Comments

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options
    if really like to know how many people buy that
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Everyone's price point of what they will pay for stuff in the game is different.  A lot of people (most) say $0.  Next tier is probably the $2 for Bonus rewards,  then VIP, and on up.

So of course a lot of people have no interest in spending $75 on anything in the game (I have never gone above $49.99, myself.)

That said, some feel the game is worth spending significant money on.  Whales who have level 550 5's etc.  Even those who dabble in Stark buy clubs (say 1-2 a month), which is a lot of money but still far short of what's needed to truly whale 5's.

When 5's were introduced, of course they were very tight with them.  There was 1 5, then a few more.  So really, 39 covers early on was all you needed.  Now, as I said, we are up to 403.  Dilution makes covers harder to get and simultaneously makes each cover less valuable since your total need is so large.  You have 10x the odds of pulling a specific 5 (say, Kitty) in Latest than you do in Classic (say, you want more BSSM because Kitty is frustrating you).

The problem is that the tier is so large that it is basically an insurmountable obstacle for a new player to ever complete a significant amount of the older 5's.  But the developers can't open the spigot of 5 covers since they remain the ultimate carrot.  This has been true for a while but the problem just keeps growing with every new 5.

Anyway:  A small way to address the dilution issue would be to sell the occasional cover at a higher price point, like $75.  And I know people like randomness etc so they thought the tokens would appeal more.  Maybe you'll get 5 5's!  But other people would have jumped on the deal with a cover who are laughing at it now, I suspect.  

• RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Let's face it, many more people bought the Thor costume deal than I thought would be sold. Of course, 5*Thor is played over 100x more often than Goblin, so I doubt we'll see many of these out in the wild. Hopefully they will analyze the sales data, and decide to reduce the package price and contents to make it 'more affordable to the average buying-player'. 
    I won't be getting this one, but I would if it was around $25 for 3K or more HP, the costume, and maybe 1 of the special LT's. Honestly, I think that a reduced package at around $25 would sell more than 3x this larger $75 deal.

Let's not let this spoil the fact that we appreciate the potential for more special 5* character stores like Masked Vengeance. Very good idea to keep stores like this running, and to give us advanced notice as others have mentioned (and better timing around other stores). 
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Simply, the people that would balk at purchasing the new Red Goblin package are not the target audience.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    They've been tight since day 1 and they'll be tight until the game is shut down so not a chance in hell they give away a cover with the deal. 
    Which is sort of strange as the costume is useless without a cover. A new player with cash to burn is far more likely to go for this with one cover in the bag already and the possibility of getting more from the tokens.

Why close off spending to potential new Whales?
    This is D3 we are talking about here. They've always made strange decisions. 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Again don’t see an issue or a problem here. It’s not for me and it’s not pay to win so I lose nothing and they gain nothing.

The people that buy it help keep the lights on for the rest of us. I said in the last thread I was surprised how many lower causal looking rosters I see with the thor cover, so clearly the numbers made sense for them to do it again.

If the £70 deal gave them an in game advantage I might care but it offers them nothing over what spenders already get so I’m happy for them to knock one of these out every other day if they like and claw in money to keep the game going.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Options
    People who buy this are the same people who buy $5000 Rolex's or $250K Ferrari's. 

It's a status symbol.

Those who buy it *don't* want every Tom, D*ck and Harry to also be able to afford it. It's the same thing with Infinity Stone Supports. Those are status symbols that advertise you were a season winner.

KGB
  • tfcrazy1980
    tfcrazy1980 Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Well how are they gonna pay for the server upgrades for their next project?
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    Options
    KGB said:
    People who buy this are the same people who buy $5000 Rolex's or $250K Ferrari's.
    I'd figure Rolexes start in the 7-8K range and Ferraris at 300K

Just saying
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Luxury items exist in this world for the simple reason that some have disposable income. This is just a luxury item, has no impact on game-play at all.  If you buy it because gobby is one of your favorites, or if you don't because that is more then you would typically spend on anything at all  is not the point whatsoever.  All the hemming and hawing in the world won't make the bundle terribly useful in the meta of the current game, it does add something nifty to enhance your own gameplay if you so choose, which is something many games do not offer, and i personally think is nice, since i use gobby quite a bit (not a whale, but i spend way way too much on comic books according to my wife).  (side note, this is a post as me, not as mod)
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'll have 3....
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No thanks.
  • GraysunD
    GraysunD Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I personally don't mind seeing deals like this in the game and I would actually like to see more of them on a weekly basis to be honest. Offers like this aren't for me so I won't be buying it but it's nice to give players who do want to spend more money on the game more offers on a regular basis. I think that's healthy for the game. I don't really care about costumes but others apparently like them so why not. What I like most about this offer though is a special store attached to it with 3 classic 5-stars in it. I've requested this a lot in the past in surveys and if I had CP I would spend it on special stores like this that give me a chance to cover older 5-stars that I rarely get the opportunity to get covers for. I hope this becomes a regular thing and they do more offers with special 5-star stores like this in the future.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,563 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So my Steam account charges me 57.99 GBP, while my Android account asks for a whopping 70.99 GBP!
    Anybody has a bigger discrepancy?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof said:
    Luxury items exist in this world for the simple reason that some have disposable income. This is just a luxury item, has no impact on game-play at all.  If you buy it because gobby is one of your favorites, or if you don't because that is more then you would typically spend on anything at all  is not the point whatsoever.  All the hemming and hawing in the world won't make the bundle terribly useful in the meta of the current game, it does add something nifty to enhance your own gameplay if you so choose, which is something many games do not offer, and i personally think is nice, since i use gobby quite a bit (not a whale, but i spend way way too much on comic books according to my wife).  (side note, this is a post as me, not as mod)
    I think the point is, we don't find anything at all luxurious about some PNG's, so the luxury price tag isn't warranted.  I've paid for skins in other games, even other Marvel phone games.  But, they were in on the order of $1 to $5.   I think there are people that would support this game financially if they felt they weren't being completely ripped off by the purchase.  But, for me, $75 is easily $70 beyond a reasonable price.  

If they want to cater to the mega-whales, that's their prerogative.  I just would think they'd be more concerned over the idea that there's noting in this game that I'd even conceivably want to pay for at their prices when similar offerings from their competitors are an order of magnitude lower for similar kit.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof said:
    That's the oddest part is it should be a luxury item, but it's not treated that way.  If you go buy an expensive computer it's not included with 1 year's worth of groceries...Tying it to in-game resources that have nothing do with it spit in the face of the argument and skew the ability to tell if people are really buying for the costume or really buying for the resources.  There's no reason for these to be bundles IMO.  Or at least sell them separately and in a bundle, that will give you a better idea who's willing to buy for the costume.