***** Hela (Goddess of Death) *****

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited April 2019 in Character Details
Hi Everyone,
"The rightful heir to the throne of Asgard, Hela - Goddess of Death and Conqueror of Worlds - commands your respect.

Kneel before your queen."

Check out the brand new 5-Star Hela, and find out how you can recruit her onto your roster!

5-Star Rarity (Epic)
Villains
 greentilepng blacktilepng

(Abilities listed at level 450)
54,209 Health
 703 | greentilepng 625 | blacktilepng 547 |  348 | purpletilepng 89 | bluetilepng 83 | yellowtilepng 76 |  4.0x

Knives Out -  9  AP
Hela lashes out with a barrage of conjured blades. Creates 3 strength 264 Strike tiles, replacing any enemy Strike, Attack or Protect tiles before basic tiles.
  • Level 2: Creates 3 strength 331 Strike tiles...
  • Level 3: Creates 3 strength 397 Strike tiles...
  • Level 4: Creates 3 strength 514 Strike tiles...
  • Level 5: Creates 4 strength 514 Strike tiles...
Death's Best Friend - 8 greentilepng AP
The great wolf Fenris lunges at Hela's foes, snapping and gnawing in frenzy. Deals 3719 damage to the target and 2 hits of 2426 damage to random enemies.

(PASSIVE) At the start of your turn, if the enemy team has at least 10 Green AP, deal 2426 damage to the target and destroy 2 enemy Green AP.
  • Level 2: Deals 4091 damage to the target...2669 damage to random enemies. (PASSIVE) Deal 2669 damage...
  • Level 3: Deals 4463 damage to the target...2911 damage to random enemies. (PASSIVE) Deal 2911 damage...
  • Level 4: Deals 5207 damage to the target...3396 damage to random enemies. (PASSIVE) Deal 3996 damage...
  • Level 5: Deals 6694 damage to the target...4367 damage to random enemies. (PASSIVE) Deal 4367 damage...
Death Becomes Her - 9 blacktilepng AP
Hela flexes her power over death to raise the Army of the Dead. Converts all basic Blue tiles into strength 225 Blue Attack tiles.

(PASSIVE) When you down an enemy, improve all friendly Strike, Attack, and Protect tiles by 186.
  • Level 2: ...basic Blue tiles into strength 248 Blue Attack tiles. Improve all friendly Strike, Attack, and Protect tiles by 205.
  • Level 3: ...basic Blue tiles into strength 270 Blue Attack tiles. Improve all friendly Strike, Attack, and Protect tiles by 223.
  • Level 4: ...basic Blue tiles into strength 315 Blue Attack tiles. Improve all friendly Strike, Attack, and Protect tiles by 260.
  • Level 5: ...basic Blue tiles into strength 405 Blue Attack tiles. Improve all friendly Strike, Attack, and Protect tiles by 335.
Character Release Info

Recruit Hela!

Back to Black - Special Legendary Store
  • Starts: 3/28/19, 12:00pm EST
  • Ends: 4/2/19, 12:00am EST
  • 15% chance to get Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff), Black Panther (Civil War), or Hela (Goddess of Death)
  • Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points
Hela Odinsdottir - Special Limited Vault
  • Ends: 4/2/19, 12:00am EST
  • 40 Items: 
    • 1x Back to Black Legendary Token
    • 1x Thor (Goddess of Thunder) Red Cover
    • 3x Random 3-Star Covers
    • 6x Heroic Tokens
    • 4x 2,500 Iso-8
    • 6x 1,00 Iso-8
    • 5x 500 Iso-8
    • 14x 2-Star Covers

Event Schedule

The X-Men Vs. Apocalypse - Alliance Event
  • Ends: 4/1/19, 12:00am EST
  • Rewards Tokens to the Back to Black Legendary cover store
What do you think is Hela's best build? Vote down below!

