How many healthpacks is "enough"?

Scofie
Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,318 Chairperson of the Boards
I'm on Day 1784. When I started playing MPQ I didn't get enough healthpacks to play as I wanted so I made a subconscious decision to let my heroes heal naturally because "it was only an hour" until I could play again and I didn't have that many characters. 

To this day, I have followed the same thought process, only using healthpacks if I've run out of useful or buffed characters to help the grind - I've used them, but sparingly. Most of the time I'd rather pause the grind and lose placement than spend the healthpacks.

Today I went a bit crazy and used 4 because I'm on a train and C4rol got battered and there's not much else to do. It got me thinking about how other people use healthpacks and whether they hoard them, like others do with CP and tokens. 

At present I have 1107 healthpacks. And I still feel like I'm doing the wrong thing every time I use 1....

Do others do the same or use them as soon as they arrive?

Comments

• Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    If you if you are worried about it, hoard Taco Vault tokens until you need some health packs, then pull until you get them.  That way you take advantage of the ones that regenerate.
  • marshall
    marshall Posts: 179 Tile Toppler
    I don't try to hoard, but got up to 220 packs before moving to 5*/Gambitland, then down just 70 when he was finally nerfed. Now back to 210 thanks to Okoye. Inplay on SCL9 and use them semi liberally, but still save more than I use.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I’m sitting at a little over 700 myself. It’s not that I’m afraid to use them I just don’t normally play enough in a day to need them. Most days I just do the DDQ, occasionally I’ll play a little PvE if I like the event or the boosted characters. So when I do play I can play as much as I want because I know I’ll essentially never run out of health packs. 
  • Scofie
    I can't remember if healthpacks regenerated when I first started hoarding them but that's good to know as I will never use 10 at a time even if I get through my hoard....

It's the only thing I have ever really hoarded. Never hoarded Tacos, kept CP at 120 for a long time in case I needed to buy a 4* cover (before saved covers) but ended up spending them and gave always kept my HP reasonably down. I even spend my RIso as it arrives!

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Health pack regenerates every 36 minutes, so after 6 hours, you get back 10 healthpacks. 

10 is enough for me.
  • Scofie
    I’m sitting at a little over 700 myself. It’s not that I’m afraid to use them I just don’t normally play enough in a day to need them. Most days I just do the DDQ, occasionally I’ll play a little PvE if I like the event or the boosted characters. So when I do play I can play as much as I want because I know I’ll essentially never run out of health packs. 
    So it's mostly this - I generally don't do PvP due to time but I could play a little more at weekends if I spent healthpacks. I might go crazy on the train journey home and just blitz the Captain Marvel event. Once I get used to spending them I'm sure I'll get over it!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Scofie said:
    I can't remember if healthpacks regenerated when I first started hoarding them but that's good to know as I will never use 10 at a time even if I get through my hoard....

It's the only thing I have ever really hoarded. Never hoarded Tacos, kept CP at 120 for a long time in case I needed to buy a 4* cover (before saved covers) but ended up spending them and gave always kept my HP reasonably down. I even spend my RIso as it arrives!

Health packs have regenerated ever since the beginning of the game. The only change that has happened on that front is that they raised the cap for regeneration from 5 to 10 Health packs.

So 9 is the ideal number. You Always want the regeneration timer going.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,101 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lol! I got a 5 healthpack reward whilst playing C4rol's PvP and figured it was a good excuse to have a few more matches and burn 'em! I can't imagine having 50 in stock, let alone 1,000+!!!!!
  • Scofie
    I might make it my aim to burn them all during Anniversary...  :cold_sweat:  :D 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm currently at about 500ish health packs.

In PVE, I don't need them that much, and while having to heal up is more common in PVP, I don't play it frequently enough to make a major dent in my stockpile. I also just bought out about 80% of 2 taco vaults to add to that stockpile (while trying to get specific 4* covers).
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    My usual PvE team is 5-star Thor, OML, and either Strange or Thanos.  OML heals up, and Thor you want with less than half health.  If he's higher than half health, I use Thanos to get him there.  If he's below half health, I go with Strange.  Health Packs are for when I break into the PvP realm or get taken out in one of the event nodes.  I've got about 150 health packs or so.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    10 is enough.  I rarely have more than that.  I think my most is in the 70s and that was after opening a taco hoard that was like 150 items.  I don't think those 60 extra lasted a week.
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle said:
    If your HP are above 9 at any time, you're doing it wrong.
    I agree. They regenerate so why not use them. I guess it depends on your level of play or roster strength. I use them sparingly depending on how low the health of the character is relative to who the next oponents are. I'm a 4* player so I mostly use boosted 4*'s for that week and the new 5* since they are boosted for a while for extra match damage. The most I ever had saved was 20 and that's because I got some from DDQ and the PVP was not that hard that time. I guess the stronger you are the less you use them.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    If your HP are above 9 at any time, you're doing it wrong.
    Eh. Depends. Mine are at 14 right now, because I was at 9, but then my Resupply yesterday gave me 5 more, and I haven't needed another since then. I don't actively hoard, but sometimes they still end up above 9 just because of Resupply or Taco Tokens.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I play SCL7 for convenience, so it's not like I'm hoarding health packs, I just rarely have the occasion to use them.  I'm hovering somewhere in the low 100s.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    jeesh here i am thinking having 20 was too many......
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only time I run out of health packs is when PvP goes very badly and I get a losing streak.

Most of the time 10 is absolutely plenty. Thank God they upped it from the original 5...that definitely wasn't enough.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2018
    I think you're going to regret using these 4 health packs when you really need them.....  ;)

When you play a single player shooter game do you end the game with like 200 grenades you were saving for a though fight? For the longest time I did that, then I stopped and never looked back. for the way I play MPQ, 10 is how many health packs I need. If I'm short I just open a few taco tokens

When I have more (because I unleashed the taco hoard) I find myself not wanting to use them because they won't regenerate, weird huh?

edit: Oh to answer your question: what is the absolute most you ever used in a certain circumstance? double that and you'll be fine