5 year Anniversary events, how would you rate it?

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    A-Great
    Wontonz said:
    I was having a great time until the devs showed their true colors with the 200hp + Dino cover slap in the face 'compensation'.

"Showed their true colours" as if the bug was not a bug at all and entirely intentional to screw players over.

Come on, I know you're angry, but with hundreds of thousands of players in this game I doubt they have a way to charts and compensate every person for what they would have gained in the vault had it not reset.
  • kk3thess
    kk3thess Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    B-Above Average
    I would go for A, but I'll settle for B because I had internet problems and couldn't enjoy this anniversary properly. I'm bitter.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    B-Above Average
    I agree that if the Anniversary season were the norm, instead of the same-old same-old we usually get, then this game would be a lot more fun.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    C-Average
    The best part was the double iso, but it's only because they've made it once a year level of rare. 
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    D-Below Average
    Wontonz said:
    I was having a great time until the devs showed their true colors with the 200hp + Dino cover slap in the face 'compensation'.

"Showed their true colours" as if the bug was not a bug at all and entirely intentional to screw players over.

Come on, I know you're angry, but with hundreds of thousands of players in this game I doubt they have a way to charts and compensate every person for what they would have gained in the vault had it not reset.
    I have to agree with him on this.  I got pretty well screwed on this and was willing to be satisfied anyway on one condition, that the green cover gets switched for a purple.  It was the only color left in the vault and the only one I need.  I contacted them about it and got a generic "We don't do latest legends exchange anymore, use saved covers" message.  I dared to point out that his has nothing to do with that and since he is a limited character that I wouldn't be able to earn any more covers for for at least a year (the only reason I asked for the exchange) and the response was pretty unacceptable and it was a somewhat nice way of saying get lost.  Sorry, but this is all the signs of very poor support and that they really could care less about their player base.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    C-Average
    This anniversary didn't bring anything to the table we haven't already seen in anniversary celebrations. The best things were a (generous) new alliance event and double ISO, but neither of those things are new to anniversaries.

I didn't like Taskmaster and Cable being pushed as 'exciting new' releases. Big deal, they were just following the normal 2-week release schedule. The fact that both are 'fan favorites' was diminished by the fact that Taskmaster is limited and immediately neutered as a non-essential, unnecessary character that most of us will rarely use. If Cable had been a simultaneous 3-star/5-star release, that would have been more special.

The Fan Favorites vault was a nice way to give out some tokens, but again nothing out of the norm for anniversaries. The Cable vault, however, was a letdown since the other two 5-stars (Archangel, Gambit) are hardly desirable.

All in all, very average compared to the past. Which is fine. I didn't expect anything more, I thought the rewards throughout were very generous.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    A-Great
    Dormammu said:
     If Cable had been a simultaneous 3-star/5-star release, that would have been more special.
    I'm fairly certain that the overall (forum) response to 3*/5* paired releases in the past has not been "wow, this feels really special!".

• Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2018
    B-Above Average
    I gave it an Above Average.  I don't PvP, so can't comment on the Anniversary Season, but I liked the new Places of Power.  I would have given an A except PoP was poorly communicated (the given directions were misleading as if we could divide-up to get all rewards, when really that wasn't possible at all, and the best that could be done was splitting the alliance in half and aiming for the two big prizes, ignoring the little and med prizes) and there wasn't much special about the gameplay itself (no new villains, puzzles, or extra rewarding boss fight). 

Additional criticism:  I'll never play Taskmaster or Cable because it'll take too long to cover/level them.  The former is Limited, the latter is a 5*.  Which gives me sad feels.  Then the complete lack of Anniversary Support for Supports.  Sure some new ones came out, but they're still just as impossible to actually get; more so since you've only further diluted the pool without increasing the flow.

Still, most importantly:  I loved the double-ISO, all the CP I got, and Non-Competitive PvE, so take your B and aim for an A next year.  :)
  • Dormammu
    edited October 2018
    C-Average
    Dormammu said:
     If Cable had been a simultaneous 3-star/5-star release, that would have been more special.
    I'm fairly certain that the overall (forum) response to 3*/5* paired releases in the past has not been "wow, this feels really special!".
    Most of us on the forum are old codgers who don't remember what it's like to be in 2-star or 3-star land. I was still a primarily a 3-star player when the first 3/5 (Dr. Strange) was released and I thought it was pretty darn special.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    B-Above Average
    I think Strange was the only one of the 3/5* releases that was great. The rest you could do without. 
  • Dormammu
    C-Average
    I think Strange was the only one of the 3/5* releases that was great. The rest you could do without. 
    Thanos and Hawkeye might have an argument with you, but ok.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    C-Average
    Thanos was a good add too.   Gambit and StarLord were unnecessary.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    C-Average
    My short and sweet review:

I like the vault, got lots of good covers out of it. Not a fan of the new event and I wish they addressed dilution and character rebalances. 
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    B-Above Average
    Vins2 said:
    Thanos was a good add too.   Gambit and StarLord were unnecessary.
    Don't forget Archangel/Angel.
    Suppose not mentioning them furthers your point.

