Last Chance For Lady Deadpool Costume + New Costume *Updated (1/4/19)

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    thorrium said:
    I am playing pvp at scl 7-9 (depending on how much time I got to get my 900points/wins).
    And I have seen zero special thors, ZERO.

I actually got the first 3 costumes, I got the cage one in my 2nd pull, I got the VIP because I see it as an okay monthly sub to pay... and I got the bundle because (I can't remember okay, I just know I have the costume, I hope there was great value).

But I will never pay 80 euro for a costume in a mobile game.  That is as close to insanity as anything ever will get.  I am a big fan of DeNappa's idea of a skinshop, heck it would have fitted in with the rest of the games "mentality".

(f2p, with option to get your roster slots faster, but that still keeps you against other people of the same MMR -
    Now by extension I mean that, the skins are a small bonus that don't matter, let people purchase them if they want, or let us buy them out with HP, like roster-slots)....

I don't know that is happening, but there seem to have been a big shift in how monetary offers are being handled over the last 6-8 months.
    Did they hire a new CFO (or something of that nature?), because this feeds into my paranoia that the game is getting shut down.

With 5* MMR you'd see A LOT of costumed Thors.
    Can't believe it myself but this must have really sold well.
  • Shadojakk
    Shadojakk Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    thorrium said:
    I am playing pvp at scl 7-9 (depending on how much time I got to get my 900points/wins).
    And I have seen zero special thors, ZERO.

I actually got the first 3 costumes, I got the cage one in my 2nd pull, I got the VIP because I see it as an okay monthly sub to pay... and I got the bundle because (I can't remember okay, I just know I have the costume, I hope there was great value).

But I will never pay 80 euro for a costume in a mobile game.  That is as close to insanity as anything ever will get.  I am a big fan of DeNappa's idea of a skinshop, heck it would have fitted in with the rest of the games "mentality".

(f2p, with option to get your roster slots faster, but that still keeps you against other people of the same MMR -
    Now by extension I mean that, the skins are a small bonus that don't matter, let people purchase them if they want, or let us buy them out with HP, like roster-slots)....

I don't know that is happening, but there seem to have been a big shift in how monetary offers are being handled over the last 6-8 months.
    Did they hire a new CFO (or something of that nature?), because this feeds into my paranoia that the game is getting shut down.

I have seen several, and yes, I did purchase the costume(considered it a early x-mas gift to myself ) as I am nearly finished leveling my 5* Thor (and I am NOT a casual, been with the game since shortly after launch, and before they began patch notes, and a daily player).  I usually see 1-4 during a character PVP run (play usually 575 - 1000).
  • thorrium
    thorrium Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Bowgentle said:
    I don't doubt you, I am still in the 4*/5* MMR (facing off against at most 2-5* characters)...
    I am just suprised people seem to use him in 5* MMR, I would think Kitty would dominate over him (or is she part of the meta with him?).

• Barbarizenow
    Barbarizenow Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    They need a Venom costume for Peter Parker.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,733 Chairperson of the Boards
    thorrium said:
    Bowgentle said:
    I don't doubt you, I am still in the 4*/5* MMR (facing off against at most 2-5* characters)...
    I am just suprised people seem to use him in 5* MMR, I would think Kitty would dominate over him (or is she part of the meta with him?).

Thor is still the meta. Kitty is just an alterna-meta.
  • thorrium
    Shadojakk said:
    I have seen several, and yes, I did purchase the costume(considered it a early x-mas gift to myself ) as I am nearly finished leveling my 5* Thor (and I am NOT a casual, been with the game since shortly after launch, and before they began patch notes, and a daily player).  I usually see 1-4 during a character PVP run (play usually 575 - 1000).

First of all, I want to say...  I don't mean anything against people that bought the costume.   I am more against the company that put the price tag so high in the first place.
    But I do have a suspicion that our spending habits in the game might differ a bit (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Heck I bought an old Dredd comic the other day that costed more then I want to say out loud, we buy what we want, no shame in it!  that's at least not my point...

But perhaps I would see more Thor's with the costume if I got closer to complete 5* teams?   Still I am only speaking from my experience (zero costumes), as well as what I have heard when I asked in my alliance chat (very very few)..
  • Shadojakk
    Shadojakk Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    thorrium said:
    Bowgentle said:

Over the last couple of PVP's, the Kitty/GRocket combo as increased incredibly. It used to be Okoyoe(sp?)/Thor/Jessica Jones for the most part, but today alone during the Jubilee PVP I saw 6 different Kitty combos, all with GRocket.  You would think a better four star would be better, maybe Medusa or even Blade?
    I find it all too easy to get rid of most of GRock's opening specials at the beginning rounds.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    thorrium said:
    Bowgentle said:

Especially after Loki left there's more Kitty/Grocket teams starting to crop up. 

But my overall personal preference is still Thorkoye. With Okoye more or less tanking and healing, you can essentially climb continuously, only occasionally needing a healthpack.

My Kitty is Level 456 and tanks everything but blue and green over Grocket. If you can't get her shields out relatively quickly, you're still gonna need healthpacks every several matches, more if your strikes get removed quickly and the match drags out. 

