Supports only apply to one version of a character

Sm0keyJ0e
Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
I'll start by answering the "Why isn't this in the supports section?" question by pointing out there has been like one comment over there in the last month. This post won't be seen there.

I have two level 370 Rocket & Groot characters in the game. I use these guys all the time in PVE. I have The Milano support equipped to him.

But what I noticed is, it's only equipped to one of him. Why is this a problem?
  • The game automatically selects the version that has the highest health. So if I'm racing through my PVE clears, as competitive PVE play requires, I'm only getting the supported version 50% of the time.
  • I could go back and select the version with the support every time, but this would drastically slow down my PVE clears, which is a detriment to competitive PVE.
  • I cannot switch the support from one to the other due to the 2 hour lockout.
  • I cannot roster a duplicate support to put on each version.
I realize I am in the current minority, but I know many people who have already rostered multiple champs of the better toons and many more are on their way to having duplicates. The ones worth having duplicates generally warrant having a support.

Oversight or working as intended?

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
     Makes sense to me. You could put a different support on the other version.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's a chance you will have to use healthpacks? Then it's probably working as intended.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I swear this was addressed when supports were first released, and the devs said the support should apply to both versions.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think this is a valid edge case to consider - I could see someone wanting different loadouts perhaps, so if it were not possible to equip a dupe with a different one, there would certainly be complaints about that as well. I'm not sure what the right way to handle this really is, since you can't get duplicate supports for this purpose
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say working as intended.

Unless you want them to make supports just like characters and you start raging at pulling your 50th 1* captains shield.

You get one of each style support (if you manage to pull one). Clones don't count as the same person in my book. So each support is set to one character of your choice.

They could equip it for all versions if all your dupes shared one health pool.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    I swear this was addressed when supports were first released, and the devs said the support should apply to both versions.
    I know that Costumes should apply to both characters, but I'm not quite sure Supports are supposed to.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Regarding 2 hours lockout

"What If I want to change which character is using the Support?
    After equipping a Support, it is locked for 2 hours. During that time, the Support cannot be unequipped from the character. After the locked duration has elapsed, however, the support is able to be removed and equipped to any other valid character.
     (This is to avoid a situation where the best strategy is to change your support setup between every fight.)"

Regarding duplicates:

What happens when I receive a Support that I already have?
    When you receive a duplicate Support of equal or lesser rank to a Support you already own, the Support is converted to Red Iso-8 automatically. When you receive a duplicate support of a higher rank, your Support immediately has its rank increased and you receive some Red Iso-8.

Since Supports don't require roster slot, they are simply added to the collection.

Your scenario is very niche for players who Thanos + R4G their way in PvEs. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the answer is that your support will not be equipped to your dupe then WE, the player base, need to be able to decided if we want to keep a dupe support or not.  This is a perfect example on why they need to transfer over to your dupe character.  

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    I would say working as intended.

Unless you want them to make supports just like characters and you start raging at pulling your 50th 1* captains shield.

You get one of each style support (if you manage to pull one). Clones don't count as the same person in my book. So each support is set to one character of your choice.

They could equip it for all versions if all your dupes shared one health pool.
    I agree.  You can't run two RBG "clones" simultaneously, but they are still separate characters (like Chulk and Hulk, Thor and Thoress).  You can set a support to any one character of your choice.  If you want to swap, you have to wait the two hours.  Otherwise, you get to have your support on two separate characters (even if they can't be played simultaneously).  It would seem unfair for me to be able to put my Baby Communicator (or whatever the heck) support on all versions of a character.  And if we allow dupe supports that can become crazy exploitative when you have three supports that all do the same thing firing at once.  Now, if the issue is that they keep swapping in the character without the support because they have higher health, then I agree that is problematic.  Maybe an option we can toggle in settings to decide if we want to auto-rotate characters based on health?  That way you can keep using your lower health version that has the support equipped, instead of them autoswitching to the higher health.

Finally, I just have to say that "no one will read this" probably isn't the best reason not to put a post in the appropriate forum.  Otherwise, why have those subforums in the first place? [personally I think we either shouldn't have them, or should be free to post where we want, but thems ain't the rules unfortunately].
  • The rockett
    Brigby said:
    I know that Costumes should apply to both characters, but I'm not quite sure Supports are supposed to.
    @Brigby can you please find out for us and let us know.   If the answer is they don’t, then why cannot we chose to keep Dupe supports then for this situation?  What would the answer be then on how a dupe character would be able to get the support that we want to put on them to make them the same as the other one? 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    It's probably working as intended, because you might want to have different supports equipped to each dup of the same character, and that would not work if one support equipped to all dups of the character.

