How many healthpacks is "enough"?

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think my high was something like 45.  And I'm down to 14.  I subscribe fully to the never-more-than-10 philosophy, but ever since a champed Okoye entered my life, I rarely need to use them anymore.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    My roster is now large enough that I only have to use health packs for required characters and difficult 5* nodes. Normally 10 health packs is plenty. If I'm really pushing for something (like getting to 900 in PvP), I rarely find myself using more than 20-30.

EDIT: And for context, I have 54 champed 4*s. I have one 5* at 13 covers, but I haven't put a single ISO into any of my 5*s yet.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Scofie said:
    At present I have 1107 healthpacks.
    That is not enough. You need more. What's going to happen when you are in a tough PvP and you really need to push, but your main guys keep getting hurt? You might have to use 5 health packs, or so. If you did that, where would you be? In a world of hurt, that's where.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    To the OP, you're not the only one. I'm aware that in some instances I'm probably not playing absolutely optimally, because I should just take the damage, use a health pack if necessary, and move on. But I started off the game avoiding using them and I've never really shifted. It's not that I'm consciously hoarding them, it's just that I rarely use them, so they inevitably pile up. Either due to the characters I mainly use at present or slight shifts in my playing style I seem to have hit some kind of threshold around 500 health packs. I've been around there for ages with the occasional use of them being balanced out by the occasional ones you pick up.
    It's not that I would have any objection to being at 10 (or 9). That would be more than enough. It's just that I don't find enough need for them to use up those 490ish that I'd need to use to get back down to 10.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    The most I've ever had was 200ish, when I play PvP i use more.  I think I went through a ton one month when I burnt through a bunch in PvP and also had to burn a bunch for an alliance event.  I use them as needed but really just don't need them very often.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:
    I think my high was something like 45.  And I'm down to 14.  I subscribe fully to the never-more-than-10 philosophy, but ever since a champed Okoye entered my life, I rarely need to use them anymore.

I have a champed Okoye now and find one of two things are always true in matches I use her in.
    1) No yellow on the board, but lots of blue.
    2) Enough yellow to use her move, but never enough TU tiles it make it worth it.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards

I have a champed Okoye now and find one of two things are always true in matches I use her in.
    2) Enough yellow to use her move, but never enough TU tiles it make it worth it.
    Okoye is only mid tier by herself.  She only really shines with a AP battery like 1/2 thor.  If you can one-shot thor,  Okoye just folds like a kite.

• Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:

Okoye is only mid tier by herself.  She only really shines with a AP battery like 1/2 thor.  If you can one-shot thor,  Okoye just folds like a kite.

Okoye can still be a pain by healing herself. 
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

I have ten or fewer unless I have gone on a Taco Binge, and as others have said, the surplus from that usually lasts about a week or so.

I will say that I LOVE having the surplus while I have it, but I blow through them nonetheless.

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas said:

Yeah, combined with Thor50, or Chavez, I get enough board shake that I don't actually go for yellow matches.  I just make TU matches and watch as the required yellow AP shows up magically.
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,318 Chairperson of the Boards
    Update: I tried. I really did. I used them with wild abandon. Yesterday I got to 997 before a rogue taco pushed me above 1000 again. I must have gained 40 or so during the last few weeks so realistically I spent about 50 per week. Less than 10 a day.

Am now on a mission to break Time!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    I had been hoarding taco covers for a while and broke both hoards during the anniversary for HP.  I got up to like 120 health packs, which I think is a record for me.  They were gone in about 3 days.
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    I stayed below 10 for years but now that thorkoye is a thing I find I dont use them anymore. Currently up to 73.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Bowgentle said:
    If your HP are above 9 at any time, you're doing it wrong.
    This
  • AardvarkPepper
    AardvarkPepper Posts: 239 Tile Toppler
    BlackBoltRocks already commented on the mechanics of health pack regeneration, and other posters said you should be using them.  What they didn't mention was why.

Why you want to use health packs - speed.  You clear nodes faster, you have more time to do stuff with the rest of your day.  It's a quality of life thing.

Even if you're fine with giving up real life stuff to play the game, clearing nodes also carries benefits in PvE and PvP.  In PvE faster clears mean faster timer starts, and more time you can wait before starting your end runs to zero out nodes.  In PvP faster clears means less vulnerable time before you shield, or more matches you can get in for more points before the event closes.

Depending on the particular PvP or PvE event, you will use different teams and burn through health packs at different rates.  But so long as you're not using more than 10 every 6 hours (one every 36 minutes), there's almost certainly an advantage in speed to be gained.

If you're thinking "but I have over 1000 health packs and I don't want to spend them all" - real talk.  You would probably drop dead of exhaustion if you tried to use all those 1000 health packs in a short period.  And probably you are not using health packs a lot now.  So why not burn some off?  Who cares if it's 1000 or 100?  If you're not using them, it's no different from having 0.

Of course, there are probably some players that *do* want to stockpile health packs for particular reasons - like say they know a PvP event is coming up and they want to spam it for placement so they want a gigantic health pack reserve for that - or maybe they want to play up in PvE and try for placement even though they're outgunned.  But such players don't need to ask if they should or shouldn't save health packs, they know exactly why they are saving health packs and they've thought it through for themselves.

But if you're not such a player, and you're just saving health packs "just because" well again - 1000 or 0, if you don't use them, what's the difference?
  • Darth_VanDer
    Darth_VanDer Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    More than 10 is too many. They are basically free. I think I got up to 29 once, but I tend to burn them on Crash of the Titan events when my under-powered character is waiting for the MPQ gods to provide optimal board layouts. Also when regenerating whatever team I'm using for PVE when they wear down and the occasional PVP dabble.
  • Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,318 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cheers all. I accept all that. If I learnt anything during Anniversary it's that the Health packs would have regenerated faster than I'd have spent them.

I guess my only real argument would be how I used them in line with how I play the game. I probably used 25 or so of those in a couple of bursts, taking into account when I had free time to play and none on days where I was working or doing RL stuff at the time the slice ends/starts. 

I'd guess my best strategy is to use as I go during the week and make sure any extras are all gone by Monday morning. 
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    BlackBoltRocks already commented on the mechanics of health pack regeneration, and other posters said you should be using them.  What they didn't mention was why.

Why you want to use health packs - speed.  You clear nodes faster, you have more time to do stuff with the rest of your day.  It's a quality of life thing.

But taking damage from cascades and opponent powers also takes time. If you can win and keep winning without taking much damage, then that keeps things fast as well. It's not that I would have any problem with working with 10 or fewer health packs, or that I actively don't use them even when necessary - it's just that the need rarely arises, so they pile up.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    There are also some teams at the higher levels that are both fast for clearing *and* health-pack "resistant."  I've been using Thanos/OML/Silver Surfer for speed clears of higher level nodes.  Thanos and OML are both champed, and Silver Surfer is 2/4/4, with his heal taking care of about 6500 Health, or two Courting Deaths.

Likewise, using a Health Pack on 5-star Thor will slow you down considerably...until he gets back down to half health, anyway.  I don't know what colors he tanks and which ones Okoye takes when they're both champed, as my Okoye is a 2/3.4 right now.

For the faster clears on the lower level nodes, when there's no chance of getting 9 blue for the heal, I use Gambit as a meat shield.  He's the same level that he was pre-nerf, but gets used much, much less now.  As a result, he's a great third for the "Two matches, and Courting Death goes off" nodes.

Edit - I should clarify this...this is a PvE team, not a PvP team.  I don't do much PvP.