Why have new character discussions dropped off?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards

I also would really like to see the developers create different token pools which would allow advanced players to concentrate on getting a character they want increasing the odds of drawing a particular cover. It wouldn't be as simple as a latest/classic split it would need to be something with covers from most recent to earliest just in smaller pools.
    You could treat that as a release season. There's certainly the Class of 20XX pvp event that approaches this idea.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Perhaps we're all to eager for the next support that no one will be able to get. I know I can't wait.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    4 & 5.
    That's why I keep saying there needs to be a 6* tier.  
    That would retire the 4* tier to growing roster players, similar to 3* players.
    5*s would have new life if they got multiple boosts like 4*s do now forcing people to try out some new combinations (at least in PvE).
    With a fresh 6* tier vet players would be talking about the new hotness more and it would take some time for a meta to truly form (obviously the first 3 would be the default)

That's my personal opinion, feel free to throw your tomatoes now.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:
    4 & 5.
    That's why I keep saying there needs to be a 6* tier.  
    No tomatoes here, I agree with you.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    broll said:

With a fresh 6* tier vet players would be talking about the new hotness more and it would take some time for a meta to truly form (obviously the first 3 would be the default)

Would they tho? Assuming the hypothetical next tier behaves anything like the previous, I don't see character discussion changing. Its still all about speed, reliable damage output vs effort required. Still have the "can't wait to try them out when I get them champed in a year" problem. Unless they really make some interesting abilities (which they can do for 4*s and 5*s), I think we've seen it all already.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll said:

5*s would have new life if they got multiple boosts like 4*s do now forcing people to try out some new combinations (at least in PvE).

Interesting viewpoints, but this one I cannot agree with. 5* boosts would kill pvp dead for any newer player to the tier or force people to go to the pool of ever greater dilution that is the classic token. It worked with the four star tier because you can obtain those covers fairly easily and not having one or two boosted didn't ruin you. Anyone like me that has most 5* since SMPP would be dead in the water with 5* boosts. I think it would lower pvp participation even further, I'd 575 if I was lucky and run. You can bet the top of the game wouldn't be happy with how much longer they had to be un-shielded to clear matches.

A newer player joining the 5* tier today would have so much pain with boosts they might as well stay in the four star tier. It would be another reason for them not to bother.

As for boosts in pve, as someone without thanos even with the boosted week I still never use them. Loki, DD, SMPP, Bolt etc etc can be boosted and I still use an unboosted Thor and Okoye because it's faster. There's no criteria and ducks to line up it auto plays. Throw in chavez for the nodes you can choose 3 and even faster still.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    broll said:

Interesting viewpoints, but this one I cannot agree with. 5* boosts would kill pvp dead for any newer player to the tier or force people to go to the pool of ever greater dilution that is the classic token. 
    That's why I called out PvE.  I didn't write it very clearly but I was only suggesting that for PvE.  I agree with your take on it being problematic for PvP (though if 6* would come out I would think a significant decrease in difficult to attain 5*s would come with it, so it would be something that could come eventually).
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    What would you even do with 6*s? just more match and power damage? Or is that the opportunity to change the speed-based meta and make them play with victory conditions the way Kaecilius and Apocalypse do on defense, and the way Dr. Octopus sort of tried to do on offense?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    broll said:

Interesting viewpoints, but this one I cannot agree with. 5* boosts would kill pvp dead for any newer player to the tier or force people to go to the pool of ever greater dilution that is the classic token. It worked with the four star tier because you can obtain those covers fairly easily and not having one or two boosted didn't ruin you. Anyone like me that has most 5* since SMPP would be dead in the water with 5* boosts. I think it would lower pvp participation even further, I'd 575 if I was lucky and run. You can bet the top of the game wouldn't be happy with how much longer they had to be un-shielded to clear matches.

A newer player joining the 5* tier today would have so much pain with boosts they might as well stay in the four star tier. It would be another reason for them not to bother.

As for boosts in pve, as someone without thanos even with the boosted week I still never use them. Loki, DD, SMPP, Bolt etc etc can be boosted and I still use an unboosted Thor and Okoye because it's faster. There's no criteria and ducks to line up it auto plays. Throw in chavez for the nodes you can choose 3 and even faster still.
    If you don’t have any boosted 5s you likely don’t get matched against boosted 5s just like the 4s. With that, you actually get rewarded for having a smaller roster and can Thorkoye your way through everything. 

