Red Goblin Bundle (1/21/19)

Options

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just wanted to add my support of the occasional store (not tied to a new release) that offers improved odds on Classic 5's.  I'd prefer they were 20 CP stores, but apparently that's not an option.

I do wish they would have spaced this offer out from the Doom new release store, as I spent a good amount of CP in there and then used up the remainder in the Latest store today before the store appeared in game.  A player-friendly way to go about this would be to wait a couple week or so for Doom to join Latest and then offer this type of store in case people want to use some CP on it.  Not everyone even has these characters, and might want to try to pull one of them.

But I can't say if the devs' intent is to help us cover 5's or just keep presenting us options to use our CP up.

There is the obvious truth that the developers want to make sure you feel you are making progress in the game, or you will quit, vs giving you too much progress, and then you quit because you met your goals.  So there is always the balance they would presumably be hoping to achiever there, and overlapping stores definitely pushes against you getting ahead of things.

Another thought I had was that going back, we had the chain bundles that annoyed me because you didn't know - until someone bought them - what you would see next, or where it would end.  It was an exercise in hiding information from consumers to see what they would do.  I presume the result was not what they wanted since that hasn't repeated.

Now we have Support offers, and a costume offer overlapping with the new character vault and CP store, along with another CP store for 3 classic characters.  Is it just to try to offer as many things at once to see what people do?  Try to keep spending going?  Who knows.  I do know it feels overwhelming.  And only a week ago we had some Fantastic Four bundles.   Will 2019 be the year of constant offers/bundles?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would have been up for the store but I really need to save my CP for latest - Cable represents the first chance I have ever had at covering a. 5* and even if he isn't top tier I would like to do it. Shame as I would have liked more covers for all 3 in the Masked store.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Those 5 tokens are likely to all be 4*s too. Laughable offer yet again. 
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2019
    Options

Compared to what? 
    This deal gets you more 'guaranteed' 4*s than from what a Stark purchase would give you (on average). 

10K HP in an off-season store gets you 1:14 odds at a 4*, so quite close to 3 of them, plus an LT from buying the 40x pack.

So:

Red Goblin deal: 10K HP  =  3x 4* + LT, + 5 Masked Vengeance draws = 9x 4* characters or worse (6 chances for a 5*)

Stark Salary deal: 20K HP  =  6x 4* + 2x LT =  8x 4* characters or worse (2 chances for a 5*), costs $25 more, no costume 
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think the drop in 5000 HP and 75CP since the Thor deal is much more valuable than the replacement 5x Goblin tokens.  That's not to say that I considered the Thor deal, but of the switches and levers available to tweak with these offerings, they were all pulled in the greedier directions. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you find it expensive, you are not the targeted segment. They are not going to drop it to 10 or 20 USD.

Compared to Thor's Thunder Costume deal, this has 5000 fewer HP but 50 more "CP". 50 CP = 5000 HP? Therefore, 1 CP = 100 HP?

I doubt this sells as well as Thor's because this character doesn't seem to be popular.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    • Cost: $74.99 USD (converted to your region's currency and/or platform)
    • Content:
      • 10,000 Hero Points
      • 5x Masked Vengeance Tokens
      • Red Goblin Costume

From my understanding, this represents 75% of the highest HP purchase on the store in the US, and the contents have been chosen with that in mind.
    That doesn't seem to be the case on the Australian store (at least through Google Play).  This deal is priced at AU$114.99 while a Stark is AU$129.99, so it is instead 88% of the price.  That messes up the value proposition even further.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jamesh said:
    That doesn't seem to be the case on the Australian store (at least through Google Play).  This deal is priced at AU$114.99 while a Stark is AU$129.99, so it is instead 88% of the price.  That messes up the value proposition even further.
    Not to mention your toilets flush counterclockwise. Crazy!
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    jamesh said:
    Not to mention your toilets flush counterclockwise. Crazy!
    The water generally just goes straight down.  We don't have your weird whirlpool toilets here.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2019
    Options

$129.99 NZ compared to $124.99 for a Stark.  On Android anyway, I haven't yet had a chance to check my Steam account.

:edit: $92.99 NZ on Steam, compared to $123.99 for a Stark.  How "$74.99 USD (converted to your region's currency and/or platform)" in one case is $5 more and in the other $31 less than a Stark amazes me.

Yeah, nah.  (Again)

• Asmodaeus
    Asmodaeus Posts: 100 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Not sure how you guys come up with these offers (guessing some sort of dartboard or drunk chicken is involved). I don't begrudge you guys trying to entice us to spend money, as this is a business,  but my god man...$75 for a costume, some HP, and a few tokens (which will most likely not even get a single cover for said character)?! Seems pretty crazy to me. Especially seeing as how you offered the 5* Ock costume as part of the VIP (which comes with 2 LTs and a nice lil bump in iso, hp, & cp for only $10) just a few weeks ago. It all just seem so arbitrary in terms of what value is being placed on these in game commodities, especially when it involves something that is purely aesthetic. For that kind of investment I'd need to have ALOT more impact on improving my gameplay enjoyment than just looking at a cool costume for a character I use maybe once or twice a year. It's too bad because I do really like the costume but the price borders on insulting which means I probably won't even see much of it on anyone else's Goblin either...
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Red goblin costume is an eye sore, the less people buying it, the better. I wont have to see it as an opposing team
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Shame it’s so expensive as I quite like the cover

this sort of thing is bad as there are probably quite a large number of kids/teenagers who play this game and not all parents have unlimited money to spend on games 

Thanks but I’ll save my cash for something more important 
  • 0_efx_0
    0_efx_0 Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    Options
    “I’d buy that for a dollar!” Hahahaha
  • Nick441234
    Options
    RickOShay said:

Compared to what? 
    This deal has more 'guaranteed' 4*s than buying a Stark gives you (on average). 

10K HP in an off-season store gets you 1:14 odds at a 4*, so quite close to 3 of them, plus an LT from buying the 40x pack.

So:

Red Goblin deal: 10K HP  =  3x 4* + LT, + 5 Masked Vengeance draws = 9x 4* characters or worse (6 chances for a 5*)

Stark Salary deal: 20K HP  =  6x 4* + 2x LT =  8x 4* characters or worse (2 chances for a 5*), costs $25 more, no costume 
    Because who wants to pay for 4*s? They are the sort of thing you collect with your free tokens and CP that you pick up from playing the game. Once you reach the 5* tier, 4*s basically have the same value as 3*s and 2*s. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,294 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CNash said:
    Would it have irreparably damaged the meta to have included just one Green Goblin cover in this pack?
    Ha ha ha!

31 5’s now. 13 covers each is 403 for a new player to cover each. 

No, it probably wouldn’t hurt the game to let one go for $75. Especially for a 3 year old, way out of the meta, character.
  • Nick441234
    Options
    They've been tight since day 1 and they'll be tight until the game is shut down so not a chance in hell they give away a cover with the deal. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They've been tight since day 1 and they'll be tight until the game is shut down so not a chance in hell they give away a cover with the deal. 
    Which is sort of strange as the costume is useless without a cover. A new player with cash to burn is far more likely to go for this with one cover in the bag already and the possibility of getting more from the tokens.

Why close off spending to potential new Whales?