Poll (+Discussion): Do you want to be able to use Supports in PVP?

Comments

• Warbeast_7
    Warbeast_7 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Supports, what's that?
    Dormammu said:
    no one cares about supports
    Based on players passionate pleas for more access to them here on the forums, I'm going to disagree.
    lol I have never even used one. Never thought about using them. Never will unless they make them as accessible as say a 3* character. Until then I will not give them a second thought. 
  • MrBowers
    MrBowers Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    No
    No just because it would make it unfair. I wouldn’t mind opponents having them in pve so it gives pve a bit more variety and makes it slightly more challenging 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes: on offense only
    Offense only.  As many have stated, I dont want things to go slower.  If I have to check what supports the opponent is using, that's a major slowdown for each match.  

Keep it easy.  Offense only.  Plus you might be able to reach up a bit higher and snatch a win from someone who is normally out of reach.  

As for those that say they want more challenge or variation from PvE by giving supports to enemies...  isnt this the same forum that talks about QoL, and how quick they can burn through the requisite amount of nodes each day?  You add supports in there, it will get longer.  I'm sure I dont want that. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    No
    No no no.  Very simple why.  Right now I can play PVE and get 11 AP of green from the start.  Boost 2 green AP and have 13 AP before I make a move.  I have had many 0 move wins that it shocks me.  

Now ow I PVP this wouldn’t give you a 0 move win but would totally upset the balance of PVP.  Add in the fact of the Infinity Stones that a very select few work together to make sure they get these and keep them away from anybody that challenges them, it would be ugly.  

As suggested before, if this is something they would want to test, do it in Lightning Rounds first. Get feed back and then adjust.  
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

Absolutely, unequivocally, unquestionably NO to allowing defending team to use them. That could make PVP a borderline nightmare.

As for offense, sure. I would rather they weren't, but I wouldn't hate it if they were.

• Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2019
    No
    I am a no, but offense-only (plus maybe random on defense) seems likely — for sure it would lead to a dramatic increase in the use of shields. More HP demand = revenue driver. 
  • RPIJG
    RPIJG Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    No
    Nope.  You think it's bad now, someone will roll in with a full set of green AP first turn and thor ends the match before your team ever makes a match.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    No
    Hard pass.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes: both on offense and defense
    Dormammu said:
    no one cares about supports
    Based on players passionate pleas for more access to them here on the forums, I'm going to disagree.
    lol I have never even used one. Never thought about using them. Never will unless they make them as accessible as say a 3* character. Until then I will not give them a second thought. 
    So it would have been more accurate to say that you don't care about supports. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • MrBowers
    MrBowers Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    No
    If they were added, players that  were to use them the points received should they win be lower than wins without
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2019

Now ow I PVP this wouldn’t give you a 0 move win but would totally upset the balance of PVP.  Add in the fact of the Infinity Stones that a very select few work together to make sure they get these and keep them away from anybody that challenges them, it would be ugly.   

Honest question, how would this change from how it already is?  Those at the top, in both pve and pvp, have the tools in place to stay there.  I don't see this as absolutely upsetting the apple cart.  If anything, it would allow more people to "punch up," this mean more people in the pvp mix.  Anything that increases player count and interaction in the pvp realm should be good, right?  People already avoid pvp altogether, or quit after certain thresholds.  

No offense, but most of us don't have the ability to pull off the zero turn win, so using yourself as a baseline to say "no" is the equivalent of the other guy who said "no one cares about supports" because "lol I have never even used one."  Look at it from the point of everyone else, and let me know what i, and others, may be missing.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I think it’s funny how people are saying no because supports in pvp would be “unfair” then use a 5* example to prove their point. Anyone using a champ Okoye against my 3 cover Okoye is equally unfair but I’m not out here saying Okoye shouldn’t be allowed in pvp. Complaining about supports on defence because it would slow things down is equally laughable. MPQ would be immeasurably improved if gameplay was slowed down across the board. There are a huge number of abilities and combos that are only viable in longer matches (that almost never happen outside of balance of power) many of which would be helped by supports. Why in a game where we can have as many as 12 active powers are we satisfied with matches that can end after 1 or 2? I support supports. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it’s funny how people are saying no because supports in pvp would be “unfair” then use a 5* example to prove their point. Anyone using a champ Okoye against my 3 cover Okoye is equally unfair but I’m not out here saying Okoye shouldn’t be allowed in pvp. Complaining about supports on defence because it would slow things down is equally laughable. MPQ would be immeasurably improved if gameplay was slowed down across the board. There are a huge number of abilities and combos that are only viable in longer matches (that almost never happen outside of balance of power) many of which would be helped by supports. Why in a game where we can have as many as 12 active powers are we satisfied with matches that can end after 1 or 2? I support supports. 
    People aren’t talking about in-match play slowing down, but out of match play via checking each support, who it’s on l, what it does, etc. 

I say “offense only”, only for the fact that I want to champ Thor and Kitty and would do so if I could pop supports on Okoye and Daredevil to let them tank lol. 
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    No
    If the system was implimented differently then I'd say yes.

but I've got Okoye's 4* support and that would give me a significant advantage. Occasional free TU, cheaper powers...anyone without that is playing at a handicap. It adds more RNG on top of RNG. and trying to figure out what supports the enemy has and at what power level on top of everything else is a huge burdon.

It almost feels like they implimented this and didn't think through how it could work for PvP.

If there were more set ways to earn supports or if the entire structure for how supports work was different it might have been more viable.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think they still need to up the availability on them. But I would love to use what I have in versus as well as story. 

Until they normalize 5* match damage like every other tier supports are very useful for determining who tanks certain colors. Without supports the majority of newer 5* characters will always tank over similarly leveled older characters.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have no opinion either way, just amazed this topic is at 2 pages and Broll hasn't posted yet.  :D
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Saying no is strictly a selfish reason.

I want more variety in pvp... As of now it's incredibly stale and sporadic. I enjoyed it more when Gambit plus one dominated everything...

Pvp is just pve on a shorter timer.... Defense teams should be as viable as offensive teams even if it shakes up the economy or meta.

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Other
    I voted other because I just realized I haven't played a PvP event in 3 weeks.  It wasn't a conscious choice, I just didn't have time for them and eventually they just got dropped from my schedule ot "things to do".  Now that I've realized it... I don't feel like I've lost anything and actually feel kinda better.

Wow... sometimes epiphanies happen over the weirdest things...
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Other
    NotBAMF said:

Absolutely, unequivocally, unquestionably NO to allowing defending team to use them. That could make PVP a borderline nightmare.

As for offense, sure. I would rather they weren't, but I wouldn't hate it if they were.

Just thinking about it, if I was still playing PvP with any regularity, I'd say allowing them on defense might shake the meta up a bit and you'd see more defense teams beside Thorkoye and Gritty.

However, they' probably have to revamp the scoring system, because winning on offense might become a bit harder.