What is needed to mitigate this would be a way to pick between dups without having to scroll through your inventory on the character select screen.  And an easy way to see what support is equipped to the selected character on that screen.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    oversight
    The two hour lockout is stupid design.
    name a game with gear that doesn't let you change between levels.
    Why can't we hot swap them around? If I'm willing to spend the time and frustration of navigating the awful support UI every time then let me. From what I gather from competitive T10 play; that time matters.

OP: what others do you think are worth having 2 of? Bishop?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    More ideas to turn the game into a smoother mindless gameplay? I hope the devs reject these ideas.  B)
  • LLohm
    LLohm Posts: 84 Match Maker
    I’ll put in my vote for duplicates having the same support equipped.

it will be fair since the design is such that duplicate supports cannot be collected for a good reason. It will also help in support management since we can be sure that all versions of the character we are using will be similarly enhanced.

Imagine 3x 5* Atlantis equipped on a team in pve if duplicates are allowed. I don’t think this travesty should be allowed.
  • The rockett
    More ideas to turn the game into a smoother mindless gameplay? I hope the devs reject these ideas.  B)
    So what you are saying is that if you have 2-370 4* that you shouldn’t be to use the same support on both of these?  Why should you be punished if you have  invest the time and resources in the game to have 2 of a character?    
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I think one time I sold a  max champed 3* and the support transferred to my lower level one
  • tiomono
    So what you are saying is that if you have 2-370 4* that you shouldn’t be to use the same support on both of these?  Why should you be punished if you have  invest the time and resources in the game to have 2 of a character?   
    You get one of each support. You may apply a support to "one" character of your choice not to an unlimited number of duplicate characters. There is no punishment in this feature.
  • The rockett
    tiomono said:
    You get one of each support. You may apply a support to "one" character of your choice not to an unlimited number of duplicate characters. There is no punishment in this feature.
    We are not allowed to have 2 of the same support to put on your dupe character.  Why?  
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2019
    tiomono said:
    We are not allowed to have 2 of the same support to put on your dupe character.  Why?  
    I still think it is working as intended.

If you allow dupe supports then you have the 3x Atlantis problem mentioned  earlier. 

If you make an assigned support apply to all dupes of a character then you can’t have a version with one support and a second with another. Becomes problematic when you have dupes at different builds, levels, and maybe serving different purposes. It also breaks the one per character rule. 

Idk how you allow dupe supports that can only apply to dupe characters and not any other characters. I imagine a 370 4* Grocket with a 4* Milano. And a 10 cover dupe where you assign your 2* Milano. Then you try and put the Milano on Gamora (for some reason)  and what... get a pop up saying, “you cannot swap this support unless you remove all versions from all supported characters”. Without that coded in you can exploit it and put dupes on whoever you want. Unless I’m missing something this is probably more work than we think. And like I said, is likely working as intended. 
  • tiomono
    edited March 2019
    tiomono said:
    I still think it is working as intended.

If you allow dupe supports then you have the 3x Atlantis problem mentioned  earlier. 

If you make an assigned support apply to all dupes of a character then you can’t have a version with one support and a second with another. Becomes problematic when you have dupes at different builds, levels, and maybe serving different purposes. It also breaks the one per character rule. 

Idk how you allow dupe supports that can only apply to dupe characters and not any other characters. I imagine a 370 4* Grocket with a 4* Milano. And a 10 cover dupe where you assign your 2* Milano. Then you try and put the Milano on Gamora (for some reason)  and what... get a pop up saying, “you cannot swap this support unless you remove all versions from all supported characters”. Without that coded in you can exploit it and put dupes on whoever you want. Unless I’m missing something this is probably more work than we think. And like I said, is likely working as intended. 
    But they dont want dupe supports. They want to put that 4* milano on one groot and have it magically apply to every champed groot they own at the same time. Which shouldn't need to be explained why thats a no.

Edit: it does seem rockett wants multiples of one support. It looked like the wording to me that smokeyjoe wanted application of one support across dupe characters.