PvP without 5* Thor

1235»

Comments

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Thing is, if thor has to be in front for his passive to work (which is a cool solution btw), then now he kind of stinks unless you also take away the half-health element.  He would be going down constantly and would require more effort than it would be worth to get him back down to half health.  And if you remove the half health element, then he would be a nightmare to face so let's just pretend I never mentioned it.
    Not only that, but his synergy with okoye would be destroyed because him being in front reduces the team up count by 1 each turn.
    If it's just thor's time to join gambit and oml, so be it, but I just want us to recognize ahead of time that that's what we'll get.
    He does have a third power on yellow that can protect him from match damage after a while. He'd probably take some damage before he got the yellow AP and the repeater (and protect tiles!) survived a few turns, sure... That just means no climbing from 0 to where ever without any health packs. Kinda like it was before Thor and Gambit, I imagine? Then again, there's Doom now who can tank yellow for him from the start. And Ock can fake heal piecemeal for cheap after the rework, though his repeater can also be pretty unreliable at times.

Also, if the "has to be in front" was the only thing they changed on Thor, I don't think he'd end up joining Gambit let alone OML in level of nerf. Not even close. But I doubt we'll ever see, anyway, so... :)
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Kolence said:
    Thing is, if thor has to be in front for his passive to work (which is a cool solution btw), then now he kind of stinks unless you also take away the half-health element.  He would be going down constantly and would require more effort than it would be worth to get him back down to half health.  And if you remove the half health element, then he would be a nightmare to face so let's just pretend I never mentioned it.
    Not only that, but his synergy with okoye would be destroyed because him being in front reduces the team up count by 1 each turn.
    If it's just thor's time to join gambit and oml, so be it, but I just want us to recognize ahead of time that that's what we'll get.
    He does have a third power on yellow that can protect him from match damage after a while. He'd probably take some damage before he got the yellow AP and the repeater (and protect tiles!) survived a few turns, sure... That just means no climbing from 0 to where ever without any health packs. Kinda like it was before Thor and Gambit, I imagine? Then again, there's Doom now who can tank yellow for him from the start. And Ock can fake heal piecemeal for cheap after the rework, though his repeater can also be pretty unreliable at times.

Also, if the "has to be in front" was the only thing they changed on Thor, I don't think he'd end up joining Gambit let alone OML in level of nerf. Not even close. But I doubt we'll ever see, anyway, so... :)
    I agree that his yellow would become the key, though again that would take away more than 1 of okoye's heals, so maybe jj takes over as his top partner.
    I wonder, do many people currently use thor now when he isn't at half health?  I know that retreating to knock him down is common practice.
    I don't retreat, I start a pvp match and try to leave him out front.  My experience is that by the time he is down to half health, the other team will be about ready to start firing powers that then risk serious to fatal damage.  Maybe a creative new combo would appear that would make him more durable, but my expectation is I wouldn't be able to win more than 2 matches without needing a healthpack, and I'm not confident it would be more than 1 most of the time unless it proves reliable to be able to get his yellow out and effective in time to protect him.
    I can do better than that now with gambit and an unchamped black bolt.
    As you said, we'll likely never know.  His green passive turning into a repeater seems more likely.