Teams vs Kitty and Grocket

KC_Hammer
KC_Hammer Posts: 84 Match Maker
edited December 2018 in MPQ General Discussion
I am not sure what do do when fighting Grocket and Kitty teams. They chew through my normal teams that I use against Grocket, gamora, and Medusa. Red hulk even goes down in just a couple turns. Does anyone have any ideas?
Edit: while I have all the 5* none of them are at a usable level as I'm using my iso on champing 4*

Comments

• Zirtak_the_Second
    Zirtak_the_Second Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    I've got plenty of Thorkoyes in my retaliation list when using that team in pvp. I do get way more defensive wins with Kitty and Grocket. And I skip similar teams just to save health packs... 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Yea I fought them once and didn't realize what I was getting in to. I would try full health Daredevil, purple ap boosts and hope to get enough purple before he drops below 50%. Maybe even respec him so his health has to drop to 40% so you can try to get her stunned before giving her a tile to overwrite. Then the rest should be easy after stealing those strong strikes.
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    I have no issues taking them down with thorkoye, but I do have to pay more attention than when fighting other teams.  And if they get a cascade early it can obviously be disastrous.
    Most important things are getting rid of enough tiles so that kitty stops boosting them, and not creating any special tiles yourself.  Obvious maybe, but that's where the required character matters; in 3* spiderman's recent run, I had to remember not to make any purple matches until kitty was gone.  In 3* cage's event I just skipped those teams.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    Ummm, the dude already said his 5s aren’t usable....

2 options, if they are viable for you:
    Medusa, boost purple and try to steal
    Kraven is strong vs Strike tiles

Also, take Medusa/Moonstone team ups - the quicker you can steal the better.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    If you use boosts, bring Okoye and Kraven with a starter 4 TUs. Get as many TUs as you can and you'll be doing really good damage pretty quickly. It doesn't protect you from the ridiculous AI cascades, but as long as you don't get hit with one of those, it works. 

Edit: just saw you might not have a usable Okoye. That makes it real tough. Maybe Medusa and bring extra purple?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dazzler. One match with her tanking will wipe the strikes turn 1. 
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    I was thinking about her too, but after reading her ability description it seems like you need to have special tiles of your own for her to remove enemy specials. 
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Good thought. her black passive needs as many friendly special tiles on board to remove the ai’s grocket tiles. But the key is having her tank. As a 5* player, the Dancing Queen isn’t tanking over anyone
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Rod5 said:
    Ummm, the dude already said his 5s aren’t usable....

2 options, if they are viable for you:
    Medusa, boost purple and try to steal
    Kraven is strong vs Strike tiles

Also, take Medusa/Moonstone team ups - the quicker you can steal the better.
    Um, dude wisely edited his post and added that.  Tough for me to give specific team advice for 4*'s and below, but vulture and cloak and dagger should allow you to remove the strike tiles fairly quickly.  The c&d true heal would also bring some much needed durability.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    Grockitty teams are all i'm facing in Shield Sim atm. I'll wait until i'm attacked a lot of times again to maybe see some other teams. These are what i call skip teams. I didn't like them with Gamora, but with Kitty it's even worse
  • furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Bishop (5/5/3) Peggy (5/3/5) Deadpool (3/5/5) is a fast and fun way to beat Kitty/R&G in 4* mmr. More often than not, Bishop generates enough blue for Peggy by turn 2 (and almost always by turn 3). Deadpool and Bishop passives take down the unstunned character rather quickly and then you can take control of the game. Seems to require one health pack on Bishop per battle (the other characters rarely take damage). Works pretty well against any sufficiently high level 5* or R&G based team. It's also amazing on defense (getting quite a few defensive wins).
    That sounds like a great strategy, but how many people have champed Bishops already? Mine won’t be anything useful for a long time. :(
  • TranscendGod
    TranscendGod Posts: 53 Match Maker
    I was thinking about her too, but after reading her ability description it seems like you need to have special tiles of your own for her to remove enemy specials. 
    Use her with R&G and a character that doesn't tank black/red over Dazzler (for many of us, R&G will tank green over Dazzler). There are many fun/effective options: Wasp, Nico, Nick Fury, Iceman, Coulson, Elektra (depending on level), Antman, ProfX, Dr Strange (depending on level she can tank red/black over a champed 5* strange), etc.

