Kitty Pryde feeders?

Options

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After the Disney-Fox deal is finalize, which is expected to be completed before June, there could be more tie-ins?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,770 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I could be misremembering but I think the extent we got of any cross-promotion Iin the last few years was they ran the Children of the Atom PvP for Logan and Deadpool v MPQ for Deadpool 2.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm inclined to think Nightcrawler will be her feeder, since they were both in Excalibur together as well as the X-Men. Also I have a much better Nighcrawler than I do any of the other 4* X-Folks save Rogue, who I still suspect is going to be the Gambit feeder, so that one would work out best for me personally lol.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I guess i had that realization when 4* Lord lost out to Drax for feeding 5* Lord, but I still have hope
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I have a guy in my ally with 16 saved cover for Kitty, another one at a 3/3/11 build, another one at 5/2/12 build.  It is insane how many bad builds there are now.  
    RNG is RNG.  I've got 3 different 5*s at 4/4/4 with no saved covers, one of them is Kitty..  
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    You probably need to wait till X-Men: Dark Phoenix is released before Kitty's feeder is out. It's going to be another 4 months wait. Hopefully, this is where Gambit, Archangel, Kitty get their feeders.
    MPQ doesn't really promote the X-men Movies, at least not directly. At least we can get new X-men characters now...
    Movie rights and game rights are 2 separate worlds. This game has always had X-Men related characters. There is no magical barrier being removed because of movie deals.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Quebbster said:
    You probably need to wait till X-Men: Dark Phoenix is released before Kitty's feeder is out. It's going to be another 4 months wait. Hopefully, this is where Gambit, Archangel, Kitty get their feeders.
    MPQ doesn't really promote the X-men Movies, at least not directly. At least we can get new X-men characters now...
    Movie rights and game rights are 2 separate worlds. This game has always had X-Men related characters. There is no magical barrier being removed because of movie deals.
    It was a little more complicated than that when it came to the X-Men. It is not untrue that there are zero X-Men in the game based on their movie counterparts and that the flow of mutant-related characters had slowed to less than a trickle prior to Rogue (which was also, not coincidentally, right around the time Marvel decided to give up on trying to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans).

Though I suspect MPQ will not be promoting either Dark Phoenix nor The New Mutants film, being that they are in no way backed/affiliated/profited by Marvel or Disney.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    DP2 came out after that tipping point, and we didn't get anything from that right away. We eventually got comics-accurate Domino and Cable, but it didn't coincide witn any deadpool movie related dates that I'm aware of. Not like the MCU proper movies, that always get events and characters to go with them.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Quebbster said:
    I don't think anyone is claiming that Marvel can't license X-Men characters for games.  The issue is that this game (as with most of the mobile Marvel games) is used as a promotion tool for various film and comic events.  In that sense, the promotions have mostly been limited to things Disney has full control of.
    That could change once the Fox/Disney merger completes, but it's not clear when that will happen.  Until then, there isn't much incentive for Disney to increase Fox's valuation.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    tiomono said:
    Quebbster said:
    It was a little more complicated than that when it came to the X-Men. It is not untrue that there are zero X-Men in the game based on their movie counterparts and that the flow of mutant-related characters had slowed to less than a trickle prior to Rogue (which was also, not coincidentally, right around the time Marvel decided to give up on trying to replace the X-Men with the Inhumans).

Though I suspect MPQ will not be promoting either Dark Phoenix nor The New Mutants film, being that they are in no way backed/affiliated/profited by Marvel or Disney.
    There were definitely some marketing shenanigans downplaying X-Men back in the day (most notably when they straight up removed X-Men from classic comic covers when making new merchandise). But they did that to the Fantastic Four as well. And if they had been maintaining that "boycott" of sorts we wouldn't have had a lot of classic characters that have been in the game for ages (early 4's like X-Force Wolverine and Invisible Woman, for example; as a side note, prior to the recent F4 celebration MPQ was basically the only mobile game that already had the Fantastic Four, which makes me wonder if this "boycott" thing is the reason they weren't included in the numerous other games?)

Even then, I don't think that marketing strategy (where they were trying to downplay properties owned by Fox and were trying to promote others like the Inhumans that were still wholly "in house") is responsible for the trickle of X-Men we had between Phoenix and Rogue. We definitely had a 21-month gap with no X-Men, but I think it comes from over-saturation just prior to the gap. Phoenix, X-23, Old Man Logan, Cyclops, Iceman, with RHulk and Surfer there were 5/7 in a row that were X-Men. And that year also had X-Force Deadpool, Teen Jean, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Professor X, and the 3* Cyclops. When three 5*s were out and two of them were X-Men, people complained that there were too many X-Men, and the devs dialed back (when you consider they probably had the next few months planned already, and then they dialed back, and then we had a gap, and then people started asking for more, and THEN they made plans to dump some on us at Anniversary, with the pace these devs normally move it makes sense it took that long to get more X-Men out).

The biggest indicator that this is the case (rather than it having anything to do with the "boo X-Men, yay Inhumans" shenanigans going on elsewhere with Marvel) is that it happened with Spidey characters immediately after. Following Phoenix we had Miles, Eddie, Back in Black, Nova, Gwen, and then Goblin, and people complained about 5/6 of those being Spidey people back to back (and Venom Bomb didn't help that agitation any). Then it was 16 months before we got another Spidey character. That gap was only 5 months shorter, and I think the difference is that Spidey got pushed early for the MCU (summer of Spidey, where we got Ock, Sandman, Vulture, and Parker in a row), and X-Men got pushed late to launch them at Anniversary (Rogue, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Archangel/Angel).

