5 year Anniversary events, how would you rate it?

13»

Comments

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    B-Above Average
    Dormammu said:
    I think Electra is a damn good 3-star (edit: though she wasn't a 3/5 release). 

Strange as it may sound (edit: no pun intended), she was a "3/5" release with Daredevil, who already had a 3* at the time of release.  

I probably underrate 3* Elektra, as I already had a 12-covered 4* Elektra at the time of her release and each of 4* Elektra's powers is demonstrably better than the corresponding 3* variant's.  That being said, I agree with your assessment of the other 3/5 releases

Dormammu said:
    I think Strange was the only one of the 3/5* releases that was great. The rest you could do without. 
    Thanos and Hawkeye might have an argument with you, but ok.
    Fair enough on Thanos, not sure Hawkeye is a must have though. 

While I agree that Hawkeye is not as essential as Strange or Thanos, he has really good self-synergy among his powers and the passive component of his black is a type of AP generation which is unique to his tier.  Similar to 3* Star Lord, I suspect he may be more highly rated by people who were 2*-3* transitioners at the time of his release than by those of use who were 4+* players at the time.

Personally, I think Hawkeye and Thanos were the two best 3/5 releases, as both of them had similar kits, but the 5* variant was clearly better, even though the 3* version is still quite serviceable, especially within the tier.  That just seems how it should be: lower tier players have access to the character, while higher tier players get the fully powered up character.

• purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2018
    B-Above Average
    I think delaying the “end game” (which to me is both the 4 and 5* tiers) for new players by releasing more 3* is actually bad for business.. Another 3* character means a roster slot for new players that can’t afford them and for vets, a character they’ll likely never use.
     An extra benchwarmer is much less annoying when given the iso to level them. 
    delaying the game= another totally diluted 4*character
    So having another under covered 4* that they can't use AND can't afford is better than a 3* that they can use but can't afford? (which is the crux of the pressure since day1 is buy HP to roster your characters)
    Extra benchwarmer? So everyone that isn't thor/jess/Okoye?
    Your not delaying the end game your enriching the play experience right now, for that tier of player. Also it allows another feeder to the 4* tier which in fact will accelerate into a good character if they pick it right.

Imagine you were a 2/3 or even 3/4 star player during anniversary, NEITHER of the releases would matter or interest you at all. most of the vets are lukewarm on them. Going back to rockets season tabulation threads less and less players are in the top SCL. so giving newbs something makes good business sense.
    Dormammu said:
    I think Strange was the only one of the 3/5* releases that was great. The rest you could do without. 
    hawkguy is a great battery! has more variety that most of the rest of the tier, has true healing(which self accelerates) he is great utility for 3* players and a lot of fun to play. He plays well with some of the better 4*'s so is great even as you transition.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    D-Below Average
    This is my first anniversary celebration, so have nothing to compare to.

The good:

1) lots of Anniversary Vault Tokens. Any players can easily clear out 70% of the vault if they play every day.

2) got all 4500 HP = 4 roster slots = ~$30 worth

3) New Alliance events. 24 hours event. No placement = no rush. You can test out all the teams that you wanted to try. I don't get the displeasure for the "lack of information". I think the devs want the players to explore and work things out. I guess that's why they made it a 24 hour refresh event, instead of the usual 8 hours.

4) Generous Iso-8

I miss the infographics that they used to showcase in past anniversaries. I thought it's interesting. 

What could be better:

1) Free Beginner and Advanced Support Tokens (3/1 or 5/3 tokens respectively)

2) New story events with new enemies.

3) new tile type.

Hopefully with #1 you got the good stuff out of the vault before they could steal them from you
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    C-Average
    Dormammu said:
    I think Hawkguy is definitely in the top bunch of 3's, his blue has better utility than anyone else I can think of.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    purplemur said:
    I think delaying the “end game” (which to me is both the 4 and 5* tiers) for new players by releasing more 3* is actually bad for business.. Another 3* character means a roster slot for new players that can’t afford them and for vets, a character they’ll likely never use.
     An extra benchwarmer is much less annoying when given the iso to level them. 
    delaying the game= another totally diluted 4*character
    So having another under covered 4* that they can't use AND can't afford is better than a 3* that they can use but can't afford? (which is the crux of the pressure since day1 is buy HP to roster your characters)
    Extra benchwarmer? So everyone that isn't thor/jess/Okoye?
    Your not delaying the end game your enriching the play experience right now, for that tier of player. Also it allows another feeder to the 4* tier which in fact will accelerate into a good character if they pick it right.

Imagine you were a 2/3 or even 3/4 star player during anniversary, NEITHER of the releases would matter or interest you at all. most of the vets are lukewarm on them. Going back to rockets season tabulation threads less and less players are in the top SCL. so giving newbs something makes good business sense.

If they released a new 3* in place of a 4 or 5 every once in awhile I would totally agree with you.  But they are always added in addition to other characters so it's not really fair to compare a 3* release tacked on to another character with a standalone 4* release.  And yes, if you are a hardcore 5* player, all but three characters are benchwarmers.  That's a huge problem with the 5* tier, but that probably makes up less than 5% of the player-base.  I am definitely a "vet" and use a crazy amount of my roster having chosen not to transition to that tier.  That's why I specifically named BOTH the 4 and 5* tiers as the endgame depending on your goals.  By the way, as a 4* player I'm excited for both characters.  I've played Tasky in every event I could so far and will likely bring Cable up to a level that makes him playable with my 4s.

The only thing I disagreed with is that a 3* player has nothing new to chase if there's no new character.  That's like saying a person in the 4* tier has nothing to chase because we didn't get a non-limited 4*.  No, they have plenty of characters that while not new are new to them.  After Nebula's event I should have everyone (even all the limiteds) champed except Dazzler.  So it's safe to say I've finished the tier.  But I remember getting excited when we had a 5* release or a very occasional break in the release schedule just to allow me to catch up.  I was never bummed they didn't give me MORE characters to chase because I always had a mountain ahead of me. And when I finally finished Peggy Carter months after everyone else, it was pretty dang exciting even if she wasn't the newest released character.