***** Hela (Goddess of Death) ***** 57 votes

5/5/3
59%
PuceMooseKolenceYasurukillercoolthedarkphoenixrbdragonaxmossVhailorxzeddicusTrerasPongiejackstar0actarus76Malcrofhalirinzodiac339FeloniusWEBGASKevmcgBlack Duke 34 votes
5/4/4
3%
wymtimenippy 2 votes
5/3/5
3%
PtahhotepScofie 2 votes
4/5/4
3%
ManoPAFairyBlades52 2 votes
4/4/5
7%
darkwatcherDEZspidyjedi84MagipinkBurcee 4 votes
3/5/5
22%
Isay_IsayLoosieGoBucsGothechairmanBorstockReecohAnonmarshallPalookavilleFINpanzerKingart813RazuhluiSmashton 13 votes

Comments

• skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    5/5/3
    Hela, Yeah!
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    5/5/3
    Nice a counter to thor and she plays well with kitty.

Incoming helkitty meta
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,215 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    It’s hard to judge the coverage currently but she looks interesting.  Looking forward to the cover breakdown.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    5/5/3
    Would love to know health and match damage.

But here are my initial thoughts.

Pretty good?  Definitely better than the recent run, but maybe not quite meta?

Red: 9ap for ~2k in strikes is solid.  Overwriting is good too, will help against kitty.

Green: 6.7k damage + 8.6k damage that will ignore invisibility is good.  And triple dipping on strikes is good too.  8ap cost is also good.  And a passive that is clearly designed to hurt Thor.  Very good power.

Black:. Seems fine, also seems like the dump stat. Having the ability to make attack tiles increases the value of her red, even if they are weak attack tiles.  The passive boosting is nice, but since it's capped by the number of opponents, and will only boost by a few k at most each proc, it will rarely be game-altering.

5/5/3 all the way.  Clealry designed to counter some current meta elements.  Lacks healing, board control, and self-acceleration, so by herself she is unlikely to dominate.  But with a good red/battery she could do aot of damage quickly. I could maybe see her as the dps part of a dominant meta team withthe right partner (though such a partner doesn't yet exist; Thor is great if you can use a third wheel to tank. What is her match damage? Thorkoye + hela could be nasty in shield sim).

Tl;dr:

Seems pretty good. Something like this stength should probably be the target for new 5* releases. Not a clear replacement for the current meta.

Caveats: don't know her health and match damage. She needs a battery and is at least somewhat susceptible to boardshake. Not sure off the top of my head how often I hold 10 green ap (is it a lot?).

P.s. finallly a use for villain-only supports that focus on red!

P.p.s. Isn't it a little bit early for a new 5*? Did they move up the schedule to get KP out of LTs faster?  Good!
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    5/5/3
    Nice a counter to thor and she plays well with kitty.

Incoming helkitty meta
    Red is clearly a Kitty/Grocket counter, too.
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Yay Hela! She and Agent Melinda May have been my most requested Gimmes! Very happy to see her in game, and she looks fun and pretty good to me (though im obviously not a 5* player so what do i know).
     Anyway super happy and excited now, so yay! :)
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    My second most requested character (right after Red Skull).

That's a solid special store, too.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    I like what she's bringing, but I don't see her changing the game, sadly.

She and BSSM might make a fun "counter-team" but probably not too successful really.
  • FesterTester
    FesterTester Posts: 51 Match Maker
    With the four-star tier at an incredibly dilute 81 characters, and people complaining about lack of variety in the five-star realm, I wouldn't be suprised to see them tweak the 2:1 release ratio a bit.
    Although at 33 five-star characters once Hela releases, the "lack of variety" is more due to the vast gap between the meta characters and the duds at that tier.

The devs kind of painted themselves into a corner by releasing 5-stars starting at such a high level - if they had started at say level 125, they could have then had a six-star tier starting around level 185, and we would be speculating about an seven-star tier being revealed for the 2019 Anniversary, starting at level 255.
    (Of course, maybe then buy clubs would never have been a thing, and perhaps there wouldn't have even been a 2018 anniversary as a result, but I'm wandering off topic).

• thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    5/5/3
    The only problem with her is she still loses to kitty and groot

She's just too slow for that with a passive or some kind of self true heal yeah...