I agree PVE doesn’t need any more 5* boosts. It’s a waste of time because like you said, nothing is faster than the unboosted meta.  Plus you can go casually and play what you want in PVE. That’s not an option in PVP because you will be matched against characters slightly above your roster’s best characters and need to play those best characters to win a match. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    shardwick said:
    I get most of my discussion for a new character from the announcement thread. Something that really annoys me though is that when Brigby closes the announcement thread it deletes all of the replies in that thread and people tend to post some really good info about potential teams that you could use for that character. There has to be an option in the mod tools where closing a thread doesn't also delete every reply in that thread. 
    I think you might be thinking of the redirect links. We don't close any announcement thread in General Discussion, but I do link it from General Discussion to Character Discussion. (Although it does briefly display as Closed after we set up the redirect, so we have to manually re-open it afterwards, even though you can technically still click on the link when Closed)

When that happens, you can just click on the link and it'll redirect you to where the thread is located. All the comments are still there in the thread. What I think you're referring to is the 0 replies on the redirect link itself.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think turning off animations actually plays a role. Since we don't see them, new characters are even less interesting. 
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Borstock said:
    I think turning off animations actually plays a role. Since we don't see them, new characters are even less interesting. 
    I actually agree here. There are some I’d never want back in full glory but I wish they could be tuned to occasionally shown.

I always turn them on in Shield Sim cause there’s no rush.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    Brigby said:
    shardwick said:
    I get most of my discussion for a new character from the announcement thread. Something that really annoys me though is that when Brigby closes the announcement thread it deletes all of the replies in that thread and people tend to post some really good info about potential teams that you could use for that character. There has to be an option in the mod tools where closing a thread doesn't also delete every reply in that thread. 
    I think you might be thinking of the redirect links. We don't close any announcement thread in General Discussion, but I do link it from General Discussion to Character Discussion. (Although it does briefly display as Closed after we set up the redirect, so we have to manually re-open it afterwards, even though you can technically still click on the link when Closed)

When that happens, you can just click on the link and it'll redirect you to where the thread is located. All the comments are still there in the thread. What I think you're referring to is the 0 replies on the redirect link itself.
    I think the confusion is down to you creating two threads for each character now.  For instance, there are these two threads about Bishop:
    The first is easy to discover right now because it is pinned on the general discussion page through a redirect, so that's where most of the discussion is occurring.
    If I went looking for information about Bishop in six months, I'd likely find the second thread through the "Character Details" forum.  That thread will eventually get more replies, but it's going to miss out on all the discussion from when Bishop was the hot new character.  If I didn't know that there were two threads, it would look like someone had deleted all the posts.
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    I never paid much attention to the new character discussion. For me it's because I just don't care a whole lot until I get that character covered and leveled. And of course most 4*s now are just eventual champ reward fodder too.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is definitely because the people who commented a lot about new characters either (a) have moved onto 5* land where 4* characters are pretty much worthless or (b) have quit the game.

This is one of the only mobile games I have played where a new character, for the most part, gets a shrug of the shoulders.  In the old days, when 5* was not yet a thing, a new character would have pages and pages of discussion.  But in this game, once you get to 5*, a new 4* character means absolutely nothing.  I don't even champ the new 4*s, let alone discuss them.  But I used to obsess over every new character in 2015/2016/2017.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's due to 3, 4, 5 and 6. Unless the 4* are meta changing like America Chavez, 5* players are not going to bother about them.

Solution: What we need is more new players to participate in this forum.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu said:
    As a new player i would just like to say, i don't give a shrug about new characters because of dilution.
    I have a huge mountain to climb in front of me, but before i can even set foot on it it just keeps getting higher and higher.... The ink hasn't even dried on Domino yet, and already a new one.... Yay???
    This is a problem. Not just for new players, either, though I think it's worse for them. There are 75 4-stars (Bishop makes 76) and the tier is WAY past the saturation point. New players have the opinion @Ed_Dragonrider shared above, and vets don't care because they have dozens of 4-stars with 300+ levels; a 76th at level 270 is entirely meaningless and won't be used unless essential.

The 4-star tier isn't getting any better and no one's roster is improving from two 4-star releases every six weeks. Our rosters are simply growing more pear-shaped with useless bloat that we're forced to roster because of essential PvE nodes.

So no one cares enough to show any interest on the forums. Why should they?
    Dude.  This.  I hope that Demiurge is paying attention.  This game dies when nobody cares.  It's an amazingly fun game but they are shooting themselves in the foot over and over again.  Why would whales even care about a new 4* that does nothing?
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu said:

There are 75 4-stars (Bishop makes 76) and the tier is WAY past the saturation point. 

The whole game is WAY past the point of saturation when it comes to the number of characters. Unless they add new content, by which i mean events and such, there is no point in adding any more characters... to any of the tiers really. New characters dont liven up the community. New events do. Places of power showed that.

The solution is new events. Which is something the community has been begging for, for..... for far longer than i've been part of it.