Poll (+Discussion): Do you want to be able to use Supports in PVP?

13»

Comments

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    No
    It almost feels like they implimented this and didn't think through how it could work for PvP.
    I think that they most certainly have thought this through -- and very carefully. That is why it isn't in PvP now and they're tweaking things slowly, taking time to see how people react, getting the code debugged, etc.

All things considered, I would give props to the D3 team and say that this is the one area of the supports rollout that they have done extremely well.* I appreciate their caution.

*The art is frequently very cool, too.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes: on offense only
    I voted for offense only.

Mostly because it would increase the number of usable teams besides the handful seen in 4* land (where I reside) and Gritty/Thorkoye in 5* land.

That in turn leads to more target variety and since there would be no supports on defense it won't make it any more difficult to decide whether to hit a team or not.

KGB

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    KGB said:
    I voted for offense only.

Mostly because it would increase the number of usable teams besides the handful seen in 4* land (where I reside) and Gritty/Thorkoye in 5* land.

That in turn leads to more target variety and since there would be no supports on defense it won't make it any more difficult to decide whether to hit a team or not.

KGB

Well, let's say I'm climbing in PVP with Gritty and queue a 4* team of Vulture + Chavez for 20 points.  I think to myself, that would be an easy win, but if they have a 5*Tinkerer support (which gives them 6 Black AP at the start for Vulture to go airborne and quickly remove my strikes) then I shouldn't attack them for 20 points because they could easily retaliate for 40 points. 

So, if supports were offense only, you still need to be careful who you attack because they could retaliate with the help of supports.  Those weaker teams now that don't retaliate, may start to if they can use supports.  The only "safe" target in PVP is someone with more points than you, because even if they retaliate, it's still a net gain (unless you climb higher than them by the time they retaliate). 
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
     Voted yes on offense if it has to be forced upon us.. but I’m perfectly fine with them never going to PvP

Ever

• Sabaton74
    Sabaton74 Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2019
    @MrBowers I totally support supports in pvp. And I hear yall who are discouraged at the thought of facing them. Mr Bowers this suggestion "points lower who use" is the perfect balancer, kudos. 

People who are interested in progress(myself building 4*s) would be able to bring their competition eventually. 

People who grind the 2k points really wouldn't need them anyways.

Hyper swipe vets on victory tap scroll: gah, I forgot to unequip...  ::tappity tap::

full points, fresh air.
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    I think supports on offense only should be fun, and let you hit teams you might otherwise stuggle against.  Selfishly, I also get used to some effects, and am wondering why they didn't fire - oh, right, i'm in pvp. 

I don't like sports on defense for the slowdown aspect.  I don't know what most do at various ranks and I don't want to read them all.   I already devote more memory to this game than I should.  I put one on a character (usually the intended match,  when the is one) and if good things happen, yay.

There will always be disparity in who has what support at what level, but we all have different rosters at different levels, so I don't see this as an argument against. 

I would like to see a pilot of this during an off season or a short season.  Ideally, I would love to see a choice of supports yes/no at entry, like choosing shield rank.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    No
     Voted yes on offense if it has to be forced upon us.. but I’m perfectly fine with them never going to PvP

Ever

I voted no, but I concur that it should be an offense only situation if it has to be forced upon us.  My only concern is that the support arms race is a different animal than the super max champed meta arms race.