When the team works, it works well and quickly. But it can also go to **** fairly quickly too. If one of the next 5*s have a method of placing special tiles quickly, cheaply, or passively, then that might be a real threat to the meta. As great as Grocket's strikes are to start with, he's still a 4* with 4* health and 4* match damage. 
  • thorrium
    Shadojakk said:
    Over the last couple of PVP's, the Kitty/GRocket combo as increased incredibly. It used to be Okoyoe(sp?)/Thor/Jessica Jones for the most part, but today alone during the Jubilee PVP I saw 6 different Kitty combos, all with GRocket.  You would think a better four star would be better, maybe Medusa or even Blade?
    I find it all too easy to get rid of most of GRock's opening specials at the beginning rounds.
    I personally find Medusa to slow, she is great for sustanability, but Kitty/GR or Kitty/Carnage hits so hard, so fast, that I don't really need Medusa (and my 4* blade is to low, so I have yet to try him).

Medusa is used in the simulator though, I did 30 straight wins two days ago, with her on my team, no problem.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited January 2019
    *Updated thread with information on new Costume available in V.I.P. In addition, please keep all comments on the topic of Costumes.

If you wish to discuss character strategy, then please start a separate discussion thread. Thank you!
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, so still room to include Doc Oct from Into the Spiderverse as a 4* then? It almost seems wrong that Superior looks to be in shape.
  • IronLad
    IronLad Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Well that's a shocker - 5* costume for VIP! There's no predicting distribution, at this point.
    To be honest, I was regretting buying Carnage's festive bundle to reach Dock Ock's bonus cover, when immediately after the $75 Thor bundle popped up - getting his 5* cover just from VIP is a welcome surprise.  B)
  • bluewolf
    edited January 2019
    @Brigby
    I might suggest updating the post to be clear that the Lady Deadpool costume is no longer available as of 1/4/19.

Or maybe I just did. ;-)
  • thorrium
    Brigby said:
    *Updated thread with information on new Costume available in V.I.P. In addition, please keep all comments on the topic of Costumes.

If you wish to discuss character strategy, then please start a separate discussion thread. Thank you!

That's fair.

@Brigby can you tell us if there has been a change in how costumes are presented (only/primarily though purchase) vs. how it was presented two months ago (seemed more progression based).

Or should I post this question some other place?  (will do so, don't want to bother)
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    A 5-star character with a 3-star costume. That's not going to confuse anybody, no sir. (neither is it hiding the fact that the only reason costumes have their own rarity is so they can charge more for popular characters, instead of, again, creating a fair and balanced system that players of all types (and wallets) could enjoy).

How much do you pay the guy who ruins your good ideas with **** monetization? Because he probably deserves a raise. With Supports and now Costumes, the dude's been working overtime, and it shows.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't get all the hate for costumes.  They don't affect gameplay at all, so it doesn't shift the balance of power.  I would get the hate if costumes bestowed extra powers (a la supports), but for a shiny trophy of sorts... i just don't get it.  
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I don't get all the hate for costumes.  They don't affect gameplay at all, so it doesn't shift the balance of power.  I would get the hate if costumes bestowed extra powers (a la supports), but for a shiny trophy of sorts... i just don't get it.  
    I don't think the hate is towards costumes.  It's the price point and artificial scarcity.  

Limiting the purchase potential by locking it away feels counterintuitive, and feels wrong.  Want me to buy something?  Then sell it to me.  Dont tell me i can only buy it this week and this week only.  What if i was on vacation?  What if i was waiting on a gift card from a birthday or something?  It's psychological manipulation, plain and simple.  Especially because it is a digital good.  We arent talking about a kitchen table made from wood that takes decades to grow, and weeks to build. 

It's pretty gross, the more i think about it.  It may be how things are done, and it may even work and be "profitable," but it doesn't make it any less dirty.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is still a Pokemon society. Must. Collect. EVERYTHING! Having collectibles locked behind 1st place Versus, token RNG, and monetary purchases is frustrating. It originally seemed to be suggested that we would be achieving costumes rather than buying them. I don’t mind the Thor one. I’ve made the big HP purchases before, and that one had more personal value in the very important CP. But others were thinking “Gauntlet? Growth Industry? Some other challenge to get [insert costume]?” Hopefully, there will be a challenge of some type for some future costumes,  but we’ll have to wait and see.
  • bluewolf
    edited January 2019
    I am guessing that at some point in the future, there will be costumes you can win through play. But they launched 38 days ago and I can’t fault the devs for placing them in pay packages only for the initial rollout.  They are strictly cosmetic and, for now, vanity items for those who paid.  Making them hard to get at first will make them more fun to get later on.

They might have worded their initial announcement differently to say “in the future, some costumes may be available through gameplay achievements” or whatever makes sense. 

But if people want to spend on them, go ahead.  We shall see what other availability comes along later. 

Edit:  As to why this is a 3* item for a 5* character....recall that there is an HP trade for duplicate costumes. Assuming the new costume is available long enough for some to get duped, they probably only wanted to give out 500 HP for those people vs whatever the value of a 5* dupe is. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    So this is the first case of a costume's rarity not equalling the character's rarity.  What does this even mean if each costume is only available for a limited time, and offered in a different way?