*** Doctor Doom (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• Phaserhawk wrote:
    What I want to know is what happens if the enemy matches a Doom trap tile, or I do? It doesnt' say in the skill.
    There is no official word yet and nobody can use the ability to test so I'm just speculating, but the impression I get is that his traps don't actually do anything when they are matched and the means to prevent yourself from getting demolished by Diabolical Plot is to regularly match purple thus keeping his trap count down as well as preventing him from getting the AP. Of course, with purple being somewhat lesser used this means you are using turns to get AP that might not actually be useful to you. At this point the best counter to Dr Doom might be another character that uses both black and purple AP like Blade, Mystique, or Loki.
  • Looks like Bullseye finally has a use... Blocking trap tiles.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    This change makes Doom a lot like BP before they buffed Battleplan. His purple is way too good but it's balanced by his other two abilities being fairly unexciting, and it's fine as long as they don't decide that Summon Demons needs to do 3 times the damage next patch.

Summon deamons is still top 4 black ability in the game. It does 1k damage per turn with the attack tiles and if you have some strike tiles on the board it is even better. Purple will be awsome and blue will still feed black, so he is very playable.

Better Black abilities: Surgical Strike, Rage of the panther, Masterstroke, nothing. Doom also has better health than others and if hus purple trap tiles does damage if matched then he will completly control Purple and it will be a color you don't want to match. He might take a little long to get his powers going but he is definatly going to be fun to play and a pain to play against when goons will be feeding him purple.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Doom sort of feels very much like Mystique, not because of the colors, but both have blue color changing tiles and both have direct damage skills as their 3rd skill that does more damage upon a second condition being filled and they are very close in cost. The only difference is obviously Dooms attack tiles to Mystiques AP steal stun tile, and btw I used Masterstroke over Surgical Strike the other day, I was facing down death in the Shield Sim, I was going against Ares/Daken/Black Panther. I was only going to steal yellow which wouldn't help as Ares and Daken were primed to kill me after a nasty cascade he had all three skills primed and I was trying to squeeze one more win in without health packs. I had 11 Black and had used Mystiques purple the turn before hoping to get my X-Force charged up, so I decided to Masterstroke Daken, which removed enough red/green/yellow to take away all three of Ares skills. I survive long enough to take Ares down with X-force, and between mystiques stun, and blue I was able to cascade into enough black to Masterstroke BP, it was crazy.
  • Except you can use mq's black to deal a ton of damage instantly(this pve I had a match where I used masterstroke 17 times - in one turn), and her blue doesn't override blue tiles, meaning if you have enough blue, it's almost self perpetuating. Doom's is one-shot.

Also there are tons of times where masterstroke is better than surgical, all you need is a board where there's like 5 tiles in their strongest color.
  • Teke184 wrote:
    Looks like Bullseye finally has a use... Blocking trap tiles.

Bullseye's also probably getting a third skill in Season 12, I'd guess (I'm guessing Ragnarok gets one in 11).
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Teke184 wrote:
    Looks like Bullseye finally has a use... Blocking trap tiles.

Bullseye's also probably getting a third skill in Season 12, I'd guess (I'm guessing Ragnarok gets one in 11).

I'd settle for them re-costing his black power.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    after seeing full stats for the purple don't think i'd feel guilty pushing technopathic strike down to rank 3 and having him 5/3/5 now
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    this pve I had a match where I used masterstroke 17 times - in one turn
    O_o

I'm gonna file that under "exaggeration".
  • Purple power is the most interesting power in the game (in my opinion) because it is both a passive and an active move. Event though its interesting, i think I'll be seeing air more 5/5/3 than say 5/3/5. It's just not enough damage and its gonna be difficult to get a lot of traps out on the board
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mattfal wrote:
    Purple power is the most interesting power in the game (in my opinion) because it is both a passive and an active move. Event though its interesting, i think I'll be seeing air more 5/5/3 than say 5/3/5. It's just not enough damage and its gonna be difficult to get a lot of traps out on the board

Wat. Magnetic translocation is a good ability and does 4.9k damage for 10 AP. Doom's purple does 4.4k damage at max level with just 3 traps out. This is going to be one of those cases where Doom ends up spawning a lot more trap tiles than you think: even if you match some away to cast the ability, since you get 1 trap every turn, it isn't going to be that hard to cast it with enough traps out for it to be good. Let's look at the AP ratios for X traps

