Poll (+Discussion): Do you want to be able to use Supports in PVP?

jtsings
jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
  This subject has been touched on in other forum posts already.  But since Supports are becoming, at least marginally, more available:  I think many might be interested in a discussion about what you think would be good or bad about using Supports in PVP?  Please feel free to discuss whichever option you chose.

Poll (+Discussion): Do you want to be able to use Supports in PVP? 160 votes

Yes: both on offense and defense
14%
DormammuthedarkphoenixdivounesteakleatherzeddicusTrilateralusrdvargas1BasepuzzlerLLohmtph_jamesJHawkIncbonny79slabagrobertbahFraggleinPAFriarbundyPolly_P1Projectus2501Pyram7jp1 23 votes
Yes: on offense only
25%
T_REZ5000GrimSkaldwymtimemoss04TiggidaLukoilSpudguttertiomonoTwomp_thaDJDaredevil217SNKAllenKGBStraycatBobby_LishezMadScientistbbiglerReecohCoubiicrackninjaTeam_Jacob 40 votes
Yes: on defense only
1%
PalookavilleAres76 2 votes
No
52%
Dragon_NexusOzarkBoatswainPorkBellyantreas1911KolenceWonko33sinnerjflfirethornerixmithBowgentlekillercooltrat73xKOBALTxIridiousDeNappaMagicMrBowersStevO-JZootSaxUNC_Samurai 84 votes
Not sure
0%
Hilk 1 vote
I don't have enough Supports to make an informed decision
2%
HistamielDAZ0273Scuba193Aquatrism 4 votes
Supports, what's that?
1%
PongieWarbeast_7 2 votes
Other
2%
abmorazArctic_One[Deleted User]rg72 4 votes

Comments

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    If supports were offense only, then you could hit above your weight making people think twice about hitting weaker rosters who have less points than them. Plus, you could hit stronger rosters with more points than you. I think the end result would be a somewhat leveling out effect bringing the average PVP score up, but I could be wrong. 

Plus, enabling supports in PVP make them more worthwhile to chase after. It also creates a greater variety of competitive teams. More gameplay mechanics creates more possibilities and more competitive teams, which is more variety for everyone. 
  • FraggleinPA
    FraggleinPA Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    One of the most frustrating things for me about PvP is the monotony... too many Thorokoye or Gritty teams.  If it is truly Player vs. Player, I think allowing supports will force players to look at who they are attacking more closely before blindly attacking them.  I agree with earlier comments made about percentages not being the same as boosts.  But I also agree with the comment made about how the devs have gone through considerable effort to make supports more available in the game (and offering new supports on a consistent basis).  I am all for “shaking things up” to make things truly competitive and less “routine”.  Plus - supports may give offensive players the edge they need in a battle (or defensive players when the AI is playing for them).
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    No
    No.
    Because they're pointless.

Nobody will care what supports people might have on defense, because it's still points that decide whether a team is worth attacking.
    A support activates and wipes you?
    Tough luck, can happen with cascades too.

The people who think supports will shake up anything are badly mistaken.
    It'll be the same as now, with maybe a few more bad wipes, especially if people find out that the team they're grilling on has a bad support.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a collection of mostly not very good Supports and so I decided to vote for that option so it wasn't lonely.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think they just gave everyone a shot at the RTF and Okoye/Thor out of the generosity of their hearts.

I'm happy with supports in PVP either on offense or both.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    First turn Vulture Battery or IM40 Battery... Increased match damage...
    Increased Critical Damage...
    First turn AoE or power...
    First turn invisibility...

Sign me up... For both parties as well.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    The obvious thing seems to be - do a test, in off season.

I'd give it a go.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    No
    I don't see a need to make a change from the way things are now regarding supports.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Enemy teams can't use ap boosts, and can only use a random team up. Going off that precedent, I don't see why enemy teams should use supports.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    No
    I'm not sure about offense, but definitely no for defense.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    I wouldn't mind a Support Circuit PVP, similar to the Support Circuit PVE; or as previously mentioned a specific off-season PVP event that consistently ran between seasons. I'm not sure the UI is anything like good enough to facilitate a general roll-out across all events. While I was sitting there looking at who is equipped with what support before a match, what it did, etc., I'd probably get hit and docked points 4-5 times lol.

At first I was thinking maybe they should only let them be used in Simulator, since it's outside the boost list, but then I thought that might not be a good move simply because Simulator is the only place where you can go to have a pure roster-to-roster fight without boosts getting in the way. 

Should supports get a boost list of their own? Should there be a support that adds a character to the boost list regardless of who else is on it?
  • Warbeast_7
    Warbeast_7 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Supports, what's that?
    no one cares about supports
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    no one cares about supports
    Based on players passionate pleas for more access to them here on the forums, I'm going to disagree.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    No
    I'd just be another more extreme Pay to Win.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I don't think supports will have a huge impact on PVP, it's another factor in the fight and another thing you should check before engaging with another team.  That gets pretty cumbersome pretty quickly.  I think if supports enter PVP at all, it should be offense only.