So yeah, I don't think that large gap of X-Men had anything to do with any Fox stuff. But the fact that there are no "Fox X-Men" versions of characters in the game, and that they've never promoted any Fox movies other than indirectly (maybe the closest related event in-game, but definitely no ad mentioning the movie itself), are both pretty solid pointers that X-Men Dark Phoenix and New Mutants won't really have any influence on MPQ schedules.

(side note: Professor X up in Sin6 rewards, and in PVP placement rewards, characters aren't often available in both outside of feeder updates, seems like a strong indicator SOMEONE is getting a feeder this week or next, just wonder who it'll be?)
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One other thing: you're unlikely to see "movie versions" of any X-Men characters like we've seen for Avengers.  Anything the third party studios add when they've licensed Marvel characters is owned by that studio.  So Marvel/Disney isn't in a position to license those elements to game developers.
    We did get movie versions of Spider-Man and Vulture, but that seems to be the exception due to the close collaboration on that film (and there was a reference to Columbia's copyright in old startup screens on the game around that release).
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Quebbster said:
    For a time, Marvel was on an X-Men blackout. While Fox owns the movie rights, Marvel still owns the merchandising rights. It's why you never saw any action figures, lunch boxes, colouring books or flame throwers bearing the X-men brand when new movies came out.

Likewise the game was light on X-men for a long time.

The theory was Marvel were trying to devalue the X-men franchise because for a while Fox were making drek like X3, X-Men Origins Wolverine and the oft stalled/postponed/cancelled Gambit movie. If the property was suddenly not worth keeping, maybe Fox would give it up. But then X-men First Class happened. And Days of Future Past was also really good. And Logan. And Apoc-....well maybe not that so much. Basically Marvel's plan didn't work, so if you can't beat 'em...eat 'em.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Quebbster said:
    For a time, Marvel was on an X-Men blackout. While Fox owns the movie rights, Marvel still owns the merchandising rights. It's why you never saw any action figures, lunch boxes, colouring books or flame throwers bearing the X-men brand when new movies came out.

Likewise the game was light on X-men for a long time.

The theory was Marvel were trying to devalue the X-men franchise because for a while Fox were making drek like X3, X-Men Origins Wolverine and the oft stalled/postponed/cancelled Gambit movie. If the property was suddenly not worth keeping, maybe Fox would give it up. But then X-men First Class happened. And Days of Future Past was also really good. And Logan. And Apoc-....well maybe not that so much. Basically Marvel's plan didn't work, so if you can't beat 'em...eat 'em.
    You've got to pay attention to the dates on those things, though. The "blackout" was in full swing and died down before MPQ ever came out. X3 to First Class was 2006 to 2011. MPQ came out in 2013. Articles talking about X-Men (and F4, it applied to them too) being absent from merchandise was all early 2015. The huge gap in MPQ's X-Men lineup was early 2016 to late 2017. MPQ launched with X-Men, multiples of Storm/Wolverine/Mags, then adding Beast, Psylocke, Colossus, Mystique, Deadpool, Daken, Human Torch, Invisible Woman, and another Storm/Wolverine each. When people started noticing the blackout, MPQ was clearly not part of it. And about the time those articles started coming out, MPQ was diving into a new wave of X-Men characters (starting with 3* Cyclops and Professor X, and running through the next year, including Thing and Mr. Fantastic along the way).

All evidence points to Marvel's blackout on properties with movie rights tied to Fox having absolutely no effect on Marvel Puzzle Quest. Because MPQ was releasing characters under the blackout DURING the blackout, and MPQ's gap with those characters didn't come until years later.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So yeah they are not really promoting xmen movies, but they are still doing comic versions of the characters. When I quoted someone saying "now we can get new xmen characters" I was pointing out we have always had xmen characters. And were continuing to get them even with the movie studio shenanegins.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    They were still debuting Xmen characters, but their pvp events were run at a lesser rate.  This was at least the case during the vaulting period in 2017. 
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    4* Ugly John confirmed
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I definitely thinkk Prof. X is going to be feeding some 5 star, seeing him as rewards for both PVP and PVE in shrt succession.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    tiomono said:
    So yeah they are not really promoting xmen movies, but they are still doing comic versions of the characters. When I quoted someone saying "now we can get new xmen characters" I was pointing out we have always had xmen characters. And were continuing to get them even with the movie studio shenanegins.
    There was a long period of time were X-men characters were definitely not being released. They even more or less confirmed it when shortly before the announcement of the Disney buyout of Fox they released several highly requested X-men characters in rapid succession (Rogue, Gambit, Nightcrawler) and had an X-men themed logo/event (initial Apocalypse event). I believe they even said something about the triumphant return of X-men.  

Its also well documented one of the top Disney executives went out of his way to not do fox movie properties in any form if avoidable. Hence the cancellation of and now re-release of The Fantastic 4. 
  • MushroomGenius808
    MushroomGenius808 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2019
    Options

...................... blame Ike Perlmutter.