Asgardian Armor Bundle (2/21/19)

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Why does Valkyrie get new hair & make up but Okoye can't get shoes?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Costumes could be earnable via placement for 1* to 3* characters. :o
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint said:
    Or a wig
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint said:
    Or a wig
    Which she threw away when she got her spear out to fight. Seriously, it's in the movie. She's not supposed to have the wig in the costume.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby when are these costumes going to be “earnable” besides using my ITunes password?   We were told that we would be able to “earn” them so how and when?  
    Totally earnable.  You work hard, go to school, go to college, get a degree, then get a job.  Then work at that job two to three hours.  Use that money to purchase the costume.  #earned #workingasintended #costumesaredumb #notearnablewithingame
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    I stand corrected that she is not played much.  I never see her in PVP and I don't use her at all so I wrongly assumed others didn't use her.  That said, it is still an insanely pricey deal for what you get.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I stand corrected that she is not played much.  I never see her in PVP and I don't use her at all so I wrongly assumed others didn't use her.  That said, it is still an insanely pricey deal for what you get.
    I assume your MMR is too low to see many Okoye teams. You see plenty of them at the fivestar level, I assure you.
  • PseudoSherlock
    PseudoSherlock Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    I think they passed up a great chance to use the comic version of Valkyrie instead of another version of the boring movie Valkyrie. That could have actually widened her appeal. Disgusting price point aside...
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    I assume your MMR is too low to see many Okoye teams. You see plenty of them at the fivestar level, I assure you.
    We're talking about Valkyrie here.
  • LavaManLee
    Bowgentle said:
    Quebbster said:
    We're talking about Valkyrie here.
    Bingo.  I see PLENTY of Okoye.  But never Valkyrie.
  • thechairman
    thechairman Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I got it. Not because it was a good deal, but it let me grab a second 10-pack of the Wakanda vault before it left, which got me the 3* RTF (my target), a Shuri Cover, and the Okoye costume. I'm satisfied.
  • Kahmon
    Kahmon Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    I think they passed up a great chance to use the comic version of Valkyrie instead of another version of the boring movie Valkyrie. That could have actually widened her appeal. Disgusting price point aside...
    There is nothing preventing them from giving a character more than 1 costume.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Aside from the price of most of these costumes and their availability, that's my biggest gripe with costumes. So many of them are just boring. Lady Deadpool, Superior Ock, and Red Goblin are the only ones that really take advantage of what they could be. Comparatively, Okoye got a dress, Luke Cage got jorts, and Thor and Valkyrie got different costumes from the same movie.

Give me 70's Luke Cage, Kirby Thor, comic Valkyrie, and...to be honest, I got nothing for Okoye, but how about Black Panther Shuri? Really play around with it.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    STOPTHIS said:
    Aside from the price of most of these costumes and their availability, that's my biggest gripe with costumes. So many of them are just boring. Lady Deadpool, Superior Ock, and Red Goblin are the only ones that really take advantage of what they could be. Comparatively, Okoye got a dress, Luke Cage got jorts, and Thor and Valkyrie got different costumes from the same movie.

Give me 70's Luke Cage, Kirby Thor, comic Valkyrie, and...to be honest, I got nothing for Okoye, but how about Black Panther Shuri? Really play around with it.
    I'm pretty sure that if there was a Beta Ray Bill skin for Thor, interest would be huge. No doubt though it would be another $75 nonsense price.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    I understand Thor and Valkyrie, they got iconic looks that largely didn't appear in the trailers leading up to the movie. Both characters were welcome in MPQ because of the movie, but the instant you see the movie, you wonder why the MPQ characters couldn't look like their appearances in the final act. A similar easy candidate for a costume would be Spidey's homemade suit from Homecoming. They're not as inventive as Superior Octopus or Lady Deadpool, but they make sense. 

As for Beta Ray Bill, if he's a skin and not a unique character, people might riot.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:

As for Beta Ray Bill, if he's a skin and not a unique character, people might riot.
    People will riot anyway when they see the price point.
  • Bugeyed
    Bugeyed Posts: 51 Match Maker
    I think the biggest thing the devs are missing here is costumes should come with some extra ability/power boost. Armour/capes etc should reduce damage, or create protect tiles each turn, other clothing items could come in such as belts or weapons that give new powers to a character they don’t already have. You could even introduce more than one item a character could equip. The point in comics and movies, of a hero wearing something is often that it gives the characters new or improves already held powers, take strange with his orb as an example,  so devs, why not make these costumes incredibly popular by making them practical and a boost to the game. With supports added already, making costume items also boost characters, together, you can take a maxed champed hero to a greater level with both additions meaning even a 1* could go beyond their current limits and people would moan about the cost, then willingly pay to boost their maxed out hero anyway
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,691 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Bugeyed said:
    I think the biggest thing the devs are missing here is costumes should come with some extra ability/power boost. Armour/capes etc should reduce damage, or create protect tiles each turn, other clothing items could come in such as belts or weapons that give new powers to a character they don’t already have. You could even introduce more than one item a character could equip. The point in comics and movies, of a hero wearing something is often that it gives the characters new or improves already held powers, take strange with his orb as an example,  so devs, why not make these costumes incredibly popular by making them practical and a boost to the game. With supports added already, making costume items also boost characters, together, you can take a maxed champed hero to a greater level with both additions meaning even a 1* could go beyond their current limits and people would moan about the cost, then willingly pay to boost their maxed out hero anyway
    Costumes are following the tradition of Fortnite which has tons of cosmetic purchases in the game that do nothing for your character, but made them like a billion dollars last year.  (That's not an exaggeration, I'm just not sure of the exact amount.  Basically one billion dollars.)

MPQ has only rarely directly sold you anything that will improve your character in any way (bundles are basically it) and everything else is just RNG rolls of the dice (have some CP with your costume, etc).  If you buy some covers that obviously nominally improves your character (but just a 2, 3 or 4*) and they have sold like 4-5 direct supports in those bundles, back in the chain bundle offers.  But nothing that's giving you a big advantage over other players, just accelerating your progress a little.

If your biggest beef with costumes is they cost a lot but give you no benefit (one can analyze the bundled resources in different ways), well, that's kind of the point.  They are a way to stand out from the thousands of other people using Thor or whoever but not otherwise upset the balance of the game.  I can only imagine how much it would cost to directly buy an item that gave you a permanent advantage over other players by altering the powers/abilities of a character.  You'd probably be complaining about spending $200 or more without all the side CP, HP, etc.  That might even be way too cheap for what you're thinking about.

And you're also describing a very direct pay to win model that would both fly in the face of the game's design and push away a lot of players who aren't willing to spend $200+  on some costume, even if it gave Thor reduced damage or whatever, and would therefore be at a permanent disadvantage and start quitting to leave the remaining whales to fight amongst themselves.
  • LavaManLee
    I am going to oversimplify this but I believe that costumes are a generational thing and us "older" gamers really don't care for them or need them but "younger" gamers really do.  I think about my daughter and how we differed playing Fallout 3.  I could care less what my character looked like and just wanted to play.  She spent hours making the perfect looking character for her that did nothing for gaming but she liked how the character looks.  It matters to her.

The above post is spot on.  Fortnite knows this as does Overwatch, etc.  Costumes matter to some people and to others (like me) it's a giant shrug of the shoulders.