Maybe some players in 3-Star land might find a use for them, but pretty much every 3-Star version of a higher character (don't forget the forgettable 3-Star Elektra...) is low tier, with the obvious exception of Dr. Strange.
    Maybe it's also because there's so many better options to choose from?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    A-Great
    Dormammu said:
    I think Electra is a damn good 3-star (edit: though she wasn't a 3/5 release). Starlord, too. Hawkeye is amazing. Thanos and Strange are essential. Gambit was amazing(ly broken) before his nerf. As far as I'm concerned, the multi 3/5 releases have all been pretty good with the one exception being Angel.

Cable has some pretty neat mechanics that would be unique at the 3-star tier and I think that would have been a fun way to celebrate the anniversary, allowing more than just 5-star players to have something new - especially for a character as popular as Cable.
    Agreed. And Angel isn't a bad character by any means, he just doesn't stand out. Which makes him pale in comparison to Thanos, Strange, Hawkeye, and the (initially) broken Gambit.

I like the idea of some characters only being available at the 5* tier to make them special (we have plenty, Surfer, Bolt, Goblin, Jessica Jones, Kitty, now Cable), but having some as 3/5's so more people get to use the character (which is exactly what happened with the first 3/5, with Doctor Strange) is nice too, and I agree that having Cable as a 3/5 so that another tier of players gets a new character for Anniversary wouldn't have been a bad idea at all. Wouldn't be a bad general policy for the 5* that comes out around Anniversary to maximize the number of people that get to enjoy something new and shiny.
  • dlegendary0ne
    dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
    edited October 2018
    A-Great
    I enjoyed it - mainly because I could play at my own pace, and I got double iso for two weeks, which was great for my roster.  Time crunching in pve is my single biggest complaint about MPQ and Places of Power gave me a much needed break.  Hopefully the devs took notice and will make a permanent fix in story events.

But yeah, I finished champing all my champ-able 4*s and leveled up a 5*. I got a  ton of HP for vaults, and I got a few covers for Cable and Taskmaster.  I'm happy with that.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think delaying the “end game” (which to me is both the 4 and 5* tiers) for new players by releasing more 3* is actually bad for business. Saying, “3* players would like something new and shiny to chase” is actually false because as you transition ALL characters are new and shiny to you even if they are old hat to veterans. So it makes since they cut off the tap at some point as the game now mainly focuses on 4s (with 5s being that extra level that the hardcore players make it to). Another 3* character means a roster slot for new players that can’t afford them and for vets, a character they’ll likely never use. If you want to release another 3, then they have to have a unique enough power set that they provide utility for higher level rosters ala Strange or Thanos (Cable isn’t that).

However, if they were to do another 3/5 despite all I wrote I would appreciate it during anniversary when the iso is flowing.  An extra benchwarmer is much less annoying when given the iso to level them. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is my first anniversary celebration, so have nothing to compare to.

The good:

1) lots of Anniversary Vault Tokens. Any players can easily clear out 70% of the vault if they play every day.

2) got all 4500 HP = 4 roster slots = ~$30 worth

3) New Alliance events. 24 hours event. No placement = no rush. You can test out all the teams that you wanted to try. I don't get the displeasure for the "lack of information". I think the devs want the players to explore and work things out. I guess that's why they made it a 24 hour refresh event, instead of the usual 8 hours.

4) Generous Iso-8

I miss the infographics that they used to showcase in past anniversaries. I thought it's interesting. 

What could be better:

1) Free Beginner and Advanced Support Tokens (3/1 or 5/3 tokens respectively)

2) New story events with new enemies.

3) new tile type.

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    B-Above Average
    Dormammu said:
    Thanos and Hawkeye might have an argument with you, but ok.
    Fair enough on Thanos, not sure Hawkeye is a must have though.