A good Dazzler team is probably the most health pack efficient 4* counter, although it's not as fast as a Bishop or Carol based team.
  • TranscendGod
    TranscendGod Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Bishop (5/5/3) Peggy (5/3/5) Deadpool (3/5/5) is a fast and fun way to beat Kitty/R&G in 4* mmr. More often than not, Bishop generates enough blue for Peggy by turn 2 (and almost always by turn 3). Deadpool and Bishop passives take down the unstunned character rather quickly and then you can take control of the game. Seems to require one health pack on Bishop per battle (the other characters rarely take damage). Works pretty well against any sufficiently high level 5* or R&G based team. It's also amazing on defense (getting quite a few defensive wins).
    That sounds like a great strategy, but how many people have champed Bishops already? Mine won’t be anything useful for a long time. :(
    Not many who aren't 5* players, but I've been using my unchamped Bishop to great effect. I hoarded heroic tokens  so I could cover him more quickly. He's currently 3/4/5 and will be champed in a few days thanks to the 12 days of Christmas.
  • KC_Hammer
    KC_Hammer Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Thanks for the help. Dazzler is a good idea, and I will give her a shot with Grocket and a 3rd. Maybe Nico. Sadly my Bishop is only 0/3/2 at the moment.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Prowler and Medusa seem like a great pairing for these teams on paper. I'm three covers away from my Prowler being champed (his drop rate has been insane for me, even if he isn't my current 4-star BH). Boost purple AP as much as possible for Medusa's hair to go crazy, make those matches of fortified tiles and turn the boosted board against them as quickly as possible, focusing on knocking Kitty out as soon as possible.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now, who here said in the past that Kitty wasn't good for PVP? Who said that she wouldn't be a meta-defining character? Who said that she's "meh" and would wait for the next 5*? Shall we check the announcement thread?

I predicted all of this would happen. Her usefulness is great now and can only improve with better 5* pairings. I'll admit Grockitty isn't as good as Thorkoye in PVP, but it's still a killer combo for 4* players. It's the only team that I skip. In PVE, her combos rival the fastest teams. 

To address the OP: Dazzler + Grocket is the best counter. Bishop is also good.  Kraven might work against a low level Kitty.  Any other strategy to remove or take specials is vulnerable to lots of damage during the setup. Now what would you do against Carnage + Kitty?.....the never ending supply of friendly specials?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,391 Chairperson of the Boards
    My lvl 275 Kraven can't keep up with Kitty's special boost the times I've tried it, though he can outpace most Nico teams. I definitely think Prowler is a killer 4ocket counter, even at low levels, but you need the health to take some hits. I usually attempt board shakers and stunners when I take on that team. Vulture/G4mora if you can get blue/black quick enough, Main Event with grand entrance on 5 to keep the board moving around. I don't know that i have a hard counter for it yet honestly.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    OJSP said:
    After experimenting a lot (i.e losing.. :lol: ), I’ve found several 4* teams to use against them. They’re probably levelled a bit higher compared to the average players, so they could withstand a bit more beating and might not be a possible option for everyone yet. But, they could still lose from big cascades pretty easily. Once, they had a first turn cascade that brought down my full health lvl 370 Rulk. Having said that, the opponents did have up to lvl 472 Kitty and lvl 370 Rockets (sometimes with Medusa for added pain :lol: ).

It seems Kitty is designed to be a 4*-5* transitioning character, so most of the counters I’ve found so far involve high levelled 4*s or 5*s.

Team of 3:
    Rulk (370), Carol (367), Valkyrie (322) - autopilot
    Gamora (370), Medusa (368), Rocket (357) - boost APs to stun Kitty
    Thing (333), Carol, XDP (355) - slow
    Bishop (209 3/4/3), Prof X (330), MrF (326) - stun everyone
    Riri (368), C&D (354), Vulture (329) - boost APs to quickly get Vulture airborne

Team of 2, would require a 5* to soak the damage:
    Okoye XDP - boost yellow AP and TU
    Okoye Thor - same as above, but less reliable
    Star-Lord Rocket - fighting fire with fire, get burned a lot
    BSSM and anyone - safest option. preferably bring someone in the team to steal some tiles

Lower level you could try Carol(4), Hulk(3) and Daken(3).  I use this alot, but my new go-to against heavy attacking teams is Rulk/Carol/Val.

Look at it this way, if you only have 10 health packs and rely on the regen, you can get 10 wins and just take a break.  Need to heal Hulk(3) or Rulk or whoever takes the damage.  I usually do a sim run each night and burn my health packs before bed.