3* Max Champ Rewards Rethink

Options
TheBaku
TheBaku Posts: 55 Match Maker
Hello!

I'm reaching the stage where my 3* Champs are becoming more of a hassle than anything else...  and the very concept of restarting and using ISO on 3* characters is really sapping my will to play...

Brief background:  I have 13 or 14 Max Champ 3*'s,  and are restarting them for the "farm"...  that said,  every single ISO point I spend on these 3* means less for the 4*'s I have yet to Champ.  My ISO needs are actually getting exponentially worse with every 3* I Max Champ.

Has there been any thought of instituting a "Max Champ+" type system,  whereby we can maintain the Champ at 266,   but restart the rewards back to level 167-through 266?

Just an idea,  but it would help me alleviate the feeling that I will literally never have enough ISO to farm 3*'s AND make forward progress with my roster...

Any thoughts,  forum-ites? 

Comments

• Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sell the max champ and use that iso to restart them. Or just stockpile saved covers. Sorry to be a buzzkill but there's enough options that I don't think they would add a new max champ system. I would be all for it, but I am also fine selling a 266 when I have a 166 to replace it.
  • TheBaku
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I do realize that is an option...  but it's taken 5 years of playing (or however long since they instituted Champing) to get these characters to 266...  they now provide a significant advantage when boosted,  and I really don't like the idea of 5 years work sold to hop back on the treadmill...  saving covers until I can restart will mean months of redeeming tokens with literally no payoff,  grinding my progress to a halt...  Again,  I know those are my options,  I just don't love either of them...
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The other option is to open up another roster slot for them. I think by now, you should have excess HP?
  • TheBaku
    edited December 2018
    Options
    HoundofShadow said:
    The other option is to open up another roster slot for them. I think by now, you should have excess HP?
    Yes they have a roster slot...  but are eventually going to require 125k ISO(ish) to begin to start paying dividends again...  at which point my options are (as stated above) sell the 266 (which I worked on for 5 years) or save the covers indefintely (which yields no rewards)... 
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not so sure why this is an issue for you in your situation.

Keep the 3* max champ.

Yes you have to open a new roster slot for the baby dupe,  but who says you have to champ him early?  You can save every cover until you can insta max champ.

At most your only out of pocket cost is buying the next slot.  You don't have to add any levels to the baby champ until your ready and can afford the instachamp costs.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Do what I do for a while - sell your 3-star covers for ISO. When I was where you are at now I decided not to start 3-star dupes because I still had 30+ 4-stars to champ and ISO was my number one need. I also temporarily hit the brakes on my 2-star farm and started selling those covers as well. This greatly increased my daily ISO income and has enabled me to champ those 4-stars at a faster rate. Now I'm down to less than ten 4-stars left to champ and I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Once my 4-stars are all sorted, I'll start farming those 3-stars (and restart the 2-stars). I too want to keep my max-champed 3-stars so I'll be making dupes, but the ISO it takes to do so won't be an issue because I won't have all those unchamped 4-stars staring at me every day.
  • TheBaku
    Options
    Phumade said:

Keep the 3* max champ.

Yes you have to open a new roster slot for the baby dupe,  but who says you have to champ him early?  You can save every cover until you can insta max champ.

At most your only out of pocket cost is buying the next slot.  You don't have to add any levels to the baby champ until your ready and can afford the instachamp costs.

I hear ya...  but it means the next 27 or so covers I'm saving yield literally no reward...  multiply that by 15 or so 3* champs,  and I'm getting NO farm reward at all for those 'baby dupes'...  essentially it means a large segment of my 3* farm is yielding no rewards... indefinetly.   Meaning a very slow slog to progress my roster...    eventually I will reach a level where 3* rewards are not even 500iso,  but virtually nothing...  for 5 more years?
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Once you reach a certain point though, the next 4-star to champ is just one more on the pile. And for the cost of that 4-star you can (re)champ 3 3-stars.

What I am doing is keeping my max champed 3-stars, re-rostering them and once they are back to 13 covers, and I have the iso to do it, I rechamp. I of course have a pile of 4-stars to do as well, but I have identified the ones out of that lot that I really need (principally the ones I will use most, so Dazzler, Domino as they are Latest) and then the rest can wait.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2018
    Options
    TheBaku said:
    Phumade said:

Keep the 3* max champ.

but it means the next 27 or so covers I'm saving yield literally no reward... and I'm getting NO farm reward at all for those 'baby dupes'...  essentially it means a large segment of my 3* farm is yielding no rewards... indefinetly.  ...
    But this is simply not true! The rewards are merely banked and will vest and pay off whenever you choose to champ the character. It’s like the difference between potential and kinetic energy — if you compare a large stone at the top of the hill with an equivalent stone at the bottom of the hill, they may look equally energetic but they’re capable of far different results if encouraged to roll...
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, you only ever need 2 roster slots per 3* character.  One for the cover maxed character, one for the dupe rebuild.  As soon as I have the dupe max champed, I sell it only after I get another cover to restart it.  That way I don't accidentally roster a new person in that slot.  This minimizes roster slot use and maximizes rewards.  And now that we have the save feature, you never need worry about wasting another cover ever again.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TheBaku said:
    Phumade said:

Keep the 3* max champ.

