Everyone - 
    We apologize for the server issues that players experienced earlier today.  We are currently investigating what caused the issues.  The issues started to occur around 4:21 AM EDT and everything was back up around 10:28 AM EDT.  Once the investigation has been completed, we will provide further updates.  Thank you for your patience.
  • The rockett
    So how long to you think it will be until we get an answer on S1 lock out, even if they won’t do anything?  And I mean an answer here NOT from CS.  
  • HoundofShadow
    I think we would get an acknowledgement
    about the server outages together with  the compensations lined up by next Wednesday, which is about 3 - 4 business days. 
  • The rockett
    edited March 2019
    Just got an email back from CS.  

“Our superiors have already advised us no further compensation will be provided”. 

Is how this is going to go down. 
    @LakeStone
    @Brigby
    @Demiurge_Will
    @Demiurge_Anthony
    @IceIX
  • HoundofShadow
    How did you ask them?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/76785/recent-server-outages-1-4-19

This exact situation occurred 2 months ago and was handled in a fair, I might even say stellar fashion.

Patiently waiting for some response.