But her and kitty still go well together on defense 

Her black power is interesting, depending on the blues on the board it could hurt a ton.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2019
    5/5/3
    The good:
    • Hela looks quite good (unlike Captain Repeater).
    • Her special store is also a good one. I have been waiting for a store with 5* BW for a long time, since I only need three covers to champion her.
    The bad:
    • Carol has entered the LL store eight days ago and you're about to release the next 5* character. Please slow down your speed, it's almost impossible to keep up your pace!
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2019
    bluewolf said:

Since and including Kitty, we have had 6 5's (including Hela) and 8 4's (with two being limited).  So, something is changing.  We'll see how many 4's come along next.

I am not personally a huge fan of accelerating the speed of 5 releases since they haven't done anything to accelerate CP/LT accumulation besides the CP in Support Circuit.  There might be a counter argument that lots of vets have mature 4 rosters generating lots of CP, but that's not a good enough answer in my opinion.
    Agreed.
    Its even harder for lower rosters, i feel like i do not generate enough cp/lt to keep up despite only needing the one, single one cover for 5e.
    And the less you have the more you miss out on... Like currently, i dont have Banner, so of course i get to miss out on 7 cp... and the cycle goes on...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/4/4
    I like the way she looks.  I will wait to see her green and black at level 3 to decide on 5,5,3 or 5,3,5.  I feel like I like her red and black combo and green might be better at level 5.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,499 Chairperson of the Boards
    3/5/5
    The red is the 3 for me, I think. I mainly want that power for the number of overwrites. Otherwise, I have a lot of other reds I'd rather fire at high level. As long as I still get two at 3, it's probably fine there. 

The green could be a monster. Only 8? And has a passive? That could be beastly. Pun intended. 

Black can be fired whether you're running her with Gritty or Thorkoye. It's a rainbow fill-in the AI can't mess up. 

She won't define a meta, but she complements both current ones. I'm probably still using Bishop with Gritty in PvP, though. 
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Good design and props on no ability costing above 9 AP.
    Got to say, the mechanics of red and green seem like they would have worked perfectly with C5rol, and the repeater-style design could have been saved for Hela. 

I'm guessing the match damage will be far lower than 5CM, but still higher than most Classics.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    That green is just ridiculous for the AP cost. The mediocrity of recent releases just piled their potential right there. Red will pair VERY nicely with Kitty, overwriting the enemy tiles when she gets Circuit Breaker out for an immediate chunk of damage (as long as it’s 4 or less to overwrite), and the spam of attack tiles means an enemy Kitty’s Breaker will be working overtime to get through them. Yeah, Gritty with Bishop will still get defensive wins. A lot. But Hela looks good.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    5/5/3
    Borstock said:
    The red is the 3 for me, I think. I mainly want that power for the number of overwrites. Otherwise, I have a lot of other reds I'd rather fire at high level. As long as I still get two at 3, it's probably fine there. 

The green could be a monster. Only 8? And has a passive? That could be beastly. Pun intended. 

Black can be fired whether you're running her with Gritty or Thorkoye. It's a rainbow fill-in the AI can't mess up. 

She won't define a meta, but she complements both current ones. I'm probably still using Bishop with Gritty in PvP, though. 
    In the abstract, I might agree with you on red.  But (1) you will likely get more overwrites at 5 covers, (2) strikes are better than attacks, (3) black will need somethingike 8+ blues on the board to do damage equal to the red, and gets less effective with successive casts, and (4) bringing someone with a better red costs a team slot, which might make it harder to get a green batter to use hela's awesome green as much as possible.  

So I agree that her red is not world-crushing, and her black likely spikes higher. But I can get much of the value of her black from 3 covers (still enough to dip on my strikes) and I get better strikes from red out of the bargain.  if her black passive were as easy to proc as Carol's tile buffing, I might feel differently.

I see her as a machine to make (or leverage) lots of strikes and quintuple dip on them (1x for match and attack tiles, and the 3x more for each cast off her green).

Curious to see how she plays in practice though. I thought c4rol would be 5/3/5 until the covers fell 5/5/2 and I realized how easy it was to abuse her yellow passive.