I hear ya...  but it means the next 27 or so covers I'm saving yield literally no reward...  multiply that by 15 or so 3* champs,  and I'm getting NO farm reward at all for those 'baby dupes'...  essentially it means a large segment of my 3* farm is yielding no rewards... indefinetly.   Meaning a very slow slog to progress my roster...    eventually I will reach a level where 3* rewards are not even 500iso,  but virtually nothing...  for 5 more years?
    You will get those rewards.  The issue for you will when to pull the trigger. And realize those rewards.

as practical matter,  the rewards from one champ level to the next or even in 5 level increments is minor.   It won’t change how your account plays. As long as you eventually get those resources back.

everyone has roster mgmt issues even 5* players.  In their case, it’s the same question of when to convert the cp/lol hoard into actual 5* chars.

at the end of the day every tier has to prioritize one goal over another.   Realistically this just means you’ll be alternating 4*/3* champs. It will just boiled down to which 4* cover do I need now vs defer until that 4* is champable etc...

the rewards really  aren’t the issue.   It will come down to you ability to decide when various covers are actually usable to your roster.

i.e.  No point in insta champing a 3* when he drops 4* covers that can’t be immediately applied.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Champing was introduced in Jan 2016. So that's almost 3 years. 

Currently, a few existing solutions (consolidated) are: 

1) Sell max champed 3* and use the iso-8 gained to rechamp the dupes once they reached 13 covers.

2) Keep max champed 3* and sell dupe 3* covers

3) Open another roster slot for dupes. Make use of Saved Covers feature.

4) A mix of 1, 2 and 3

I think it's down to prioritising. 

I believe there are a handful of four stars that you have no interest in. You can keep them at 209 (for Shield Training) and make use of Saved Covers. 

There are also 3* that are interesting due to them giving covers of 4* that you like. 

So, you can dupe some 3* and put some of the 4* at the bottom of list to be champed. 

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Champing has been around for 3 years, not 5 years. Plus, it's reasonable to max champ a new 3* in 2 years (roughly 1 cover per week).
    You need to accept that champ rewards are the icing on the cake, and are the payoff from your previous hard work. If you want those rewards again, you'll need to work for it again. Fortunately, selling a max champ will give you the majority of the iso that you need. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There was a rumored prestige system earlier this year that would change the champ system so if you maxed out a 3* then they would stay at 266 but the rewards would start over but it would be like 3* Thor level 266 Prestige 1. Something like that. Don't know if it was just some player's idea or if it was being worked on and then Demi/D3 decided to scrap it and moved on to creating supports. 

Anyway, I have 28 4*s left to champ and about half of my 3*s are max champed. So right now I'm focusing more on my 4s to get all the non-limited ones to 209, only ten left woooo, and then I'll probably start a process of champing two 4s and then a 3*. Because even though having lots of champed 4s is great it really sucks when you get a ton of 3s from rewards and tokens but most of them are saved covers. It's like getting a ton of money from a relative for Christmas when you're a kid but then you find out that you can't touch the money until you turn 18 or 21. "Come on, I'm responsible. I won't spend all of the $10,000 on Goldfish crackers and video games."
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It doesn't take 5 years to max champ a 3*. I've been playing for just under 3 years and right now I've max champed every 3* and already have a dupe for every 3* at level 200 or higher. I've actually already max champed a few dupes even.  It's easier now more so than ever to make huge progress on 3* pretty easily.  i'm a T50 player at SCL9 so every time a 3* is featured in PVE that will net me at least (7) of that 3* (3 from rewards, 1 from alliance rewards and at least 3 from progression). Then every time they're featured for PVP that's another (5) covers at least for me (I'm typically at least T25 so 3 from rewards, 1 from alliance and 1 from progression). That piles up FAST!

What I personally did was selling 3* covers until I had almost all my 4* champed and then I slowly started selling max champs to rechamp new covers (I only kept max 3* that were used for lightning rounds). Right now I almost always sit at around 1 mill ISO and only ever use it to rechamp 2*, champ new 4* or champ 5* once covered.
  • ssbledsoe
    ssbledsoe Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Options
    I just recently joined the ranks of "what to do now that I have a Max Champ 3*".  As such, I have decided to continue investing ISO into my 2 & 3* farms.  I also used some ISO to get Dazzler to 209, and will continue investing ISO to complete SHIELD Training when I have the characters covered to do so. 

I find it hard to justify dropping ~375K ISO into a character I'm only going to use when boosted (at best).  I'd rather have the regular rewards from a 3* farm than the periodic rewards from a 4* or the ability to use them during their boost weeks.  
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Straycat said:
    Sorry to be a buzzkill but there's enough options
    That's where I'm at with this whole thing.

Sell and re-roster- "I don't want a low level 3!"
    Keep and reroster- "I don't have the iso to champ a dupe!"
    Sell extras for iso to fund your 4s- "Then I miss out on champ rewards!"
    Keep and reroster and just stack covers until you hit 100- "I won't get my rewards regularly! I don't want to wait!"

I get each option has a drawback, especially if you're in an iso crunch, but that tension is what the developers hope leads to spending.  We already have several options.  I don't know how the developers could make it any easier.  Unless they just outright gave you the iso/HP to champ your dupe by virtue of hitting 13 covers (man that would be sweet).

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Slowly pump iso into them whenever you have a bit to spare. With saved covers this just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining about something.

The 3 star farm is far better than the 2* farm. I'm already beginning my 2nd rotation of it and surprisingly one of my last max champed 3s (gambit) almost has his 1st dupe close to being built.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I only recently completed my 3* farm. I'm at the point now where I have every 3* maxed out and a dupe on the go. Even got to the awkward stage where I had Iron Man, Rocket & Groot and Magneto all maxed *twice* so I needed to create some roster slots to fit their next dupe (I want to get them at 13 covers before I sell the original dupe. Then I don't accidentally spend the ISO on something else)

I think a thread a while ago postulated the idea of, like..."prestige mode" for characters or something.

I could like the idea of just keeping the maxed character and resetting the rewards so covers didn't go to waste. I dread hitting my first maxed 4* and then getting another cover for that character.