1 trap - 2.2k damage = 220 AP / damage - gross
    2 trap - 3.3k damage = 330 AP / damage - mediocre
    3 traps - 4.4k damage - 440 AP / damage - okay
    4 traps - 5.5k damage - 550 AP / damage - good
    5 traps - 6.6k damage - 660 AP / damage - great
    6 traps - 7.7k damage - 770 AP / damage - wat

Remember that you get a trap every single turn, so I don't think it takes much for this ability to be good. It might take some work for it to do crazy amounts of damage, but it still seems really good even at lower trap tiles. It's extremely unlikely that 2 or less traps is going to be the average case for this ability: I'm guessing that 5 traps is going to be the average amount of traps you have on board when you cast it, in which case it's already very efficient and pretty great. I'm pretty sure the build is either 3/5/5 or 5/3/5: it's just a matter of how much you value summon demons.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I'm pretty sure the build is either 3/5/5 or 5/3/5: it's just a matter of how much you value summon demons.

i'd hate to neglect demons though since its pretty strong and you lose out on 380 damage per turn and course more tiles on the board to help the damage hang around, 12 black for just 760 per turn is pretty low at rank 3.

reducing doom to a black AP feeder with occasional shots of purple with 3/5/5 seems like a waste to me, 5/3/5 has all the tasty damage and T.strike at 3 is still pretty effective for fueling demons.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dayum. 3/5/5.

All day every day. Yep. And I think devs intended 3/5/5 to be the most ideal, so that we are forced to grind / pay for covers. Don't care. Love Doom. He and XFW were dirty. They're maddening now.

To add. color denying all blues can slow down 4hor, stop 3Cap or Daredevil from stunning you, as well as passively damaging Daken due to a lack of blue on the board. And if you're facing Daken, you can feed a surgical strike, get the black right back, and then use summon demons (if absolutely necessary) to block passive strike tile generation (and thus stop him from bursting in with chemical reaction). XFW and Doom, boys. They're absolutely bonkers.
  • After seeing purples full potential I'm still thinking 4/4/5 is going to be the best build. 9 tiles conversions and missing out on 1 demon for purples max damage seems like a no brainer to me.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ecir2002 wrote:
    After seeing purples full potential I'm still thinking 4/4/5 is going to be the best build. 9 tiles conversions and missing out on 1 demon for purples max damage seems like a no brainer to me.

Maximum XFW feeding as well as blue color denial (and the fact the red tiles can be destroyed based on who you're facing) means Doom's black will scarcely be a priority. If YOU could choose which tiles turn black, then yes. I agree.

Because you're relying on the PC to make that decision, it seems to me it's a safer decision to go 5/3/5.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ecir2002 wrote:
    After seeing purples full potential I'm still thinking 4/4/5 is going to be the best build. 9 tiles conversions and missing out on 1 demon for purples max damage seems like a no brainer to me.

Yeah this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Just look at the way each ability progresses:
    Black:
    level 3 - 659 damage
    level 4 - 823 (+164 from level 3)
    level 5 -1140 (+317 from level 4)

Blue:
    level 3 - 8 tiles
    level 4 - 9 tiles
    level 5 - all tiles.

If you go 4/4/5, then you lose the best of both worlds: level 4->5 is worth a lot more than level 3->4 is to both abilities, so you might as well choose the one that works best for you.

I think it boils down to 5/3/5 if you want Doom to be a good, standalone character, and 3/5/5 if you want to use him for a black generator. Honestly 3 blue seems like it'll get the job done on a majority of boards so I'll probably just go with that.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    Given that allied powers don't overwrite your traps (see daken/blade with DD to see this in action), doom is an awesome partner for patch now. His passive traps should cover most of the purples on the board, minimizing the amount of enemy strike tiles generated.

This goes with the already good pairing of doom black with berserker rage.
  • Ok, question about Doom's 3rd ability purpletile.png Diabolical Plot just to make sure I'm understanding how it works properly. And, mainly because people are telling me he's really not that worth it. His purpletile.png is both 'passive' AND executable, right? Meaning, you don't need the purpletile.png AP to lay out his traps, only detonate them, right?
  • Doom for Survival nodes, anyone?
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ryz-aus wrote:
    Given that allied powers don't overwrite your traps (see daken/blade with DD to see this in action), doom is an awesome partner for patch now. His passive traps should cover most of the purples on the board, minimizing the amount of enemy strike tiles generated.

This goes with the already good pairing of doom black with berserker rage.
    Is it that allied powers don't overwrite your traps or friendly tiles don't overwrite your traps but enemy tiles might even when you supply them with Patch or Elektra?